I hate eating healthy....

Options

Replies

• Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    Hot Sauce. It makes anything taste great.

So true! And I've heard it boosts your metabolism... True or False?
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and blame my hormones if you'd like, but those of you who came here to shame OP and gave 0 advice are being absolute trolls.

She didn't even come close to saying "Tell me it's ok not to eat veggies"

She came for advice on how to do it because she knows she needs to.

Yes, she does need to suck it up and eat them. It's true. It's been done to death.

THIS is why posting on these forums sucks.

Remember, OP, that a ton of people posted recipes, as well as all of the people who, whether they could personally relate or not, gave good advice, whether it was delivered kindly or not.

Don't feed the trolls, and remember the ones that are trying to help. Lizziewhatever is being an instigator and knows it. She doesn't want you to do well, she wants you to be wrong. If you want to add someone, you can click on their username, or you can message them by using the dropdown arrow next to it. Don't let the ridiculousness keep you from posting if you have a question.

LOL thanks for giving me so much credit. That is an entirely fasle statement(s), I'm not an instigator (on purpose) and don't want her to fail. I just think some people are narrow minded and need to calm down. It's ok to "jump" down one person's throat b/c they didn't like what they have to say, but when somebody defends said person I'm being a terrible person?
    I agree with you there. I absolutely stood by what he said as correct. I get the feeling you may have been on MFP for some time, and have knowledge to share. I have too ( I rejoined in Dec 2012, but that's bc my profile went wonky and locked me out.) We get frustrated seeing these posts. I think people who've been around the block owe it to people with questions to give well thought out answers and patience, and if we don't have the patience, to stay the hell out of it. I want to punch my monitor when someone is about to do a lemon juice, cayenne, and maple syrup cleanse, or is selling Skinny Wraps to "detox fat cells" or whatever, but I am frustrated for people who come on here for advice and get blasted. Yeah, I was pretty fat when I first got on MFP. I was in the military and a former athlete, and I got injured and let myself get fat. I'm glad I didn't visit the forums for a long time ( I knew what I needed to do), because people blast you for your concerns instead of helping. When I see a dumbass post about how to lose 50 lbs for a wedding next weekend or raspberry ketones or whatever, I hit the back button. It's better for my mental health.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it?? I really dislike eating vegetables.... ek! There has got to be a way to eat them and they don't taste horribly awful?? :( I need some sort of motivation! My friend is a personal trainer, went to college and everything for it! And she wants me to eat salads.... I cant seem to choke it down!! How do I make it taste better than just tasting the lettuce... without smothering it in ranch :smile: One more thing... are there any runners out there? How do you train yourself to be a long distance runner??

put sweetner on your lettuce - it tastes great and you can nibble as much as you want .
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options

Looks like it does!

"Hot Sauce and Metabolic Rate

The impact of hot sauce on body temperature--and hence, overall metabolic rate--has a specific intensity and duration. According to Penn State, eating foods spiced with hot sauce can increase your body's metabolic rate by up to 20 percent. This increase in your body's metabolism can last for as many as 30 minutes, making spicy meals a viable option for temporarily speeding up your metabolism.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/410870-does-hot-sauce-speed-up-your-metabolism/#ixzz2WgKCiPkO
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like salad with lots of stuff in it - several different kinds of salad greens (there are so many to choose from; try them all), carrot curls (done with a potato peeler), any other vegetables available, grated low fat cheese, egg and/or meat, etc, low-fat dressing or even a generous sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. A salad can be a meal in a bowl!

If you haven't been eating vegetables, it can take awhile to develop the taste for them. Try new ones that you haven't tasted, and don't give up on them until you've tried several different ways of preparing them. Roasting dense vegetables (not watery ones like cucumbers or lettuce) tossed in a little oil with herbs is almost always a win.

Good luck!
  • Shaavo89
    Options
    give up and eat fried chicken, ice cream, alfredo sauce, etc etc....

I'm not giving up, would just like to know what everyone does to enjoy them so that maybe I can do the same thing? does my pic look like I eat fried chicken, ice cream, etc?? No I eat good food I just know that I need to be eating these veggies, couldn't figure out how to make them taste better.
  • Shaavo89
    Options

Looks like it does!

The impact of hot sauce on body temperature--and hence, overall metabolic rate--has a specific intensity and duration. According to Penn State, eating foods spiced with hot sauce can increase your body's metabolic rate by up to 20 percent. This increase in your body's metabolism can last for as many as 30 minutes, making spicy meals a viable option for temporarily speeding up your metabolism.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/410870-does-hot-sauce-speed-up-your-metabolism/#ixzz2WgKCiPkO

Nice! Hot sauce on everything it is!
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are great to get your vegetables in! They are made from combining a base of greens with fruit. There are many recipes online. When you first start out only add about 3/4 c. of spinach (or other greens), then slowly increase once you're used to the taste. Add ice, spinach and fruit/vegetables of your choice and blend. One of my favorites is 1 c. spinach, half a banana, an apple, and half a tablespoon of peanut butter. You can't even taste the spinach!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    ... I've always been a super picky eater, I guess I was much more stubborn than my mother growing up because she finally gave up on forcing me to "try" things. I'm in the same boat with veggies, fruits and whole grains. I seriously can NOT eat them, I can not even bring myself to try. It is totally mental, I admit it. The sight, smell, anticipation of texture all just turn me off and I can't, I can't ... (my husband teases me that I'm like George's mother in Seinfeld who refuses to sleep in the bed after she finds out George got busy in it ... "I can't, I can't" ... but seriously, complete shut down).

People say "just try it" ... maybe I am clinical. My throat shuts down, I'll get emotional and break down and I just know I'll throw up if I put that thing in my mouth. I do realize it's irrational, but I've been this way for 40 years, I've made it this far and I just figure I'm too old to change. Logically I KNOW that I'm probably going to pay with some health problems (although nothing thus far). I know veggies are healthy and perfectly fine to eat. I have no problem with anyone eating them around me, I buy them, cook them, encourage the kids to try them (I can't force them to try as it's totally hypocritical as I won't myself).

I've never had a salad or a smoothie. I've don't do dressings, spices or sauces (other than Alfredo). I've never had a fruit other than completely raw/ plain (that sometimes works out ok, no apple pie or peach cobbler for me). I'll eat green beans (go figure), peas, cauliflower, broccoli (with butter, or in chicken alfredo), and I'm ok with corn, potatoes and carrots (of course I like the starchy ones). I seriously haven't ever had any other vegetables. Can't even comprehend trying to drink a v-8.

My finicky eating habits do have weight loss advantages at times too, I've never had hamburger, pizza, hotdogs (no, not vegetarian, love chicken, steak, some fish), coke or any alcohol either. It really made the dating days awkward! I get frustrated as almost all the "healthy" recipes and eating plans just don't work for me ... if I do eat healthy, then it is really repetitive and boring, but I know I have no one to blame but myself.
  • Getmesize3
    Options
    Try Ken's dressing! my dad hates vegetables but we put some lite raspberry walnut vinaigrette on a huge bed of spinach with a few berries and he said "wow this is delicious!", and ate another bowl!
    Also, try to copy popular salads from fast food places/fancy restaurants, they have some of the best ideas!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I wasn't and still am not the hugest vegetable fan. However, I have gotten much better at eating and trying new vegetables over the last few years. I have all kinds of seasonings, dressings, and methods to kick of the flavor of my vegetables. Like some have said, just do it! I try to eat my vegetables before the dishes or sides I know I have no problem finishing. So before I can get to my treats, carbs, or meat, I try to finish my vegetables. Mom used to make me eat all my veggies before I could go out and play, so I look at it that way. :happy:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

Looks like it does!

That's the best news I've had all day!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i'm not reading though all those pages so i apologize if this was said... regarding how to get the veggies in if you don't like them... there are several sites like this one: http://www.thesneakychef.com/ that have tricks for sneaking veggies into kid's foods lol. I bet the same strategies work with adults!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Lettuce has pretty much zero nutritional value so if you don't like it, don't eat it. It only serves as a filler for people who want to eat a lot without getting a lot of calories. Move on to something you do like that has some nutritional value. I would only eat lettuce as something to put ranch dressing on because drinking it straight out of the bottle just seems wrong somehow!
  • Shaavo89
    Options
    Lettuce has pretty much zero nutritional value so if you don't like it, don't eat it. It only serves as a filler for people who want to eat a lot without getting a lot of calories. Move on to something you do like that has some nutritional value. I would only eat lettuce as something to put ranch dressing on because drinking it straight out of the bottle just seems wrong somehow!

Haha! Ya drinking it out of the bottle just isn't right! lol Good call! Maybe I will just use it as a filler! And eat something after that but less of it, then jog like a wild animal!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

That isn't true, however all lettuce is not equal, nutritionally speaking. Lettuces like romaine, red leaf lettuce, and some of the spring greens mixes are extremely nutritious, and they are generally not high in oxalic acid, which prevents absorption of iron, like spinach is. Leafy greens are important too.
  • KenosFeoh
    Options
    Speaking of dressing, I always hated the light varieties until I tried Marie's Creamy Light Ranch Dressing. It's pretty good. A couple of the "Light Done Right" varieties are pretty good, too, but I haven't had any of them recently because I'm kind of stuck on the Marie's.
  • KenosFeoh
    Options
    That isn't true, however all lettuce is not equal, nutritionally speaking. Lettuces like romaine, red leaf lettuce, and some of the spring greens mixes are extremely nutritious.

So true! I really like mix with arugula in it, although too much arugula can be overwhelming.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    its hard for me to answer this...healthy eating sort of came with results. i didnt just start eating healthy one day..it became a gradual thing. the more healthy i ate, the better i felt and more importantly the better i looked.
    so slowly and gradually over the course of an entire year my eating and lifestyle changed...i learned to like broccoli, carrots, peas, mushrooms and so on...i learned to like the taste of grilled chicken on its own and the results came quicker. i started seeing abs...my muscles grew bigger...that simply motivated me to keep going.
    but over the past year i also learned about healthy cooking, seasoning my foods, going low sodium, cutting sugar, replacing fatty sauces with healthier alternatives....at first i didnt like it, but gradually it all changed into my lifestyle. i even used to cheat once a week..even that stopped....results came even faster and stayed for longer and now im the happiest i`ve ever been with my physique and lifestyle cause its sustainable.

one in a while eating these "dirty" foods isnt gonna do you any harm...moderation does not kill. it is in fact the key!
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe Beachiron can learn a little about manners from his toddler.

A million times THIS.