The TRUTH about Plexus - can someone tell me?

Options

Replies

• rebeccamekare
    Options
    I've just started Plexus, I am still a little skeptical.. but a few of my friends have tried it and said it worked great. So I fell for it. But at the time I bought it, I didn't consider the amount of stress those women were dealing with. And stress makes you lose weight pretty quick. And I usually don't buy into these diet fads. I think it's sort of a placebo effect. I think this drink makes me not hungry. .so I won't eat. Hey I lost weight, must be that drink! Well..I'm a few weeks in, and it's not yet working on me. Just makes me nauseous. And like the nauseous you get the next day after six too many drinks. So then I eat in hopes to soak up the sick. I'm also trying to count calories and exercise. But I forget or get too lazy. I'm hoping that I can trick myself into thinking this stuff works. Because it's kinda pricey. And I purposefully looked up Plexus bad reviews, and I got this forum. I made an account just so I could reply. Everything I read everywhere sounds like a sales pitch, another pyramid scheme preying on the women interested in fad diets. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one getting sick from it. And tell me if you lost pounds.
  • rebeccamekare
    Options
    Although i most definitely agree with you, I can't say I've had any positive effects besides trying to change lifestyle because I'm paying for this.stuff. so.far..it makes me ridiculously . nauseated everyday
  • mercy42
    mercy42 Posts: 1
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    glad you are here- some people are so freaking rude!!!!

i start plexus this week! im so excited! all my friends have awesome results so i hope i do too! people are seriously rude though on here....
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    1. The plexus company is an MLM aka Network marketing or what we used to call a Pyramid Scheme. It has "Ambassadors" which attempt to collect other Ambassadors who all must swear by the product in order to sell the product. They put millions into brainwashing representatives into an automaton like state to blanket the heath market like billboarded soldiers and teach them the lingo which leads to more sales through weak minded hungry for results or fast money "sales" people. As a result, 1% of those people actually see any kind of residual, and that residual barley covers the cost that it took to join the program.

2. Taking ANY supplement for weight loss is potentially dangerous. This one ranks high on the "put it back on the shelf" list. Here are two non biased resources that aren't blogs dedicated to promoting drug use:

https://www.tga.gov.au/safety/alerts-medicine-plexus-slim-accelerator-capsules-130716.htm#.U0LKTvldVAU (Banned in Australia)

The accelerator pills contain "GeranaX" which is the companies fancy term for Geranium and is on the FDA's illegal substance for weight loss supplement list: http://hprc-online.org/dietary-supplements/files/DMAA_List.pdf

3. Using these drugs and diet aides does nothing to encourage your relationship with food. REAL food. You either need to dope yourself up for the rest of your life and quite possibly damage your internal organs. OR you can use that money to work with a nutritionist and learn how to understand and feed your body with actual food.

You ladies don't need magic beans and wizard potions, just common sense dedication and hard work. I don't mean to be blunt? But these quick fix "As seen on TV" answers to optimal health are lazy and dangerous. Your body deserves better.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Quick search on the internet and found this webpage:

http://www.tga.gov.au/safety/alerts-medicine-plexus-slim-accelerator-capsules-130716.htm#.U0LQpvldWOA

It's the Australian Goverment website, the article is from last year.

"The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Plexus Slim Accelerator capsules and Plexus Slim Accelerator 3 Day Trial pack capsules and found that:

They contain the undeclared banned chemical 1,3-dimethylamylamine (DMAA)
    Consumers are advised that DMAA is listed in Appendix C of the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (SUSMP). Substances within Appendix C are of such danger to health as to warrant prohibition of sale, supply and use.

Risks associated with its use include high blood pressure, psychiatric disorders, bleeding in the brain and stroke."

I think that last line pretty much sums up why you shouldn't be taking it.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Quick search on the internet and found this webpage:

http://www.tga.gov.au/safety/alerts-medicine-plexus-slim-accelerator-capsules-130716.htm#.U0LQpvldWOA

It's the Australian Goverment website, the article is from last year.

"The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Plexus Slim Accelerator capsules and Plexus Slim Accelerator 3 Day Trial pack capsules and found that:

Consumers are advised that DMAA is listed in Appendix C of the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (SUSMP). Substances within Appendix C are of such danger to health as to warrant prohibition of sale, supply and use.

Risks associated with its use include high blood pressure, psychiatric disorders, bleeding in the brain and stroke."

I think that last line pretty much sums up why you shouldn't be taking it.

Check my post just above yours... I listed that same report, and noted the FDA is also after products containing the substance too.
  • nikkihk
    Options

i start plexus this week! im so excited! all my friends have awesome results so i hope i do too! people are seriously rude though on here....

People are rude because they would prefer you not damage your internal organs or promote a product to others that could cause severe damage to their health? Interesting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

People are rude because they would prefer you not damage your internal organs or promote a product to others that could cause severe damage to their health? Interesting.

I read a great article yesterday that had this quote:

"we react to threatening information by mobilizing our intellectual artillery to destroy it."

I guess "you're so rude!" is the biggest intellectual artillery some people have.
  • romans1216
    Options
    so, I hear a lot about this whole Plexus Slim thing. The main reason I am skeptical is because in the US, alternative supplements are not tested, and most consumers are blissfully unaware of harmful ingredients, and only pay attention to what the product advertising says about what is in it, not the hidden ingredients. I just read a warning that the Australian government put out in 2013 for the Plexus Accelerator;

Plexus Slim Accelerator capsules and Plexus Slim Accelerator 3 Day Trial pack pose a serious risk to your health and should not be taken.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Plexus Slim Accelerator capsules and Plexus Slim Accelerator 3 Day Trial pack capsules and found that:

Risks associated with its use include high blood pressure, psychiatric disorders, bleeding in the brain and stroke.

Further information about DMAA can be found on the TGA website
    Canada has also banned this product as it has adopted the warning that the Australian TGA put out.

I have heard nothing bad of Plexus Slim...yet...but as a soon to be RN, I can say, please be careful! Most companies have clever ways of hiding harmful chemicals and only advertising the beneficial aspects of the product, and in the US, they are allowed to do this! Every time, without fail, once a product like this has been on the market long enough, side effects, and serious health affects are reported and the product ends up just something else on the shelf, and again people are told to eat a healthy, well rounded diet, and exercise frequently. If you ARE taking or considering taking these products watch for any changes in your blood pressure, new, unexplained headaches, sudden vision changes, if diabetic, decreased sensitivity to normal regimen of medicines, or stomach intolerances, I would highly advise discontinuing the use of this product, and seeing a physician immediately if any of those occur.
  • JKIslas
    JKIslas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I looked at the TGA site online and you are right; this stuff looks like it can be harmful! Wish the FDA would start testing OTC products here in the USA.
  • JKIslas
    JKIslas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please do not disregard the warnings others have given you. I work in safety reporting for approved medications to the FDA and other regulatory authorities. Too many products are out there that are not tested because they are herbal or over the counter type supplements. The TGA is a well known and respected organization; so please read their warning carefully then decide. No supplement is worth hurting your body over. Good luck.
  • cherylstokes714
    Options
    Thaaank you!
  • lisardockery
    Options
    I would love to see a list of ingredients in Plexus!
  • stlgirlie
    Options
    I've been going back and forth about joining MFP (I'm in a group on facebook where we are all trying to lose weight) Anyway - I decided to join after watching this thread for awhile. One of my friends recently became an ambassador for Plexus Slim... my concern (in addition to the obvious health concerns) is that Dimethyamylamine (DMAA) “looks” like amphetamines (“speed”) and can cause one to pop positive on a drug test. Does Plexus Slim definitely contain DMAA? I would really hate to risk a positive drug test in order to drop a few pounds.

I had a 7 day sample of the stuff and tried it like 6 months ago, it just made me pee more frequently (probably because I felt dehydrated and literally drank water all day) and it made me feel a bit jittery. I did lose 2 or 3 pounds during that week but didn't purchase the product again because I don't like the jittery feeling it gave me. My friend who recently became an ambassador swears it doesn't make her jittery BUT her opinion may be biased because she is trying to get me to buy it :)
  • theeisenhauers
    Options
    I am only on day 3 of Plexus 7 day trial, also given to me, and I've lost nothing. I did read a bunch about it and there is nothing that will hurt you, it's "all natural" (whatever that means as it it's not FDA regulated). Here's where you can read about a Plexus trial (link below), the results of the test being weight loss and reduced glucose levels. The product, their website says, was originally planned to be a way to reduce and stabilize glucose levels, but producing it as a weight loss product is easier (no FDA approvals needed) so they went the easy route. Understandable if their goal was cash. Anyway, I've seen no difference in my appetite, sugar cravings or weight. BUT I'm only on day three. YES, I'm drinking the recommended amount of water.

http://plexustrim.net/plexus-slim-test-results/
  • sacagawea
    sacagawea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you can't really ask someone to give you an honest review about something and expect them to not make it sound like a sales pitch if they had a good experience with it. they will most likely have positive things to say about it. I lost 57lbs in 6 months back in 2012 just by counting calories and I was so excited about it that most people who asked me how I lost the weight said that I should be in sales because I've convinced them to try it.

Please keep your negativity towards others and name calling out of this, you are not here to judge.

I have no experience with plexus, but I was interested in hearing reviews when I came across this thread and some judgemental comments against the original person and other people's positive comments. Really??

My personal opinion about weight loss drinks or pills is to talk to your doctor first.
  • JensRiot
    JensRiot Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am only on day 3 of Plexus 7 day trial, also given to me, and I've lost nothing. I did read a bunch about it and there is nothing that will hurt you, it's "all natural" (whatever that means as it it's not FDA regulated). Here's where you can read about a Plexus trial (link below), the results of the test being weight loss and reduced glucose levels. The product, their website says, was originally planned to be a way to reduce and stabilize glucose levels, but producing it as a weight loss product is easier (no FDA approvals needed) so they went the easy route. Understandable if their goal was cash. Anyway, I've seen no difference in my appetite, sugar cravings or weight. BUT I'm only on day three. YES, I'm drinking the recommended amount of water.

http://plexustrim.net/plexus-slim-test-results/

Isn't this "trial" irrelevant since they changed the formula in 2013? Also, 8 people don't make a reliable study. I suggest supplement geek .com for a breakdown of the ingredients, new and old formula.
  • ashleyputnam
    Options
    I can give you some insight on plexus. It is all natural and 100% safe. It works well for diabetics because it helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels also it helps very obese people. Recommended is max 3 lbs a day weight loss by dr's whether its natural or by diet pills or what ever. I understand your worry but it is safe all natural look up all the ingredients listed. Hope it helps.
  • deb2boogie
    Options
    I know lots of folks that swear by Plexus so I tried the one week package with the accelerator. Note: I rarely even take ibuprophen.
    That said after four days of the accelerator and the plexus drink I did loose weight, however, I was also unable to sleep and felt like I was going ninety to nothing. I stopped taking it an experienced severe muscle cramps in my upper torso as well as a drop in energy which I'm assuming would be like that of someone coming off of a drug addiction. It was not pleasant or fun and certainly not worth losing 4lbs over. I have used my Fittness Pal and also joined Weight Watchers and now have learned to eat healthier and make better choices regarding food. The weight comes off slower but in the process I am developing heathy eating habits :)

So to answer you question, only your Mom's body can judge if taking Plexus is best for her at this point in her battle with weight, so many use it but it's what happens if you stop that concerns me.
This discussion has been closed.