clean eating

Options

Replies

• raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Wow very impressive, could we put this at the top of every nutrition thread.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Also, do you have any studies to support your claim that all people who eat clean inevitably binge, or is that just hyperbole or an anecdotal assertion?

Using anecdotes to support ridiculous claims is the first play called from the internet debate playbook.

It's a stall tactic to buy time to find a poorly executed study that made it an obscure journal where the author's cronies were the peer reviewers and the journal editors...

If he's just exaggerating, it's fine to acknowledge that, and I'm not going to get on him about it, because I don't consider internet debates to be Serious Business. But I do think it's important to clarify, especially since he relates it to the development of an eating disorder. Too many people out there already who think that an eating disorder is something you "get" like a communicable disease.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You're making some awfully sweeping, and incorrect, assumptions. Let's take Froot Loops as a food I wouldn't eat for a number of reasons, including the artificial colors and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

I said foods or food groups. I'm not necessarily talking about the main food groups on the pyramid when I say "food groups". For example, cutting out all foods containing gluten when you aren't allergic to gluten is cutting out a food group, or group of foods containing gluten.
    Not eating Froot Loops doesn't mean I have excluded the food group of grains.

Already addressed this, I said foods and food groups, froot loops is a food. Also, you can say that all foods containing artificial colors and hydrogenated vegetable oil is itself a food group and it sounds like you've cut out that entire group too.
    I haven't run into Froot Loops in decades.

Thank you for your ridiculous example lol. Most people don't just cut out one specific type of breakfast cereal and nothing else.
    I wouldn't take a bite and even if I had this wouldn't trigger a binge or an eating disorder O_o

Congratulations, you are in the minority

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is one of the better ways to succeed at CICO without tracking calories...

+1 for accidental calorie deficit.

Is "clean eating" a healthier way to get fat if CI>CO?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.

What food group would be cut by 'clean eating'? Individual foods, sure, but we cut individual foods for various personal reasons.

I sort of addressed this in my reply to the poster above you. I'm not talking about the main food groups on the pyramid, I'm referring to sub groups of foods. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. For example, foods with gluten, foods with added sugar, foods with artificial colors, processed foods as a whole, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.

What food group would be cut by 'clean eating'? Individual foods, sure, but we cut individual foods for various personal reasons.

I sort of addressed this in my reply to the poster above you. I'm not talking about the main food groups on the pyramid, I'm referring to sub groups of foods. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. For example, foods with gluten, foods with added sugar, foods with artificial colors, processed foods as a whole, etc.

Do you really think if I cut gluten and then add it back it would make me binge? Like wheat and barley are a binge triggers but rice and quinoa are not? I disagree, but if it were true it sounds like an excellent reason to cut gluten.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    "Clean eating" is one of the better ways to succeed at CICO without tracking calories...

+1 for accidental calorie deficit.

Is "clean eating" a healthier way to get fat if CI>CO?

IMO it usually is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I don't buy foods with artificial colors, but I have attended birthday parties with cakes with artificially colored frosting, and one serving certainly did not trigger a binge, eating disorder, or orthorexia.
  • AJ_G
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Why would I eat a food that I don't eat? Where are these parties where only one food is served, and who is forcing me to eat food at the party? Why would I go to a sporting event or eating establishment during a night out, and order something that I don't eat? I'm not a clean eater, but that makes no sense no matter how you eat.

Also, do you have any studies to support your claim that all people who eat clean inevitably binge, or is that just hyperbole or an anecdotal assertion?

If you've only cut out one specific food, yea maybe you can go your whole life without ever eating it again, but the more restrictive the diet, the harder it is to avoid the restricted foods indefinitely. Studies have shown that rigid diets are associated with eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10336790

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11883916

• AJ_G
    Options

Do you really think if I cut gluten and then add it back it would make me binge? Like wheat and barley are a binge triggers but rice and quinoa are not? I disagree, but if it were true it sounds like an excellent reason to cut gluten.

I'm not saying you binge if you add it back on a permanent basis, but if it remains a restricted food and you encounter one instance where you decide to make an exception, or have a "cheat day" as so many clean eaters love to have, chances are you will binge on that gluten containing food. Not to mention that when foods with naturally occurring gluten that have been stripped of gluten, they lose a lot of the micronutrients that were present, so I don't understand the notion that eating gluten free is better for you if you don't have Celiac.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I'm not saying you binge if you add it back on a permanent basis, but if it remains a restricted food and you encounter one instance where you decide to make an exception, or have a "cheat day" as so many clean eaters love to have, chances are you will binge on that gluten containing food. Not to mention that when foods with naturally occurring gluten that have been stripped of gluten, they lose a lot of the micronutrients that were present, so I don't understand the notion that eating gluten free is better for you if you don't have Celiac.

I don't understand the notion that eating gluten free is better for you if you don't have Celiac or gluten intollerance either. But then I don't understand the notion that eating noodles with gluten will make binge but rice noodles will not. Neither makes a bit of sense to me.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me, means more fresh foods, veggies, fruits, meats and anything that grows from a tree or in the ground, the less it's processed the better etc..
  • AJ_G
    Options

I don't understand the notion that eating gluten free is better for you if you don't have Celiac or gluten intollerance either. But then I don't understand the notion that eating noodles with gluten will make binge but rice noodles will not. Neither makes a bit of sense to me.

The notion of going on a binge in terms of gluten containing foods usually occurs when you partake in consuming gluten containing desserts that also have sugar in them. They are much more likely to trigger a binge than say eating wheat pasta instead of rice noodles like you said. I don't want to get super sidetracked on the gluten specifically because the thread is about clean eating, but most people that "eat clean" avoid added sugar and processed foods and this is where the real culprit lies when it comes to binging.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Why would I eat a food that I don't eat? Where are these parties where only one food is served, and who is forcing me to eat food at the party? Why would I go to a sporting event or eating establishment during a night out, and order something that I don't eat? I'm not a clean eater, but that makes no sense no matter how you eat.

If you've only cut out one specific food, yea maybe you can go your whole life without ever eating it again, but the more restrictive the diet, the harder it is to avoid the restricted foods indefinitely. Studies have shown that rigid diets are associated with eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape

I wouldn't necessarily characterize clean eating as rigid. Less convenient than eating convenience foods, sure, but not so much rigid. Your studies didn't define rigid eating but I found this:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/8130552_Rigid_and_flexible_control_of_eating_behavior_in_a_college_population

3c7abc1f8403183300def52c2dea54dc.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The notion of going on a binge in terms of gluten containing foods usually occurs when you partake in consuming gluten containing desserts that also have sugar in them. They are much more likely to trigger a binge than say eating wheat pasta instead of rice noodles like you said. I don't want to get super sidetracked on the gluten specifically because the thread is about clean eating, but most people that "eat clean" avoid added sugar and processed foods and this is where the real culprit lies when it comes to binging.

OIC I don't know about most people, but sugars like honey, maple syrup and molasses are generally considered clean by people I've met. Table sugar, not so much.
  • AJ_G
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily characterize clean eating as rigid. Less convenient than eating convenience foods, sure, but not so much rigid. Your studies didn't define rigid eating but I found this:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/8130552_Rigid_and_flexible_control_of_eating_behavior_in_a_college_population

You wouldn't characterize clean eating as an "all or nothing" approach? I don't think there is a less flexible form of dieting than clean eating, at least none that I've come across. There is a reason most nutritionists debate "Clean Eating vs. Flexible Dieting" as the two main forms of dieting on two ends of the spectrum. Clean eating is not flexible at all, it is extremely rigid.
  • kshama2001
    Options

You wouldn't characterize clean eating as an "all or nothing" approach? I don't think there is a less flexible form of dieting than clean eating, at least none that I've come across. There is a reason most nutritionists debate "Clean Eating vs. Flexible Dieting" as the two main forms of dieting on two ends of the spectrum. Clean eating is not flexible at all, it is extremely rigid.

I do all of the things associated with Flexible Dieting:

- plan and self-regulate caloric intake, including small amounts of sweets
    - An individual with higher FC could plan for periods of increased consumption (such as an event later in the day) by eating less beforehand or could respond to a period of increased consumption by eating less afterwards.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

This makes me think they are using a very different definition of clean eating than just the standard 'natural and un/minimally processed'. Because simply avoiding overly processed and synthetic foods still allows for a very flexible diet.
  • AJ_G
    Options

This makes me think they are using a very different definition of clean eating than just the standard 'natural and un/minimally processed'. Because simply avoiding overly processed and synthetic foods still allows for a very flexible diet.

That depends highly on your definition of a processed food, which is itself subjective.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That depends highly on your definition of a processed food, which is itself subjective.

Yes, I have read some posts that claim to think picking an apple is processing. But my definition wouldn't matter, that used in the study would.