AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.

Why would I eat a food that I don't eat? Where are these parties where only one food is served, and who is forcing me to eat food at the party? Why would I go to a sporting event or eating establishment during a night out, and order something that I don't eat? I'm not a clean eater, but that makes no sense no matter how you eat.

Also, do you have any studies to support your claim that all people who eat clean inevitably binge, or is that just hyperbole or an anecdotal assertion?

If you've only cut out one specific food, yea maybe you can go your whole life without ever eating it again, but the more restrictive the diet, the harder it is to avoid the restricted foods indefinitely. Studies have shown that rigid diets are associated with eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10336790

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11883916

I wouldn't necessarily characterize clean eating as rigid. Less convenient than eating convenience foods, sure, but not so much rigid. Your studies didn't define rigid eating but I found this:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/8130552_Rigid_and_flexible_control_of_eating_behavior_in_a_college_population

3c7abc1f8403183300def52c2dea54dc.png

You wouldn't characterize clean eating as an "all or nothing" approach? I don't think there is a less flexible form of dieting than clean eating, at least none that I've come across. There is a reason most nutritionists debate "Clean Eating vs. Flexible Dieting" as the two main forms of dieting on two ends of the spectrum. Clean eating is not flexible at all, it is extremely rigid.

I do all of the things associated with Flexible Dieting:

- plan and self-regulate caloric intake, including small amounts of sweets
    - An individual with higher FC could plan for periods of increased consumption (such as an event later in the day) by eating less beforehand or could respond to a period of increased consumption by eating less afterwards.

Ok, so let's talk about the all or nothing aspect as opposed to calorie management. Anybody can keep a weekly calorie deficit as opposed to a daily. As a clean eater, there are certain foods that you've labeled as bad for you. Would you ever allow yourself to eat these foods that you have decided are bad?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.

Why would I eat a food that I don't eat? Where are these parties where only one food is served, and who is forcing me to eat food at the party? Why would I go to a sporting event or eating establishment during a night out, and order something that I don't eat? I'm not a clean eater, but that makes no sense no matter how you eat.

Also, do you have any studies to support your claim that all people who eat clean inevitably binge, or is that just hyperbole or an anecdotal assertion?

If you've only cut out one specific food, yea maybe you can go your whole life without ever eating it again, but the more restrictive the diet, the harder it is to avoid the restricted foods indefinitely. Studies have shown that rigid diets are associated with eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape

I wouldn't necessarily characterize clean eating as rigid. Less convenient than eating convenience foods, sure, but not so much rigid. Your studies didn't define rigid eating but I found this:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/8130552_Rigid_and_flexible_control_of_eating_behavior_in_a_college_population

You wouldn't characterize clean eating as an "all or nothing" approach? I don't think there is a less flexible form of dieting than clean eating, at least none that I've come across. There is a reason most nutritionists debate "Clean Eating vs. Flexible Dieting" as the two main forms of dieting on two ends of the spectrum. Clean eating is not flexible at all, it is extremely rigid.

This makes me think they are using a very different definition of clean eating than just the standard 'natural and un/minimally processed'. Because simply avoiding overly processed and synthetic foods still allows for a very flexible diet.

That depends highly on your definition of a processed food, which is itself subjective.

Technically, when I pick a strawberry from my garden and throw it in the freezer, I have processed it, but most people mean convenience foods when they say 'processed foods.'

Convenience food, or tertiary processed food, is food that is commercially prepared (often through processing) to optimize ease of consumption. Such food is usually ready to eat without further preparation. It may also be easily portable, have a long shelf life, or offer a combination of such convenient traits. Although restaurant meals meet this definition, the term is seldom applied to them. Convenience foods include ready-to-eat dry goods, frozen foods such as TV dinners, shelf-stable foods, prepared mixes such as cake mix, and snack foods.
  • kshama2001
    Options

- An individual with higher FC could plan for periods of increased consumption (such as an event later in the day) by eating less beforehand or could respond to a period of increased consumption by eating less afterwards.

Ok, so let's talk about the all or nothing aspect as opposed to calorie management. Anybody can keep a weekly calorie deficit as opposed to a daily. As a clean eater, there are certain foods that you've labeled as bad for you. Would you ever allow yourself to eat these foods that you have decided are bad?

I've already said that while I don't buy foods with artificial colors, if I'm at a birthday party with cake with artificial colors, I will have a piece.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This makes me think they are using a very different definition of clean eating than just the standard 'natural and un/minimally processed'. Because simply avoiding overly processed and synthetic foods still allows for a very flexible diet.

That depends highly on your definition of a processed food, which is itself subjective.

Technically, when I pick a strawberry from my garden and throw it in the freezer, I have processed it, but most people mean convenience foods when they say 'processed foods.'

Convenience food, or tertiary processed food, is food that is commercially prepared (often through processing) to optimize ease of consumption. Such food is usually ready to eat without further preparation. It may also be easily portable, have a long shelf life, or offer a combination of such convenient traits. Although restaurant meals meet this definition, the term is seldom applied to them. Convenience foods include ready-to-eat dry goods, frozen foods such as TV dinners, shelf-stable foods, prepared mixes such as cake mix, and snack foods.

What is meant by "ready to eat dry goods". Cold breakfast cereals?
  • AJ_G
    Options

Yes, I have read some posts that claim to think picking an apple is processing. But my definition wouldn't matter, that used in the study would.

There was no definition given for processed food in either of the studies I linked. Are you referring to a different study?
  • AJ_G
    Options

I've already said that while I don't buy foods with artificial colors, if I'm at a birthday party with cake with artificial colors, I will have a piece.

Ah so you're not a clean eater, we're on the same page then :-)
  • AJ_G
    edited August 2015
    Options

What is meant by "ready to eat dry goods". Cold breakfast cereals?

This is a describes some food that can be called processed but does not clearly define what is processed and what is not. This also infers that some people refer to as processed but is not a definition.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yes, I have read some posts that claim to think picking an apple is processing. But my definition wouldn't matter, that used in the study would.

There was no definition given for processed food in either of the studies I linked. Are you referring to a different study?

Without definition of terms any article or study is extremely subjective and therefore mostly meaningless.
  • kshama2001
    Options

So your definition of eating clean requires 100% compliance?
  • AJ_G
    Options

Without definition of terms any article or study is extremely subjective and therefore mostly meaningless.

A study about rigid dieting is not meaningless just because there's no definition of a processed foods. The fact that people are cutting foods out of their diet in the first place makes the diet rigid, not what they are cutting out.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I imagine it would depend on your diet and lifestyle. I have no problem avoiding fast food, prepackaged meals like Stouffer's lasagna, or the above-mentioned Froot Loops. I'm not even a clean eater.

I can't see anything beyond the abstracts, but from your first link: The second strongest canonical correlation (r=0.59) associated calorie counting and conscious dieting with overeating while alone and increased body mass.

It would appear most of MFP is doomed. Doomed!

But it also states that only a small portion of the participants were dieting for weight loss, and it compares flexible dieting to calorie counting/conscious dieting, and to low dietary restraint. Does this mean calorie counting and conscious dieting is supposed to be rigid dieting? That's not the same as restricting food groups or certain foods.

From the second study: Since this was a cross sectional study, causality of eating disorder symptoms could not be addressed.

All that means is that they found a correlation, and the data collected was self-reported, which is notorious for being flawed. It's unfortunate that neither study has the full text, because they don't address what they mean by the terms "rigid dieting" "strict dieting" and "flexible dieting." You can't really extrapolate the studies to this conversation without knowing whether the definition of "strict" or "rigid" dieting is in line with clean eating.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No matter what type of eating plan you have...the possibility of binging exists.

You say they ALL binge...are there studies that have been done verifying this?

Is the same thing true for vegans and vegetarians? If they take a bite of meat will they binge?

I don't demonize food...I eat a well balanced diet...I include all food groups...I have the occasional binge.

• AJ_G
    Options

The one common thing I have seen that links all people who are eating clean is that they have the belief that there are foods that are good for you and bad for you in every context and in any amount. If you believe that, then eating the food you belief to be bad for you would be harming yourself, and why would you do that? If someone does not hold the above stated belief, I do not consider them to be a clean eater. For example, some people believe that added sugars are bad for you regardless of the context or amount and that consuming any amount of added sugar is bad for you. Other people believe that broccoli is good for you, and always good for you in any context. This logic is flawed and that's why I believe clean eating is flawed.
  • kshama2001
    Options

The one common thing I have seen that links all people who are eating clean is that they have the belief that there are foods that are good for you and bad for you in every context and in any amount. If you believe that, then eating the food you belief to be bad for you would be harming yourself, and why would you do that? If someone does not hold the above stated belief, I do not consider them to be a clean eater. For example, some people believe that added sugars are bad for you regardless of the context or amount and that consuming any amount of added sugar is bad for you. Other people believe that broccoli is good for you, and always good for you in any context. This logic is flawed and that's why I believe clean eating is flawed.

Who are these "they"?
  • AJ_G
    Options

I imagine it would depend on your diet and lifestyle. I have no problem avoiding fast food, prepackaged meals like Stouffer's lasagna, or the above-mentioned Froot Loops. I'm not even a clean eater.

I can't see anything beyond the abstracts, but from your first link: The second strongest canonical correlation (r=0.59) associated calorie counting and conscious dieting with overeating while alone and increased body mass.

It would appear most of MFP is doomed. Doomed!

But it also states that only a small portion of the participants were dieting for weight loss, and it compares flexible dieting to calorie counting/conscious dieting, and to low dietary restraint. Does this mean calorie counting and conscious dieting is supposed to be rigid dieting? That's not the same as restricting food groups or certain foods.

From the second study: Since this was a cross sectional study, causality of eating disorder symptoms could not be addressed.

All that means is that they found a correlation, and the data collected was self-reported, which is notorious for being flawed. It's unfortunate that neither study has the full text, because they don't address what they mean by the terms "rigid dieting" "strict dieting" and "flexible dieting." You can't really extrapolate the studies to this conversation without knowing whether the definition of "strict" or "rigid" dieting is in line with clean eating.

Here's a link to a full study that I found finally.

http://www.goallab.nl/publications/documents/MeulePapiesKubler2012Appetite.pdf

Yea it's unfortunate that for some studies you can only see the abstract. It's too bad that you have to pay for scientific findings haha.

I absolutely agree that correlation studies are much weaker than something proving causation, but at the same time it can't be completely discredited.

It is true that much of the evidence for restrictive diets leading to unhealthy behavior is anecdotal, but time and time again, nutritionists and dietitians have seen the results of restrictive dieting over and over again, and that cannot be discounted. Maybe it has not been studied enough, but that does not mean it isn't occurring.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Who are these "they"?

The "they" was referring to "people who are eating clean". It was in the same sentence, like two words before "they".
  • kshama2001
    Options

Who are these "they"?

The "they" was referring to "people who are eating clean". It was in the same sentence, like two words before "they".

People eating clean that you know personally? People eating clean from the MFP boards?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I believe that partially hydrogenated oils are bad for me in any amount and any context, but I still occasionally eat them. I don't see how that is odd.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I have yet to come across anyone who says that they eat clean, on MFP, and in my personal life(of which there are many) who doesn't believe at least one of these statements:

1. There are good and bad foods, and you should never eat any of the bad foods.

2. There are good and bad foods, and you should only eat a small number of the bad foods to limit the damage.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I believe that partially hydrogenated oils are bad for me in any amount and any context, but I still occasionally eat them. I don't see how that is odd.

because, pie...

apple-pie.jpg