AJ_G wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.

Why would I eat a food that I don't eat? Where are these parties where only one food is served, and who is forcing me to eat food at the party? Why would I go to a sporting event or eating establishment during a night out, and order something that I don't eat? I'm not a clean eater, but that makes no sense no matter how you eat.

Also, do you have any studies to support your claim that all people who eat clean inevitably binge, or is that just hyperbole or an anecdotal assertion?

If you've only cut out one specific food, yea maybe you can go your whole life without ever eating it again, but the more restrictive the diet, the harder it is to avoid the restricted foods indefinitely. Studies have shown that rigid diets are associated with eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10336790

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11883916

I wouldn't necessarily characterize clean eating as rigid. Less convenient than eating convenience foods, sure, but not so much rigid. Your studies didn't define rigid eating but I found this:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/8130552_Rigid_and_flexible_control_of_eating_behavior_in_a_college_population

3c7abc1f8403183300def52c2dea54dc.png

You wouldn't characterize clean eating as an "all or nothing" approach? I don't think there is a less flexible form of dieting than clean eating, at least none that I've come across. There is a reason most nutritionists debate "Clean Eating vs. Flexible Dieting" as the two main forms of dieting on two ends of the spectrum. Clean eating is not flexible at all, it is extremely rigid.

This makes me think they are using a very different definition of clean eating than just the standard 'natural and un/minimally processed'. Because simply avoiding overly processed and synthetic foods still allows for a very flexible diet.

That depends highly on your definition of a processed food, which is itself subjective.

Yes, I have read some posts that claim to think picking an apple is processing. But my definition wouldn't matter, that used in the study would.

There was no definition given for processed food in either of the studies I linked. Are you referring to a different study?

Without definition of terms any article or study is extremely subjective and therefore mostly meaningless.

A study about rigid dieting is not meaningless just because there's no definition of a processed foods. The fact that people are cutting foods out of their diet in the first place makes the diet rigid, not what they are cutting out.

I disagree. Without definitions the study tells us little. Is cutting foods what is meant by "rigid"? Is it all that is meant? What foods? How many foods? Do calories remain the same, or is there also severe calorie restriction?

Without knowing what is meant by "rigid" the study is as meaningless as the phrase "clean eating" without a definition.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    According to...

United States Code, 2010 Edition
    Title 21 - FOOD AND DRUGS
    CHAPTER 9 - FEDERAL FOOD, DRUG, AND COSMETIC ACT
    SUBCHAPTER II - DEFINITIONS

(gg) The term “processed food” means any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration, or milling.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title21/html/USCODE-2010-title21-chap9-subchapII.htm
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Sure it can work, but the question is for how long? The more foods and food groups you cut out of your diet because they've been arbitrarily labeled "dirty", the more difficult it is to adhere to your diet. When you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you eat one of those foods again (a friend's party, sporting event, night out, etc.) and you have one bite of your now forbidden food, you're going to binge on that food, and that is extremely unhealthy, and can develop into an eating disorder. Some clean eaters go a month without binges, some can go 6 months or even a year without binges, but in the end they all binge, it's only a matter of when. Don't become an orthorexic, create a healthy, sustainable diet that focuses on hitting healthy calorie and macronutrient goals, and not demonizing food groups.

Why would I eat a food that I don't eat? Where are these parties where only one food is served, and who is forcing me to eat food at the party? Why would I go to a sporting event or eating establishment during a night out, and order something that I don't eat? I'm not a clean eater, but that makes no sense no matter how you eat.

Also, do you have any studies to support your claim that all people who eat clean inevitably binge, or is that just hyperbole or an anecdotal assertion?

If you've only cut out one specific food, yea maybe you can go your whole life without ever eating it again, but the more restrictive the diet, the harder it is to avoid the restricted foods indefinitely. Studies have shown that rigid diets are associated with eating disorder, mood disturbances, and excessive concern with body size/shape

I imagine it would depend on your diet and lifestyle. I have no problem avoiding fast food, prepackaged meals like Stouffer's lasagna, or the above-mentioned Froot Loops. I'm not even a clean eater.

I can't see anything beyond the abstracts, but from your first link: The second strongest canonical correlation (r=0.59) associated calorie counting and conscious dieting with overeating while alone and increased body mass.

It would appear most of MFP is doomed. Doomed!

But it also states that only a small portion of the participants were dieting for weight loss, and it compares flexible dieting to calorie counting/conscious dieting, and to low dietary restraint. Does this mean calorie counting and conscious dieting is supposed to be rigid dieting? That's not the same as restricting food groups or certain foods.

From the second study: Since this was a cross sectional study, causality of eating disorder symptoms could not be addressed.

All that means is that they found a correlation, and the data collected was self-reported, which is notorious for being flawed. It's unfortunate that neither study has the full text, because they don't address what they mean by the terms "rigid dieting" "strict dieting" and "flexible dieting." You can't really extrapolate the studies to this conversation without knowing whether the definition of "strict" or "rigid" dieting is in line with clean eating.

Here's a link to a full study that I found finally.

http://www.goallab.nl/publications/documents/MeulePapiesKubler2012Appetite.pdf

Yea it's unfortunate that for some studies you can only see the abstract. It's too bad that you have to pay for scientific findings haha.

I absolutely agree that correlation studies are much weaker than something proving causation, but at the same time it can't be completely discredited.

It is true that much of the evidence for restrictive diets leading to unhealthy behavior is anecdotal, but time and time again, nutritionists and dietitians have seen the results of restrictive dieting over and over again, and that cannot be discounted. Maybe it has not been studied enough, but that does not mean it isn't occurring.

Thanks, I'll have to read it later, no time now. FTR, I don't disagree that restriction can lead to issues with binging or disordered thoughts about food, I'm just not sold on it being tied to a particular eating style as much as simply a function of the individual. I think people who go overboard with restricting food items would be just as likely to go overboard with something like calorie counting or exercise, especially if they have obsessive tendencies initially.
  • sunkissmarie
    sunkissmarie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my opinion clean eating is unprocessed, natural plant based foods with lean fat. I eat pretty heathy majority of the time & throw in a few foods that are low in fat & calories that might might be the healthiest but are still fit my calories for the day. For example I love animals crackers & have them for a snack a lot. They don't have many nutrient benefits but are low in fat & calories & fit my eating lifestyle. I do not think 100% clean eating will work long term. People tend to binge a lot on that type of diet. So I suggest finding healthy foods u like such as sweet potatoes, avacodo & also some other foods that are maybe not so healthy but not completely bad for u that still fits your diet. Such as I love whole wheat pancakes but like to dress it up with light syrup & peanut butter & cinnamon. Maybe not the healthiest meal but a lot better than eating regular pancakes with regular syrup. I also think that once ppl lose their weight they should have a cheat day once a week. It helps u to keep on track during the week. I have been eating like this for 3 years & it works for me. I hardly ever am tempted to have a cookie chocolate etc because I eat healthy foods that I like. I also do not crave that junk food because I rarely eat it. Is much rather prefer some dates & natural peanut butter over icecream
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I imagine it would depend on your diet and lifestyle. I have no problem avoiding fast food, prepackaged meals like Stouffer's lasagna, or the above-mentioned Froot Loops. I'm not even a clean eater.

I can't see anything beyond the abstracts, but from your first link: The second strongest canonical correlation (r=0.59) associated calorie counting and conscious dieting with overeating while alone and increased body mass.

It would appear most of MFP is doomed. Doomed!

But it also states that only a small portion of the participants were dieting for weight loss, and it compares flexible dieting to calorie counting/conscious dieting, and to low dietary restraint. Does this mean calorie counting and conscious dieting is supposed to be rigid dieting? That's not the same as restricting food groups or certain foods.

From the second study: Since this was a cross sectional study, causality of eating disorder symptoms could not be addressed.

All that means is that they found a correlation, and the data collected was self-reported, which is notorious for being flawed. It's unfortunate that neither study has the full text, because they don't address what they mean by the terms "rigid dieting" "strict dieting" and "flexible dieting." You can't really extrapolate the studies to this conversation without knowing whether the definition of "strict" or "rigid" dieting is in line with clean eating.

Here's a link to a full study that I found finally.

http://www.goallab.nl/publications/documents/MeulePapiesKubler2012Appetite.pdf

Yea it's unfortunate that for some studies you can only see the abstract. It's too bad that you have to pay for scientific findings haha.

I absolutely agree that correlation studies are much weaker than something proving causation, but at the same time it can't be completely discredited.

It is true that much of the evidence for restrictive diets leading to unhealthy behavior is anecdotal, but time and time again, nutritionists and dietitians have seen the results of restrictive dieting over and over again, and that cannot be discounted. Maybe it has not been studied enough, but that does not mean it isn't occurring.

Thanks, I'll have to read it later, no time now. FTR, I don't disagree that restriction can lead to issues with binging or disordered thoughts about food, I'm just not sold on it being tied to a particular eating style as much as simply a function of the individual. I think people who go overboard with restricting food items would be just as likely to go overboard with something like calorie counting or exercise, especially if they have obsessive tendencies initially.

Yea, I can definitely agree with that
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    According to...

United States Code, 2010 Edition
    Title 21 - FOOD AND DRUGS
    CHAPTER 9 - FEDERAL FOOD, DRUG, AND COSMETIC ACT
    SUBCHAPTER II - DEFINITIONS

(gg) The term “processed food” means any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration, or milling.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title21/html/USCODE-2010-title21-chap9-subchapII.htm

Apparently when I buy boneless skinless chicken breast from the grocery store and go home and freeze it, it becomes processed. You learn something every day...
  • AJ_G
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily characterize clean eating as rigid. Less convenient than eating convenience foods, sure, but not so much rigid. Your studies didn't define rigid eating but I found this:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/8130552_Rigid_and_flexible_control_of_eating_behavior_in_a_college_population

3c7abc1f8403183300def52c2dea54dc.png

You wouldn't characterize clean eating as an "all or nothing" approach? I don't think there is a less flexible form of dieting than clean eating, at least none that I've come across. There is a reason most nutritionists debate "Clean Eating vs. Flexible Dieting" as the two main forms of dieting on two ends of the spectrum. Clean eating is not flexible at all, it is extremely rigid.

This makes me think they are using a very different definition of clean eating than just the standard 'natural and un/minimally processed'. Because simply avoiding overly processed and synthetic foods still allows for a very flexible diet.

That depends highly on your definition of a processed food, which is itself subjective.

Yes, I have read some posts that claim to think picking an apple is processing. But my definition wouldn't matter, that used in the study would.

There was no definition given for processed food in either of the studies I linked. Are you referring to a different study?

Without definition of terms any article or study is extremely subjective and therefore mostly meaningless.

A study about rigid dieting is not meaningless just because there's no definition of a processed foods. The fact that people are cutting foods out of their diet in the first place makes the diet rigid, not what they are cutting out.

I disagree. Without definitions the study tells us little. Is cutting foods what is meant by "rigid"? Is it all that is meant? What foods? How many foods? Do calories remain the same, or is there also severe calorie restriction?

Without knowing what is meant by "rigid" the study is as meaningless as the phrase "clean eating" without a definition.

Fair enough, in return I'd ask you why you think it can be beneficial to completely cut certain foods out of your diet?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I eat clean because I wash my hands before I sit at the table. Works every time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eating a healthy diet is not an eating disorder.

Binging on junk food is not something that all healthy eaters do.

I realize that some people here have had eating disorders. Whatever they need to do to manage them is great and what they should do. However, not everyone has an ED.

Assuming that people without EDs will suddenly develop them because they chose to eat healthy food...as if that's some foregone conclusion...it's ludicrous.

Please do not demonize healthy diets.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Eating disorders are actual mental illnesses. You don't develop a disorder because you eat a healthy diet.

While some people with EDs do obsess about healthy food, many don't. Many anorexics eat junk food. Anorexics, bulimics, BED people - you'll find people in all those groups eating junk foods.

Eating healthy is not a mental illness. It doesn't lead to mental illness.

Will you next be saying that people should stop lifting weights so that they don't become muscle dysmorphics?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I eat clean because I wash my hands before I sit at the table. Works every time.
    Agree.

Who the hecks eats dirty food!?!!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Eating a healthy diet is not an eating disorder.

I realize that some people here have had eating disorders. Whatever they need to do to manage them is great and what they should do. However, not everyone has an ED.

Assuming that people without EDs will suddenly develop them because they chose to eat healthy food...as if that's some foregone conclusion...it's ludicrous.

Please do not demonize healthy diets.

I don't demonize healthy diets, I demonize irrational diets that aren't based on any sound science and lead to bad relationships with food...
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You could both lose or gain weight while eating "clean" if you're at a caloric deficit or surplus. From a nutrition and body composition standpoint eating healthily matters, but solely for weight loss? It doesn't.

I think when people say "clean eating" there's a purist mindset. Eat this, not that. Bad foods, good foods. It's not a realistic long term way to look at weight loss. That used to be me.

I used to be convinced I couldn't lose weight unless I got rid of all junk food. It just perpetuated an "all or nothing" mentality and I just kept failing because of my unrealistic expectations for myself. Now I follow IIFYM, make room for foods I like, am not constantly feeing as if Im failing, and have had a shift in mindset. I am also losing more weight now, and feel much more satisfied.

Why make it harder than you have to?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would classify myself as a healthy eater as opposed to a clean eater. I make sure to consume plenty of foods that are high in nutrients and i examine my food log to make sure I'm hitting my goals for protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. But to me, healthy eating also includes modest amounts of foods that I love, including salty snacks, chocolate, wine, ice cream. . . and yes, occasionally Froot Loops. I nearly always stay within my calories; if I go over, it was purposeful for a special occasion. And I've been able to maintain for nearly three years.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I would classify myself as a healthy eater as opposed to a clean eater. I make sure to consume plenty of foods that are high in nutrients and i examine my food log to make sure I'm hitting my goals for protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. But to me, healthy eating also includes modest amounts of foods that I love, including salty snacks, chocolate, wine, ice cream. . . and yes, occasionally Froot Loops. I nearly always stay within my calories; if I go over, it was purposeful for a special occasion. And I've been able to maintain for nearly three years.
    Bravo!!!

• J72FIT
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You could both lose or gain weight while eating "clean" if you're at a caloric deficit or surplus. From a nutrition and body composition standpoint eating healthily matters, but solely for weight loss? It doesn't.

I think when people say "clean eating" there's a purist mindset. Eat this, not that. Bad foods, good foods. It's not a realistic long term way to look at weight loss. That used to be me.

I used to be convinced I couldn't lose weight unless I got rid of all junk food. It just perpetuated an "all or nothing" mentality and I just kept failing because of my unrealistic expectations for myself. Now I follow IIFYM, make room for foods I like, am not constantly feeing as if Im failing, and have had a shift in mindset. I am also losing more weight now, and feel much more satisfied.
    The bolded is why the "clean eating" mentality is flawed...
    Exactly, why...?
  • J72FIT
    Options

If you are binging on anything your eating is disorder...
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

The bolded is why the "clean eating" mentality is flawed...
    Exactly, why...?

For some people it is not unrealistic nor is it hard. If it is unrealistic and/or hard for you...then don't attempt it. Just don't judge others on what you can or can not do.

Someone can eat "dirty"...someone can eat "clean"...makes no difference to me. I choose to eat in a way that fits in to MY life...not someone elses.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone who says they eat clean has their own definition. There is no consensus, one agreed-upon-by-everyone definition.

I eat healthy. I have lots of fruits and veggies, no-fat dairy, whole grains, and lean, white meats. And tuna. If that fits for someone's definition of "clean", yay. If not, that's okay, too. If they don't include me in their idea of "clean," I'm not offended or hurt and wish them well with their plan.

My objective is to be healthy, not to follow a diet plan. So I eat what is right for me. Everyone should do what is right for them. :)

I largely agree with this and think it's a good way to look at it.

My hang up is that clean eating just really doesn't mean anything specific (as you say), so anyone who claims to be a "clean eater" is just generally saying they eat "better" than others, which of course is presumptuous and probably not true, so I find it obnoxious.

If people want to be obnoxious, their business, though. I'm trying to not be bugged.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I have seen many people state clean eating does not work. I'm just curious, how do you define clean eating? In your opinion, what is it's successes, or failures. What is it's opposite dirty eating?

When you say it doesn't work - in what way?? to nourish the body and to keep the person alive??

Clean eating is whatever you want it to be. I'm not sure there is any particular or definitive guide.

I'm sure it's just a better and healthier way of eating to the standard diet.

This pinpoints what annoys me about the "clean eating" claim. I suspect most of us -- including those of us who don't go on and on about how we are "clean eaters" or think our diets deserve special labels -- try to eat healthy and likely eat better than the standard diet (which in the US anyway has plenty of issues). So when someone claims they are a "clean eater," I see them as saying their diet is "better and healthier" than those who aren't clean eaters, and of course that's not true often.

More to the point, their food is not actually "cleaner," so that choice of word seems designed to be rude and to insult others by calling their food not clean.