The low calorie liquid diet (LCLD) part 2

Options
Hiya guys,

Last week I made a post on the above diet.

Pretty much all of you advised against this stating it was dangerous (even though the hospital had put me on this diet) and that the results won't last. Some even took the time to privately message me to say my diet wouldn't even work full stop!

Well here I am, 8 days later and amazingly 7lb lighter! This is with no medication, no excersize just vitamins, milk and water.

I have to say that never have I felt so optimistic about a diet in my life.

Also in regards to risking putting all the weight back on, here's an article which explains
weight loss after 1 year introducing food:

http://www.gponline.com/liquid-weight-loss-diet-could-replace-surgery/nutrition/article/1169073

If you are overweight and unhealthy and your doctor knows this, please ask to be referred to an obesity clinic at your local hospital.

I've been on other online discussions with people who have been on this (friends and strangers) and they have said nothing but good has come of it, as long as you commit and slowly introduce food then there is nothing to worry about.

Also next time someone tries to talk about a diet that may sound ridiculous to you, please don't put them off. We all need to try these things and I'm so glad I did.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think eight days is a bit soon to declare that this works and the results will last. Most of us here have had experience with losing water weight quickly on very low calorie diets.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

Also this is a public forum, opinions are going to be posted that you may or may not agree with.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Come back to us in 8 months.
  • Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think eight days is a bit soon to declare that this works and the results will last. Most of us here have had experience with losing water weight quickly on very low calorie diets.

Well I've lost 7lb so it does work. If you're talking about long term effects that's in the article as I've already explained
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt they work, they are still CICO.

The problem is the long term effects of them. Muscle loss, digestive system, hair loss etc.. I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks on a VLC liquid diet, but I felt awful and didn't trust that it was healthy, because it isn't.

If you can lose a chunk of weight by it, then do so if that's what you choose, but it's probably not the best way of doing it. It's fast though, and for some people that the only thing they can do to keep their motivation.

Good luck in your journey! :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Well I've lost 7lb so it does work. If you're talking about long term effects that's in the article as I've already explained

Any time you lose that much weight in such a short period of time, a lot of it is going to be water. I'm sorry if that wasn't explained to you by your doctors.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Also, watch out for the uncontrollable urge to eat when you come off it.. it's crazy.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    There's no doubt they work, they are still CICO.

The problem is the long term effects of them. Muscle loss, digestive system, hair loss etc.. I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks on a VLC liquid diet, but I felt awful and didn't trust that it was healthy, because it isn't.

If you can lose a chunk of weight by it, then do so if that's what you choose, but it's probably not the best way of doing it. It's fast though, and for some people that the only thing they can do to keep their motivation.

Good luck in your journey! :)

Thank you versacam
  • Beezyweez
    Options

Any time you lose that much weight in such a short period of time, a lot of it is going to be water. I'm sorry if that wasn't explained to you by your doctors.

It was explained but that won't stop me from smiling seeing that graph go down
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    1You are only 8 days in, so drawing conclusions about it this early is naively premature
    2. You only have 9lbs to lose according to your ticker, so why have the Ps pit you on a diet, notwitshanding its meedcially supervised.
    3. Theres no data about people not regaining after.

The average patient in that study is 290lbs i.e obese
    The average loss after 12 months is 28lbs
    An MFPer on 1lb a week would have lost 52lbs at a 500 calorie deficit or more.

If its supervised by your Dr then good luck, but anyone is going to lose weight on 820 calories a day.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    This seems so miserable.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Why would a hospital put you on this diet? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why were you in the hospital?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It was explained but that won't stop me from smiling seeing that graph go down

I'd rather smile as I lose fat while retaining as much lean muscle mass as possible. But good luck.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You won't be smiling if your hair falls out. :(
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Who knows, how much does hair weigh?
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    1You are only 8 days in, so drawing conclusions about it this early is naively premature
    2. You only have 9lbs to lose according to your ticker, so why have the Ps pit you on a diet, notwitshanding its meedcially supervised.
    3. Theres no data about people not regaining after.

The average patient in that study is 290lbs i.e obese
    The average loss after 12 months is 28lbs
    An MFPer on 1lb a week would have lost 52lbs at a 500 calorie deficit or more.

If its supervised by your Dr then good luck, but anyone is going to lose weight on 820 calories a day.

My goal is what I'm supposed to be after four weeks, I set my goal every month instead of as a whole it seems alot easier that way.

I'm not drawing conclusions I'm letting people know how I'm getting on so far I have a long journey ahead of me.

A year is a long time. Please define long term effects, 10 years, 30 years? The only way you can make results last is if you stick to it. I'm sure if you stuck to this you will stay thin. Just like proper diet and exercise (which is what I will be on in a few months) this diet is simply to kick start weightloss
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly, the number of calories in this diet are somewhere between 1100 and 1200 per day. If you had eaten real food in that calorie range for 8 days, you likely would have the same results. There is nothing special about your liquid diet other than the fact that it requires you to do absolutely nothing in the way of gaining long term weight control skills.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Why would her hair fall out? U bow see its in reference to the 2nd post. From what ive seen there should be no reason for her hair to fall out as the diet is nutrient rich.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Good for you.

Also this is a public forum, opinions are going to be posted that you may or may not agree with.

Opinions are fine, putting someone down when they are at their lowest with nothing but negative remarks is NOT.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Come back to us in 8 months.

Don't you worry I will
This discussion has been closed.