The low calorie liquid diet (LCLD) part 2

Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How many calories will you be consuming with this diet?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think eight days is a bit soon to declare that this works and the results will last. Most of us here have had experience with losing water weight quickly on very low calorie diets.

Well I've lost 7lb so it does work. If you're talking about long term effects that's in the article as I've already explained

Any time you lose that much weight in such a short period of time, a lot of it is going to be water. I'm sorry if that wasn't explained to you by your doctors.

It was explained but that won't stop me from smiling seeing that graph go down

You do realise if its just water weight then it will go right back up again once you restock on water?

OP see what you have to say about it in a year or two. Theres also more to it than just simple weight loss and many peopel decide getting fit and healthy with the benefit of exercise is also a good target. People who have lost weight here have done so using calorie counting and tradutional methods. Why did the Dr pit you on a vlcd with so little to lose?
  • Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    Also, watch out for the uncontrollable urge to eat when you come off it.. it's crazy.

Lol I had that urge since day 1 so not looking forward to that. :neutral:
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You won't be smiling if your hair falls out. :(

Why would her hair fall out?

Very low calorie diets done for long periods of time can cause hair thinning/loss.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

If I remember right, it was somewhere between 1100 and 1200. I'm trying to remember the diet. I think it was 9 cups of semi-skimmed milk (a bit less than 2%), one serving of Jello, some broth, and then one or two other items per day.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You sound determined, so I'm sure you will succeed.

A lot of the problem with VLCD diets, especially liquid one's, is keeping the weight off once the diet ends. So just be mindful of that and plan for it, plus the increase in appetite.

People have bad opinions on it because there are some bad effects from VLCD diets, but that's for you to weigh up the pro's and cons.

I hope you get the kick-start you need, but if you feel ill at all, then please just switch to a calorie counted diet of 1200>1400 (depending on your stats).. Your health is the most important thing.

Good luck.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    Why would a hospital put you on this diet? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why were you in the hospital?

I was referred by my doctor after having no luck with losing weight. The hospital put me on the diet for 2 reasons:

1. To kick start weightloss
    2. To consider me for biatric surgery, if they can't help me lose weight then this diet would be the one I'd need to go on before and after surgery so they need to know I can follow instructions :smile:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I thought we weren't allowed to promote VLCD?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

If I remember right, it was somewhere between 1100 and 1200. I'm trying to remember the diet. I think it was 9 cups of semi-skimmed milk (a bit less than 2%), one serving of Jello, some broth, and then one or two other items per day.

Just wow.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Why would a hospital put you on this diet? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why were you in the hospital?

I was referred by my doctor after having no luck with losing weight. The hospital put me on the diet for 2 reasons:

2. To consider me for biatric surgery, if they can't help me lose weight then this diet would be the one I'd need to go on before and after surgery so they need to know I can follow instructions :smile:

Lol.. you know things are bad when you hear "kick start weight loss"
  • Beezyweez
    Options

I consume roughly 1000 calories a day which is 200 under what women should take if dieting but it will only be for the first 4 weeks. Once they are over I'll be consuming more
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds in two weeks in water weight just from restricting calories alone.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    Also, watch out for the uncontrollable urge to eat when you come off it.. it's crazy.

Lol I had that urge since day 1 so not looking forward to that. :neutral:

No, it's worse than the normal urge, and that's why it fails for a lot of people. :/

Once you start to eat it's like you've come out of a famine and you want to eat everything, especially carbs and sugar. My experience was of a 650 kcal a day liquid diet, so you may not be so bad if it's 1100-1200.

I've tried all sorts over the years, still fat.. I'm finally realising now that there is no easy option, quick fix etc.. it's all hard and ANY diet will work, you just have to stick to it.

Are you planning to exercise on this diet? and if so, will you be able to eat more?
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    I think eight days is a bit soon to declare that this works and the results will last. Most of us here have had experience with losing water weight quickly on very low calorie diets.

Well I've lost 7lb so it does work. If you're talking about long term effects that's in the article as I've already explained

Any time you lose that much weight in such a short period of time, a lot of it is going to be water. I'm sorry if that wasn't explained to you by your doctors.

You do realise if its just water weight then it will go right back up again once you restock on water?

OP see what you have to say about it in a year or two. Theres also more to it than just simple weight loss and many peopel decide getting fit and healthy with the benefit of exercise is also a good target. People who have lost weight here have done so using calorie counting and tradutional methods. Why did the Dr pit you on a vlcd with so little to lose?

I already have to consume atleast 2 pints of water a day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I already have to consume atleast 2 pints of water a day.

That makes no different.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the number of calories in this diet are somewhere between 1100 and 1200 per day. If you had eaten real food in that calorie range for 8 days, you likely would have the same results. There is nothing special about your liquid diet other than the fact that it requires you to do absolutely nothing in the way of gaining long term weight control skills.

Jem OK so if there's nothing special about it then why is it replacing weightloss surgery? I consume less than that btw.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options

But if you're losing weight on a vlc, all liquid diet...then you would lose weight on a calorie deficit. Why not just put in the extra effort to learn the skills you will need to keep the weight off?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck in your journeys. Most of us are concerned with losing fat and don't care much about losing water and muscle. If all you care about is the scale number, have a blast. I am guessing since you are considering surgery you are pretty heavy so I don't think an 1000 calorie liquid diet will do you much harm, but it does seem rather pointless. You could absolutely get the same, if not better, results from eating real food.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I thought we weren't allowed to promote VLCD?

We aren't. It's likely this post will be removed.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You won't be smiling if your hair falls out. :(

Why would her hair fall out?

Very low calorie diets done for long periods of time can cause hair thinning/loss.

Theres no record ( no data) that it happens with this diet, so its a bit general, It doesnt happen to everyone. Thye have made a focus of the diet being nutrient rich.

In balance the diet does look like a possible alternative v bariatric surgery. Its medically supervised so it has some credibility. Still bemused why someone with only 9lb to lose would be put on it as the aeticle suggests its for obese and severely obese patients, where the benefits of losing weight are significant.
This discussion has been closed.