The low calorie liquid diet (LCLD) part 2

Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    Wow. If you ate high protein, low carb 1200 calorie diet plus exercise and eating your exercise calories, you would drop weight even faster since your metabolism would be in a higher gear. You also wouldn't atrophy and lose muscle, in fact muscle gains help burn calories.

This just sounds miserable compared to eating normal, healthy food and getting the same or better gains. But, it's your life, have at it. Good luck. Interested to see how this does for you. I can't see this being at all beneficial. I'll be eating my 1700-1800 high protein calories every day and loving it, thank you.

Thanks I'll give it a mention on my next check up :smile: to be honest I'm more bothered not being able to have alcohol lol. I'll deffo keep everyone posted and promise to hold my hands up if it all goes to *kitten* lol

Bakins929 gave you pretty bad advice lol.

Going high protein low carb... have fun with that - it's moderate protein/low carb/high fat for a reason.

You would drop weight faster... yes... but that weight is going to be mainly water weight as a decrease in carbs means you drop water weight and glycogen stores.

Also, your metabolism isn't going to 'pick up' - he is right in saying more muscle means more calories are burned... but lets be honest: you're not going to gain any muscle on a 1200 calorie diet which is LCHF and also, a lot of muscle is needed to burn a significant amount of calories.

Lol moon see this is what I mean! So confusing it's so hard to know what advice to take, who's right and who's wrong. I think for now I'll just try and be good and stick to what advice I've been given by the hospital. I will be noting all of this though as it does look like alot of you guys have had success and know what you're talking about a hell of a lot more than me.

You see... this is where you're going wrong I think.

You're not reading into it. You're just taking advice from a hospital. That's it. A lot of people on MFP here, including myself, probably didn't know anything about calories until they got on here.

It's just a matter of reading through the wrong stuff, and the right stuff.
  • Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow. If you ate high protein, low carb 1200 calorie diet plus exercise and eating your exercise calories, you would drop weight even faster since your metabolism would be in a higher gear. You also wouldn't atrophy and lose muscle, in fact muscle gains help burn calories.

This just sounds miserable compared to eating normal, healthy food and getting the same or better gains. But, it's your life, have at it. Good luck. Interested to see how this does for you. I can't see this being at all beneficial. I'll be eating my 1700-1800 high protein calories every day and loving it, thank you.

Thanks I'll give it a mention on my next check up :smile: to be honest I'm more bothered not being able to have alcohol lol. I'll deffo keep everyone posted and promise to hold my hands up if it all goes to *kitten* lol

Going high protein low carb... have fun with that - it's moderate protein/low carb/high fat for a reason.

You would drop weight faster... yes... but that weight is going to be mainly water weight as a decrease in carbs means you drop water weight and glycogen stores.

Also, your metabolism isn't going to 'pick up' - he is right in saying more muscle means more calories are burned... but lets be honest: you're not going to gain any muscle on a 1200 calorie diet which is LCHF and also, a lot of muscle is needed to burn a significant amount of calories.

Lol moon see this is what I mean! So confusing it's so hard to know what advice to take, who's right and who's wrong. I think for now I'll just try and be good and stick to what advice I've been given by the hospital. I will be noting all of this though as it does look like alot of you guys have had success and know what you're talking about a hell of a lot more than me.

You see... this is where you're going wrong I think.

You're not reading into it. You're just taking advice from a hospital. That's it. A lot of people on MFP here, including myself, probably didn't know anything about calories until they got on here.

It's just a matter of reading through the wrong stuff, and the right stuff.

It is an obesity clinic at the hospital though so I do feel like they should know there stuff. If they don't then I'll write another post on how I was wrong and never to toot my own horn again lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Are you going for weekly blood work or anything?

Also, what are they going to do after the 4 weeks? Have you seen an endocrinologist? And do they have you on medication for PCOS, like metformin.

Sorry I didn't see this. I'm not sure if I'll be going for weekly blood work.
    No I haven't and no they pretty much told me I had it and sent me on my way :neutral: I've been trying for a kid but have had 3 miscarriages so they said I don't need medication because I don't have problems with getting pregnant. Not very helpful at all if I'm honest..

That just doesn't sit right. A medically supervised VLCD prior to surgery, and they aren't taking blood tests? And, you're not sure whether you will be doing weekly blood tests or not?

I'm not going to surgery, well if I was it won't be until a years time and that's even if I get accepted. No I don't think I am getting blood tests as I'm nearly halfway through it anyway. Think I'm on my 9th day?

Oh, I guess I misunderstood about the liquid diet being pre-surgery. Actually, I don't now what day you are on, and it wouldn't matter anyway. ;)

Being under doctor supervision means they are monitoring you with blood tests, etc., so I fail to see how it is medically supervised if you are not getting blood tests. This is worrisome to me.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Also, what are they going to do after the 4 weeks? Have you seen an endocrinologist? And do they have you on medication for PCOS, like metformin.

No I haven't and no they pretty much told me I had it and sent me on my way :neutral: I've been trying for a kid but have had 3 miscarriages so they said I don't need medication because I don't have problems with getting pregnant. Not very helpful at all if I'm honest..

That just doesn't sit right. A medically supervised VLCD prior to surgery, and they aren't taking blood tests? And, you're not sure whether you will be doing weekly blood tests or not?

From the articles ive read they are an attempt to avoid surgery.

Oh, gotcha. Thank you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So how much is this medically supervised? Generally, that means weekly or bi weekly blood test to evaluate nutrient levels and make sure you are deficient in vital nutrients.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I'm 5 ft 5 and my highest weigh was 221 when I was 25 years old. In my late 20's, I managed to lose enough weight to get to 170 and stay there for quite a few years, even though I was still overweight.

I Yo-yoed a lot until I got to about 190 again, but about fifteen years ago I got down to 150/155 and felt pretty good and maintained for quite some time.

Then, about seven years ago, I put 30 plus pounds back on, and I began to hurt and feel pretty bad physically. My doctor was getting ready to test me for arthritis due to the achiness and joint pain. I went back to what my trainer had taught me to help me get to 150/155: eat less, move more, log your food and be conscious of how much you are eating, keep your macros in check, and weight lift to retain muscle mass. I started paying attention to calories again, started logging my food in a tablet, then found the MFP tools and have been using them ever since.

I lost 44 pounds and have been maintaining a healthy weight for over a year and a half. This is the first time I have ever been at a healthy weight in my life. I no longer ache and hurt and feel like I want to lay down and nap all the time.

Let me tell you something: being fat my entire life, if I can do this just by eating a calorie deficit so can anybody. So can you. I say this only to encourage you to try this weight loss thing by eating real food, just less of it.

You. Can. Do. This. By eating real food. :)
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not having read your original post, nor the comments of others on same, I would have to say that a diet of milk, water, and vitamins may well be suitable for a day or two if you have any kind of dietary condition to warrant it. Beyond that, this is dangerous. The human body requires certain nutrients and depriving yours of these nutrients can lead to a serious negative physical and chemical response in your body. (This, generally, is the most frequent COD (cause of death) in anorexics.) The body begins to, essentially, fight with itself and... YOU LOSE - but not in a good way. That chemical response can cause a heart attack, renal (kidney) failure, liver failure, blindness, respiratory problems, mental deficiency... not to mention digestive issues as your body can stop producing the acids needed to break down solid food. Is that really what you want????

Furthermore, any hospital or other medical facility that would recommend such a program for any long-term duration needs to have its certification taken away. Allow me to repeat that. ANY ...MEDICAL FACILITY THAT WOULD RECOMMEND SUCH A PROGRAM FOR ANY LONG-TERM DURATION NEEDS TO HAVE ITS CERTIFICATION TAKEN AWAY! And that is not gratuitous indignation. It is the truth.

So, my (multi-part) question to you is this: Was there some serious consideration which caused a practitioner to re commend such a drastic diet? If so, what was the timeframe for this dubious treatment? (NOTE: if there was none, that, in itself, could be considered medical malpractice, not to mention medically unconscionable.)

Now, you say that losing 7# in 8 days proves that your 'diet' works. Well... y-y-yehhhh. Sort of. Starvation works, too. But not too many people would recommend it as a long-term program. (Many have tried it. Too many have died because of it.) I know you are not trying to kill yourself. There are many faster ways of doing that. You want to lose weight. Please consider that however much weight you feel you need to lose, you didn't gain the weight in a week. Don't try to lose it in a week. Take your time. Give your body a chance to adjust to each stage of weight loss. Let your muscles and your skin and your organs have time to adapt to the changes you are putting it through. Bariatric surgery? It can work - for some. Given the fact that you are even being considered for bariatric surgery suggests that you are grossly, morbidly obese. So you have reached a point where seven pounds is not a substantial amount of your excess weight. And, for what would, for bariatric standards, be less than ten percent of your excess weight you might find it easy to lose that seven pounds in starvation mode. This is not sustainable. And, after surgery, you will likely not be able to eat much more than the milk and water diet for a few days. Even that, however, should not be recommended by a doctor for more than a few... very few days. And, following surgery, you would need to learn how to eat right. You will have a multitude of sessions with a dietician and you cannot fall back into the habits that got you more than 100# overweight. It will just lead you back to where you are now.

There are a number of various bariatric surgeries out there now - some more dangerous than others for various patients. Surgery is not a panacea, however. It is not going to magically make you lose weight. It might make it easier, yes. But it won't do the job for you and, if you expect it to, it will fail. I have seen countless bariatric surgery patients who have lost a lot of weight. Some of them more than their goal weight. And they fall into a mindset that "the surgery worked" so they can eat what they want. And that's when they fail. They eat just one donut on the way to work. Or an ice cream sundae with lunch, cookies after dinner. Before you know it, the old habits are back, they start gaining the weight again and... they have learned nothing. The trick is to learn HOW to eat RIGHT. If you do that, you can learn to lose the weight.

Now, given that you may be among those who are so overweight that it has inhibited your ability to move easily, you are probably already experiencing a lot of the medical problems that might be caused by a starvation diet. In that case, though, you and your doctor would not be needing to weigh the option of bariatric surgery. It would be a lifesaving measure and not, generally, up for debate. So I can only conclude that you are not too much more than 100# overweight and this is a desperation measure.

Remember, anything worth doing is worth doing well. That includes weight loss. Do it right - and that does not mean fast. Find confidence in who you are, who you want to be, who you can be. You are worth respect from the world and yourself. So, whether you have bariatric surgery or not, eat for life... because you're worth it.
  • Beezyweez
    Options

I'm not going to surgery, well if I was it won't be until a years time and that's even if I get accepted. No I don't think I am getting blood tests as I'm nearly halfway through it anyway. Think I'm on my 9th day?

Oh, I guess I misunderstood about the liquid diet being pre-surgery. Actually, I don't now what day you are on, and it wouldn't matter anyway. ;)

Being under doctor supervision means they are monitoring you with blood tests, etc., so I fail to see how it is medically supervised if you are not getting blood tests. This is worrisome to me.

I suppose I'll be having my tests done after 4 weeks. I'm honestly not sure though so wouldn't like to say. :smile: I may give them a call on Tuesday and ask for a bit more info
  • Beezyweez
    Options

I'm 5 ft 5 and my highest weigh was 221 when I was 25 years old. In my late 20's, I managed to lose enough weight to get to 170 and stay there for quite a few years, even though I was still overweight.

I Yo-yoed a lot until I got to about 190 again, but about fifteen years ago I got down to 150/155 and felt pretty good and maintained for quite some time.

Then, about seven years ago, I put 30 plus pounds back on, and I began to hurt and feel pretty bad physically. My doctor was getting ready to test me for arthritis due to the achiness and joint pain. I went back to what my trainer had taught me to help me get to 150/155: eat less, move more, log your food and be conscious of how much you are eating, keep your macros in check, and weight lift to retain muscle mass. I started paying attention to calories again, started logging my food in a tablet, then found the MFP tools and have been using them ever since.

I lost 44 pounds and have been maintaining a healthy weight for over a year and a half. This is the first time I have ever been at a healthy weight in my life. I no longer ache and hurt and feel like I want to lay down and nap all the time.

Let me tell you something: being fat my entire life, if I can do this just by eating a calorie deficit so can anybody. So can you. I say this only to encourage you to try this weight loss thing by eating real food, just less of it.

I'm so glad you've managed to keep the weight off! :) I agree the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy, count calories and excersize regularly. I will be joining you in that soon I promise, I just have to get this over and done with first. I do think liquid diets and losing weight quickly does help, for short term ofcourse, not physically but mentally. You see the pounds go down and you think 'oh it is possible then, I thought there was something wrong with me!' and if anything seeing that graph go down makes me more determined to eat better and excersize more. I think they've tricked me lol but I'm certainly feeling more optimistic about changing my lifestyle then I ever have.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

I suppose I'll be having my tests done after 4 weeks. I'm honestly not sure though so wouldn't like to say. :smile: I may give them a call on Tuesday and ask for a bit more info

It's a good idea to call. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

If I am understanding correctly, it is recommended by a medical team, but she is not being medically supervised.

That is also my understanding.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

If I am understanding correctly, it is recommended by a medical team, but she is not being medically supervised.

I had blood tests before to make sure they could give me the go ahead but yeah you're right I haven't be notified of any regular check ups yet.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm so glad you've managed to keep the weight off! :) I agree the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy, count calories and excersize regularly. I will be joining you in that soon I promise, I just have to get this over and done with first. I do think liquid diets and losing weight quickly does help, for short term ofcourse, not physically but mentally. You see the pounds go down and you think 'oh it is possible then, I thought there was something wrong with me!' and if anything seeing that graph go down makes me more determined to eat better and excersize more. I think they've tricked me lol but I'm certainly feeling more optimistic about changing my lifestyle then I ever have.

There's not a thing wrong with you. I remember how difficult it was when I was on this Yo-Yo cycle trying to lose weight.

You know what I love about how I have been eating for the last 2 1/2 years, and something I also learned from my trainer during the time when I got down to 150/155? I can eat whatever I want, I was just required to eat less calories than I burned, which required moderation. The only thing that really needs to change when you hit maintenance is your calorie allowance. This only comes if you allow yourself whatever foods you like in the present while you are losing weight.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Not having read your original post, nor the comments of others on same, I would have to say that a diet of milk, water, and vitamins may well be suitable for a day or two if you have any kind of dietary condition to warrant it. Beyond that, this is dangerous. The human body requires certain nutrients and depriving yours of these nutrients can lead to a serious negative physical and chemical response in your body. (This, generally, is the most frequent COD (cause of death) in anorexics.) The body begins to, essentially, fight with itself and... YOU LOSE - but not in a good way. That chemical response can cause a heart attack, renal (kidney) failure, liver failure, blindness, respiratory problems, mental deficiency... not to mention digestive issues as your body can stop producing the acids needed to break down solid food. Is that really what you want????

Furthermore, any hospital or other medical facility that would recommend such a program for any long-term duration needs to have its certification taken away. Allow me to repeat that. ANY ...MEDICAL FACILITY THAT WOULD RECOMMEND SUCH A PROGRAM FOR ANY LONG-TERM DURATION NEEDS TO HAVE ITS CERTIFICATION TAKEN AWAY! And that is not gratuitous indignation. It is the truth.

So, my (multi-part) question to you is this: Was there some serious consideration which caused a practitioner to re commend such a drastic diet? If so, what was the timeframe for this dubious treatment? (NOTE: if there was none, that, in itself, could be considered medical malpractice, not to mention medically unconscionable.)

Now, you say that losing 7# in 8 days proves that your 'diet' works. Well... y-y-yehhhh. Sort of. Starvation works, too. But not too many people would recommend it as a long-term program. (Many have tried it. Too many have died because of it.) I know you are not trying to kill yourself. There are many faster ways of doing that. You want to lose weight. Please consider that however much weight you feel you need to lose, you didn't gain the weight in a week. Don't try to lose it in a week. Take your time. Give your body a chance to adjust to each stage of weight loss. Let your muscles and your skin and your organs have time to adapt to the changes you are putting it through. Bariatric surgery? It can work - for some. Given the fact that you are even being considered for bariatric surgery suggests that you are grossly, morbidly obese. So you have reached a point where seven pounds is not a substantial amount of your excess weight. And, for what would, for bariatric standards, be less than ten percent of your excess weight you might find it easy to lose that seven pounds in starvation mode. This is not sustainable. And, after surgery, you will likely not be able to eat much more than the milk and water diet for a few days. Even that, however, should not be recommended by a doctor for more than a few... very few days. And, following surgery, you would need to learn how to eat right. You will have a multitude of sessions with a dietician and you cannot fall back into the habits that got you more than 100# overweight. It will just lead you back to where you are now.

There are a number of various bariatric surgeries out there now - some more dangerous than others for various patients. Surgery is not a panacea, however. It is not going to magically make you lose weight. It might make it easier, yes. But it won't do the job for you and, if you expect it to, it will fail. I have seen countless bariatric surgery patients who have lost a lot of weight. Some of them more than their goal weight. And they fall into a mindset that "the surgery worked" so they can eat what they want. And that's when they fail. They eat just one donut on the way to work. Or an ice cream sundae with lunch, cookies after dinner. Before you know it, the old habits are back, they start gaining the weight again and... they have learned nothing. The trick is to learn HOW to eat RIGHT. If you do that, you can learn to lose the weight.

Now, given that you may be among those who are so overweight that it has inhibited your ability to move easily, you are probably already experiencing a lot of the medical problems that might be caused by a starvation diet. In that case, though, you and your doctor would not be needing to weigh the option of bariatric surgery. It would be a lifesaving measure and not, generally, up for debate. So I can only conclude that you are not too much more than 100# overweight and this is a desperation measure.

Remember, anything worth doing is worth doing well. That includes weight loss. Do it right - and that does not mean fast. Find confidence in who you are, who you want to be, who you can be. You are worth respect from the world and yourself. So, whether you have bariatric surgery or not, eat for life... because you're worth it.

Thank you I will certainly take everything you've said into consideration. I won't be on this very long it's only for four weeks and then I will get introduced to food slowly and after that they will be teaching me about calorie control, excersize and all those things which I can't wait for! I doubt I'll be losing weight as fast when I'm off this though but at a steady normal pace which is fine. :)
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What????????? You need to lose EIGHT POUNDS??????????????????????????????????? That is not obese!
    Any doctor who would even consider bariatric surgery for someone less than 100# overweight and not having any underlying medical condition making it a medical necessity is an incompetent money monger! And anyone who would consider such surgery for someone less than twenty pounds overweight is a crook.

So... where is the truth?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What????????? You need to lose EIGHT POUNDS??????????????????????????????????? That is not obese!
    Any doctor who would even consider bariatric surgery for someone less than 100# overweight and not having any underlying medical condition making it a medical necessity is an incompetent money monger! And anyone who would consider such surgery for someone less than twenty pounds overweight is a crook.

You needed to read the whole thread, that has already been covered :)
  • Beezyweez
    Options

There's not a thing wrong with you. I remember how difficult it was when I was on this Yo-Yo cycle trying to lose weight.

You know what I love about how I have been eating for the last 2 1/2 years, and something I also learned from my trainer during the time when I got down to 150/155? I can eat whatever I want, I was just required to eat less calories than I burned, which required moderation. The only thing that really needs to change when you hit maintenance is your calorie allowance. This only comes if you allow yourself whatever foods you like in the present while you are losing weight.

Yeah so many successful losers (if that sounds right lol) have said that they love being able to have their favourite foods. I can't wait to burn a load of calories and then shove a cake in my face, wash it down with a bottle of rose' and still be in my daily allowance lmao.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Maybe read the thread or look into the program thats been linked and then youd realise your post is way off. Dont let that stop you though.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yeah so many successful losers (if that sounds right lol) have said that they love being able to have their favourite foods. I can't wait to burn a load of calories and then shove a cake in my face, wash it down with a bottle of rose' and still be in my daily allowance lmao.

Well, you can have a piece of cake with a glass of wine and still be in your calorie allowance now. However, I would say shoving cake in your face and a bottle of wine does not equal moderation, which is key to calorie control. :D
This discussion has been closed.