Real women have curves.

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm late to the game on this one and too lazy to read all the responses, lol.

First, what does FA mean? Fat *kitten*? Food Allergy?

Second, I consider myself curvy. I am height/weight proportionate, healthy BMI, not skin & bones, but certainly not obese. I have a bigger butt and while not huge, a curvy chest. I like the way I look and wouldn't trade it for anything. I personally don't care what anyone thinks about me because I am happy in my open skin nor do I really care about what other women look like.

fat acceptance

the controversy is that by allowing someone to say I feel good despite my size (aka obese) it encourages poor habits and encourages behaviors that are not conducive to health

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not everyone thin or obese, is physically able to exercise. Also many disabled people have what's known as an "invisible disability", meaning that it isn't visually obvious; that they're disabled.

I don't believe in weight/choosing to be unhealthy acceptance, I believe in situation acceptance. I don't believe that a person should have to work more and/or harder than another, to achieve the same result but since that's the reality of life, I don't judge their size; just whether the unhealthy person's issues/were a cause of their own choices rather than fate.
    Is there a disability that makes it physically impossible for someone to lose weight even if they are burning more calories than they consume?

I've seen stories under the success forum with people in wheelchairs who can't do physical exercise but were still able to lose weight and become healthier based on diet alone.

In order for diet/CICO to work, one must be able to know any given day; how much Calories will be going out & some disabilities make that nearly impossible. 1st I am hypoglycemic & my body doesn't convert stored sugar; into energy. Luckily this means, I could never starve to death; I'd be dead only after 4 to 20 hours of my last food consumption/depending upon my physical activity & what I consumed last. However this also means that I must eat, even when I'm not hungry; to keep my blood sugars up. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Sometimes I am bedridden, mostly I'm housebound & occasionally I function normally but I never know from one moment to the next, which of the 3 I'll be; so my Caloric needs to lose/maintain my weight aren't consistent and/or predictable. Also because of the CFS, most of the time; I don't have a bowel movement for nearly 3 weeks & yet I am not constipated. My body doesn't have the energy to even digest my food normally, so even what would normally be converted to waste; just gets absorbed.

Prader Willi Syndrome, is another such disability; in which diet/CICO; doesn't always work. They never feel full, after eating & thus eat anything/everything, as if they're starving.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Some women have a hardness to them....some have curves to them...there is a huge difference in fit and curvy as opposed to overweight and curvy. You can certainly be fit and curvy at the same time.....i am. I am sure there are some issues that can make losing weight harder but, again you dont have to be skinny or muscular to be fit. I also feel that if a woman is fat or has FA.....it does not make her a lazy unfit person. Being happy with the body you have is the most important thing. Shaming of any size or fitness level is not acceptable.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    People can be happy with who they are if they're unhealthy or overweight. It just means they are happy with (or moreso, despite) not being the best version of themselves.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Not everyone thin or obese, is physically able to exercise. Also many disabled people have what's known as an "invisible disability", meaning that it isn't visually obvious; that they're disabled.

I don't believe in weight/choosing to be unhealthy acceptance, I believe in situation acceptance. I don't believe that a person should have to work more and/or harder than another, to achieve the same result but since that's the reality of life, I don't judge their size; just whether the unhealthy person's issues/were a cause of their own choices rather than fate.
    Is there a disability that makes it physically impossible for someone to lose weight even if they are burning more calories than they consume?

I've seen stories under the success forum with people in wheelchairs who can't do physical exercise but were still able to lose weight and become healthier based on diet alone.

In order for diet/CICO to work, one must be able to know any given day; how much Calories will be going out & some disabilities make that nearly impossible. 1st I am hypoglycemic & my body doesn't convert stored sugar; into energy. Luckily this means, I could never starve to death; I'd be dead only after 4 to 20 hours of my last food consumption/depending upon my physical activity & what I consumed last. However this also means that I must eat, even when I'm not hungry; to keep my blood sugars up. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Sometimes I am bedridden, mostly I'm housebound & occasionally I function normally but I never know from one moment to the next, which of the 3 I'll be; so my Caloric needs to lose/maintain my weight aren't consistent and/or predictable. Also because of the CFS, most of the time; I don't have a bowel movement for nearly 3 weeks & yet I am not constipated. My body doesn't have the energy to even digest my food normally, so even what would normally be converted to waste; just gets absorbed.

Prader Willi Syndrome, is another such disability; in which diet/CICO; doesn't always work. They never feel full, after eating & thus eat anything/everything, as if they're starving.
    Wouldn't a fitbit type of device let you know your calories used?

And when it comes to PWS, if you knew you had it, and that was the cause of your hunger, then you'd know you weren't starving and be able to adjust your intake accordingly.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

And when it comes to PWS, if you knew you had it, and that was the cause of your hunger, then you'd know you weren't starving and be able to adjust your intake accordingly.

That's pretty much what you have to do with PWS. It does in most cases cause some mental deficits, so most of the time they have to be in a very regulated environment to control intake. They also do have slower metabolism and the usual recommended amount of calories is no more than 1000kcals. It can be managed though it's just very challenging.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Wouldn't a fitbit type of device let you know your calories used?

A HRM only measures Calories burned through physical exertion & wouldn't change my need to eat, even possibly over my Calories; to keep my blood sugars up or measure how many Calories I absorbed by not defecating.

I don't have PWS, I was using that as an example but they suffer from the same feelings, that those of us that don't have it do; if we were actually starving. If you or I even felt like we were starving to death, we'd have to give in to the hunger; it's just a natural response & uncontrollable.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    So instead of an HRM why not one of those handheld devices that measure the amount of oxygen consumed? I believe it's what "they" use to measure RMR.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So instead of an HRM why not one of those handheld devices that measure the amount of oxygen consumed? I believe it's what "they" use to measure RMR.

I agree, there is always a way :)
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    @ald783 You're hot.

FIFY. Must use the right grammar to lure in the dimes bruh.
    Bahahaha. Because grammar is sexyyyy. ;)
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a curve somewhere

Slightly to the right.

Slightly to the right.
    Thank you for the laughhhh. ;)
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Slightly to the right.

I thought it was to the left.....oh wait, your right would be my left ;)
  • christianlee100
    christianlee100 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    This has been a very long day of real women threads and I'm thinking I need someone to come confirm I'm still a woman.

giphy.gif

What dude said.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Still disappointed! pulling out now
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »

Way to be responsible.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

Way to be responsible.

You guys are horrible.

:D
  • Noelv1976
    Options
    Thank you Mel! I try, it's what sets me apart from the rest of the weirdos :)
  • Noelv1976
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

Way to be responsible.

You guys are horrible.

:D

How are we horrible??
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member