The Problem Partner!

Options
12346»

Replies

• FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I have the opposite "problem". My boyfriend is very fit and while I do like working out, he kind of pushes me to do it all the time and doesn't like me eating sugar and carbs. The positive thing is that I did get more fit since we started dating and i'm definitely happier with myself!
    What you can do is make him go with you, I am sure you can convince him! Then you'll both be high on endorphins after the workout so he will realise how great it is, and you can cook some really delicious healthy stuff together. *if your healthy diet is boring and bland, you're doing it wrong*. I understand that you don't wanna leave him and i'm not saying you should, but try to make him start liking the healthy lifestyle and that will become another thing you will both enjoy!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When the guy is such a problem that you take to posting online to figure out how to deal with him, it's time to dump him.

Unload that dead weight and find someone who is nice and decent. There is no shortage of men! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ...broadcast on the web to the whole world by his doting "partner", he might also want to do the dumping.

I've often told hubby if I ever got an invitation to go on a Jerry Springer show I'd save him the trouble and divorce him on the spot. I never understood the compulsion to air dirty laundry that way. But the internet is a little more anonymous, isn't it? We don't know where this couple lives, their real names, etc.

People often are bolder on the internet than they would be IRL. I don't mind answering a question like this.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend drinks beer, eats loads, sit around and plays video games (sometimes 12+ hours a day) but I was able to get to and maintain my goal weight. What's really aggravating is that he's of normal weight and he doesn't even have to try. Please don't blame others for your failures. You'll need to figure out ways around it. I'm sure he's a big boy and can make his own food - if mine doesn't like what I planned, he knows he's free to fend for himself. Other people don't have to do what you do.
  • TrishaBates
    TrishaBates Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I want to go to the gym after work I get in trouble because I'm not spending time with him, but if I am at home he just ignores me and plays his video games.

If I buy healthy food and cook healthy meals, I get told off for not cooking/buying anything "for him".

My opinion - not that it helps, just food for thought:

#1) You are an adult - "getting in trouble" for going to the gym is absurd.
    #2) Putting up with being ignored and getting "told off" for not buying for him, again absurd.

You can choose who you are and how you want to live your life - Personally, I would NOT live that way.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @newmeadow statistics seem to bear you out. 70% of the time (a little lower than 95%) the woman initiates divorce. But the OP is not looking to leave. That just happens to be the preponderance of the advice.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/homo-consumericus/201311/do-men-or-women-file-divorce-more-often
  • jgnatca
    Options
    "Indeed, statistically speaking, men get a much better deal out of marriage than their wives—married men tend to live many years longer than single men, whereas married women live only a little bit longer than single women." Oct 1, 2010, Scientific American

Think about that for a moment.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I have another saying every time I hear a particular Bob Dylan song, "Never date a song writer. It can't end well". That's another sure-fire way to air the laundry.

When I looked at divorce statistics a while back, divorce is indeed declining. Couples are marrying but they are doing so when they are older.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    "Indeed, statistically speaking, men get a much better deal out of marriage than their wives—married men tend to live many years longer than single men, whereas married women live only a little bit longer than single women." Oct 1, 2010, Scientific American

Think about that for a moment.

Yup, in my family, divorce usually gets initiated by the woman. The man is comfortable enough. The only quasi exception I can think of was my grandfather, who bought a summer house, fixed it up, moved in, but never got divorced and continued to support my grandmother.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When the guy is such a problem that you take to posting online to figure out how to deal with him, it's time to dump him.

Unload that dead weight and find someone who is nice and decent. There is no shortage of men! :)

This.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Let me air my dirty laundry:
    My partner got really bad sciatica so can do little exercise before he is in agony. He loves playing video games and good food. None of the above stops me. OP you got to stand up for yourself.

He plays video games and I go to the gym. I cook for both of us, but load up on plenty of proteins and vegetables on my plate.

I seek out healthy tasty recipes to try out, if he wants unhealthy food he buys it for himself. We have a treat night a week where we eat food we normally do not, or have a take away etc

He supports me in my choices and my tracking, and is mighty proud when I hit my gym goals and/or loose weight/inches.

If your partner loves you he will support you. Don't be a doormat.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I think you could just do your thing and in a month or two he won't care any more.
  • jesha00
    jesha00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If he has a problem with you doing things you want to do and/or enjoy --- he obviously is not the one for you..period.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My hubby has a problem with some of my relatives, but I decided to keep him anyways. We negotiate around the rough spots.

I what take from this young man is that he doesn't show much concern for what she does...either way. As long as she doesn't stand between him and his remote.
  • Scotch2cubes
    Scotch2cubes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sometimes being alone and not in a relationship isn't the worst thing that could happen. ;)
    yes, being alone IN a relationship definitely tops it.