WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

CarolNC, I do hope you will be patient with yourself. The fact that you are trying to work through it is great. Some things take longer than others and sometimes I’m sure some things will always be there no matter how hard we try to get through them. I’m so proud of you for the progress you’ve made, so keep up the good work. ((((Hugs))))

Joyce, I just feel so bad for you and of course for Charlie too. When you go in the car you might want to put down some protection on the seat. I have a chair in my bedroom that the smallest dog always uses if he needs to throw up. (about once a week) I keep a plastic bag covered by a couple of towels on the seat cushion just in case. I’m sure Charlie feels bad when he has accidents. I can’t believe they really would have sent him home if he had to take care of himself?

Michele NC, I was thinking of asking what you all were making for the holidays that is healthy. I had just the past few years gotten to where I baked a number of different kinds of cookies at Christmas. Now I probably won’t bake any. Homemade cookies are more than I even want to think about resisting. I’ll probably do a turkey for either Thanksgiving or Christmas just because it’s a good protein and low in calories. We’ve never had anything special on Christmas eve like lots of people do. One of my favorite things was Christmas brunch. Gosh have I got some yummy and fattening items I used to cook. No more!!!

Cheri, your post was the first one I read this morning and I so totally agree with your statement, “My thoughts and prayers to all who are suffering physically, mentally and emotionally. This group of women is so strong in supporting one another thru all our different life's trials. We are quite the blessed group here.” And couldn’t say it better myself. Then I had a great morning giggle reading about your DH in his excruciating pain. ROFL And that, folks, reminds us why men don’t bear the children. I think you are right to go to Thanksgiving if you want to. If he is not even willing to go with you and stay at a hotel so the actual visit could be short, then he will just be home alone. But like you said, it’s his choice. I hope you and the kids have a good time.

DrKatie, so happy for you that you are at home. You are so kind to go and help your sister when I know it wasn’t all a walk in the park.

Betty, I totally agree that you need to make your own plans for the holidays rather than wait to see what everyone else has planned. I feel so bad that so many people dread Christmas and just want it behind them. I figure if someone doesn’t want to celebrate the day in any way, they can just treat it like any other day…but I guess that is easier said than done. I always loved giving gifts when I could get something that I knew the other person would like. We exchange gifts with very few people now and I hate it when I don’t know anything that they would enjoy. It really takes the fun out of it for me. Years ago I thought it was strange that so many people went to the movies on Christmas, but now I can see the logic in that, too.

Penny, when your DH went out saying “elephants” was he taking a gun or a camera? captain.gif

Cathy, get out of the woods and come join us! You are most welcome here. This is a group of very supportive and informative ladies, some that have been here for years and some for actually just a few days. Join right in. Please tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you.

Heather, your food usually sounds fabulous, but I’ll be honest, you can keep your squid stew. Lol

Terri, safe travels to the bowling. My question on all those balls is how many are used? And how many do they take each time they go bowling?

Allison, your friend was so young. That is really sad for him and his family.

NMMargaret, I like the manger that you fill with straw as you do acts of kindness. I never heard of that before. Pretty cool.

Lisa, I think you are enjoying some of the newest changes waaayyy tooo much. LOL I do hope things go well for the new manager and the restaurant. I can tell you will be counting down the days.

TerriR, it looks like you are doing well on your goals. Congrats. Congrats on DD’s wedding also and thanks for sharing the pictures. I love your outfit. You look great! Keep up the good work.

Janetr, how wonderful that your DBIL is home. Don’t you be rushing summer away, now, ya hear???

Sylvia, gosh you can’t catch a break! And yes, if it doesn’t go down right with the first bite, don’t take a second one. I sure hope you can find out what is going on and get it corrected.

Mary, you know there is usually one in every group. I’m sure most of the people on that thread enjoy the pictures. Wish I had some pictures and I’d go post them on there just because, as Pip would say. LOL

Pip, good morning. I hope you slept well last night? Have a good day.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending the best thoughts to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JanetrOKC: I am so sorry for your losses. Losing two good friends at once is so hard. :broken_heart:

Becca: The last time my son was deployed during the Christmas holidays, DDIL sent him a fully decorated artificial tree. All of the guys loved it. :bigsmile:

Barbie: I am good friends with the edit feature! It was a great idea to let newer people know about it. :flowerforyou:

Mary from MN: Beautiful tree photo! :bigsmile: This group is magical. We all get to be who we are. It is a rare thing, in my experience. You'll decide what to do about the other group. You could call the woman on her rude behavior. Or you could let it go. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: We are also thinking about a "getaway Christmas" at DS's urging. :flowerforyou:

Penny: Good luck to your DH on his arctic elephant hunt. Are there elephant seals nearby?

Lisa: I love your sense of humor. "While I'll still be fixing the circus, the monkeys will be someone else's problem." :laugh:

Janet: Good news for your DBIL! :flowerforyou:

TerriRichard: Thanks for sharing the pictures of your DD's wedding! I hope she and her partner have many happy years together. :flowerforyou:

Riding lesson today! YAY! My teacher has rearranged her schedule due to a new job and my lessons will now be on Saturday mornings. I may miss a few lessons when I have conflicts, but I did that with the Friday lessons occasionally, too. At the moment I'm wondering whether I'm dressed warm enough but not too warm.

Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    93ix69zra7oc.jpg

l2j9mmxnmk4h.jpg

:) I walk in my neighborhood so there are houses everywhere but above the houses there is scenery that leaves me breathless. I slept late this morning so I walked the dogs in sunlight and was finally able to take pictures.

:) the longer I'm on MFP, the more I love this thread....I have posted on others but find myself going to others less and less....this is where I feel cared for and supported....you are all so fabulous and if you are new, please come back and before long you will feel like you've known us forever.

<3 Barbie

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) the longer I'm on MFP, the more I love this thread....I have posted on others but find myself going to others less and less....this is where I feel cared for and supported....you are all so fabulous and if you are new, please come back and before long you will feel like you've known us forever.
    <3 Barbie

I have found the exact same thing Barbie. :)<3

Cheri NE Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,765 Member
    Options
    this is the only thread i participate in.. as I have found family here, why bother with any other.. <3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Terri R. love the wedding photos.

Mary sorry you ran into a scrooge. I agree what I love about this site is we are all on the same page that weight loss is just part of staying healthy. Diet, Emotional, Physical, Spiritual, and Mind all work together to keep us become the best we can be.

It is just one person's opinion. Unless it is stated in the guidelines of the group not to have pictures it should not be a problem. Having pictures to show proper form of lifting I would think would be beneficial. Having the beautiful picture of your walk to think on as you do you strength work would be beneficial to surround yourself as you do your work. I could see her point if you posted six pictures but one. It is more her problem than yours.

I know how one comment can throw you off. For me in choir on Wednesday it was when we were warming our voices up, and I was just feeling I was connecting to my voice when the director said now be sure you are listening to the person next to you. I wanted to say if you listen to an orchestra warm up. The musician during that time is concentrating on getting their instrument to perform at its best they are not listening to any instrument but their own. Yes it does sound off at this time. Warming up is an individual thing. Then when it is time to work as a unit; they know their instrument will be ready. When she made that comment it was like popping a balloon for me. This is just one example of why I know I need to find a different choir director. Our styles are just too different.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    DJ - Oh, can't begin to tell you how delicious that squid stew is. Both that and the fish soup I had yesterday remind of leisurely lunches in the South of France. Plus it's low in calories! ! ! :) I used to finish it with rouille (spicy garlic mayonnaise) but now I put in a bit of smoked paprika and some skinned, chopped tomatoes. Heaven! I'm reckoning 200 csls for the stew, plus 50 cals for a spoonful of rice. We had fresh spinach with it.

Today I went for a walk round the lanes with DH. I had already done my exercising, so this was a bonus. Everything was very green after the wet late summer. I haven't logged it. On the way round it was such a BEAUTIFUL day that I asked DH if he had any money on him. He had a few pounds so we stopped off for a drink in the pub garden. Lovely. B):D:p What a great afternoon! :D Apart from that he watched the rugby and I caught up on my recorded TV. Happy gurrrrl. :drinker: We watched a programme featuring Rick Stein, of the restaurant, about a food journey from Venice to Instanbul. Made me want to go to Istanbul. Love Turkish food. :D DH has been, me not.
    Now he's upstairs watching England play rugby. I told him to walk up and down if he starts getting tense. Don't want any repetition of the horrible panic attacks after the England cricket matches. :sad: They were not funny!

IrishTerry - lovely photos of the ceremony. :flowerforyou: They both look so happy! And you look fabulous in your outfit. Well done on the walking. I am NOT a good walker, but managed 3.5 miles this afternoon.

Love to all. More TV catching up to do now DH is out of the way.

Joyce - I would insist he wears a nappy. If he won't then he can clean up his own messes. The authorities need to be told what is going on and that you cannot do all this. Personally I would stage a strike, but that's just me. I don't want you to have a collapse. <3

Lots of love, Heather UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think I heard Penny say we are mental! Sometimes I think we are, oh maybe I should change that to just me and a few others and I will let all of you hash it out as to who is mental along with me!!!

IrishTerri, first time I had seen a picture of you, very lovely. Love your colors.

KatieBug, you don't have to have a story book holiday. Just look at Heather's books at the varied styles. Most were children's books, then the new one a little dark. Every book is different but it is your book. Make your own book and then claim it as your, no matter how quirky it may be. Soemtimes it is that quirkiness that makes it all the more interesting. Like I said earlier, we have a Christmas when the family can get together. It usually is in January, one time it was February. Christmas does not have to be December 25th. Christmas in a state of mind and heart. Celebrate it when you can. I have heard of families who have Christmas in July.

DJ, when rehab discharged my husband, he was fully capable of caring for himself. It's jsut since he has been at home that thinks have become the pits. Like his blood pressure issue. When he woke up I aksed him to take his blood pressure to see what kind of day it would be. Not a real good reading but not a bad one either. 100/60. OK, i'll take it. Within an hour it was 77/40. He tried to eat breakfast and could only eat a little bit but he is drinking his V-8 juice. He found out yesterday that he does like that so we are slowly growing a short list of foods he likes. At least he has not lost any more weight, is staying at 185, was 200 September 8th.

I really need to spend a few hours with my daughter today just to get some laughs and get away from the house. My phone is about 5 or 6 years old. It keeps dropping calls, may keep it's battery all day or it may drain itself in 2 hours with me not even using it. So it is time. So I will be joining the group here who is trying to figure out a new phone.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I have to vent! I post on another thread for the group strong lift 5X5 and there is a workout thread where we post our workouts and people chat back-and-forth a little bit. I posted one picture of my walk from yesterday and one of the ladies told me not to post pictures it's too much for her to scroll through. I felt hurt and offended. It made me feel like not posting on that thread anymore because I am not welcome to be me.

Mary from Minnesota

That is ludicrous!!! Um what is the thread ...I need to post the biggest pic I can muster!! Is she non-scrollable???? What a loon. I love the pictures you all post!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    100_3331_zps4huyjvfz.jpg
    100_3340_zpsy5v9bzp6.jpg

So rumor has it around my neighborhood...that the Bull (one with the antlers) has been killed by the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife because he had become agressive to the community. On the same day this Bull was reported to have been agressive, he was also being FED by my neighbor. It sickens me to see wildlife becoming trusting in a community that needs to respect their space. So now I see this same group of Elk and it feels like that stupid neighbor is the one that purpetuated the problem. I yelled at a neighbor at my complex that was trying to do the same thing. She said she would pray for me, because I had all this anger..... I was telling her that she is making the Elk trust humans, and that she is helping to pull the trigger on these magnificent animals.....:-( She called me a tree hugger...
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Barbie - loves the pics, thanks for sharing. And know that we all love you right back and are glad you keep us together and moving forward in the right direction.

Heather - You'll never know how much I look forward to your posts. Its just a little adventure for me each time, and I always learn something new. Your food, your trips even your walks around the village and stopping at the pup sound exotic to me. Thanks for the beautiful detail you put into them. Also congrats on maintaining you weight so well and showing us it can be done even through normal daily stress and responsibilities.

Becca - I love the pics and totally agree that humans should NOT feed them, then the poor animal pays the price. Thanks for sharing.

For all you terrific women who have encouraging words when needed, advice when asked for (sometimes unsolicited but needed), who have been there, have been through it and willing to take another by the hand and guide them through, to DJ who is ready to give the boot in the behind to us that need it, I LOVE everyone of you. This group is the best thing that has happened in my weight loss/maintenance journey and I am forever thankful to be a part of it.

Janetr OKC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. Beautiful day here today. I went clothes shopping and actually found some things. But why do the same designers who have lovely fashions in “normal” sizes make all their plus sizes in “crazy clown” patterns? All the larger sized clothing tends to be sooooooo ugly. Why can’t they just make their regular items larger?

My friend’s dog just died. They found her having a seizure and took her to the vet. So sad….Lucy the dog was her baby. I feel so bad for her.

I thought the stores would be empty because of the Nebraska game, but they were all packed and one even had a dj and a party going on!

Lena is home from college for the day and night. We have to make some changes to her federal student aid form tonight. She was sick for the last couple of days so I hope she didn’t bring that home! The “other grandmother” told me DGD has been going to the emergency department all week for what seems to be an ear infection. They’ll be unhappy when they see those bills!

Vicki: well we won but that wasn’t a very good game. I wonder how long Coach Riley’s honeymoon is going to be?

Kim: I commiserate with your because I really hate the holidays too. No specific reason, just all that stress I guess. I’m starting to find ways to enjoy it more these days, but that’s just by a tiny bit.

Miriam: we got over 6” of rain and yesterday the whole outside smelled like a wet dog. It was humid and gross. It’s better now with sunshine and the 70s so I hope we stay dry for a while now.

Pip take it easy!

Maryann: that’s a nice tradition!

Janetr: so sorry for your losses. All of you will be in my prayers. That’s a lot for one day!

Carol: sending hugs for your depression to lighten

Joyce: wow you are doing a tremendous job caring for charley! Be sure to take care of yourself too

Michele: on Christmas and Thanksgiving I serve nothing that is diet friendly LOL. I actually do have lots of veggies (raw and cooked with the meal) but I figure for those 2 days I can eat what I want. I just take very small servings so I don’t get really full

Cheri: sounds like you have some positive ways of coping!

Gloworm: well that is true but we also have great quality of life otherwise LOL. I am building an ark in the garage!

Cathy: welcome aboard! No we aren’t closed, but many of us have been here a long time!

Lisa: that saga continues!

Terri: wow you look glamourous! Congratulations on gaining a daughter in law!

Sylvia: hope you are feeling better by now…that is good advice!

Barbie: what gorgeous pictures!

Heather: I think the nappy (diaper) is a good idea

Becca: how awful that someone feeding the bull made him aggressive so he had to be put down. Wildlife is wonderful, but they are wild none the less and should be admired from a distance! Can you report the neighbor?

You know on the subject of pictures, I enjoy them, but if I didn’t I could easily scroll through them. I would never tell anyone not to post whatever they wanted. So I say post away. OK that’s all from me here in Omaha, take
    care, Meg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mary, I love big pictures, and I would bet others on that thread do too. That woman is so self absorbed that everything has to be about her and her preferences. What a jerk! Did anybody else on the thread speak up about it? Post your pics here with us instead.

Becca, how sad about the elk! I agree that feeding them pretty much Guarantees their death. Poor things. Stupid people. I think "tree hugger" is a compliment!

We are at the lake now. I figure I can be sick here just as easy as at home. But now Bruno is sick. He's thrown up five times, and has some weird gagging and tiny panting thing going on in his throat. Like something is stuck down there. But he's still trying to eat everything in sight, including dead bugs. And loud coughing every once in a while. And of course the vet is closed now. Hubby went upstairs to put him in his crate for a while. He drank lots of water, so that should help. He's been eating a lot of acorns lately, so I worry about that. They may not be harmful, but they do have sharp shells. Neither of the others are sick. Poor little guy. Make that 7 times. Hubby just called down to say Bruno had thrown up on our bed and in his office. I can't believe the volume of food he had in his tummy! Poor little guy is frantic to eat too. I made some cream of wheat (my favorite sick food) and gave him a spoonful, but he wasn't quite THAT desperate.

I bought a lightweight jacket at a garage sale yesterday. It's light purple with white flower designs and a little sparkly embellishment. It's a size Medium. I put it on this morning and hubby said "it looks very slim!" That made me smile. He's so used to seeing me running around in my 4x sweat shirt that's 20+ years old. So now I'm wearing my tiny black yoga pants and my tiny new jacket and feeling pretty spiffy.

Welcome to the new ladies. I'm eager to get to know you.

Sylvia
    In southeast Kansas, USA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Penny, you sound like you've had an amazing life so far! How many places have you lived? Such exotic and far flung places! Africa and the North Pole! What takes you to these places? I'm very curious.

Personally, I've lived in southeast Kansas, Southern California (in the desert), San Antonio Texas, Denver Colorado, back to San Antonio Texas, Athens Greece, Tucson Arizona (the longest six months of my life), Wichita Kansas, Kansas City Missouri, and finally to Pittsburg Kansas. Not nearly as much fun as yours.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Terri R.... Your daughter and daughter in law look very happy! You look lovely!

Mary ... I love the photos .... Post away!

Becca ... Feeding wild life (except birds perhaps) is so misguided ... You are right; your neighbor is wrong.

Sylvia ... Hope both you and Bruno feel better soon.

Went to the funeral ... Brought son home for weekend ... Cut the grass ... And stock is simmering. Homemade stock takes time ... The aromas wafting through my house alone make it worth it!

Beth in WNY ... Starting to look like Fall!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
    Guess what I got in the mail today! I started crying, it was so sweet! Thanks grandmallie!!!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. I am working 6-4:30 today and tomorrow. Working with the boss 8-2 so doing my best to just space. Been rainning the last couple days and been great having the windows open. Does sound like going to warm up the next couple days. I love Fall and the temps, just wish we would get there. DBIL moved out yesterday. Sure feels strange having the whole house to ourselves again. So next time I get a couple days off going to go down and deep clean and redo things. Get the DGC's play room set back up. DH thinks he will be back, so will see.

pip--first day after surgery, WOW!!

Janetr--I am so sorry, sending hugs and prayers.

Becca--What a funny story. Sorry you didn't have pictures, that would of made a great Christmas card.

Mary--Love the fall colors, I just love this time of year. I am gald when pictures are shared. I consider you all my dear friends and pictures help me picture your lives.

Michelle--I think it is very caring for you to invite them over since they are new and don't know a lot of people and away from family.

Cheri--Good for you making your choice and sticking with it. Hope DH is feeling better. I agree when a man is sick they are such babies.

Cathy in the woods--welcome, this is a great group for friendship and support. Come often and post with us.

Allison--Hugs! This is the only thread I am on also and most the time I don't check my home page. I have found the friends and support I need here.

Lisa--Sounds like the new guy is going to do fine and you get to watch the fun. Be looking forward to the updates. I agree why would she even think about stealing??

Terririch--Looks like a very nice wedding and you look very nice in your outfit. Thanks for sharing.

Well ladies time to finish up and get ready to go to the store and church this evening. Love each and everyone of you and thanks for all you bring to my life.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    England lost the rugby - in the last minutes of the game. Poor DH. :'(

Heather x UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day- Walk- 43 min, around the track, 2 mi
    I think my hrm was on pause for a it