WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Mmmm, nice! I've occasionally turned pages for my mother at the organ, and know those two pieces well. Mom and Dad (probably Mom) chose the St. Anne as the processional for their wedding. I haven't sung any of the cantatas, though.
    Check out cantata 35 on YouTube; it's an organ solo cantata. ;)

Passed my quiz!

Cynthia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Penny - many thanks for that insight into Norwegian life. So interesting! :flowerforyou:

Janetr - I also love reading about all your goings on over the pond and it all sounds very exotic to me. :D You riding around in your motorhome and all the goings on with elk etc. :laugh: Tornados, massive snow falls, heat, cold, drought etc.
    Some things astonish me, like your health care bills, and the seeming difficulty of getting help in the home when you need it. Other things I think are wonderful, like your community events. I have learnt such a lot and am aware that North America is a huge place and things are very different in different areas. I hope to come and explore before too long. B)

Hairy Bikers' Lamb Tagine tonight. Has chick peas, dried apricots and sweet potato in it. Just over 400 cals.
    For lunch I am rebelling against DH's sandwich and I'm having giyozo dumplings. 6. 3 squid and chive and 3 prawn and pork. He will be fixing his own lunch. :D I dip my dumplings in HOT chilli sauce. :laugh: I count 50 calories each as I don't fry them, just boil them.

Got to reboot my tablet again :'(

Love Heather UK.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Kim if we were home at Christmas Tome you would be more than welcome here, we are about 40 minutes from Milford....
    Cynthia~ I sent Pip a card.. should of maybe made her something, but a get well card she got...
    we will be off to see DFIL this morning then home, no big plans... hopefully my DB will come down and help move the sofa back into the living room.. it has been bare so long since we redid the floors everything echo's
    found a book called the microbiome solution.. written by a gastroentorologist.. about good gut bacteria and how to really get yourself back on track, it is basically a vegetarian based ,plant based book,but explains alot..
    I am really thinking this might be good for me, both health and kidney wise.. sugar is like a drug to me and have to break the cycle
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies. I love hearing about everyone's adventures and challenges. We are a varied and dynamic group!
    So i reached my weight goal of losing 10 lb and told myself i would do something fearless for myself, trouble is i never did set out what that fearless adventure would be.....it is supposed to be rewarding but a chance to stretch myself so it was not going to be a pampering reward like massage or new outfit, rewarding myself with food is counterproductive, so i am looking for something slightly adventurous, low/no cost that marks this 10lb loss ... so folks what would u do to reward yourself, mark this milestone, i am "hungry" for suggestions! Karen from ny
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    To all the new ones, welcome... and it's nice to see everyone starting to turn corners, Pip, Sylvia (hope Bruno's OK!) and Joyce...

One of my favorite memes is one that says "The Internet is much like ancient Egypt, people writing on walls and worshiping cats." Well... we ended up adopting two feral kittens, now named Mouse and Squeaker. He couldn't leave them outside in the 100-degree heat to die, after a semi-trailer was pulled away from the spot where their mom had stashed them, and I apparently still needed someone to take care of. And, of course, being a writer, I guess a cat may be obligatory. So now I have two. They've responded very well to a combination of evaporated goat's milk, vegetable oil, egg yolks and a few drops of infant vitamins. Plus crushed Lactaid to prevent bloating.

Mouse was, apparently, the runt, much smaller than Squeak, and much shakier. After a couple of days of the above regimen, and being able to eat as much as she wants any time she wants, she is coming on gangbusters, jumping in the middle of her sister and yelling for breakfast every morning. So nice to think of something besides work for a change!

Hope your Sunday is amazing and peaceful. Think I'll go play with a cat while the bread's rising for my DH's lunches during the week... Mouse is the one under the shelf. And the one with her head buried saying "Please! No more pictures!" :smiley: We think they are about four weeks old, as they're already using the litterbox without fail and had little trouble learning to drink out of a bowl.

Lisa in ancient Egypt, er, sunny West Texas...

mzm4d1ubh12o.jpg
    u7by17m87kl9.jpg

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Lisa~ always nice to have a little fuzzy something to love.. I had a dog snoring in my ear this morning..
    went down to feed DFIL , and he chowed down as usual, had pancakes,scrambled eggs,toast wheaties, coffee and milk....
    Came home and made Tom corned beef has and fried eggs and toast and tea.. he is planning on either power washing the house or doing windows.. he does a fab job on both.. he gets his work ethic from his dad.. always a doer..
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

busy day today... I want to get ready for when the kids come this afternoon.... don't want to be doing something like digging potatoes...

Later
    Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) The account and photos of Lisa's rescued kittens, inspired me to share with you two books that might appeal to those of you who feel strongly about pets and rescuing animals in need.

Both books are by Julie Klam

"You had me at woof how dogs taught me the secrets of happiness"

"Love at first bark how saving a dog can sometimes help you save yourself"

I'm listening to the second one as an audio book right now so as soon as I post this, I'll leash up Brandy for her long morning walk and listen to more.

<3 Barbie from chilly beautiful NW Washington
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lisa, good for you! They are adorable!

Love you all. Dealing with a sick kid- probably strep throat. The only time she vomits is when she gets strep. So we are off to the ER to have the test, get her on antibiotics so she only misses one day of school.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning! Bruno seems better this morning. He's eaten two small cans of prescription dog food, split into four small mini-meals, and I haven't had to clean up anything, so that's progress. He's still on crate rest until later this afternoon, just to be sure. He's being really good about it, too.

It's strange to be at home on a Sunday morning. Normally we are at the lake about now. So I'm going to take advantage of the extra time and start laundry early. I want to do the bedspread this week, along with some stuff from the linen closet that had picked up a musty small. Don't know why that happens, but I hate that smell.

Lisa, your kittens are so cute! I wish I could have a cat, but Molly would kill it and hubby hates cats. Cats are so funny to watch though.

Speaking of amusing pets...I saw this video on Facebook and am going to try to post a link. I hope it works. It's so funny! The funniest part is toward the end, so be sure to watch it all the way through.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1055874021104507

Well, gotta get busy. Have a great day.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

MicheleNC, my very favorite cookies are oatmeal with the cinnamon chips and cranraisins. Oh yum. I can’t make any because I’d eat them for sure. In fact, year before last I couldn’t find the cinnamon chips in the stores but last year I saw them and bought 2 bags. They are both still in my fridge as I started this journey shortly after buying them. I also agree about the cute clothes in Plus sizes. Now that I’m out of that department, they have the greatest looking styles and colors. How come “the grass is always greener”? LOL

Aliza, welcome. Some of these ladies have been here for years and some for only a few days. We are just a supportive and informative group of ladies. My weight fluctuates 1 to 3 pounds all the time. Just wait and see if it doesn’t go back down. Come often and join right in.

Joyce, so glad Charlie is eating better and drinking too. How sweet of Michelle to cook for you even if it was only half a meal.smiley-eatdrink026.gif Lol Glad you had the gravy in the fridge so you could do the rest. You are too funny!

Sharon, welcome home. It sounds like you had plenty to do while you were there. Time spent with a grandchild has to be special. Sure wish I had some. oh.gif I agree that 12 days in someone else’s house is a long time. In fact, when just visiting friends, I wanted to ask what you all think is a good length of time to stay? I have a friend that goes to see friends and family (at her self-invitation) and stays for a week. I feel like that is too long to stay with someone for just a visit, but wonder if I am out of line? I know I am very lazy but to be honest, I don’t want to have to entertain someone for that long. When I go see someone I somehow feel that 3 to 5 days should be the limit, depending on the circumstances. What do you all think?

MattiesZia, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please sign each post with the name you want us to call you. Come often and join right in.

Penny
    , loved hearing about your function and love the picture. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Heather, when you come to the US, we will have to plan a get together so many of us can meet you and spend some time with you. That would be fantastic!!!

Allison, are you totally finished with the renovations? I know you will be happy to get your house back to normal, not to mention enjoy that beautiful kitchen.

Karen, a big Congrats on your loss!!! At the moment, I can’t think of what I would do as a reward. Maybe go someplace that I’ve not been before. I’m just not sure but will look forward to everyone’s suggestions.

Lisa, your new additions are so cute. There is nothing cuter than a kitten but DH says the problem with them is that they grow up to be cats.bleh.gif We love cats as much as dogs, but I am allergic to cats, so don’t have them any more.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending the best thoughts to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    So i reached my weight goal of losing 10 lb and told myself i would do something fearless for myself, trouble is i never did set out what that fearless adventure would be.....it is supposed to be rewarding but a chance to stretch myself so it was not going to be a pampering reward like massage or new outfit, rewarding myself with food is counterproductive, so i am looking for something slightly adventurous, low/no cost that marks this 10lb loss ... so folks what would u do to reward yourself, mark this milestone, i am "hungry" for suggestions! Karen from ny

Congratulations on hitting your goal! I usually go shopping but I like your idea of doing something adventurous! I think I will rent an ice house and spend the weekend ice fishing! Never done that!

Sylvia- I am glad that Bruno is feeling better!

Lisa- I love the kitties!

Penny- beautiful scenery! It is nice to see into other people's lives!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ben Franklin said "guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days."
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    ...I am looking for something slightly adventurous, low/no cost that marks this 10lb loss ... so folks what would u do to reward yourself, mark this milestone, i am "hungry" for suggestions! Karen from ny
    Karen, that depends so much on who you are and what you enjoy. Here are a few off the top of my head.

Go to one of those "open mike" shows and get up and sing.

Try out a completely new hiking trail.

Find your nearest parachute jump training tower and give it a go. (I did that once in high school and it was exhilarating!)

Rent or borrow a canoe and paddle a creek.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Tried out a new church today. Choir was singing a piece I am quite familiar.

When I got home got news an aunt that I was close to passed away yesterday. She was in her upper eighties. It was sudden. She past away at the dinner table.

We just got together as a family to celebrate a marriage of one of my cousin's son yesterday. We went to that reception after the open house for DH friend who walked the Appalachian Trail.

Catching my breath.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :)Karen, we live on a fairly limited fixed income so rewards and treats have to be on a small scale financially. My first treats for losing weight were a digital scale and nice measuring cups....since then I haven't connected a reward or treat to reaching a goal since my goal is to never be "Chubby Barbie" ever again. Instead I am open to treats for myself when something comes along that attracts me. Treats I've bought for myself have been a new shirt that caught my eye that was perfect, new blue tooth headphones to make my morning walk with the dogs even more fun, yarn for a knitting project, upgrading to a phone that offers services that make my life more fun.

:)Sylvia, the video was darling...thanks for sharing it with us

:)about staying at someone's house, I am so much in need of privacy and,a comfortable bed along with going to bed super early and getting up super early and having very fussy food preferences, I don't even consider staying at someone else's house any more.

:)Lisa, I love the kitten pictures. I went to PETCO yesterday to buy cat food and they had a cat adoption event.....I had to cover my eyes and head for the back of the store because I could easily be tempted. Enjoy the new babies.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I'm so sorry about your aunt! How very sad. But I suppose going suddenly is some comfort, not lingering in pain. Hugs to you. :'(

Karen, maybe you could do a 5k run/walk or something to celebrate. That's what I want to do when I get to my goal. It'll be a while. I still have 30 pounds to go and have been stalled for 6 months.

Bruno ate another little bit of food, and still no vomiting, but he does cough just a little. We let him out of the crate a while to play with Spot, which he did with great gusto, so he seems to be feeling ok. Now he's back in the crate resting.

Bye again.

Sylvia
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh, I lost a whole day yesterday so now I'm responding to some comments from WAAAAY back!

DJ - A moon garden is not so much for gardening at night as enjoying! It usually contains a lot of white or silvery plants, and plants that bloom or release their scent strongly at night. I bought a tiny night-blooming cereus plant and that got me thinking about building a little garden around it.

Penny - I loved your description of the garden in Nairobi. I really enjoy plants with heavy scents, so I can almost smell it now!

Grandmallie - I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.

Vicki - I think the hardwood floors thing depends on your expectations. I've heard people say you can't have them if you have dogs, but we had hardwood floors in my childhood home. They weren't perfect, and neither are the ones in our new-to-us farmhouse, but to me they are still beautiful and they tell the story of a home that is lived in and loved.

Pip - The xrays are amazing - now you really are a bionic woman! The before just hurts to look at, so I hope you'll heal fast and it'll be more comfortable soon!

Heather - I feel the same way about Christmas. When we were children my parents worked hard to make it a magical time for us, and my mom's birthday was Dec. 17th so that was tied into it too. She loved Christmas, and since she's been gone the whole thing just makes me sad and tired. I'd just as soon go up to Colorado and go crosscountry skiing for the holidays.

MNMargaret - I hope you find a new chorus soon! Singing with others is - or should be - such a joy. I sang with a women's chorus in Austin until we moved, and I'm taking this season off but already missing it so I think I'll have to go back sooner or later!

Cathy Irene - Welcome to the group! Just jump right in, whenever and as little or as often as you can...

I'm still struggling with being lazy and wanting to eat All The Things, but I keep plodding along. This morning Luna got out of the yard and met us at the front door, so I need to go see if I can find where she got out of the fence and block it off. Apparently she's bored, so I'll take her to the park for a long walk this evening.

September goals: I get failing marks on all of these except the strength training. I'm recommitting to do better for the rest of the month.
    1. Track on MFP every day.
    2. Yoga at least four times a week.
    3. Introduce at least one new option for cardio workouts.
    4. Work on some simple strength training.
    5. Use up all the frozen fruit and veggies in the freezer.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies. I pray you are having a good Sunday. I am working 6-4:30 today. Last evening I went over my calories big time. I have no excuse and I did log every bite. Today will be a better day. Church lastnight seemed to be talking to me about somethings I have been dealing with. So feeling more positive about things today. I did not sleep well and having trouble staying awake and focused this morning.

Mindy--Glad things worked out at work. They know a good thing when they see it.

Sylvia--I do hope Bruno is doing better today.

Michelle--Glad to hear Denise has her December trip booked.

Aliza--Welcome, This is a great group for support and friendship. Come often and get to know us and us to know you.

Sharon--Glad you are back. Sounds like you had lots of bonding fun.

Lisa--Such cute kitties. Thank you for saving them.

DJ--I feel a visit 2-4 days is good. But that would also depend on how far they live and how often they visit.

Margaret--Sending hugs and prayers. Sorry to hear about your Aunt.

Well it has been a pretty slow day today. So not a lot of news. Just know I think of you ladies a lot and pray for all of us several times a day. I am off tomorrow and to go meet my freind Lee in the morning. She seems to be ajusting well since her husband passed. I was glad the other day when she told me she is going to a gieve class.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE