WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Greetings! You are amazing group of ladies! I love reading your posts and learning from the successes and struggles of your weight loss and lives. I have been lurking in this thread on and off for a while so I know this group exemplifies wisdom, compassion, support and caring beyond measure. I respect and admire all of you! I apologize for lurking; I would love to start posting occasionally to this group if I may (although I’m not likely to manage being a daily poster.)

My name is Joyce but you can call me Joyce in SD (or jmok01) so not to be confused with Joyce from Indiana. (Prayers for you and Charlie, Joyce). I’ve been overweight my entire adult life. I turned 55 earlier this month. I joined MPF a few years ago, but didn’t stick with it. A year ago, I started tracking on MFP again, and lost 28 pounds by May. Since then, I gained 18 pounds back. :grumble: I want to lose another 63 pounds but will take whatever I can manage.

I live in SD, have a full time job in addition to doing the financial books for my husband’s business. We also manage a small apartment complex, and I’m in the final stages of completing my MED in Educational Administration with an emphasis on Adult and Higher Education.

It’s a little early for October goals, but I’ll start these today and continue through October:
    • Log every bite
    • Drink at least 6 glasses of water daily
    • Walk 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times a week (I know this is small, but currently I rarely exercise at all)
    • Eliminate alcohol (thank you Katla for inspiring this one)
    • Complete paperwork for MED Internship

Joyce in SD
    Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. ~Winston Churchill

10296044.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Pip~ Your shoulder looks amazing, all things considered! Keep doing what you are doing! Tell Kirby he needs to fan you with a large fan, while feeding you bon-bons... ok ok...then grapes...:-)

Whether the weather be fine,
    Or whether the weather be not,
    Whether the weather be cold,
    Or whether the weather be hot,
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather,
    Whether we like it or not!

um he has to say that while fanning...
    Becca

Cute, I like it!
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    3b9fxp8kofso.jpeg
    I ordered two slings, went to exercise with, and the other for the rest of the time. I found something that I can decorate it with us so I can tell the difference between the two
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I am liking all the suggestions of free and andventurous rewards for hitting a goal. i think i am going to stay open to the idea of couch25k because that has always seemed out of reach--i am not really athletic in any way. So i just might Try it....and hopefully my dd would run alongside me.
    Today i walked downtown and listened to an outdoor jazz concert, had a coffee and a lovely chat with a dear dear friend. All in all a rewarding day!
    Have a great week everyone. Karen from ny
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather- I love sloe gin! When I was young that was my drink of choice! I forgot about it!!!

Pip I'm glad you are getting along better! You are lucky to have a live in hairdresser! Love the Sling Bling <3

Becca - love the poem!

JoyceSD - welcome! You came to the right place!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Becca: Oregon Public Broadcasting did a story on the Elk at Gearhart last season. I'm posting a link so that you can see it online. I hope it works for you & that you find it interesting. This worked for me when I copied it and pasted it in my browser.

watch.opb.org/video/2365411696/
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip, I love the beautiful jewel AND this poem:

Whether the weather be fine,
    Or whether the weather be not,
    Whether the weather be cold,
    Or whether the weather be hot,
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather,
    Whether we like it or not!

:heart: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I haven't been on in about a week due to a health scare (which turned out to be okay, thank God!). When I logged in today, I had over 900 posts to read. I have been browsing for hours and still only got up to page 44! I was taking notes so I could reply and then realized if I wait until I get caught up to reply to everyone, I'll never post! Ha! Love all the pictures of the sunrises and sunsets and pictures from everyone's walks. The pictures on the trail by the lake in Minnesota make me homesick. Thank you all for sharing. I love seeing different parts of the world and country.

I won't even attempt to reply to everyone, but I want you to know I'm reading and cheering you on from Green Bay, Wisconsin. I'm sorry for those going through difficult times and will keep you in my prayers. I hope to get caught up and be able to reply to everyone soon. I'm new to the group, only having posted a few times, but I do really enjoy you ladies! You are so inspiring and have such great ideas.

Pip I'm glad it appears your surgery was successful!
    Barbie Thank you for the names of the audio books. I'm going to have to stop at our library and see about downloading those to my phone. I think that is a fantastic idea!
    Miriam Congratulations on the court ruling on the girls! I know I'm behind but I'm happy for you and want to get that in here. :smile:

I got good news at the doctor on Thursday, so Friday, Saturday and today I have been feeling so happy and grateful. I didn't do anything really special, but we did go for a ride on my husband's motorcycle yesterday and stopped in to see 5 of the grandkids which always makes me smile. I got a lot of items checked off my to-do list so that's always good too!

Tomorrow is my annual review at work. Not looking forward to it, since I have left that job and no longer work for the manager who will be doing the review. She's not a big fan of mine, so I will be getting my first "bad" evaluation at a company where I've worked 21 years. I'm going to try to stay positive and remember that I only was in that job with her for a little over a year and it just wasn't a good fit. Live and Learn. I'm back in a position where I feel is perfect for me so I plan to focus on being grateful for that rather than upset about one bad evaluation.

Well, I'd better get back to page 44 and start reading again so i can catch up on all that is going on with you beautiful ladies! Have a wonderful Sunday evening.

Tracie in WI
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,973 Member
    Options
    welcome.gif Joyce in SD, some days I feel like a lurker, just reading and not posting. I so admire the women who write thoughtful responses to so many, but I am what I am and I'm welcome just as I am. Recently I started finishing my day by reading this thread while I brush my teeth with my electric toothbrush....can't respond and brush but I can read, brush, and be inspired.

:) We are closing in on the end of the month, so it's time to take a look at your goals and resolutions for September and see how you've done....then think about what you'll choose for October....mine will probably be the same.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ! ! !

Just a quick stop to offer hugs and be excited about my DS. Almost no sleep last night because he was downtown working until almost 9:00pm. Then up and on the road by 5:00am for a bowling tournament. He won ! So we will be spending a week in Indianapolis during July. Now it's after 7 & I'm tired so more hugs and good night wishes ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip. wow your shoulder looks amazing! Hope you continue to do well.

Joyce in SD. I am just now being asked to do some of the managerial tasks for a small (6 units) apartment building and wonder if you have any advice. This is a low income unit, and the elderly owner has told me that he is planning on selling it soon. I am very tempted to look in to getting someone to buy it that will keep it low income IF I manage it for him. I am so afraid that someone greedy will buy it and stop having low income housing that is so desperately needed in small town Iowa, especially as our population ages. (Half the tenants are widowed old ladies- another might be but I have never set eyes on her to know her age.)

Tracie in WI, thanks. I cannot begin to tell you all what a relief it was when it was Sunday and I had to take the youngest in to the ER for a strep test. I wanted to get it done today so she would miss less school than if I waited until Monday to get in to her doc. The doc has continued to see her, even though the permission we got from the parents was obsolete, but the ER wouldn't in the past. But I am now the legal guardian so no problem!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Oh, and it WASN'T strep, just a tummy bug. And I am feeling feverish this evening myself.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    So I've been trying to help my mom lose weight. She's over 50 5'2" and over 250 lbs. She has diabetes and obviously heart disease. She like sweets and has an eating disorder. Does anybody have any ideas to help?

Oh my gosh! What a wonderful son! Your mother is one lucky woman.

Please invite her to check out this group and see if she gets any ideas or inspiration from the rest of us. If not, she will find a friendly group of interesting friends. Maybe that would be enough to start. We believe in baby steps. We all were in her shoes once. There are several of us with health issues that she may find some common ground with. This group has something for everyone.

A doctor once told me that you have to devote your life to weight loss, and I've found that to be true, but I wasn't ready to hear it at the time. Once I finally was, everything started falling into place, and this MFP app, and this group of ladies in particular have made all the difference for me. Once I started thinking of it as trying to lose a pound instead of freaking out about needing to lose 150 pounds, the weight started coming off.

It's true that she has to want to do it on her own, so don't be too downhearted if your efforts are not fully appreciated. I hope she knows how much you love her.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Tracie great attitude. Good Luck tomorrow

Spent afternoon with uncle and cousins. My aunt will be missed.

Prayers tomorrow for my DB as he goes in for cancer surgery at around 7:30 a.m. Central Standard time. With everything else going on I don't know if I mentioned this or not. I told the staff at my mom's nursing home I don't feel like a sandwich more like a pancake. Barbie's advice of staying in the moment is helping me see my way through this time. I also find something to be joyful everyday. Today I sat and petted my cousin's dog for a half and hour. Bliss. Now if I can find that choir that ignites my joy of singing that also would help and all the more reason to leave the other choir director behind.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Penny – loved hearing about the event… how wonderful that was, the history is both so long ago, but so fresh when the stories can be told by folks who hear the stories first hand.

Alison – I wondered how far you were from Milford, if I get there we will meet up!

Lisa – the kittys are really cute!

Margaret - {{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Pip – that looks so so much better! No weird shapes! You’ll be better soon.

Terri – I have quilt pictures on my phone, but can not get them off… there is a password problem so next Thursday I have a “date” with the Apple store to hopefully help me.

Joyce in SD = welcome

So I wrote some very incomplete notes - ops! But love, and peace to all!

I taught today, it was 6 folks for a pie class, 3 made blackberry pie, and 3 made apple - They each bring a pie pan, and go home with a complete pie, I made a pear pie (Lillian’s recipe) and it was a great hit, it was cut into 8 pieces, so everyone (including me) had one, and there is one piece left for me to share with a friend. I really liked the flavor – Lillian thanks that is a keeper!

There was one guy in the class and he did all the dishes – he happened to be the first done with making his pie and just jumped in, others ended up helping too – which was so nice, groups are all different, some just leave the dishes to me.

Thinking of you all,
    Kim

September Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles (dog is injured- will skip this this month)
    Log everyday –
    Twice a week do floor exercises
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 –
    W2 – went hiking, went to nephew’s football game
    W3 – went hiking, football game!
    W4 – hiking, football, quilt show
    W5 -
    Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - Thanks for sharing the cockatoo video. It cracked me up. Glad to see Bruno is doing better.

DJ - For my most recent trip I stayed for 1 week, but my friend and I were travelling together. I was not at her house for the entire week. The longest I have stayed at her house was 4 days. She's the only friend I would/have stayed with for that long. She has made it clear that I am welcome to stay longer. She doesn't feel as if she needs to entertain me the entire time I am there which makes me feel more comfortable than someone who must be a hostess the entire time I am with them. I hate disrupting someone else's routines for too long. So I guess I am saying I agree with you on 3-5 days as being a good amount of time for a visit.

Lisa - Very cute kittens.

===

Good day in the glass studio. Only got 3 pieces made. Well, 4 but one already cracked when I put it away so I know it won't survive. Too bad because it was a vase with a really beautiful shape. I'll try to remember to take pictures of last week's efforts.

Today is my "official" weigh in day. I stayed the same this week. I'll take it.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Tracie great attitude. Good Luck tomorrow

Spent afternoon with uncle and cousins. My aunt will be missed.

Prayers tomorrow for my DB as he goes in for cancer surgery at around 7:30 a.m. Central Standard time. With everything else going on I don't know if I mentioned this or not. I told the staff at my mom's nursing home I don't feel like a sandwich more like a pancake. Barbie's advice of staying in the moment is helping me see my way through this time. I also find something to be joyful everyday. Today I sat and petted my cousin's dog for a half and hour. Bliss. Now if I can find that choir that ignites my joy of singing that also would help and all the more reason to leave the other choir director behind.

:heart: MNMargaret

We will be praying for your DB and your family. I'm sorry that you are going through so much at once.

Mary from Minnesota
  • joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi, everyone!

Hugs to everybody recovering from or facing medical procedures. Prayers for all those dealing with the loss of a friend or family member.

Mary from Minnesota – I enjoy the pictures everyone shares. They allow me to learn about parts of the world I might not otherwise see. Bring ‘em on!

Irish Terri – Thanks for sharing the photos from the civil partnership ceremony. Congratulations to your family!

Karen from NY – Do you have any zip lines available in your area? I just discovered one where I live, although I have not tried it out yet.

Lisa – Your kittens are adorable. They are so lucky to have you looking after them, and they are a great distraction from work drama. My cats sit outside my bedroom door and howl every morning until I get up to feed them, so I never have to worry about oversleeping.

Have a happy and healthy week, everybody!

Joan
    Alabama
    89501702.png