WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• StillWaters1
    StillWaters1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Thought for the day: Change happens in the moment.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. It’s my kind of day here, the perfect early fall weather, a pot of veggie beef soup on the stove. Lena is going back to school in a bit. She went to church with us which is always nice. She made us some nice, heart-healthy, diabetic-friendly pumpkin bread which we enjoyed after church. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with her fafsa form, so I’ll ask the financial aid guy at work to help me tomorrow.

Sylvia: sending get well wishes for you and Bruno. OMG that video was a scream!

Pip: let me in on it! What did Alison send you? That’s some bandage!

Vicki: I am really enjoying this weather too. Time to put up the fall wreath!

Barbie: enjoy your company! I love having people over

Becca: wow that amazes me too. What will happen is nothing until some kid gets really hurt, then the swarm will want to exterminate all the elk. People are so dumb sometimes!

Alison: reading a good book is wonderful

Mindy: so glad everything seems better now

DJ: sooooo goooood is right, especially my bourbon sweet potatoes! YUM

Michele: I have so many crafts going or in want of going I just can’t get to any of them, including anything for the holidays!

Aliza; welcome aboard. Many of us are “Old timers” here, but we get new people weekly at least

Joyce: sounds like Charlie is getting better even if it’s a little slow!

Kim: sounds like your trip to the garden center was wonderful

Sharon: glad you had a good trip and glad you are home safely

Cynthia: my antenna is up too but I don’t sense anything coming! :O

Penny: beautiful picture!

Karen: my rewards are pretty dull and not close to “fearless”. I get manicures and pedicures LOL although when I reach my goal weight I am having the vein treatment to get rid of my varicose veins.

Lisa: omg those kitties are so cute! Bless you for taking them in

Margaret: I hope you find a suitable choir soon! Music really makes a church service

Well I need to get busy on my test bank. I keep putting it off. Plus the soup needs attention. Take care all, meg from Omaha
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just skimming right now, busy day, but wanted to tell Kim that my escabeche.is the kind with just vegetables: jalapeños, onions, carrots, garlic and cauliflower. Pretty much a Mexican style pickle. The kitchen was extremely aromatic!!
    Betty
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
    When I got home got news an aunt that I was close to passed away yesterday. She was in her upper eighties. It was sudden. She past away at the dinner table.

We just got together as a family to celebrate a marriage of one of my cousin's son yesterday. We went to that reception after the open house for DH friend who walked the Appalachian Trail.

Catching my breath.

:heart: MNMargaret

I'm so sorry for your loss. (((hugs))) I will pray for you and your family.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    So I've been trying to help my mom lose weight. She's over 50 5'2" and over 250 lbs. She has diabetes and obviously heart disease. She like sweets and has an eating disorder. Does anybody have any ideas to help?
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    When I got home got news an aunt that I was close to passed away yesterday. She was in her upper eighties. It was sudden. She past away at the dinner table.

We just got together as a family to celebrate a marriage of one of my cousin's son yesterday. We went to that reception after the open house for DH friend who walked the Appalachian Trail.

Catching my breath.

:heart: MNMargaret

I'm so sorry for your loss. (((hugs))) I will pray for you and your family.

Mary from Minnesota

I'm sorry for your loss. Its not easy

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Blankly, that's sweet of you to want to help your mother lose weight. But one thing I've realized about it is (in the words of the old song) You gotta cross that lonely river by yourself. If your mother isn't ready to make changes herself, you can't make her lose weight. But you can love her, support her, go out walking with her, do other things that feed her self-esteem without feeding her body. You might also try getting her interested in this thread. There's a lot of support here, including some very inspiring success stories.

Best wishes to both of you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Good luck viewing what is under the bandage. Perhaps Kirby can take photos so you can study things that aren't easy to see in the mirror. :flowerforyou:

Betty: I agree with you about Black Friday madness. A couple of years ago we bought a new refrigerator and freezer at Black Friday prices, but it was during the week before black Friday. I like the new appliances and that is a plus. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia & Meg: Big women's clothing is less than lovely everywhere I've been except Hawaii. The traditional Hawaiians admire large women and their clothes are lovely. :heart:

DJ: You should have seen my family's reaction when I brought my food scale to Thanksgiving dinner. Oh my! :noway: On the other hand, it worked. The traditional meal is made up of healthy food but we usually eat way too much. I said "we" and maybe I should say "I," but I suspect I'm not that unusual. :flowerforyou:

Michele in NC: Regarding legal driving, I know of several people with vision impairment win one eye who are still able to drive, including DH. He lost part of his vision when he had a stroke a few years ago. He went into the Department of Motor Vehicles and they gave him an eye exam. He passed, so he is a legal driver. There are times when light conditions are wrong that he declines to drive and I get the job. We generally trade off on a long trip anyway and if we're out in poor visibility I get the job. We avoid poor visibility situations as much as humanly possible because they're bad for everyone. :flowerforyou:

Aliza: The welcome mat is out. Everyone's weight fluctuates somewhat & one day up doesn't tell the whole tale. Sodium can be the culprit quite often. Drinking plenty of water helps with that situation. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: My phone memory capacity is 26.4 GB, but I've only got 4.8 GB left available, mostly because of all the photos I store on it. It all depends on how you use your phone. Mine has a camera and I use it generously. Photos take a LOT of memory. We're putting more things on "the cloud" but I'm untrusting of "the cloud" so I want to keep copies on my phone or computer. :devil:

MattiesZia: Welcome. The best thing to do is read the thread and jump in when you have a comment. We've had a newbie or two who didn't understand that we keep things positive here, but I sense that you "get it" and will fit right in. :flowerforyou:.

Penny: The annual mutton-cabbage stew party sounds like a good time. I like lamb very much, but don't know about mutton because I haven't tried it. My dad was a sailor in WWII and served in the Solomon Islands where they had Kamikazi bombers & lots of Australian mutton. He hated it, but who knows how it might have been preserved back then, or how old it was when they got it. I never even tasted lamb until I was married & DH suggested it. I like it very much. :heart:

Karen from NY: Rewarding yourself is very personal. Rewards for me are my riding lessons, which are built in weekly, or new clothes. The clothes are more occasional especially since I'm working on maintaining & no longer getting smaller. I also like tea in the Chinese Garden, a day trip to the beach, breakfast out with DH or a friend... My list is long and none of the items is particularly costly. None of the rewards are food, either, except the breakfasts and I keep them inside my calorie goals. When I want a treat, I plan it into my day. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Congratulations on the new kittens. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: Thanks for the Cockatoo Elvis performance! :laugh:

Margaret: You're life is full right now, in all sorts of ways. I'm sorry the loss of your Auntie, and hope the new church is a good fit. :heart:

DS and DH are working on the boat project out in our garage at the moment and I have had a brief time to catch up with all of you. I am still "blissed out" from my riding lesson yesterday, when I got to ride alone to practice in the field for an hour after the official lesson ended. My teacher was working with a different student in the arena and trusted me with her beloved horse and no supervision outside on the open hillside. He was a good boy for me & I feel like I made some personal gains in confidence and skill. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Pip~ looks alot better than it did before... keep on truckin girlfriend xoxo
    well all showered and dressed and ready for the wake..
    It will be nice to see friends again, but not for something like this.. he taught CCD for over 20 years, and did alot for the community. so this is gonna be a big one..
    Tom is fed,dogs are fed, laundry is done, will do some in the morning..
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
    Pip - now that looks good! I'm so excited for you!

Mary from Minnesota
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Alison: you are such a sweetie to send a card! <3

Margaret: so sorry about your aunt. :flowerforyou:

Pip: looking good!

Had a fab time at the Bach concert this afternoon. Must wind down, since I have to get up early tomorrow for work.

Cynthia
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,226 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mindy I knew it would be procedures. It's good that they appreciate your commitment to the job.

Kim I would have loved to see those quilts. I am working on my first full quilt at the minute. Only one square completed so far.

Cynthia Glad to hear that you passed the quiz.

Barbie We live in Northern Ireland. Although we are part of the U.K., where they could get married, our local government body are blocking the passing of that law in the province. So it was a Civil Partnership Ceremony. But we live in hope that the dinosaurs will be defeated soon. They have been together for over 10 years.

Sylvia I do hope your guts have settled and you have had a good day.

Mary from Minnesota Ignore that rude moaning Minnie. I love all the pictures people post.

Pip I admire your 'True Grit". However, I did think you might doing rather a lot so soon after your surgery. Please don't overdo it. I would hate it if you did yourself some damage.
    Just scrolled down and saw the pics! On second thoughts! Wow! That's healing nicely. You know your own body best. Trust your instincts.

We had a lovely visit with my daughter. GS1 came home from the city (Belfast) and joined us for lunch. He just moved there on Monday to be near Queen's University. DSIL had taken the others to visit his mother this weekend, so it was nice to get to talk to James uninterrupted about how he was getting along.

The others arrived back for coffee, so we had a lively half hour before we left for home. We have arranged to take DGD to lunch next Wed as she goes back for her final year at Cambridge (England) next weekend. DGS2 seems to have settled into his new school. They seem to grow up so quickly.

Phew! It's hard work keeping abreast of all your posts, but Oh! So rewarding!

Welcome to all my fellow Newbies.

:heart: Compassionate (((Hugs))) to those of you who are suffering or grieving. :heart:

Irish Terri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pip, your photos show an amazing amount of healing already. That goes with being in good shape in the first place. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip - Looks MUCH better, hope it continues to heal well and swiftly. How is the pain doing by now, are you able to sleep at night?

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Pip - great healing! :flowerforyou:

Well the USA lost to Scotland in the rugby. England lost last night. :'( Watford (DH's team) lost today. :'(
    Good job I have zero interest in sport. :laugh:

Been wrestling with charging my tablet all day, but it did it at last. :drinker:

The lamb tagine was heavenly. I put in much less honey than the recipe as the apricots are sweet enough.

DH went out and did a lot of gardening today, so I made him his lunch time sandwich. <3 He deserved it.

Tomorrow we are going to go out to our local beauty spot for a walk and to pick sloes (blackthorn) to make sloe gin. Got to buy the gin. :laugh: The weather is heavenly here at the moment - beautiful blue skies - which is a wonderful change from our wet late summer.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps - stats for the day -
    1st day on spin bike after surgery, day 3
    75.02 min, 72ar, 67aw, 9-12g, 17.4mi = 570cal

Put on my front zip sports bra for the first time, didn't touch my scar so that was good. I was able to dress myself, that was good. After the shower put on my front clasp bra so that was good. Kirby was able to put my hair in a ponytail, so that was good. I slept better last night. I feel good, but I have to tell myself repeat don't push it. The less I need a pain pill, the better, haven't taken one yet. Don't worry, if I need one I'll take one. Grandmallie gave me a get well card, getting something like that in the mail does a lot.

Type to ya later
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Pip~ Your shoulder looks amazing, all things considered! Keep doing what you are doing! Tell Kirby he needs to fan you with a large fan, while feeding you bon-bons... ok ok...then grapes...:-)

Whether the weather be fine,
    Or whether the weather be not,
    Whether the weather be cold,
    Or whether the weather be hot,
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather,
    Whether we like it or not!

um he has to say that while fanning...
    Becca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Pip~ the least I could do.. your a sweetheart and you deserve it... give the pups a treat from Auntie Al...
    back from the wake.. alot of people...his wife.. said oh Alison we were going through stuff last night and you sent a western union telegram . this was when Dave was in for his bone marrow transplant.. there were cards everywhere.. they kept all the cards and letters from 22 years ago... also the list of 5,000 people that Dave got onto the bone marrow registry and I was one of them...
    he truly was one of a kind...
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I had Mexican food at a restaurant nearby with some friends that were visiting from Portland OR. I decided on fish tacos, and even with me eating the mexican rice, refried beans, and mentally dismantled the fish tacos on my food journal I did fine! Today I am 230.6 so Im ahead of the game. Last wednesday at my TOPS meeting I weighed in at 232 which I really wasn't concerned about. Life happens when you are busy makin plans is my motto. So I have crossed off 2 of my boxes this week on my visual board with all my weigh numbers. Just going down the path. I have been eating pretty clean, no boxes except some that I got from the food bank. Called Seasnax and are seaweed products. One is called Seansnax Chomperz, which are a square of Nori dried seaweed that has a rice product on them and then fried somehow. Only 40 calories for half the bag so I am happy. Gets in my salty fix. I did have two chocolate cookies from the container we rec'd from the food bank yesterday. But I didnt go toooo overboard about them. Its hard having sweet things in the apartment. I know when son graduates, it should be easier in that respect. I don't buy them, and husband does not have a sweet tooth to speak of. There is a raspberry pie in the frig though. Grrrr...
    Becca
    needing to fix lunch and its 2:30pm....
    in Sunny Oregon... (yep I have been nudist lady today, but my neighbor keeps coming out to chat with me....um let me sit quietly so as not to draw too much attention to myself...sheeesh....I am behind the wood slats on the balcony so she doesn't suspect I thing) shhhh.