Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph....

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I understand what you are saying. And I agree with the idea that most people generally lose weight by burning more cals then are being eaten. My question is (not trying to be a smarta@@) how are genitcs and having different body types exclusive of one another? Don't genetics play a role in the body type a person has and how/where fat is stored? It's probably not right to say that everyone falls into 1 of only 3 body types. But why is it ok to say it's genics, but it's wrong to say how genetics may give you a certain build/body type...etc that may make it more or less difficult for a person to gain weight/muscle?

Yes there are genetic differences that dictate how and where fat is stored and how easily a person puts on muscle. However no, there are not only 3 types of people. And no, for the most part, you don't have to eat and train based on "body type". People can eat and train basically the same and get good results.
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    Not broscience, Dr. Nick Evans, a bodybuilder, orthopedic surgeon, had a fitness column in a bodybuilding magazine for over 10 years and works with bodybuilders says there are 3 types of Bodies in his latest book "Men's Body Sculpting" I tend to go with people who go to school and get degrees over the average person. Check out what he says about different routines for different body types, which makes sense to me, but you can believe anything you like, i'll go with the experts every time.

Thank you. I will def look into this.

We call this confirmation bias

Not sure what you mean by this, "special snowflake that I am".:flowerforyou:

youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/23/confirmation-bias/

Thank you for the link, this is an excellent article. I even book marked it for later read.
    I'm sorry I was not trying to be bias with anyone. I would like to look up the other links you suggested. Just did not respond that I was going to. Sorry.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

I understand what you are saying. And I agree with the idea that most people generally lose weight by burning more cals then are being eaten. My question is (not trying to be a smarta@@) how are genitcs and having different body types exclusive of one another? Don't genetics play a role in the body type a person has and how/where fat is stored? It's probably not right to say that everyone falls into 1 of only 3 body types. But why is it ok to say it's genics, but it's wrong to say how genetics may give you a certain build/body type...etc that may make it more or less difficult for a person to gain weight/muscle?

Yes there are genetic differences that dictate how and where fat is stored and how easily a person puts on muscle. However no, there are not only 3 types of people. And no, for the most part, you don't have to eat and train based on "body type". People can eat and train basically the same and get good results.

Thank you. Next question. Since you do look like you've trained pretty hard...how do YOU train? And what do you eat? Do you eat different on workout days? Do you lift and if you do, how much, how often and how heavy were the weights when you first started?
    Thanks in advance.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Am I an endomorph ? I tend to put on fat but after logging my calories I realize that I used to eat lots of junk food. So I can't say that I'm genetically prone to store fat. Only that I'm not predisposed to be skinny no matter what.

Am I a mesomorph ? I can out lift, press, squat, and do more push ups than most of the women in my gym. I get a thrill out of lifting heavier weight. But that's because I'm not timid about working hard. I use the heaviest resistance that I can and I have zero fear. And when I overeat, I tend to time it after weight lifting. So it could be my habits rather than any talent for building muscle.

My body isn't slender; that's about the only thing that I'm sure of. Even at a low body fat I'm soft like an endomorph, but my body is starting to look more athletic. So I'm inclined to think that these body categories say more about psychology than any hardwired type. I'm sure that some body builders have a harder time gaining than others; and I have no doubt that's genetics.

That's awesome! I seriously want to be able to lift like you. Right now I can only lift at the max 40 lbs and that's really straining.
    Thanks for your response
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes are a myth. Period. They were created by a guy who took nude pictures of college kids, then made up stories about them based on the photos and their transcripts. The entire concept has been soundly debunked by science. There is no such thing as an endomorph, mesomorph, or ectomorph.

That's all there is to it.
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I'm a professional obesity researcher at a top UK university and this is correct. Somatotypes are broscience, not real science.

People you would categorise as endomorphs are simply fat or muscly people. The fat ones got that way by eating more calories than they expended over a long period of time. A little bit to do with genetics, but overwhelmingly to do with the energy in-out balance. The muscly ones got that way by lifting heavy weights in a progressive training programme. Again, genetics plays a part but the lifestyle factors outweigh genetics by many-to-one.

People who you might say are mesomorphs are simply normal-sized people. They eat about as much as they expend in energy, over a long period of time. Although some of them may be previously fat people who are slimming down, and some may be previously slender people who are now bulking up. You can't generalise about their genetics in any way.

Ectomorphs are simply thin people. You might think they eat all day long and never do any exercise but I guarantee you that they eat less than it appears and move more than you notice. In the same way that if I drop a rock it WILL fall to the ground, then people who are very slender either eat less than other people, move more than other people, or both. Or they may have a horrible disease such as cancer.

Some people have medical disorders which mean they don't follow this pattern. For example, if you have a tapeworm you can eat loads of calories and not get fat because the worm will prevent you from absorbing the nutrients properly. But those people are few and far between. If you are certain you have been following a caloric deficit for weeks and months without losing weight then go to your doctor and get a checkup. You may have a thyroid disorder or some other problem. But your difficulty losing weight is NOT because you are an endomorph.

If you don't have a medical disorder and you maintain a caloric deficit over a long period of time, you will lose weight. Body type doesn't come into it. Forget about it, it doesn't mean anything except for fancy Latin words for "fat person", "middling person", "thin person".

One last point - the qualified fitness trainer dude has got everyone's backs up with his abrasive language, but I agree with everything he has said in this thread.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    But but but....this theory is from the 50's

They knew their stuff back then when you could smoke and drink while pregnant because harmful substances could not cross the placenta.

Stop defending that crap OP.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    Ectomorphs are simply thin people. You might think they eat all day long and never do any exercise but I guarantee you that they eat less than it appears and move more than you notice. In the same way that if I drop a rock it WILL fall to the ground, then people who are very slender either eat less than other people, move more than other people, or both. Or they may have a horrible disease such as cancer.

that's not true i have a friend who is a ecto gone meso ( gained muscle ) he eats like a horse i once estimated his calories he takes 5 k or more a day and he maintains a 8 % bodyfat ..he only lifts no cardio at all so he is eating around 2000 extra calories ...
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    totally believe in this. I am a mesomorph, have the hardest time to lose weight, I was most of my life in the light overweight Zone. My friend is an ectomorph. I see day in, day out, what she eats. A lot. And stays super skinny. She is not very active, but smokes. Love her metabolism.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    But but but....this theory is from the 50's

They knew their stuff back then when you could smoke and drink while pregnant because harmful substances could not cross the placenta.

Stop defending that crap OP.

Well, if you had read EVERYTHING that's been written on this thread you will note, time and again, I am not defending it, just asking questions about it. So if you actually would care to give a valid opinion, pro or con, I will gladly listen. But hey, thanks for dropping by and being rude by telling me to "STOP DEFENDING THAT CRAP"!!!!! I did not realize that asking questions was defending any diet logic
    Thanks.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

I'm a professional obesity researcher at a top UK university and this is correct. Somatotypes are broscience, not real science.

People you would categorise as endomorphs are simply fat or muscly people. The fat ones got that way by eating more calories than they expended over a long period of time. A little bit to do with genetics, but overwhelmingly to do with the energy in-out balance. The muscly ones got that way by lifting heavy weights in a progressive training programme. Again, genetics plays a part but the lifestyle factors outweigh genetics by many-to-one.

People who you might say are mesomorphs are simply normal-sized people. They eat about as much as they expend in energy, over a long period of time. Although some of them may be previously fat people who are slimming down, and some may be previously slender people who are now bulking up. You can't generalise about their genetics in any way.

Some people have medical disorders which mean they don't follow this pattern. For example, if you have a tapeworm you can eat loads of calories and not get fat because the worm will prevent you from absorbing the nutrients properly. But those people are few and far between. If you are certain you have been following a caloric deficit for weeks and months without losing weight then go to your doctor and get a checkup. You may have a thyroid disorder or some other problem. But your difficulty losing weight is NOT because you are an endomorph.

If you don't have a medical disorder and you maintain a caloric deficit over a long period of time, you will lose weight. Body type doesn't come into it. Forget about it, it doesn't mean anything except for fancy Latin words for "fat person", "middling person", "thin person".

One last point - the qualified fitness trainer dude has got everyone's backs up with his abrasive language, but I agree with everything he has said in this thread.

Thank you for your response. It is appreciated.
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options

that's not true i have a friend who is a ecto gone meso ( gained muscle ) he eats like a horse i once estimated his calories he takes 5 k or more a day and he maintains a 8 % bodyfat ..he only lifts no cardio at all so he is eating around 2000 extra calories ...

If he lifts and has significant muscle mass then his BMR is higher than than another person of equal weight who is fat and not muscled. I'd be willing to bet that you overestimated his calories significantly and underestimated his TDEE just as much. Your muscly friend can eat more than other people because he burns it in the gym (lifting burns calories, not just cardio) and he burns more than other people even when at rest.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

• TLWallperson
    Options

O

Actually, and if I'm not misunderstanding what I just read, then the words ECTO, MESO and ENDO are originally Greek in origin and it was Shelton who first used them with the word MORPH also Greek in origin meaning "form". This does not mean that I agree or disagree with his philosophy. Just ponting it out.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Might I add something I do think there is some truth to this but not much , I would like to mention something why is it that when a person is overweight everyone assumes it because you eat to much ? Mine is from my pregnancies 19 months apart I gained appropriately for my height and age and where I was in my pregnancies , no I did not eat to much ,aghh sorry that just bothers me and of course medical issues can cause weight certain drugs so on , everything effects weight, anything ou put into your body effects you and genetics , nothing is black and white.

I represent a lot of women out there , and I have currently loss 27 lbs since jan 1st and in 4 lbs ill no longer be overweight for my height and build and age , its awesome:) only weight that wasn't pregnancy was like 10 lbs in a 3 yrs span .
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Might I add something I do think there is some truth to this but not much , I would like to mention something why is it that when a person is overweight everyone assumes it because you eat to much ? Mine is from my pregnancies 19 months apart I gained appropriately for my height and age and where I was in my pregnancies , no I did not eat to much ,aghh sorry that just bothers me and of course medical issues can cause weight certain drugs so on , everything effects weight, anything ou put into your body effects you and genetics , nothing is black and white.

I represent a lot of women out there , and I have currently loss 27 lbs since jan 1st and in 4 lbs ill no longer be overweight for my height and build and age , its awesome:) only weight that wasn't pregnancy was like 10 lbs in a 3 yrs span .

Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

O

Actually, and if I'm not misunderstanding what I just read, then the words ECTO, MESO and ENDO are originally Greek in origin and it was Shelton who first used them with the word MORPH also Greek in origin meaning "form". This does not mean that I agree or disagree with his philosophy. Just ponting it out.
    Sheldon actually took the terms from plant biology. He just replaced the word "sperm" with "morph." He literally just made it up as he went along.
  • TLWallperson
    Options

Thank you for your comments.
  • Kowent
    Kowent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am not a scholar but I do have a background in Anatomy and physiology as well as nutrition and medical science but have learned more from living life than all the books I've had to read. I can guarantee there are different body types that are genetically inherited.
    I am just 5'6" muscular, hourglass, large wrist size 7". My husband is 5'10 , lean but muscular, wrist size 6". Daughter luckily inherited his frame and body type. (Thank goodness) I cook dinner every day, pack lunches etc. I know how much eat, they r not consuming under TDEE We do not all have the same body type, metabolism, frame....it just seems reason when it comes to diet and exercise ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

BTW...I don't see this as bro-science or a fad diet or snake oil. I DO see this as the idea that we are all different, our bodies are different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
    I'm not looking for snide, rude or self-rightious comments, but legitiment and honest opinions. So if you, honestly believe this is unfounded garbage, please leave.

So everyone's body is different, but we all fit into one of 3 different categories. Got it.