CARB CYCLERS UNITE....

Options

Replies

• Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi, Folks. I stumbled onto your group having never heard of carb cycling. I went over to Amazon and read the reviews of Chris Powell's book, and see that he does not define what is "high" and what is "low". How are you all determining this? Trial and error? Another source?

About me: I am female, 52, sedentary job. I consume about 100 - 150g of carbs a day, which I know is not low but I'd assumed was moderate. (I should mention this is total carbs - I haven't figured the net.) I don't eat pasta or sweets, only sweet potatoes, and avoid bread. My one guilty pleasure I can't kick: sweetened coffee creamer once each morning. I've done an Atkins-like diet in the past but could not maintain it. I'm sure part of that was due to the fact that I only eat fish and poultry - no other meat. I'm wondering if I could do it a few days of a very low carb/high fat diet if I knew more "normal" (for me) eating was on the horizon.

I've made many attempts at weight loss in the past, and promised myself that this time I would stick to my "moderate carbs" and CICO approach to keep things simple. So in addition to my question above regarding the definition of "high" vs. "low", I would love to know how difficult you are finding this in terms of planning.

Thanks!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome ! In Powells books, he cycles not only carb count, but calorie count. For instance his low carb days are about 1200 calories for a woman, you have about 3 oz of protein or less, 2 or more cups of veggies, and a tbs of fat for 4-5 meals. He considers " carbs ", as foods like pasta, bread, starchy veggies. On the high carb days, you will be around 1500 calories, eating protein and a starch at every meal, with no fat....veggies are optional. You can cycle your days a number of ways, every other day, every two days go low, and one day high, or work it around what you have going on socially. He also suggest having a cheat day or meal a week. I personally found rebounding from a cheat day quite difficult.

I have had good results personally doing this program, but I have found even better results when I lower my over all carb count, including veggies to be under a certain gram count. It has taken me several weeks to find my sweet spot. And I also found it difficult to cut out the fats on the high carb days, so I didn't worry about them back then.

You mentioned that you take in 100-150 carbs a day, that is considered low carb by many. I think once you figure out what total carb level you lose weight on, you then could design a program where you increase your carb levels a bit a few days of week, then lower them for other days....I think you can make it as easy as you want or not. I cook for my DH, we have a protein and veggie every meal, I also cook a starchy veg or rice for him when he requests...i haven't bought a loaf of bread in months !!! Lol. Anyways, I hope this answers your questions.

Good luck!
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is really helpful! Stupid question, though ... you wrote "you have about 3 oz of protein or less, 2 or more cups of veggies, and a tbs of fat for 4-5 meals". Can I assume that would be for each of the 4 -5 meals? Or total? I don't think I could make 3 oz protein last all day so I hope you meant "each." I promise I'm one of those people who tries to get you to tell her the content of the whole book :smiley: just trying to determine if this is something I can do before investing the time in the book myself.

From just what you've told me so far, it doesn't seem like it would be a radical departure from the way I already eat, and might help me with the problem I run into of eating the same thing each day. I already try to incorporate protein at each meal (something I picked up years ago from the Zone Diet.) I find it helps with even mental clarity throughout the day.

Thanks again!
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Triplestep! You can also get some additional info from Heidi Powell's website and by reading back through the previous posts. Also, yes those portions were oer each meal. :)
  • Db8688
    Options
    I also posted this question on one of the keto boards but I'm curious. Those who are doing low carb or keto - have you ever been able to keep your total net carbs at 30 grams for the entire day? I did hit 40 one day but typically run between 60-70. I'm trying to lose fat and increase muscle but I've already experienced some of the low carb side effects and I'm just not sure 30 grams is practical for me. I'm just curious to see what everyone else does.
    Thanks!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Db8688 wrote: »
    I also posted this question on one of the keto boards but I'm curious. Those who are doing low carb or keto - have you ever been able to keep your total net carbs at 30 grams for the entire day? I did hit 40 one day but typically run between 60-70. I'm trying to lose fat and increase muscle but I've already experienced some of the low carb side effects and I'm just not sure 30 grams is practical for me. I'm just curious to see what everyone else does.
    Thanks!
    Yep! I do.....been averaging under 30 for awhile now. What side effects are you feeling ? I went a few weeks feeling lethargic and lacking strength in my workouts, but as promised, my energy has bounced back
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Triplestep wrote: »
    Thanks, this is really helpful! Stupid question, though ... you wrote "you have about 3 oz of protein or less, 2 or more cups of veggies, and a tbs of fat for 4-5 meals". Can I assume that would be for each of the 4 -5 meals? Or total? I don't think I could make 3 oz protein last all day so I hope you meant "each." I promise I'm one of those people who tries to get you to tell her the content of the whole book :smiley: just trying to determine if this is something I can do before investing the time in the book myself.

From just what you've told me so far, it doesn't seem like it would be a radical departure from the way I already eat, and might help me with the problem I run into of eating the same thing each day. I already try to incorporate protein at each meal (something I picked up years ago from the Zone Diet.) I find it helps with even mental clarity throughout the day.

Thanks again!
    . Yes I would agree, it doesn't seem like a radical departure from what you are doing. I think the Powells give a pretty basic way to cycle to the masses. You can also find cycle info on bodybuilding .com, and under cycling keto on the keto Reddit site.....

• Db8688
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Yep! I do.....been averaging under 30 for awhile now. What side effects are you feeling ? I went a few weeks feeling lethargic and lacking strength in my workouts, but as promised, my energy has bounced back

I'm going to pay closer attention to how you eat and see if I can mimic some of the macros. I look at everyone's' diary here and there but never pay close attention. My staples are grilled chicken and broccoli. I'll eat this until I grow tired of it then move on. I'm trying to pay close attention to hidden carbs as well but it's important for me to also keep my fiber up and my sodium down. If analyzing burned calories the way physical exercise does I'd be a stick figure!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm going to pay closer attention to how you eat and see if I can mimic some of the macros. I look at everyone's' diary here and there but never pay close attention. My staples are grilled chicken and broccoli. I'll eat this until I grow tired of it then move on. I'm trying to pay close attention to hidden carbs as well but it's important for me to also keep my fiber up and my sodium down. If analyzing burned calories the way physical exercise does I'd be a stick figure!
    One of the tenants in the keto world is that you really don't need to watch the fiber. Unless you are tracking Net Carbs of course....but tryinf to get high fiber may not allow you to get real low carb numbers... I guess if you are on the SAD diet, you need fiber to counteract all the processed and sugar added foods. In a Low carb, whether you are eating Keto, LCHF, Atkins, etc....you are naturally taking in low sugar and good veggies, so your digestive tract and your body is in good balance. Also the higher fats helps with the digestion end of things too.
    When I scan someone's diary, I go to the bottom first and look at their macros etc,then I check out their meal ideas....
    I tend to cook a pretty large meal , and use the leftovers for a few days....so yes, my entries could look a little boring but it beats cooking nightly. My lovely DH, loves variety so I'm on a constant look out for bright ideas !
  • Db8688
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good Info! Thanks! :)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies I just wanted to pop in and say hello and that all of you are doing fantastic :) Keep up the great work ...DB I am doing LCHF you are welcome to look at my diary Also in the keto world they say you must up your sodium (I haven't had a problem with the lowcarb flu or whatnot ) If you haven't joined the LC group you may want too DB lots of great info ..Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Hi Ladies I just wanted to pop in and say hello and that all of you are doing fantastic :) Keep up the great work ...DB I am doing LCHF you are welcome to look at my diary Also in the keto world they say you must up your sodium (I haven't had a problem with the lowcarb flu or whatnot ) If you haven't joined the LC group you may want too DB lots of great info ..Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)
    Meeeeggggaaann! You NEED to pop in more ! Miss you Girl !!!!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Tiff! Are you getting ready for your Thanksgiving Week Plan ???
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue ....yes I do (I promise I will ) ....Miss you tooooooooo :)
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Hi DB,
    Yes I hit 30 or under net carbs sometimes. I pre log and plan to do all low carb 11/22-11/25 before Thanksgiving.
    11/17-48 carbs-21 fiber = 27 net
    11/22-43-13= 30
    11/23-37-15=22
    11/24-43-21=22
    11/25-43-15=28
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    Tiff! Are you getting ready for your Thanksgiving Week Plan ???

Yes, I'm ready! Low carb Sunday-Wednesday so I don't gain weight that week, my hubby is not pleased but he can add a carb if he wants. I also plan to weigh in Thursday morning before flying out to Vegas and then not again until the following Saturday so I don't see the water weight gain and panic.
  • Db8688
    Options

My sodium has gone up. I was trying to keep it around 1500 but that's impossible. I'll find the group and join.. Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for the info too!
  • Db8688
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    Thanks!

Hi DB,
    Yes I hit 30 or under net carbs sometimes. I pre log and plan to do all low carb 11/22-11/25 before Thanksgiving.
    11/17-48 carbs-21 fiber = 27 net
    11/22-43-13= 30
    11/23-37-15=22
    11/24-43-21=22
    11/25-43-15=28

WellI have a new goal. Get under 30! Thanks for the info, I just got to work a little harder!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Tiff, those numbers are the bomb ! Fantastic planning on your part! Have a wonderful time in Las Vegas !!
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    Tiff, those numbers are the bomb ! Fantastic planning on your part! Have a wonderful time in Las Vegas !!

Thanks! I hope my plan works.