CARB CYCLERS UNITE....

Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Laura, How exciting for you reaching new levels in your goals and having to change your profile! Keep up the fantastic work!
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Db8688 wrote: »
    I also posted this question on one of the keto boards but I'm curious. Those who are doing low carb or keto - have you ever been able to keep your total net carbs at 30 grams for the entire day? I did hit 40 one day but typically run between 60-70. I'm trying to lose fat and increase muscle but I've already experienced some of the low carb side effects and I'm just not sure 30 grams is practical for me. I'm just curious to see what everyone else does.
    Thanks!
    Yep! I do.....been averaging under 30 for awhile now. What side effects are you feeling ? I went a few weeks feeling lethargic and lacking strength in my workouts, but as promised, my energy has bounced back

What side effects are you feeling ?" - I have to really push myself in my classes now. It's like I have some sort of invisible force that's holding me back. Spin has really been a struggle since it's non stop cardio for 45 mns straight. I usually don't go any heavier than 35lbs of weight for my Body Blast class but last night I really had to struggle to lift that barbell off my back after 3-4 mins of squats. The most recent thing is my muscles will start to cramp up. Not pleasant at all... I just keep telling myself that this is just my body changing and I just have to push through and stay consistent.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    I also posted this question on one of the keto boards but I'm curious. Those who are doing low carb or keto - have you ever been able to keep your total net carbs at 30 grams for the entire day? I did hit 40 one day but typically run between 60-70. I'm trying to lose fat and increase muscle but I've already experienced some of the low carb side effects and I'm just not sure 30 grams is practical for me. I'm just curious to see what everyone else does.
    Thanks!
    Yep! I do.....been averaging under 30 for awhile now. What side effects are you feeling ? I went a few weeks feeling lethargic and lacking strength in my workouts, but as promised, my energy has bounced back

What side effects are you feeling ?" - I have to really push myself in my classes now. It's like I have some sort of invisible force that's holding me back. Spin has really been a struggle since it's non stop cardio for 45 mns straight. I usually don't go any heavier than 35lbs of weight for my Body Blast class but last night I really had to struggle to lift that barbell off my back after 3-4 mins of squats. The most recent thing is my muscles will start to cramp up. Not pleasant at all... I just keep telling myself that this is just my body changing and I just have to push through and stay consistent.
    You just described what I've been feeling. Fair warning, this kind of feeling may last a two to four weeks.....Basically, the more consistent you are with keeping your carbs low, your body will start producing ketones, but it takes about 3-4 weeks for your body to get "fat adapted" which means your body switches over to using fats as energy, instead of glycogen. That will be your sweet spot, you will feel energized, even euphoric some report... Most people feel depleted at first, and call it Keto Flu...What Ive read is you need to get your water intake up, because when you deplete glycogen, you lose a lot of water, and in that water you lose sodium and potassium...(electrolytes) That's why Megan suggested keeping your salt up....If you are cramping you are definitely not getting enough salt. If you are weak, feeling foggy, or feeling off, you are not getting enough salt. Like you, I resisted this notion...but finally I gave in and tried bouillon....And that was the ticket! Its really a simple solution to a lot of issues.

Ok, I got a little long winded. I hope this helps.

Sue

• pwrfl1
    Options
    Also DB, you may want to lower your expectations of your training until you get adapted. Once you are there, you will most likely see some pretty big gains.

PS What in the world is Edward Pies...This must be some sort of Southern Cuisine....
  • Db8688
    Options
    Also DB, you may want to lower your expectations of your training until you get adapted. Once you are there, you will most likely see some pretty big gains.

PS What in the world is Edward Pies...This must be some sort of Southern Cuisine....

Thanks! Bullion is going on the shopping list. Edwards is a brand and they make some tasty pie'Most are pretty close to or as good as home made.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Laura, How exciting for you reaching new levels in your goals and having to change your profile! Keep up the fantastic work!

Thank you! It was a nice realization for sure :) Although I've been feeling super "blah" here lately and haven't been sticking to my meal plan all that well. Need to reset and get re-motivated to tackle the holiday season!
  • pwrfl1
    Options

Thank you! It was a nice realization for sure :) Although I've been feeling super "blah" here lately and haven't been sticking to my meal plan all that well. Need to reset and get re-motivated to tackle the holiday season!
    You will get back at it...You have been doing so well, I know you don't want all that work to be for nothing!

• pwrfl1
    Options
    Soooo, last night I swiped one of my hubbys cookies from the pantry, and when I came out into the living room with it, he barked at me to give it to Jake, our dog.....I SO wanted to eat that cookie, but the hubs won out...well, actually Jake won that battle.
    Thank goodness for Hubs, he had discovered I had gotten into the cookies a few days before. My only excuse was because I was stressed over my Dad being in the hospital and now his mother was admitted too.....Did my family's hospital situation really warrant me going off plan ? I was surprised how quickly I reacted to this kind of stress with food. This is definately something I need to be aware of and find a different way to handle it.
    What do you guys think ? Do you handle stress well? Do you have someone that supports you and holds you in check when making a bad food choice ?
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Soooo, last night I swiped one of my hubbys cookies from the pantry, and when I came out into the living room with it, he barked at me to give it to Jake, our dog.....I SO wanted to eat that cookie, but the hubs won out...well, actually Jake won that battle.
    Thank goodness for Hubs, he had discovered I had gotten into the cookies a few days before. My only excuse was because I was stressed over my Dad being in the hospital and now his mother was admitted too.....Did my family's hospital situation really warrant me going off plan ? I was surprised how quickly I reacted to this kind of stress with food. This is definately something I need to be aware of and find a different way to handle it.
    What do you guys think ? Do you handle stress well? Do you have someone that supports you and holds you in check when making a bad food choice ?

I don't handle stress well at all. Starting a new job in 2013 is what led to my gaining back all the weight of lost in 2012 plus a few more. With that said, I was really upset and emotional yesterday over a package I wanted to take with me to Vegas for thanksgiving that fed ex refused to deliver without a signature and with my work schedule it would be impossible to pick the package up. I was super emotional over something that seemed insignificant and my husband suggested I needed to go out to dinner for comfort. I stayed on track and told him no, because being fat makes me more sad. So I guess I would say I'm doing better with the stress eating, but my husband is still a bad influence. I've learned to cope with a glass of wine instead of fast food like I used to.
  • Db8688
    Options

I go for sugar when I'm stressed. In the past if there wasn't anything on hand I'd pull out what ever ingredients I had and make something. NOW I don't even keep sugar, flour, eggs, or butter on hand. I buy them only when I know I'll be using them all up. The past week or so I've really been wanting some alcohol (vodka). This used to be my stress reliever 20 years ago. The thing with alcohol is it makes me very indifferent and leaves me feeling out of control and just weak in general. I stay away from it just by reminding myself how it makes me feel even after two drinks. Lately, I've been trying to refocus myself so that I do something like clean or exercise to relieve stress. Sometimes that works and sometimes I just drive to the store and buy a can of frosting anyway. I rationalize that frosting will satisfy me, won't impair my judgement and is CHEAP. I'm very thankful for all my new found MFP friends because a lot of times I can just start reading through the posts and wind up being inspired to just stay on track and on the wagon. It's much easier to stay on the wagon than trying to climb back on it once you fall off.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »

I don't handle stress well at all. Starting a new job in 2013 is what led to my gaining back all the weight of lost in 2012 plus a few more. With that said, I was really upset and emotional yesterday over a package I wanted to take with me to Vegas for thanksgiving that fed ex refused to deliver without a signature and with my work schedule it would be impossible to pick the package up. I was super emotional over something that seemed insignificant and my husband suggested I needed to go out to dinner for comfort. I stayed on track and told him no, because being fat makes me more sad. So I guess I would say I'm doing better with the stress eating, but my husband is still a bad influence. I've learned to cope with a glass of wine instead of fast food like I used to.
    . I have had very similar stress triggers like your package this week as well !!! You made a fantastic choice to say no to your husband. Sometimes somewhere it got in grained in us that eating will make us feel better, whether that was the case with your husband when he suggest going out, or he may of thought having a day off from cooking would help ease your pain, Who knows? You put your self first in choosing to stay on track ! Good for you !

• tiffkittyw
    Options

. I have had very similar stress triggers like your package this week as well !!! You made a fantastic choice to say no to your husband. Sometimes somewhere it got in grained in us that eating will make us feel better, whether that was the case with your husband when he suggest going out, or he may of thought having a day off from cooking would help ease your pain, Who knows? You put your self first in choosing to stay on track ! Good for you !

I actually made him cook! Tuesday is breakfast for dinner night and he is the egg chef in our household lol!
  • pwrfl1
    Options

I actually made him cook! Tuesday is breakfast for dinner night and he is the egg chef in our household lol!
    PERFECT!

• pwrfl1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not going to lie, I've committed carbicide!! And oh my !!!! My inflammation in my joints immediately returned, the sugar hangover, the tiredness after eating.....even the hubs committed on how stiff he was feeling etc! When I decided to go low carb, it was very weightloss. What I never thought I would gain would be the feeling of awesomeness with renewed energy, no joint pain, etc course I never related any of those things to my diet !!!! Wow what an eye opener I'm having ! The sugar addiction is real, very real my friends! Now to go cold turkey and get that sugar demon under control !!!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone ....I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving ....I had an awesome one but glad its over ......cooking for the past 3 days wore me out ....a lot of food but I sent a lot of it home with my 45 guest :p ....Sue I can relate to that sugar demon ...I had a slice of chocolate cream pie with oreo cookie crust and immediately didn't feel well ..tummy still upset today
  • Db8688
    Options
    Not going to lie, I've committed carbicide!! And oh my !!!! My inflammation in my joints immediately returned, the sugar hangover, the tiredness after eating.....even the hubs committed on how stiff he was feeling etc! When I decided to go low carb, it was very weightloss. What I never thought I would gain would be the feeling of awesomeness with renewed energy, no joint pain, etc course I never related any of those things to my diet !!!! Wow what an eye opener I'm having ! The sugar addiction is real, very real my friends! Now to go cold turkey and get that sugar demon under control !!!

I had a carb headache today! Amazing how carbs affect ones body! I don't think I have ever experienced one before. It was empowering to go grocery shopping today and restock for the coming week. Workout classes resume tomorrow as well. Also, my daughter has decided to join me in the 28 day squat challenge. We begin on 12/1!
  • pwrfl1
    Options

I had a carb headache today! Amazing how carbs affect ones body! I don't think I have ever experienced one before. It was empowering to go grocery shopping today and restock for the coming week. Workout classes resume tomorrow as well. Also, my daughter has decided to join me in the 28 day squat challenge. We begin on 12/1!
    . It's amazing what the body tells us when we listen. Good luck on the squat challenge !

• pwrfl1
    Options
    How was Las Vegas @tiffkittyw ? And your gluten free celebration @SpectacuLaura ?? Here we are starting a new month today ! I hope you all had a fabulous time with family and friends!!! Bring on the Holiday Cheer !!!!
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    How was Las Vegas @tiffkittyw ? And your gluten free celebration @SpectacuLaura ?? Here we are starting a new month today ! I hope you all had a fabulous time with family and friends!!! Bring on the Holiday Cheer !!!!

Las Vegas was a lot of eating and drinking as expected, but I had a great time visiting my parents.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Well, I pretty much feasted on gluten free goodness for the past week! Thanksgiving was amazing and I always take off a few days from work after the holiday to bake cookies and just have fun with my mom. Needless to say, my sugar intake was insane this past week lol. And boy, can I tell! I've had headaches and just feel so sluggish. But it was definitely worth it for some fun time splurging with my mama :)

Ready to start this month fresh and back on track and end the year feeling healthy and accomplished!