Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Db8688 wrote: »
    My pinterest name is the same as here MFP
    https://in.pinterest.com/db8688/

Now following you on pinterest and love to hear your workout library tips as well as the low carb board and the separate high carb board. When I get through some medical issues that mean I am on low carb only it will be great to see both and hear stories on what works for folk. Count me in here. Interesting.
    . Welcome to our little group, lurk all you want or join in the fun.....you don't have to be carb cycling....we are all low carb most of the week anyways

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Db8688 wrote: »
    My pinterest name is the same as here MFP
    https://in.pinterest.com/db8688/

Now following you on pinterest and love to hear your workout library tips as well as the low carb board and the separate high carb board. When I get through some medical issues that mean I am on low carb only it will be great to see both and hear stories on what works for folk. Count me in here. Interesting.
    . Welcome to our little group, lurk all you want or join in the fun.....you don't have to be carb cycling....we are all low carb most of the week anyways

Thanks! Conscious some groups are less inclusive so didn't want to intrude. Will join in. Thxs!!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    Well peoples ! What do you all have planned for this weekend ? Are you going to incorporate a free meal into the mix ? Any workout goals ?

I'm currently at the gym on the elliptical and I plan to do an hour of this plus walk until I get my 10,000 steps each day through Tuesday when I weigh in for the weight loss contest at work. As for a reward meal I have to skip it this weekend because with my husband being gone last week, the Halloween candy, traveling for work and 3 meals out I consumed a daily average of 1,797 and a net of 1,327 a day and gained 1/2 a pound this morning. I need to get back on track.
    a half a pound is not too bad actually, could be just a matter of holding on to extra water from the resteraunt meals.....you'll get that off plus some I'm sure this week ! Good job getting the candy out of the house !

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did low carb Friday and Saturday and this morning I lost 1.1 lbs since last week (1.6 since yesterday since I was up 1/2 a lb). I was really starting to think that I'd gain weight on 1,300 net calories, I was sad.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Well peoples ! What do you all have planned for this weekend ? Are you going to incorporate a free meal into the mix ? Any workout goals ?

I'm currently at the gym on the elliptical and I plan to do an hour of this plus walk until I get my 10,000 steps each day through Tuesday when I weigh in for the weight loss contest at work. As for a reward meal I have to skip it this weekend because with my husband being gone last week, the Halloween candy, traveling for work and 3 meals out I consumed a daily average of 1,797 and a net of 1,327 a day and gained 1/2 a pound this morning. I need to get back on track.
    a half a pound is not too bad actually, could be just a matter of holding on to extra water from the resteraunt meals.....you'll get that off plus some I'm sure this week ! Good job getting the candy out of the house !

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did low carb Friday and Saturday and this morning I lost 1.1 lbs since last week (1.6 since yesterday since I was up 1/2 a lb). I was really starting to think that I'd gain weight on 1,300 net calories, I was sad.
    Yeah I would be sad too, but fortunately that is simply not the case. I think many of us have found that a super low calorie intake is not needed on this way of eating.....lowering our carbs is the key.....
  • tiffkittyw
    Options

Yeah I would be sad too, but fortunately that is simply not the case. I think many of us have found that a super low calorie intake is not needed on this way of eating.....lowering our carbs is the key.....

True, the low carb really helps.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I've been low carb the past week and I really like it. I've stuck with it this time because I get creative with my foods so I don't get bored. Instead of eggs every morning I switch up sometimes and have a salad. I've found lots of recipes that I'm excited about.

Not sure how I'm going to do carb cycing. I've done 5 straight days of low carb and I'm not having cravings yet and I'm almost afraid to eat them anyway lol. I think I'll allow myself two days a week to have carbs with a meal but just not on consecutive days and stick to a 70/30 rule.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    When I eat low carb I don't count calories, I really don't have to. When I add things up in my head I usually end up eating about 1,500 calories. I think if you aren't eating low carb its more useful to count calories because carb calories add up so quickly plus you tend to eat more when you aren't low carb. I love the freedom of not having to track my exercise or calories. Low carb forces you to eat sensibly anyway and keeps you fuller longer.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    When I eat low carb I don't count calories, I really don't have to. When I add things up in my head I usually end up eating about 1,500 calories. I think if you aren't eating low carb its more useful to count calories because carb calories add up so quickly plus you tend to eat more when you aren't low carb. I love the freedom of not having to track my exercise or calories. Low carb forces you to eat sensibly anyway and keeps you fuller longer.
    Hi there and welcome ! Yes, when you eat low carb , one is usually pretty low on calories, and a huge benefit is that you are low on added sugars as well ! If you chose to do a low carb, moderate protein and high fat...the fat could push those calories up, but still not a huge factor. Studies have shown that this type of eating has shown great success for many health issues, including obesity.
    There are ways to go higher carb by simply just using more veggies, the carb count goes up, but with no big issues of gaining weight on the scale.....if I chose breads or processed whatever's for my high carb, then I immediately see it in the scale, and I feel bloated and often headachey. That's at least how it works in my case.....
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then - been reading up on Keto Cycling and think this might be an option for me. Switched my macro goals to reflect this and even took the test on Bodybuilding.com to confirm my body type and got a recommended 21 day program by Ashley Conrad. I won't be able to follow it to the letter but it will be yet another great plan for me to use as a guide.

• Terpnista84
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi there and welcome ! Yes, when you eat low carb , one is usually pretty low on calories, and a huge benefit is that you are low on added sugars as well ! If you chose to do a low carb, moderate protein and high fat...the fat could push those calories up, but still not a huge factor. Studies have shown that this type of eating has shown great success for many health issues, including obesity.
    There are ways to go higher carb by simply just using more veggies, the carb count goes up, but with no big issues of gaining weight on the scale.....if I chose breads or processed whatever's for my high carb, then I immediately see it in the scale, and I feel bloated and often headachey. That's at least how it works in my case.....

Thanks for the tips. I get my carbs from vegetables, nuts, avocados, fruit, etc. I haven't had any starches up until yesterday and today. I made scallop potatoes and had a small portion with dinner and lunch today. So I won't eat anymore starches until Friday at the earliest. I've lost 4-5 lbs since Thursday. My goal is to lose another 5 by the end of the month.
  • Kirsty_lou88
    Kirsty_lou88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    I've used calculators in the past to calculate the number of grams for carbs, protein, fat on both low and high carb days.
    I was confused because some places tell you to count the carbs in say brocili for example, but others say vegetables (apart from potatos) should not be included in the count.
    Also when I'm going lifting weights at the gym do I do low or high carb on that day, or does it not matter.
    I gave it up and am currently calorie counting and feel this is a positive way for me.
    I am interested in carb cycling though but only with the correct guidance.
    Websites vary on their advice, but I know you guys are trying and testing it so any advice would be appreciated.
    Kirsty xxx
  • tiffkittyw
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi guys
    I've used calculators in the past to calculate the number of grams for carbs, protein, fat on both low and high carb days.
    I was confused because some places tell you to count the carbs in say brocili for example, but others say vegetables (apart from potatos) should not be included in the count.
    Also when I'm going lifting weights at the gym do I do low or high carb on that day, or does it not matter.
    I gave it up and am currently calorie counting and feel this is a positive way for me.
    Websites vary on their advice, but I know you guys are trying and testing it so any advice would be appreciated.
    Kirsty xxx

Unfortunately I don't have any advice since I sort of do my own plan. I look at net carbs and stay under 100 on high carb days and under 40 on low carb days. I also eat fats on high carb days in addition to low carb days, I love fats! I usually will lift weights on high carb days and do just cardio on low carb days. I'm basically just eating this way with hopes my body won't adjust to the diet and plateau. I also eat low carb/low sodium 2 days before I weigh myself to prevent water weight fluctuations.
  • sarahruss2
    sarahruss2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    Kirsty xxx

I am with you-- there is so much conflicting advice out there. I wish I understand the science behind eating 30 minutes after waking up and eating every 3 hours VERSUS so much I read about intermittent fasting (going for say 14-16 hours without food, so nothing after dinner until lunch next day). Both camps seem to think theirs is the BEST way to lose fat… Anyway, I think Tiffany is right about lifting on HC days and having LC days when its just cardio or no workout. Problem is my workouts included both weights and cardio… I also think Tiffany is right about net carbs because the fiber is not digestible so therefore it does not get absorbed as a carbohydrate. So, I count the carbs in everything (including broccoli etc) but subtract out the fiber. Good luck. I truly wish there was ONE way that has been proven to work and endorsed by the medical field.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Welcome Kristy. I think there are several rules of thought. Chris Powell program has veggies, protein and fat on low carb days, and on high carb days, no fat, veggies, and carbs in the form of breads, starchy vegetables, etc. he also suggests your heavier workouts on high carb days, but if you follow his workouts he does some sort of workouts daily. If you follow a more LCHF or Keto plan, their protocol is to keep all carbs including veggies under a certain gram count. I think several programs have medical endorsement from individual doctors, but you will probably not find it mainstream like from the diabetic association The cycle part comes from the weight lifting community. They are masters at cutting and bulking for their various events. I think many of us like the idea of keeping our bodies guessing so we don't plateau , plus it allows for diet flexibility for social events etc....
    The one thing I've found is what works for one person may not work for another. I personally am finding results keeping my carbs as low as possible. I shoot for 20 -30 grams carb totals, 80-100 gr protein and the rest in fats. My higher carb days are 50-70 gr carbs...and I'm working on keeping my carbs veggies, nuts, and no breads etc. I would love to get my body " keto adapted " so it's using my fat for energy in place of gyclogen. I've got plenty to burn, if you know what I mean.
    So I know , this really didn't answer your question , but hopefully it helps you to understand the different protocols.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    Hi guys
    Kirsty xxx

Unfortunately I don't have any advice since I sort of do my own plan. I look at net carbs and stay under 100 on high carb days and under 40 on low carb days. I also eat fats on high carb days in addition to low carb days, I love fats! I usually will lift weights on high carb days and do just cardio on low carb days. I'm basically just eating this way with hopes my body won't adjust to the diet and plateau. I also eat low carb/low sodium 2 days before I weigh myself to prevent water weight fluctuations.
    Hi! Can you tell me what your routine is. How many days do you stay under 40 and how many days do you stay under 100. I don't count carbs but I estimate I eat no more than 50. I know I won't have a problem staying under 100 on high carb day but I was worried about gaining weight back.
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    Hi guys
    Kirsty xxx

Hi! Can you tell me what your routine is. How many days do you stay under 40 and how many days do you stay under 100. I don't count carbs but I estimate I eat no more than 50. I know I won't have a problem staying under 100 on high carb day but I was worried about gaining weight back.

Hi, I do low carb under 40 net on Tuesdays, Thursday's and Friday's and I do high carb under 100 net on Mondays, Wednesday's, and Sunday's. Saturday is my reward meal day.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    LOL A keto cyclers nightmare or....uq3c3nhv6mne.jpg
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Holy Carbville !! Some days I could of easily done damage on that bad boy !
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    That pizza looks yummy. Now I want some pizza, ugh. The struggle never ends.
  • sarahruss2
    sarahruss2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I did LC/Keto for a while and it really worked but it was just not sustainable for me (energy not so great and could tell i was losing muscle mass) and also, it eventually did NOT work anymore - could eat very LC and low calorie and scale would not budge. I really think adding the HC days in there (2-3 a week) made a huge difference. I can eat more that I used to be able to (total calories) and not gain weight within say one week. The scale moves a little up and down from HC to LC days but its not much at all. I actually prefer LC days because I can eat more stuff like cheese, guacamole, coconut wraps :)