Options

Replies

• tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    Well here we are at the beginning of another month and time to reaccess what's been working in this Way of Eating for me. The next two months throw down some serious carb damage and I want to be prepared as much as possible to be on the losing end of the scale come Jan 1........does anyone have any particular insights that is or isn't working for them ?

Unfortunately I do not have any insight. Halloween proved I have no self control and next Saturday the scale will reflect the damage I've done. It doesn't help that my husband's new job requires him to travel so he is gone this week, and will be gone a week or 2 every month this winter and I'm an emotional eater. I need to get control of my eating for comfort. I also travel 1 day this week and will need to balance my airport lunch with the rest of the day's calories. I've pre-logged the rest of the week so I just need to stick with it. I brought the left over Halloween candy to work this morning so it's out of the house. I'm going to try and get as much exercise in as possible over the holidays which will be hard in Vegas for thanksgiving, but I will try to go on a walk each day. Otherwise I won't be too concerned if I have one 3,000 calorie day for both holidays if I cut back on calories 1 week prior to save up for that day.
    . Tiff....I know all to well about emotional eating when husband is out of town. It took me awhile, but I finally put together a game plan for when he travels....I use this time to do two workouts a day....I pre cooked some really healthy meals that he doesn't care for and ate that through out the week, I put all his " junk food " either in the freezer or in opaque containers in the pantry, I make a point to contact girl friends I don't get to see very often, I chose a good read for the evenings, and soak in the bath tub if I have time..... I treat it as my" ME Week". Good job getting that candy out of the house....that's a huge step....And walking in Vegas is great way to stay active out in the sun !!!!

Great tips Sue! I will try some of them when he leaves again next month.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well here we are at the beginning of another month and time to reaccess what's been working in this Way of Eating for me. The next two months throw down some serious carb damage and I want to be prepared as much as possible to be on the losing end of the scale come Jan 1........does anyone have any particular insights that is or isn't working for them ?

Right now...I got nothing. Two of my three girls are grown married and out of the house. They live 2-4 hours away (one in state one out of state) and usually have to work holidays (healthcare industry). I've grown accustomed to being non traditional with our holiday celebrations and right now we're working on a "fake Thanksgiving" meaning we will celebrate together but we haven't nailed down the date yet. Christmas is kind of up in the air too but my one and only grandbaby will turn 1 on 12/28 so I'm sure we'll be incorporating a HUGE celebration around that date or weekend. Food wise I don't like a lot of the savory foods. I love a good roasted turkey but the side items I can easily pass up. My 15 yr old has already given me the list of items she wants me to prepare (She's not a sweet eater so no danger there.) SWEETS are the big problem with me. I think I've finally convinced my mom that there is no longer a need to make three cakes, two pies, and the sweet potato souffle with the pecan and brown sugar topping. Last year we narrowed it down to baked sweet potatoes and one dessert.

I haven't bought any halloween candy so far (even though it's on sale). One thing that IS working so far in allowing myself a sweet binge every third weekend. This coming weekend will by my first "binge" and I'm strategizing over what I want to have.

I do love reading all of everyone's posts and look forward to hearing how you all fare through the holidays. Actually I do have one plan in the works....I'm considering hitting the gym Thanksgiving and the day after. There won't be any classes going on but this may be a great time to go in and do my own thing while everyone else is lying around miserably full of holiday food. :wink:
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Db8688 wrote: »

Right now...I got nothing. Two of my three girls are grown married and out of the house. They live 2-4 hours away (one in state one out of state) and usually have to work holidays (healthcare industry). I've grown accustomed to being non traditional with our holiday celebrations and right now we're working on a "fake Thanksgiving" meaning we will celebrate together but we haven't nailed down the date yet. Christmas is kind of up in the air too but my one and only grandbaby will turn 1 on 12/28 so I'm sure we'll be incorporating a HUGE celebration around that date or weekend. Food wise I don't like a lot of the savory foods. I love a good roasted turkey but the side items I can easily pass up. My 15 yr old has already given me the list of items she wants me to prepare (She's not a sweet eater so no danger there.) SWEETS are the big problem with me. I think I've finally convinced my mom that there is no longer a need to make three cakes, two pies, and the sweet potato souffle with the pecan and brown sugar topping. Last year we narrowed it down to baked sweet potatoes and one dessert.

I haven't bought any halloween candy so far (even though it's on sale). One thing that IS working so far in allowing myself a sweet binge every third weekend. This coming weekend will by my first "binge" and I'm strategizing over what I want to have.

I do love reading all of everyone's posts and look forward to hearing how you all fare through the holidays. Actually I do have one plan in the works....I'm considering hitting the gym Thanksgiving and the day after. There won't be any classes going on but this may be a great time to go in and do my own thing while everyone else is lying around miserably full of holiday food. :wink:
    .Thanks DB, I like your idea of a fake Thanksgiving ! My son that is in college informed he was flying to see his gf in CT this Thanksgiving ...so it's just me and the hubby. I too have gone rather untraditional. One year we just decided to let the kid decide what we would serve for Thanksgiving, and he chose Nachos! It was the most relaxed dinner we had in a long time, so ever since then, we just do what we want, unless we are invited somewhere, then it's usually more traditional and I'll bring a dish. Christmas is a little different. I try very hard to get back to see my parents , so the kid will join us there.. it's not necessarily on Christmas, but sometime around there usually. My job sometimes gets a little crazy near then so I have to keep available . Your going to the gym reminded me that there will probably be some Turkey trots, 5 k races....I will see what it is going on. We are signed up for the Santa Shuffle....it's a 5 k for your dog....should be fun ! I too, hope that ppl will still post and chat on this thread ! It helps me so much !!!!

• pwrfl1
    Options
    Btw DB, your Mom really would go to town on her desserts ! Wow !!! Simply amazing not to mention stamina !!
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nachos for Thanksgiving sounds amazing! I've never been a big fan of traditional Thanksgiving food and even less so since my Celiac diagnosis. Plus both my and my husband's parents are divorced so we always have 4 family dinners to do for every holiday (and are expected to save room to eat at all of them!)

My dad's side of the family is 100% Italian so Thanksgiving always included pasta growing up but when I had to go gluten free, my dad decided to switch things up and do a "Crabsgiving". So for the past several years we had crab legs and shrimp and baked potatoes :)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Oooohhh crab legs and shrimp would definately be something I would save room for !!!! Four family dinners would probably put me into a stress tail spin! It's wonderful you get along with all. I've got to say, shopping for nachos was great that year bc you know how grocery stores get right before the big day.....yuk!
  • sarahruss2
    sarahruss2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving week will be my first slingshot week (5 days maybe). Not go crazy with carbs - yes some but also lots of turkey, great veggies & salads too. I won't have carb heavy foods that I don't LOVE - like I'll skip the stuffing and some pies that aren't my favorites. I WILL have my favorites though and throughly enjoy them. I really do think its important to have some of the things you love and always look forward to on Thanksgiving. Yes, I know that I may overindulge a bit but I know I will feel like crap if I over indulge for too long. I will also TRY to get some exercise that day. One year my whole family took a run in the woods with our dogs in the late morning. That really felt great.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Totally agree with you Sarah on having your favorites and enjoying them....and having your Slingshot during this week is brilliant planning ! I've read where if you go over your carbs, cardio exercise that day will help burn that extra gyclogen in your system..... I guess I Hadn't thought of using cardio in this manner....I love love hikes in the woods ! What a great way to get the family out and doing something healthy !!!!
  • sarahruss2
    sarahruss2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    dunkut wrote: »
    Help needed!! I have been carb cycling since July 1st, I have dropped 35 pounds but man the progress seems slow. I try not to get impatient as the progress has been awesome. I weighed 275 and now weigh 240. I do the turbo cycle and oddly enough my high carb day on Wednesday I always weigh the lowest. In the beginning my eating was perfect, now there is a random item here and there that I do log. I'm a big guy so my concern is I'm not eating enough?? Low carb days fall between 1500-1700 calories and high are about 2k-2100. I always have lots of calories to eat back but don't as I am trying to stick to the plan. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hey! Congrats on your progress! I am no expert but from my experience and the more I read, I think you might not be eating enough. The theory is that by eating less than you are burning for an extended period of time, you have stunted your metabolism. Might want to check out the info from Eat More to Weigh Less. Here's a link to a pretty good explanation http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554
    Forgive me if you already know this or don't find it useful its just something that I came across and think is valuable in my case.
    Good Luck!
  • dunkut
    dunkut Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I will check it out, thank you. The scale continues to just be gridlocked. It's driving me insane but I won't let it defeat me. Going to return back to flawless eating and try to incorporate some more clean calories to see if that helps
  • Db8688
    Options
    Thanksgiving always included pasta growing up but when I had to go gluten free, my dad decided t
    sarahruss2 wrote: »
    dunkut wrote: »
    Help needed!! I have been carb cycling since July 1st, I have dropped 35 pounds but man the progress seems slow. I try not to get impatient as the progress has been awesome. I weighed 275 and now weigh 240. I do the turbo cycle and oddly enough my high carb day on Wednesday I always weigh the lowest. In the beginning my eating was perfect, now there is a random item here and there that I do log. I'm a big guy so my concern is I'm not eating enough?? Low carb days fall between 1500-1700 calories and high are about 2k-2100. I always have lots of calories to eat back but don't as I am trying to stick to the plan. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hey! Congrats on your progress! I am no expert but from my experience and the more I read, I think you might not be eating enough. The theory is that by eating less than you are burning for an extended period of time, you have stunted your metabolism. Might want to check out the info from Eat More to Weigh Less. Here's a link to a pretty good explanation http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554
    Forgive me if you already know this or don't find it useful its just something that I came across and think is valuable in my case.
    Good Luck!

Great article! Thanks for sharing!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Well peoples ! What do you all have planned for this weekend ? Are you going to incorporate a free meal into the mix ? Any workout goals ?
  • Db8688
    Options
    To sum up our earlier convo: Cheeseburger(s) and birthday cake - regularly scheduled body blast class, walking at the mall, maybe yogilates on Sunday. Belly dancing class also an option but I'm just not that comfortable in my own skin to be rolling my belly around yet. :D
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    To sum up our earlier convo: Cheeseburger(s) and birthday cake - regularly scheduled body blast class, walking at the mall, maybe yogilates on Sunday. Belly dancing class also an option but I'm just not that comfortable in my own skin to be rolling my belly around yet. :D
    Haha ! Oh com'on, you don't want to belly dance ? You really have an awesome gym you belong to that offers this variety !!! I'm cooking a new receipe tonight, I found it on a keto site. I'm modifying it a little since my DH doesn't care for a couple of the ingredients. Lemon Butter Chicken.......
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My pinterest name is the same as here MFP
    https://in.pinterest.com/db8688/

Now following you on pinterest and love to hear your workout library tips as well as the low carb board and the separate high carb board. When I get through some medical issues that mean I am on low carb only it will be great to see both and hear stories on what works for folk. Count me in here. Interesting.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well peoples ! What do you all have planned for this weekend ? Are you going to incorporate a free meal into the mix ? Any workout goals ?

I'm currently at the gym on the elliptical and I plan to do an hour of this plus walk until I get my 10,000 steps each day through Tuesday when I weigh in for the weight loss contest at work. As for a reward meal I have to skip it this weekend because with my husband being gone last week, the Halloween candy, traveling for work and 3 meals out I consumed a daily average of 1,797 and a net of 1,327 a day and gained 1/2 a pound this morning. I need to get back on track.
  • Db8688
    Options
    My pinterest name is the same as here MFP
    https://in.pinterest.com/db8688/

Now following you on pinterest and love to hear your workout library tips as well as the low carb board and the separate high carb board. When I get through some medical issues that mean I am on low carb only it will be great to see both and hear stories on what works for folk. Count me in here. Interesting.

Welcome!
  • Db8688
    Options
    Met oldest daughter and grand baby for lunch at burger 21. Spent 3-4 hours walking through the mall. Picked up a round cake (smallest they had) at Sam's club and favorite artisan vanilla bean ice cream. Had 2 slices of cake and ice cream after getting home. Now I have a head ache and feel sick from all the fat and sugar.. No more sweet cheating for another 3 weeks and I think next time I may not even want a sweet cheat. :s
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »

I'm currently at the gym on the elliptical and I plan to do an hour of this plus walk until I get my 10,000 steps each day through Tuesday when I weigh in for the weight loss contest at work. As for a reward meal I have to skip it this weekend because with my husband being gone last week, the Halloween candy, traveling for work and 3 meals out I consumed a daily average of 1,797 and a net of 1,327 a day and gained 1/2 a pound this morning. I need to get back on track.
    a half a pound is not too bad actually, could be just a matter of holding on to extra water from the resteraunt meals.....you'll get that off plus some I'm sure this week ! Good job getting the candy out of the house !
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Met oldest daughter and grand baby for lunch at burger 21. Spent 3-4 hours walking through the mall. Picked up a round cake (smallest they had) at Sam's club and favorite artisan vanilla bean ice cream. Had 2 slices of cake and ice cream after getting home. Now I have a head ache and feel sick from all the fat and sugar.. No more sweet cheating for another 3 weeks and I think next time I may not even want a sweet cheat. :s
    Isn't amazing how sensitive you get to the sugar ! I used to chow down on some major sugar items throughput the day without another thought.....since this way of eating, I've become super sensitive, like with in minutes of it hitting my mouth, I've got a headache !!
    Maybe I'll beat that diabetic gene after all !!!! Good job going with the small cake, I'm a go big or go home kind of gal !! Lol