Options

Replies

• mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Just remember one thing. It's not just counting calories. It's the quality of those calories. Like avoiding all the fun places we go to. Starbucks, DD, McDonald's, etc. Those are very bad for you. Or just be sure to choose the lesser of all evils. Like fraps and lattes for just coffee. A Donut for an Egg White Sandwich.

I totally agree with you. Fun is so overrated.

because dieting should be on par with being tortured during the Inquisition....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    i prefer to drink my calories..... Juicing, anyone?
    Sobelmans.jpg
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    i prefer to drink my calories..... Juicing, anyone?
    Sobelmans.jpg

Mmhmm. You get me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just remember one thing. It's not just counting calories. It's the quality of those calories. Like avoiding all the fun places we go to. Starbucks, DD, McDonald's, etc. Those are very bad for you. Or just be sure to choose the lesser of all evils. Like fraps and lattes for just coffee. A Donut for an Egg White Sandwich.

Are you joking?

You are using "calories" as a synonym for "foods" and it's not. I think that's why a lot of these debates occur. A calorie is a unit of energy, so a calorie is a calorie, just like a lb is a lb. A lb of feathers is not less heavy than a lb of gold. Similarly, a calorie from a BigMac (that is actually properly measured and consumed and used by the body) is not more fattening than a calorie from an apple. (One might well find it easier to consume lots of calories from BigMacs than apples, although one might not -- I do not like BigMacs and would more easily consume the calories in the apples.)

However, when we say "a calorie is a calorie," we of course do not mean that a food is a food. Foods differ in lots of different ways. That matters for health and might matter for how easy it is to stick to a weight loss plan.

Therefore, I firmly agree that the quality of one's diet matters. But not necessarily for weight loss -- not if the calories in the poor diet are the same as in the high-quality diet and if one is able to keep up the same activity level.

There is also NO reason to avoid Starbucks, DD, or McD's, although none of them strike me as especially fun, so I almost never go to any of them. I go to Starbucks when I want coffee and nowhere else is easily available and drink a black coffee or Americano, neither of which has many calories. (Other places have better coffee, though.)

I've ranted enough and this thread is about calorie counting, so won't go into my general preference for eggs over egg whites if we are going to talk nutrition. ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    tajxqh8y8299.jpg

Heh, cute.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

^^^^ You get it!

thumb screws anyone?
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

(Since McD's and DD seem like the anti-fun to me, I guess I should go there.)

For the record, and because I may sound like a grouch, I'm not anti-donut. Someone in my office brought in donuts from Stan's this morning so I decided to eat half of one as my post-workout snack. I'm going to fit it in my calories. ;-)

Am I supported in this?
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    If you feel like avoiding fun places, that is your path, and I support you 100%.
    There should be a tshirt.....
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    If you feel like avoiding fun places, that is your path, and I support you 100%.

I'd buy that
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I'd buy that
    I swear if there was a coffee mug, LOL take up an etsy order

• kk_inprogress
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I'd buy that
    I swear if there was a coffee mug, LOL take up an etsy order

Dibs. I'm going to get rich.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no? :D

So one must do penance.

For the record, and because I may sound like a grouch, I'm not anti-donut. Someone in my office brought in donuts from Stan's this morning so I decided to eat half of one as my post-workout snack. I'm going to fit it in my calories. ;-)

Am I supported in this?

You have my support (for what it's worth) :smiley: I'm not attracted to eating out anymore, and especially not fast food, after I started cooking whatever I could, and stopped trying to eat low-fat. I love to cook now, and I love to eat my lovely food :D

I think eating what we need, is not gluttony. It's taking care of ourselves, and thus being less dependant on others' help later.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

You have my support (for what it's worth) :smiley: I'm not attracted to eating out anymore, and especially not fast food, after I started cooking whatever I could, and stopped trying to eat low-fat. I love to cook now, and I love to eat my lovely food :D

I think eating what we need, is not gluttony. It's taking care of ourselves, and thus being less dependant on others' help later.

I would agree that eating what we need is not gluttony. (I was joking around about the penance thing, or more specifically referring to what I think is at the base of some really restrictive approaches to dieting.)

I haven't liked fast food since I was a kid, so I've never really understood the appeal or why people find it hard to give up, but for those who like it they can fit it in.

I love to cook and cook most of my meals, but I have to admit that that hasn't killed my desire to eat out at all. In fact, I love going to good restaurants and getting ideas of new ways to prepare things or exposure to foods or a cuisine I have not tried before. Importantly, this is not a desire I would want to go away.

(This can pose a challenge to the calorie counting, as it's always hard to properly count the calories in those foods, but the beauty of the calorie counting approach, of course, is that I can have a more indulgent meal and find a way to fit it in.)
  • sharimarie03
    sharimarie03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I support that sentiment as well.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Very well said :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

I would agree that eating what we need is not gluttony. (I was joking around about the penance thing, or more specifically referring to what I think is at the base of some really restrictive approaches to dieting.)

I haven't liked fast food since I was a kid, so I've never really understood the appeal or why people find it hard to give up, but for those who like it they can fit it in.

I love to cook and cook most of my meals, but I have to admit that that hasn't killed my desire to eat out at all. In fact, I love going to good restaurants and getting ideas of new ways to prepare things or exposure to foods or a cuisine I have not tried before. Importantly, this is not a desire I would want to go away.

(This can pose a challenge to the calorie counting, as it's always hard to properly count the calories in those foods, but the beauty of the calorie counting approach, of course, is that I can have a more indulgent meal and find a way to fit it in.)

I actually wish I had a greater desire for eating out. I love to be able to eat something I can't make myself, because of lack of skills, space or equipment, or just not bothering to mess around with. But, but, there are so many dishes I want to try to cook, and so many old favorites that I can't get enough of! It piles up on me :#

Partly relevant to your last comment; the beauty of eating real food, as I see it, is that when I eat mostly real food, I don't have to count calories, because satiety prevents me from overeating.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories?
    How thoroughly?
    Does it seem to correlate well with weight loss / gain?
    I've heard from one or two people that this might actually be how to lose weight.

giphy.gif