Who here counts calories

Options

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Slapdash right now, more out of curiosity than anything. When I get to that last ten or so to lose, I'll probably have to dust off my food scale and be precise. I'll know when it happens because the scale will stall out for several days.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Partly relevant to your last comment; the beauty of eating real food, as I see it, is that when I eat mostly real food, I don't have to count calories, because satiety prevents me from overeating.

Sadly, this is not true for me, although I can maintain (so long as I care enough) without literal counting, but by doing things like watching portion sizes and limiting when I eat most days (i.e., sticking to meals).

I have come to terms with the fact that real hunger has little to do with my desire to eat. I tend to be hungry when I'm used to eating (and generally not so hungry that I can't distract myself), but I generally can eat even if not especially hungry. Makes dieting easier, but means I'm no intuitive eater.

Also, I'd call the high cal (because of all the butter or the like) restaurant meal real food, just like my low cal fish and vegetables meal, and they'd likely not be hugely different in how satiating they are (because fat just doesn't sate me -- it tastes good and is satisfying, but I could do a 1200 cal low fat diet and not be hungry at all, just bored). On the other hand, I could eat a ridiculous number of calories in cheese without feeling stuffed or uncomfortably full. I could do that now, even though I am not hungry at all.

That some of us humans have messed up or weak hunger/fullness responses like this was likely helpful when food was a feast or famine kind of affair.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I tried once but it didn't work for me. The calories kept disappearing into an alternate universe. I must have PCOS or thyroid or something.

:joy:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Just remember one thing. It's not just counting calories. It's the quality of those calories. Like avoiding all the fun places we go to. Starbucks, DD, McDonald's, etc. Those are very bad for you. Or just be sure to choose the lesser of all evils. Like fraps and lattes for just coffee. A Donut for an Egg White Sandwich.

I totally agree with you. Fun is so overrated.

because dieting should be on par with being tortured during the Inquisition....

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

(Since McD's and DD seem like the anti-fun to me, I guess I should go there.)

For the record, and because I may sound like a grouch, I'm not anti-donut. Someone in my office brought in donuts from Stan's this morning so I decided to eat half of one as my post-workout snack. I'm going to fit it in my calories. ;-)

Am I supported in this?

Half a donut? Amateur.... no way am I supporting you unless you eat at least 2. ;)

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I tried once but it didn't work for me. The calories kept disappearing into an alternate universe. I must have PCOS or thyroid or something.

Ugh, those thyroids are the worst.

I thought the magic number was 46, not 42. That explains why I've been on a plateau for two years!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Partly relevant to your last comment; the beauty of eating real food, as I see it, is that when I eat mostly real food, I don't have to count calories, because satiety prevents me from overeating.

Sadly, this is not true for me, although I can maintain (so long as I care enough) without literal counting, but by doing things like watching portion sizes and limiting when I eat most days (i.e., sticking to meals).

I have come to terms with the fact that real hunger has little to do with my desire to eat. I tend to be hungry when I'm used to eating (and generally not so hungry that I can't distract myself), but I generally can eat even if not especially hungry. Makes dieting easier, but means I'm no intuitive eater.

Also, I'd call the high cal (because of all the butter or the like) restaurant meal real food, just like my low cal fish and vegetables meal, and they'd likely not be hugely different in how satiating they are (because fat just doesn't sate me -- it tastes good and is satisfying, but I could do a 1200 cal low fat diet and not be hungry at all, just bored). On the other hand, I could eat a ridiculous number of calories in cheese without feeling stuffed or uncomfortably full. I could do that now, even though I am not hungry at all.

That some of us humans have messed up or weak hunger/fullness responses like this was likely helpful when food was a feast or famine kind of affair.

Before MFP, I used to overeat every day, because I didn't think I could feel satiety, and I had no idea of proper portions (I belived that was some war time rations thing, or something), I'd just prepare some random amount of food, and I hate to throw away food, too, I was totally messed up; so I'd just suddenly be completely stuffed (on food*), and I never had a clue about how that had happened :s I had to learn to trust MFP, and that what I had planned and served myself, was the right portion sizes for me. Because it makes me energized, I lose/maintain weight according to plan, and I feel allright, I reasoned, after a while, that this is what "satiety" is supposed to feel like, and it doesn't really feel like much, but it feels pleasant.

So I do exert portion control, now - I usually eat four meals a day (I landed on that after trying a number of eating patterns). I usually eat the same sorts of things in about the same amounts, for each meal every day. But I can tell when I am full and then I stop (if there's a lot left and/or something I can save for later, otherwise I'll force it down) or if I think I need some more, then I'll eat some more. I am certain that it will even out. I weigh every day and the trend looks great. I wait until hungry before I eat, and I enjoy that too. It makes me look more forward to eating.

*Junk food, on the other hand, I could never get enough. I never felt full or stuffed. I'd eat it all and crave more. My calorie allotment allows, maybe, 25 grams of chocolate per day. What's the point in 25 grams of chocolate? I'd rather skip it. There are so much food I like to eat and that makes me happy. I still want it from time to time, but I feel that I can choose if I want to eat it or not, and I usually choose not to.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Just remember one thing. It's not just counting calories. It's the quality of those calories. Like avoiding all the fun places we go to. Starbucks, DD, McDonald's, etc. Those are very bad for you. Or just be sure to choose the lesser of all evils. Like fraps and lattes for just coffee. A Donut for an Egg White Sandwich.

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

For the record, and because I may sound like a grouch, I'm not anti-donut. Someone in my office brought in donuts from Stan's this morning so I decided to eat half of one as my post-workout snack. I'm going to fit it in my calories. ;-)

Am I supported in this?

Half a donut? Amateur.... no way am I supporting you unless you eat at least 2. ;)

Ya, I can't support 1/2 donut either - just sounds wrong. I'll support 1 though.

Now, if sitting there with 1/2 uneaten donut merely to practice self-control - power to you for that workout.

I'd fail, and not the good fail in lifting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

Ya, I can't support 1/2 donut either - just sounds wrong. I'll support 1 though.

Now, if sitting there with 1/2 uneaten donut merely to practice self-control - power to you for that workout.

I'd fail, and not the good fail in lifting.

They were in a box in the kitchen, and people (not just me) were cutting them in half, so I just took half. All gone soon enough after I took mine, so no self control needed.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

There are gluten free donuts. I just can't bring myself to try them. I think they'd be made of either lead or air and disappointment.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

There are gluten free donuts. I just can't bring myself to try them. I think they'd be made of either lead or air and disappointment.

I haven't tried them either. Went to a local farmer's market last summer after seeing an ad for a place there selling gluten free donuts (gourmet flavours, too!). Turned out they use the same oil as their gluten donuts, I was devastated and left empty handed :'(
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Silly man, those things keep giving you calories you swore you weren't eating.

Except my thyroid hasn't been, apparently. I got it on special from Thyroids 'r Us...one that's diseased but lets me lose weight.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that new Dr. Cico diet and it works like a charm, but it's so slow :<
  • kommodevaran
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

Gluten free, glutton free :D
    No wonder that fad has taken off
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

Ha, well any celiac can tell you that it's still all about CICO
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    Of course I count my calories. It is a calorie counting website is it not? ;)

^^..^^ this.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

I have. Some are good, some are not. They are not as good as the gluten-filled kind, and they WAY more expensive. So kind of not worth it. The glazed kind, by Kinnickinnick (sp?) isn't bad, if you warm them up.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

There was a website that actually had a typo where it said glutton free cookies but meant gluten free. I sent them in a message and said "I think you mean gluten free, but if you have a glutton free cookie recipe, I'd be very interested."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I use the Dr. Oz calorie counting system, does that count?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

^^^^ You get it!

Gluttony is a sin, no?

So one must do penance.

Am I supported in this?

There was a website that actually had a typo where it said glutton free cookies but meant gluten free. I sent them in a message and said "I think you mean gluten free, but if you have a glutton free cookie recipe, I'd be very interested."

:D