Who here counts calories

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
Do you count calories?
How thoroughly?
Does it seem to correlate well with weight loss / gain?
I've heard from one or two people that this might actually be how to lose weight.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No never. ;)

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Of course I count my calories. It is a calorie counting website is it not? ;)

• senecarr
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    There's a way to count calories on MyFitnessPal? I thought it was just a forum and blog.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    There's a way to count calories on MyFitnessPal? I thought it was just a forum and blog.

is this real life?
  • Azexas
    Options

Go past the woo and take a left. If you hit the Dr. Oz and MLM's you've gone too far.
  • senecarr
    Options

is this real life?
    274027_700b.jpg

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Go past the woo and take a left. If you hit the Dr. Oz and MLM's you've gone too far.

Just stay away from the detox.
  • senecarr
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Could I snag a detox on my way to the calorie counter? Won't it jump start my metabolism?
  • Azexas
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Could I snag a detox on my way to the calorie counter? Won't it jump start my metabolism?

Only if it involved distilled potato juice
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Counting Calories? It's snake oil. smh.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't count. I just write down my favorite number and go with that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I did, and lost 60-ish pounds because of it.

Then, I continued counting, and (intentionally, over the course of a couple bulk cycles) put about 15 back on.

It was extremely helpful for me in accomplishing my goals.

Today, I don't strictly count them per se, but I use a lot of what I learned during my weight loss and bulk to help manage my caloric intake and exercise. I do still weigh in occasionally to ensure I'm maintaining within my desired range.

Should I begin to fail at maintaining, I'll go back to basics and start counting again.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I count calories. Very thoroughly. Basically, I don't count herbs and seasonings.

My 122 pound weight loss correlated directly with the period during which I was counting calories and keeping my intake below my burn. This worked well for me when I ate relatively few carbs because there wasn't room for them and when I eat about 500 grams a day because there was room for them.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You have to detox with clean carbs to loose weight. Counting calories only works if you set your calorie goal to 1200 per day and then do 3 hours of HIIT cardio at midnight while drinking banana juice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did--lost 95 lbs.

I've not been counting them lately and am also not losing anymore. Hmm. And I'm working out and eating a really healthy diet too.

(I've also not cared that much about losing the last 5-7 lbs that I'd in theory like to lose, but I'm seriously thinking about starting to count again because I am actually starting to think it's time.)

I am so happy to have gotten over all the weird superstitious/dysfunctional things about food and weight gain that I used to buy into, even while knowing in my head that calories were what mattered.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I did for 18 months, and because of what that taught me, I don't have to anymore.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Me! I count calories! 20-ish lbs gone and still going. I've blocked out all the woo, eat what I like, and exercise for my beer calories.

It's working like a charm.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I count them. See?

. <--- one.
    . <--- two.

Never mind, it's too complicated and time consuming.
  • senecarr
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I count them. See?

. <--- one.
    . <--- two.

Never mind, it's too complicated and time consuming.

You forgot to zero it. That's why it was so time consuming. Likes this:
    . <--- one.
    zeroed / tar
    . <--- one.

See, now you only had one calorie to count.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    1, 1 calorie bwahahaha
    2, 2 calories bwhahahaha

That's how I count my calories, a la sesame street!

image.png?w=400&c=1