WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Janetr frustrating about the nurse. Glad you are on the mend.

Barbie loved the poster about the HOOK. It is easier said than done to avoid biting.

Liza interesting ideas about the protozoan. After reading Brain Maker, I do think the bacteria and viruses that live within me can have a profound effect on my health. Like so many things in life I think getting them to work for me rather than against me is more than half the battle. How I achieve this is going to be unique to me i.e. what works for me may or may not work for you and vice a versa. The profound respect I hear in our voices for each other as we find what works for us in our lives is what brings me back to this group.

Going to my aunt's funeral reminds me of how important it is to thank the people who are part of your life. The time you spend with people is a gift. The quality versus the quantity is what counts.

As many of you know on this site this has not been the easiest year for me. I cannot thank you enough for sharing this time with me and helping me clarify my thoughts as I work through the problems in my life that threaten to impact my health. To have this place to come for support changed my life for the better and lessened the severity of the blows that happened to me. You help me see another perspective, so that my problems become more manageable. To all of you whether you have been here for years or just stop by every once in awhile THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. :heart:

:heart: MNMargaet
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lenora with Irises you cut back leaving 4-6 inches of leaves. If the bulb is popping out you can cover with dirt. When you plant them they are not planted very deep,, so I would not put much dirt on them especially since you are further south than I am. You cut them back in the fall to prevent Iris borer.

I rarely post on other sites because of the rude remarks.

Funeral went very well.

:heart: MNMargaret

Thanks, Margaret; that's what I needed to know. Hope the funeral was not someone really close; I only got back here the first of October. Next Saturday I'll be going to the memorial service of a HS friend who committed suicide a couple of weeks ago. HS classmates will sit behind the family. She was such a sweet soul, very quite, and was voted our Homecoming queen. She had been through so much in the past 3 or 4 years and nobody really knew what was going through her head. Friend and his wife knew she was feeling low so they took her to the beach with them the week before it occurred; her brother got married 2 days later; and last week she was supposed to visit with a friend (another HS classmate) in California. We were a very small class and all very close. I'm dreading it; but, have to go and be with my other friends.

Other than that I am doing great. My diet is going smoothly; and I've lost a total of 25.5lbs since the middle of May. Hope you are doing well
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    morning chores are done, went and fed DFIL and then over to get Faith all set, then came home and frosted Dads cake and baked off his cookies, so he is all set birthday wise... tomorrow is the big day he will be 87 can you believe it?
    Well I told him I would be up for pot luck, then he called me back a bit a go and asked me to meet him up there for service... I am only doing it for him, I can't stand the pastor there.. he is a pompus *kitten*..
    here is the story behind all that..
    when i went through my divorce many years ago, Rich and I went to counseling with him, he told me point blank you will lose..
    when it was time to go to court, and my ex was nasty.. my dad(yes you heard that right ) and Pastor Johnson showed up to testify against me.. dad didnt believe in divorce ,but showed up to testify on my brothers behalf when he divorced.go figure... so needless to say I was ticked.. Pastor was going against confidentiality... but what he didnt know is I had one up on him... I was working as a lunch lady at a high school and the art teacher rented a house to one of his parishiners(sp) and the Pastor was having an affair with her.
    so had he really gotten that far I could have blown the congregation out of the water,even though my dad hurt me horribly I didnt want to hurt him doing that.. I also forgave him for doing what he did for myself and his grandchildren..
    ..so that is the reason I dont want to go.. but for my dad.. I will go... and he has his tasty treats for his birthday... just like his mom used to make <3
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Katla, so glad you invited your neighbors over and had a good time. I’ll bet they did too. You definitely need to do it again.

TerriR, the card you made is beautiful. I’m sure they appreciated it.

Allison, what is a pellet stove? Is it for the kitchen? I’m glad you have dogs or you could freeze. smiley-sad006.gif

Janetr, I’d be unhappy with the nurse too. Did she not even call and just show up that late? Good grief. Sorry the pain meds are causing nausea. Can he not give you something different? Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Beth, how nice of you to provide apples for all the critters. I’m glad they left a few for you.

Lisa, I’m guessing all that cat info kept your mind off the restaurant? LOL I’ll admit, I didn’t know all of that.

Karen, I will do the same thing with Halloween candy and buy kinds that I don’t like. Actually candy is not all that big a temptation to me. Now, if we gave out donuts or pastries, that would be another story. smiley-eatdrink024.gif

Heather
    , while reading about the niece and the BD party it occurred to me that she may not even know any of this discussion is going on. What a shame that someone has to complicate things when the plans were going so well. I’m sure the weekend will be a huge success. Thanks for the great picture. Sure with you had a picture of the sloes growing.

Lillian, I’m glad you got to shop at the places DH doesn’t like. Sometimes when my DH is with me and is so good about waiting while I go in a store he has no interest in, I end up feeling too rushed to enjoy myself. No matter how much we love them, there are times that it’s nice to be alone.

Pip, my DH always tells me it will come out sooner or later, one way or another. He’s so encouraging. Hope you have success soon!!!

MNMargaret, I’m so happy that you found this place to give you the support you needed to get through the past year. I just think how easy it would have been for me to never find it and have no idea what the last year would have been like for me. It is a great place full of wonderful women and I’m glad you are part of it. ((((Hugs))))

I had a really hard time with the food diary this morning. It was so slow that I often thought my computer was going to freeze up. It rained so hard all night that I thought maybe the rain had something to do with it, but actually everything else on my computer is working fine. Our forecast is for continued heavy rains through Monday. Each day they seem to extend it for another day. What’s up with that?

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Sylvia I was referring to what the leader of our country said and what I believe was poor choice of words. Rather than saying routine I wish he would have said these events are happening too often. This is a statement we all can agree. I agree with you and think saying prayers for all is appropriate for this thread because these tragedies effect us all.

I think our 'leader' of this great country of ours picks the wrong fights to get involved with and it seems that others try to take our minds away from things they do that, IMHO, are criminal. Others who are getting involved might not necessarily make good leaders; but, they have a least had the courage to say things that most of us needed to hear. For far too long we have tried being so 'politically correct' that we have not kept our country strong and we are leaving our children and theirs a place fraught with problems. I think we must have someone leading this country who has GOOD advisors in all areas and for him/her to actually listen to them and take their advice. It takes a strong; but, calm person to fill that 'big' responsibility. I got an email from a friend of mine about the things that have been done; and I wonder how - since it seems our POTUS plays more than he leads. He thinks that to do nothing is the only way to run this country and all that is getting done is what he said he would do, 'change this great country of ours' and he has been fundamentally doing it bit-by-bit. Yes, I am a conservative Christian and I am 'proud' of it!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of an advanced strength DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss DVD.

Liz - there are a few things that don't freeze well (if you're looking to make something yourself and then freeze it). Potatoes, spaghetti squash, melons.

pip - when I had a hemmerhoidectomy a few years ago, of course they wanted to keep my stool soft while I healed. The doctor recommended that I take some mineral oil. That sure did help.

DJ - you have no idea how happy I am to have the microwave. It's weird how you miss something that you're accustomed to. If I never had one, it probably would have bothered me at all. We're fine, as a matter of fact, it's stopped raining right now. But according to weather.com, more is on the way. At least what's on the ground now has a chance to soak in. By Tuesday they're predicting sunshine

katla - I'm sorry it took an injury for you to come here, but you're doing fantastic now! See, you were concerned about hosting the Mexican Train, and now you're willing to do it again!

Irish Terry - I meant the Celtic Knot Shamrock, but that card is awesome if I didn't say it before. I always keep my container of coupons in my trunk. Like before church tonight I'll get some canned pumpkin that's on sale for $1.79 but I have a 75 cent coupon that they'll double if I buy a can of evaporated milk. I also have another $1.25 coupon off. Don't know if I'll ever need the evaporated milk, but if I don't I can always donate it to the soup kitchen

Went to Hallmark to get ornaments we'd ordered then to Aldi. I actually had to put a jacket on (boo hiss) To my amazement, Vince went into Aldi with me. He usually doesn't like to go food shopping with me since I look at everything. He likes the "goodies (muffins, cookies) section, but we didn't get anything from there.

janetr - is there another pain med that you can take that won't make you nautious? Happy early birthday

Beth - have fun garage saleing. Hope you get lots of good buys

Lisa - that's interesting about the Toxo. My aunt had it, she didn't have any cats when she was little. But she was one of the most conscientious, caring, thoughtful people I've ever known.

Karen from NY - if I were buying the Halloween candy, I'd only get stuff that I don't like. However, Vince buys it but I won't let him buy it until right before Halloween. Having worked for Mars, WalMart is their biggest purchaser, so that's where you'll get the best bargains (unless something is on sale). Grocers can't return holiday candy for credit, so that's why you'll see it on sale 50% off. I usually have a big bowl of air popped popcorn by the table where we have the candy to give out. After Halloween, I usually either take the leftovers to the soup kitchen or have it in Vince's office (out of sight, out of mind)

Alison - I find it so hard to believe you dad testified against you! And that pastor! That's very big of you to have forgiven him

Michele in NC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    MNMargaret – Hugs ! ! !

Grits – what an amazing loss (of course I mean weight) for you . congrats ! ! ! Keep up the good work. So sorry about your classmate. Hugs ! ! !

Allison – I just want to wrap my arms around you and protect you forever, and make all that nasty past go away. You are definitely a bigger person than I to be able to forgive as you have. Please continue to take care of YOU ! ! !
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I emailed your comments on cats to DD who is pregnant with #3 and having a tough time right now. I asked her to follow the links and get back to me with her opinion. She has a cat now, and has had them most of the time over the years that she's been on her own. At least it will get her thinking, if only to tell me that I'm a crackpot. Thanks. :heart:

Karen: I used to be a devoted watcher of the Weather Channel, but haven't been watching for some time now & didn't know about your storm. I hope you stay safe and dry. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I hope DH's party goes well and that "family politics" don't cause any unhappiness for him. On another topic, I have read that a person who studies Latin and one other romance language has an easy time learning all sorts of languages. I took German in highschool and college, but never studied seriously & never took another language. Your photo of the place where you picked sloes is gorgeous. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Sorry about the ineffectiveness of the poop pills. DH has resorted to a product called Fleet once or twice. He uses Safeway brand stool softeners plus a Fleet suppository. If that doesn't work he uses a smaller Fleet saline enema. It gets results for him. :bigsmile: He says the constipation is caused by pain pills. :ohwell:

Last night we had our neighbors over for Mexican Train. I had a wonderful time & I hope they did too. There was plenty of laughter, good conversation and healthy snacks. We provided fresh fruit, veggies & crackers. One couple brought additional fresh fruit.

I'm looking forward to my riding lesson this morning. It is a gorgeous day here and we can see river otters playing at the edges of the docks in front of our house.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    h8x0d9eyr1it.jpg

Rori reminded me of Margaret's great saying so I found this to post

DJ this was inspired by MNMargaret's great quote "Just because you see the hook, you don't have to bite". I searched for the quote on the internet and found the graphic that expanded the idea. The "hook" could be a troublesome person's remarks or could be candy, pastries, peanut butter, or a desire to be lazy.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    The tread that I had started about the calories I burn if I washed my car has gotten a 'lot more positive' ever since I put a couple of them 'in their negative places' (and I flagged them and reported them as making abusive comments). Also a few of them have also 'jumped in' and taken my side because they seemed to understand what I was asking and why. That's why I stay on this thread - everybody here is not a 'fitness buff' and we all have the same sort of goals (to lose weight or at least to maintain it) and we all know the extra battles we have because of age and 'other' issues that might make us binge out because of stress. You all are a bunch of wonderful friends. Love you all! Thanks for the encouragement I am getting - getting closer to my goal and that 'facial' I will get when I reach as an incentive to continue. LOL! I don't set the 'high' goals that some of you do on a daily basis but I do try to exercise at least 20 minutes a day or longer. I'm still sore from washing my car from using muscles I have not used in quite a while obviously; especially the back of my upper legs from doing squats to get to the wheels and lower parts of the car. At least on this site if we need to 'vent and rant' we don't get plastered by somebody else - because I think all of us understand. Love you guys! <3
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!
    Lisa, the crockpot chicken sounds wonderful. Would you mind sharing the recipe with the measurements (only if it tasted as good as it sounded). I love making crockpot dishes because I get so many meals with so little effort.
    Allison, I was reading about how the heat was on in your house and realized I was quite chilly sitting here with 2 sweatshirts on. I looked at the thermostat and saw it was 59F in the room. It was time to turn the heat on. It's so sad that you husband cares more for the dogs than for your comfort. He's an *kitten*.
    Mindy, I can relate to you on so many levels. First, give yourself a big congratulations and pat on the back for walking the dogs when you really didn't want to. I read that post right after I came in from walking my dog in the cold and rain. I really didn't want to, but I did it for both him and me and felt good after. I am so impressed by your walking the Appalachian Trail, especially the whole trail. I am fascinated by people who have done it. My thoughts on the holidays is that you have apparently gone thru a lot of trauma in your life, you've owned it (as they say) and have put on your big girl panties and have decided to make the rest of your life the best it can be. More pats on the back You cannot expect to recreate the wonderful holidays you had as a child, the times and circumstances are different. However, you can create new holiday celebrations that suit your present situation. My advice is to take it slow, just thinking about a holiday dinner this year is a big step, keep it simple and joyful. I can certainly understand why Christmas would be so difficult for you in light of all the losses you suffered disputing that time. Perhaps, if you have healed enough, you can get the family together to honor those family members you lost and celebrate them along with Christmas. I didn't celebrate the holidays for many years for various reasons and I know how difficult it is to function in a world that expects you to be so happy and joyful when you just can't. Do what is right for you at the time.

I sinned at book club last night. The hostess had an incredible salted caramel cake and I couldn't help myself and had 1-1/2 slices. I loved every bite, logged it in and am back on track today.
    The car was fixed, almost $700, but it is now safe and running quite well. Waiting to see if I need to buy a new dryer. It's always something.
    Two of my good friends' have had some serious medical scares in the past few weeks and it made me realize how important my friends are in my life and I shouldn't just assume they will always be here. With that in mind, I invited one of them to go to the movies and a thrift store excursion with me tomorrow. I made a conscious effort to go to a gathering of another group of friends on Thursday night rather than blowing it off because I didn't want to leave the house. I don't want to take my friends for granted, maybe this should be an October goal for me.

Everyone have a great weekend.
    Chris in cold and dreary MA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    DJ- Pellet stove is like a wood stove,but uses compacted sawdust wood made into pellets to burn..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for being so supportive on the party situation. :flowerforyou:

DH made his blackberry cordial this morning with gathered blackberries and it is utterly lovely. Made a mess of my muslin though! :laugh: But I have washed it out.

Stir fry Chinese pork tonight. :D

Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Lenora prayers for all concerning your friend. Sudden death make you realize cannot take people for granted. With suicide it is the illness of depression to blame. All you can do if you suspect this in a person is to encourage them to get the help they need through a doctor or other program that has experience in helping some one with depression.

Chris wonderful goal to reach out more to friends. That is one of my goals, too.

Heather stir fry sounds wonderful. You make such delicious yet healthy foods. YUM!

My DSIL is visiting us this weekend. It is fun to watch how she and DH interact.

On Monday after she leaves I am going to be ready to do a jigsaw puzzle. The darling aunt who just passed away after a hectic experience she would take the time to sit and do a jigsaw puzzle. I told my cousin (her daughter this story) and said it a metaphor that after a hectic experience find that calming activity that works for you. My aunt was a wise woman that called a spade a spade. She learned how to take care of herself early, and she lived her life to the fullest. (A wonderful role model.) At her funeral her neighbor said she wanted to be like Evie when she grew up. A wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady. I feel her wonderful presence in my life.

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I think you are wonderful and am so glad I have gotten to know you. I know it has been a tough year for you and I feel sad for you but also amazed at your strength. Know that you are loved.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy sat,feel lousy
    hugs jane
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:
    spin- 87min, 93r, 132w, 5min @ 13g, 5min @ 12g, 5min @ 11g, repeat, 117ahr, 143mhr
    total cal 981
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, you are such a wonderful and giving person. You would be a role model for any age group of person.

Rori, don't you just want to know what was on the mind of your cat.

Making up a weekly pill keeper and knowing it will stay that way is impossible for Charlie. Yesterday I saw that Charlie's feet and legs are swollen. That really makes me feel bad as a nurse. I saw he was gaining weight and knew he was on a pill that makes you retain sodium and I didn't put 2 and 2 together and look at his feet. Even his arms are a little swollen. So I looked up Florinef side effects and it said swellling is a side effect tthat you call the doctor about immediately. So now the Florinef is to be held the whole weekend. But so far his blood pressure has been good today. He is a mystery. Michelle wants to go out to supper so it will be a test as to how his appetite is when we go out.

Heather, please accept a belated birthday wish.

Joyce, indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather-your picture looked awesome! You looked great! I agree with you about the party and niece situation. The potluck should be sufficient for her and her boyfriend to attend.

MNMargaret - I am so sorry about your aunt, your insight is very correct S to loving and thinking the people that are close to us it mean a lot to us. Thank you for that reminder! And thank you for being here for us!

Allison-you are too kind and loving! Your dad should be grateful that he has you in his life!

Katla- I am glad that your Mexican train party went well! Great choices for snacks. Fresh fruit and veggies is always a good choice.

We are having such a great time with DB and DSnL! Staying up late, talking,a little wine. and Chicken Foot Dominoes! DH grilled steak for Brunch, I made baked Sweet potato wedges and sautéed peppers and onions and toasted wild rice cranberry bread! Mmmmm. Taking a rest before we go to October Fest and watch the Redneck Olympics and participate in the wine and beer tasting contest.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    feelj870wgqi.jpeg
    l1ri17wu6vcw.jpeg
    7jfma595zcxa.jpeg

7 days after operation