WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri - wow that is terrific that you are doing so well in four weeks. I shall strive to do as well. Thanks.

Janetr OKC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! My goodness it's a pretty morning! We just finished breakfast and now I have dishes washing in the d/w, clothes in the dryer, and more waiting to go in. I have a loaf of banana bread in the oven. The kids are coming over today, so I need to go food shopping. I'm planning to make pancakes for supper. They love pancakes. Hubby prefers French toast, so I'll make some of that too. And bacon. Friday I bought a big electric griddle at a garage sale (brand new, in the box, for $5) so it'll be fun to try it out. I know it works though because I already plugged it in.

Gotta get busy! I hope you are all having a great Sunday. Hugs to those in the east who are having flooding.

Sylvia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Sharon ... Hugs. Hope today is a better one for you.

Terri ... I'm not impressed with the early am football.

Becca ... Mushy is good (from the woman who can't watch Folger coffee commercials during the holidays without tearing up)!

Pip and Janetr ... Looks like you're both healing well.

Did ok yesterday with the eating ... Made apple crisp with some of our apples ... A 9x13 pan which is already gone! The guys love it ... Me, not so much. I did eat a lot of sliced apples though ...

More apples to peel today!

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca being mushy: I agree with you about this group of women. It has been a real blessing in my life. :heart: I am so happy for you that your sons will be at home for a visit. My DS is in the army and gone frequently on trips. At the moment, DDIL is working for her mom & staying with her parents in another part of the country. They are making things work. The military life isn't an easy life. On the other hand, who has an easy life? I wish your son and his wife the best. :flowerforyou:

Heather: You seem to have a crystal ball that sees into my heart. I will keep in mind your comment that everything changes. It reminds me of one of my mom's pithy sayings, "This too shall pass." :ohwell: A year ago my kids were arguing over who would have custody of me. DH was facing surgery for spinal stenosis and I was a freaked out mess. As they used to say on Laugh-in, "I'm feeling MUCH better now." :laugh:

Sharon: I read your comment about dropping a dishwasher tablet into the garbage and then trying to turn it on to DH. He had a good chuckle & reminded me about our situation. We have a trash compactor in the kitchen with a foot pedal you step on to open so you can add garbage. We find ourselves stomping on the floor in front of the dishwasher and/or cupboards from time to time to open them. Of course it doesn't work & then we really feel foolish. :noway: :embarassed: I'm glad you are now able to have a closer relationship with your sister. In recent years I've developed a very nice & unexpected friendship with my DSIL. I appreciate it. :flowerforyou:

To those who add a specific goal to lose so many pounds by a certain date: When I started here I was advised by a very wise woman to avoid making goals with deadlines to lose so many pounds by XYZ date. She said that we can control what we put in our mouths but not when the pounds depart. Thanks to her, I've always made goals for things that I can control. The pounds eventually went away, but not at a predictable pace. I was a "Plateau Princess" many times. The pounds didn't go away quickly, but they did go away. Thanks for the wise advice, Barbie! It kept me from becoming discouraged.

We are in dire need of new mattresses. DS and DDIL bought a replacement for theirs a year ago and rave about it. The both of us have been invited to come and test it out tonight and were all set to go until DH remembered we have a door delivery for our deck storage room some time tomorrow. He is determined to be here and wants me to go on my own to test out the mattress. He says he trusts me. I'll confirm with DS that this is an okay plan, but will most likely drive up on my own and brave the hideous Seattle/Tacoma traffic. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

MicheleNC, I’m sure you have seen on the news that Charleston is underwater pretty much now. They (weather ppl) keep saying it’s like a train where each car just keeps going where the one in front of it has gone. Rain, rain, rain. Charleston and Georgetown (Just south of us) have really had the worst. We keep getting rain and have had some flooding but nothing like they have. DH went to the grocery store this morning and when he got home a band of the heavy rain came. He sat in the car for about 10 minutes waiting for it to lighten up and I finally went out with a big umbrella so he could come in. When I tapped on the window, I scared him because he was sitting there taking a nap. Lol

Katla, so sorry your DD is moving away from you but of course they have to do what is best for all concerned. Golly did you score on the horseback riding!!! You must have been in horse heaven.

Heather, so glad you had a good birthday and it sounds like some really nice gifts. I just want to know how the secret got out about your liking chilies? smiley-eatdrink018.gif

Sharon
    , I feel for you and the whole family with all that is going on. Let’s hope you are wrong and things turn out great for DS and “Her”. I know it has to be so upsetting. All we want is for our kids to be happy and healthy.

Irish Terri
    , so happy that you are doing so well this soon after surgery. The body is a miraculous machine, isn’t it? You go girl!!

Lillian
    , if “shoooo” works to get rid of the porcupines then I’d stick with that. Lol Have fun with DGD at the turkey shoot.

Sylvia, it sounds like a full day. Those kids are so lucky to have such a great grandmother!!!! Your DS is pretty lucky too. (((Hugs)))

Beth, some of those Folger’s coffee commercials are tear jerkers. Yum on the apple crisp, but that’s great if you aren’t a fan so you won’t be tempted.

It didn’t’ start really raining hard here until about 9:00 this morning but it lasted for a couple of hours. Most of the heavy rain bands have only been 10 minutes to ½ hour. It is still raining at a moderate rate now. The bad part is that every day the weather people change the event to last for an additional day. I love my DH and our home but sooner or later I will start to get cabin fever. I just feel for all the people in areas that have had flooding in their homes and hope they all have flood insurance, which is doubtful. Thank you all for the well wishes for safety. So far, so good.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Terri - no he's not into American football. Though it is on our tv today. He will be going upstairs to watch Ireland play rugby in a minute.

My email was hacked today and I got an obscene messsge from myself. :noway: Had to change my password and then the email app didn't work properly though the website was fine. Had to uninstall the app and reinstall it. All fine now, but a botherment. :laugh:

We planted this afternoon a pot of red and dark pink cyclamens just outside the French windows. Makes a nice show. Then DH took down the sweet peas. I removed a few caterpillars ftom the broccoli that had somehow got inside the substantial nets we had put up. :sad: I read in the parish magazine that the chairwoman of the gardening club had had her broccoli reduced to bare skeletons, so at least we did ok with our holes. I love harvesting the purple sprouts in the spring, but may have to tie them to something against the winter winds. Soon will be planting garlic and spring bulbs, but we are still enjoying the geraniums and dahlia colour in the pots at the moment. Had to sacrifice a still blooming geranium for the cyclamen. :'(
    Normally I am sowing broad beans at this time of year, but we will be going to the Arctic Circle in early June, so, for this year only, I will sow them in March for a later crop.
    We have had weeks of glorious weather, but that is all change tonight. Rain for several days. The South of France has had 10" of rain and 16 people dead, 3 in an old people's home. The footage of central Nice looked like a river.
    DJ - I hope you escaped any damage. :flowerforyou:

My old school friend, that I go to see in Portsmouth, is now out of her house in Oxford where she has lived for 45 years. Major undertaking. She is temporarily in her one bed flat. Next year she is supposedly moving to York in the north. I think she has been very brave, with a history of marital traumas, severe mental illness, and living alone. 45 years of hoarding junk to get rid of and a whole new life at 66. I am very, very fond of her and proud of her. Sent her a card. :love:

Love to all. Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,681 Member
    Options
    morning peeps, i'll read later
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    i tried to copy a picture from face book, not sure if it got here or not. But it said 'did you know line dancing was started by women waiting to use the bathroom?'

Joyce,

I followed the link and saw the picture and then figured out how to actually post the picture so here it is for everyone to see

pbap5le2f44a.jpg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    t4624.gif This is how I feel about all of you.

c0412.gif Katla, Thank you for your kind words...it is important to me to share the things that others have shared with me.....about your DD daughter moving away, I am reminded that only a year after my only sibling died, I took a job in Okinawa and never even considered how it might affect my still grieving parents. I am sorry about your sadness at your daughter's decision to move far from you.

b0211.gif We have a group of friends coming over this afternoon for a meeting where snacks are usually served. We are going to serve a few things that are foods that we normally eat ourselves so if there are any leftovers, we won't be stuck with food we don't eat.

t111077.gif Reading about all of you with so much rain sounds good to those of us in the west with drought......unfortunately, there's no way to balance the weather so you have less rain and we have more.

t120004.gifhugs from Barbie in too dry NW Washington
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :) Getting some much needed rain this morning and the sky in a lovely shade of grey. Yes, I did say grey. This is such a welcomed change as I'm just not in the mood for another darn hot sunny day. Sending prayers and hugs to all you strong and beautiful ladies.

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    katla49 - LOL - who gets custody of you. My DOS and DDnL next door might be drafted to get custody of me (or my husband, or both) because they live so close to us - next door); but, I might prefer that they change and take turns, so I won't be a burden on them - unless I had to be put in a home somewhere. I can't imagine not seeing my 'baby' and his wife and family except on special holidays; but, I doubt that I'd go there either. My oldest sister was the one to take care of my mother and her finances (first when she was still living at home and then when we put her into an A.L.F. - mainly because she lived much, much closer to her and she could go down 2x a week if needed.

Don't put dish soap in a dishwasher - that is how they show all the bubbles/suds in commercials. It took a long time to clean it up and also had water everywhere in the kitchen. Took me a while before I realized what I did. LOL! Glad husband not home at the time.

I know I am missing a lot; by only reading the 'current page'; but, it would take me a long time to read 3 or 4 pages that are current. Sometimes if it is early in the day I will start on the current date. This thread has gotten so big - I bet it is one of the largest, if not the largest; one thing I CAN say is 'it is the most encouraging'.

We have a 'wonderful' mattress; only thing is the box springs are also deep like the mattress; and of course, in the store they were on a metal frame. My husband had put wooden knobs like go on a fence on our bedframe because we had a 22" skirt (not a normal width); when the mattress and box springs were delivered and set up on the existing bed frame it raised it so high that it takes up stepping up on something to get on it. I use a small foot stool, my husband used the bottom rung of my dressing table stool. I have to remember to wake up and make sure that the stool is still by the bed. I'm sure if we need for it to be lower, we'll have to buy a new frame for the box springs that would be thinner to lower the bed. But, neither one of us can feel if the other gets in or out of the bed or turns over, or having a fitful night. That is nice. It's a Serta pillow top. My son has a bed, not really a waterbed; but, it has a way to adjust each side of the bed; but, I don't think he likes it as much as he likes his wife's bed at her house. To clarify; they live at her house except for during hunting season when they stay out at his place (which is a perk of his job). One day they plan of building a house and renting hers out and still keeping what has become known as their 'lake home'.

I did worry about my (at the time) 36-year-old son not having a good woman in his life. Two years ago, after breaking up with one that we had never met; he met the 'love of his life'. A year later (in October of last year) he proposed to her; and in May of this year they got married (they included her daughter by a previous husband). He took the ring back when they got home from their trip so that he could involve his soon-to-be step-daughter in the proposal. He danced with her at the wedding (I did not see either dances darn it and nobody took any videos or pictures). Later saw a video of his dancing with daughter on top of a table when they went on vacation to the beach. They have gotten him to do things that he would have 'never' done, especially out in public. She'll send me little videos from a site that I think is called 'dubsmash' or something like that. It's little clips of them singing or acting funny and dubbing in their voices to what is being said. They are hysterical.

Years ago, my husband went out to Denver, CO to work a job with the intent of us moving there if it worked out. It snowed from the day he got there until the day he left 30 days later and he made the decision that he was not going to take the job. Hated the snow and it was too far away from the beach for him. We always go to the beach for a long weekend or a week at the time. It took him 2 full days to get out there as well, from where we lived at the time. I'm so happy he did not take it. For so many, many reasons. I did not want to be that far away from my parents or sisters, or even 'his' parents who lived in Jacksonville, FL.

We live about 25 miles from Albany, GA out in the country (in another county) and it is 'just right'. We down-sized when I retired and built a much smaller house. It has 7 rooms of furniture stuffed into it; actually 6 into the equivalent of 5 rooms, not counting the large utility or the bath-and-a-half. DOS and his family live next door; DYS lives 9 hours away in Louisiana with his 'new' family.

Hope that all y'all have had a wonderful weekend!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Our company just left. We had such a good time! Now I have to get back to work painting the trim on the garage.

We are going on vacation to Colorado Friday to visit DH's DD. We bumped into his Exwife yesterday and she said she was leaving Wednesday but was stopping at her boyfriends brother on the way. My DH was outraged because she always seems to be causing trouble. He definitely didn't want to spend our vacation with her there. He called his daughter and she said she wasn't expecting her mother. I would say that her mother will be there according to what she said to us. It is DD birthday that Sunday. She is twisted and has lied about us to get her daughters to alienate DH. One DD doesn't speak to DH. The ex's last husband died December 31 and funeral February. DD posted picture of her and him as profile pic on FB dancing at her wedding. She refused to dance the father daughter dance with DH so he was really hurt. After 2months of seeing that picture he called and told her it bothered him to see it because of that. She said " when you die I'll post one of you. He was shocked and hung up. She texted him back We're Done. And blocked his number and hasn't responded to any form of correspondence even her husband doesn't. The Ex has had a new live in BF since April dated in March. Baffling!

Sorry for the vent felling sad for DH

Have a good day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Happily going to see the Royal Horse Gala with my SIL. Will chat later!
    Mindy from Boston
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a DVD called "yoga for weight loss". Personally, I think they use the term "weight loss" more as a selling tool than anything else. The plan for tomorrow is to do one more segment of the ab DVD that I have, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Joyce - no, that pic from facebook didn't make it here. But it sure sounds adorable. You know, the ONLY place where I've found that the lady's room line is shorter than the men's room is at Daytona Speedway. See, they just recently remodeled the grandstands and I guess to be PC they had to have the same amount of bathrooms for the men as for the women. Well, guess which sex goes to NASCAR races more often? Guess which drink more beer? But in the end...that's good for me

Gloria - yes, put those posts here. I'd be interested to read them.

katla - I'd want to join my daughter in a move if I could. So happy about your horseback riding

Made a golden cake for Vince. I'm not impressed with the recipe. Then I tried this recipe that I had for icing. It's really really hard to get the consistency right. I also made the spinach/cheese stuffing for the mushrooms that I'll take to Mexican Train. Vince won't eat them, but a lot of others will and I don't mind having some for myself.

Becca - I can imagine how thrilled you will be to have your sons all together. I'm sure that's how I'd feel if Bryan ever came to see me. I would be thrilled to death. But I know that's never going to happen. I'm so so happy for you. I'm so happy to have YOU in my life.

Sharon - I'm assuming you've heard of Mexican Train dominoes. Basically, Chicken Foot is when you have a double, it needs to be satisfied three times (versus the one time). That makes a kind-of "foot"

Lillian - I went with Vince one time to the shooting range. It's where you shoot at these paper outlines of a body. I consider myself a total success -- I didn't hit the ceiling and I didn't hit the floor. That was a few years ago.

Chris - I love when I find something that fits met and that I really love at the SA. Or even a nick-nack that I really love. We've been pretty lucky, I don't know about DJ but I've heard that SC has gotten hit pretty hard. We're cold and a little misty -- but that's all. I did have to pull out the blanket last night (boo) and we had to turn on the heat (double boo)

Lenora - loved reading about your son

Mary from MN - (((HUGS)))). I feel your pain.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    finally sitting down..
    today has been a good day and a bad day... good day as I spent it going with my dad to his church only about 13 people there today including me, the old crew, as in one couple and the pastors wife were happy to see me..didnt talk to the pastor as I told you the story about him..
    lucky I brought the cake as that was the only dessert there.. and we all sang happy birthday,and my dad so enjoyed the cookies and date nut bread i made him, I know I made his day..
    on the other hand im in the dog house with the old man, he says I am a busy body and always sticking my nose where it doesnt belong...
    he got ticked at me at the nursing home because I went and told the nurse that one of the residents needs to be fed,they were understaffed today and if you dont feed this woman she wont eat.. so Tom barks something at me and storms out, upsetting his father and me..
    drive home in silence, and then I get ready and go up to my dads,
    come home and he is still woofing at me, today he washed the windows,he went into my bedroom,which I havent been using, we have stored stuff in there when we did the living rooms floors ,and I have some other junk in there I havent done a huge cleaning in my room as of late because we have been busy with other stuff.
    so he says well I am not going to spend the next 20 years like this, saying im a busy body,Im in other peoples business and im a slob...
    he knows how to push buttons, asked if he was done, calmy told him ok, what if that lady was your mother and she didnt get fed, then what? and told him you didnt marry JUNE Cleaver get over it.. and left, put the 85.00 sheets on the bed and finished making his dinner. I told him , he doesnt want to spend the rest of his life with me thats his choice. . he is back off to Lowes because he got a can or spackle paint for the basement ceiling that was defective..
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    After 6 games his score is 1176. Now to wait until everyone is computed to see if it's enough for the stepladder. My bad news is I ate 4 deep fried mushrooms. 27bkq2gq47w5.jpg
    Update: the cut was -13 so he finished in 9th place and we head home
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

DJ - I've been worried about you! I have a friend in Lugoff, SC and they are cut off because all of the roads leading in or out of town are flooded or washed away. There's been a huge cell of rain over them since last night. Downtown Columbia is flooded, too.

I had a migraine Friday and part of yesterday. I stayed in bed and listened to the rain. Even though I had such a bad headache, it was awesome to just rest for a couple of days.

At church this morning, it was announced about the Doctors Without Borders bombing. My gynecologist that I spent more than 25 years with is with DWB, and I keep looking for name releases to see if he was there. I really, really hope not!

I just read through 187 posts so I don't remember many specifics, but I rejoiced and/or mourned with each of you as I read.

I'm going to read some more. I still feel washed out and tired.

Carol in NC
  • CLEatMoulton
    CLEatMoulton Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,I just joined fitness pal last week.I want to introduce myself. I am 64 years old. If I can help anyone let me know. I am a good listener. Thanks for all you do,
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,681 Member
    Options
    stats for the day -
    spin- 55min 91ar 102aw, 10min @10g, 10min @11g, 10min @12g, repeat, 130ahr, 155mhr, 24.7mi = 406c
    rowing machine - right hand only, 10min, 39aw, 128ahr, 161mhr, 1465meters = 141c
    total cal 547
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lovely, chilly day in ny, did a lot of cleanup that i have been promising myself i would get to. Fringe benefit of taking better care of myself, more energy to do things i have been putting off! This is going to be a busy week, I will keep up with reading posts 'cause it is so supportive here, but won't have time to post. Thinking of all of you in your daily trials and nsv's. Karen from NY [b