Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Take it up with the Mayo Clinic.

""if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. " "

The label doesn't say just hydrogenated. It says fully hydrogenated. That's the distinction the article makes. Did you even read it?

"It sounds counterintuitive, but "fully" or "completely" hydrogenated oil doesn't contain trans fat. Unlike partially hydrogenated oil, the process used to make fully or completely hydrogenated oil doesn't result in trans-fatty acids. However, if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat."

"What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word." Do even realize what you wrote??

Im done here. Later tater.

Hydrogenated isn't a scary word. "Partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" by itself is scary because it means trans fat. "Fully hydrogenated" is fine.

Context matters. Hydrogenated doesn't mean bad.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm

"No Trans Fats in Peanut Butter--Contrary to Current Rumor

Recurring rumors that commercial peanut butters contain trans fats--which appear to increase risk of cardiovascular disease--have no basis in fact, according to an Agricultural Research Service study.

The rumors no doubt started because small amounts of hydrogenated vegetable oils are added to commercial peanut butters--at 1 to 2 percent of total weight--to prevent the peanut oil from separating out. And the hydrogenation process can generate the formation of trans fatty acids in oils, according to Timothy H. Sanders, who leads research at ARS’ Market Quality and Handling Research Unit at Raleigh, N.C.

To see if the rumors had any validity, Sanders prepared 11 brands of peanut butter, including major store brands and “natural” brands, for analysis by a commercial laboratory. He also sent paste freshly prepared from roasted peanuts for comparison. The laboratory found no detectable trans fats in any of the samples, with a detection limit of 0.01 percent of the sample weight.

That means that a 32-gram serving of any of the 11 brands could contain from zero to a little over three-thousandths (0.0032) of a gram of trans fats without being detected. While current regulations don’t require food labels to disclose trans fat levels, they do require disclosure of saturated fat levels at or above five-tenths (0.5) of a gram. For comparison, that’s 156 times higher than this study’s detection limit for trans fats."
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The amount of protein you would get is negligible (quoting a nutritionist)
    I have tried the powdered peanut butter you get the protein with out the unhealthy oils and sugar

it takes getting used to but it is good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

I think "no bueno is a fair term to use & hydrogenated is a scary word.

Per Mayo Clinic

"Scientists aren't sure exactly why, but the addition of hydrogen to oil increases your cholesterol more than do other types of fats. It's thought that adding hydrogen to oil makes the oil more difficult to digest, and your body recognizes trans fats as saturated fats."

"in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits. "

"if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. "

"tropical oils — coconut, palm kernel and palm oils — contain a lot of saturated fat. Saturated fat raises your LDL cholesterol. "

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

It's not a good thing to eat something we arent sure just what it is or how it's been manipulated.

Im think sticking to basic foods with less ingredients is a good habit to adopt.

I'm curious. Why did you cut out the paragraph in the Mayo Clinic article that states that "fully hydrogenated" oils (such as listed in the above ingredients) does not contain trans fatty acids?

Stop trying split hairs. You should focus on the article I posted and draw your own conclusions. What I chose to cut or include has nothing to do with the facts that I did post.

My conclusion is that hydrogenated oil in either form is a bad thing; but you eat all of it you want.

Your post specifically said that the posted ingredients were bad, or that "no bueno is a fair term to use ", but then you purposely omitted the part of an article that showed that the ingredients were, in fact, not bad. That's not splitting hairs. That's you giving misleading information and me asking why you did it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    for the record guys, no bueno means no good. not "will kill you", not "deadly", just not good.

and peanut butter with a million additives is much less bueno than peanut butter made from just peanuts, regardless of hydrogenation
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    for the record guys, no bueno means no good. not "will kill you", not "deadly", just not good.

and peanut butter with a million additives is much less bueno than peanut butter made from just peanuts, regardless of hydrogenation

I'm not sure what makes a fraction of a gram of rapeseed and soybean oil "not good."

Your backtracking is funny though.

You initially said:
    ONLY if it does not contain partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

if not, you're good. if yes, throw it away.

Then someone posted the list of ingredients in their Jif that contains fully hydrogenated oils. This was "not good."

Now you're saying it's not good because it has "a million" (actually six) ingredients. So I guess it has nothing to do with the oils.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

Per Mayo Clinic

"Scientists aren't sure exactly why, but the addition of hydrogen to oil increases your cholesterol more than do other types of fats. It's thought that adding hydrogen to oil makes the oil more difficult to digest, and your body recognizes trans fats as saturated fats."

"in the United States if a food has less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, the food label can read 0 grams trans fat. Though that's a small amount of trans fat, if you eat multiple servings of foods with less than 0.5 grams of trans fat, you could exceed recommended limits. "

"if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat. "

"tropical oils — coconut, palm kernel and palm oils — contain a lot of saturated fat. Saturated fat raises your LDL cholesterol. "

It's not a good thing to eat something we arent sure just what it is or how it's been manipulated.

Im think sticking to basic foods with less ingredients is a good habit to adopt.

I'm curious. Why did you cut out the paragraph in the Mayo Clinic article that states that "fully hydrogenated" oils (such as listed in the above ingredients) does not contain trans fatty acids?

Stop trying split hairs. You should focus on the article I posted and draw your own conclusions. What I chose to cut or include has nothing to do with the facts that I did post.

My conclusion is that hydrogenated oil in either form is a bad thing; but you eat all of it you want.
    You deleted the part of the article that supports Jonny's argument and kills your own, then get annoyed when he points that out? Ignoring or deleting something doesn't make it not exist.
  • rml_16
    Options

No bueno is not the same as less bueno.

WORDS MEAN THINGS!!!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

WORDS MEAN THINGS!!!
    i stand by no bueno
  • rml_16
    Options

WORDS MEAN THINGS!!!
    i stand by no bueno

That's fine. But then stop insisting it doesn'y mean what it says. You said it. Own it.
  • KChesneyGal
    KChesneyGal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

jif's all natural peanut butter has not FHVO in it, just peanuts, sugar, palm oil and contains 2% or less of salt and molasses
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just eat the peanut butter. If you are short on cash, free peanut butter is a great way to get some protein and up your calories. If you are worried about some of the fat, you can pour off some of the oil before you stir. I would rather eat less than perfect peanut butter than hit up the $ menu at a fast food joint.

However, If you are looking to add in some healthy fats for cholesterol reasons, I would look for anything with Omega 3s.
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I get my peanut butter from Winco. Back in the bulk. Box full of just peanuts. Push a button and out comes peanut butter. Cheap, delcious, no fake crap in it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP I think this answers your question... Peanut butter is not considered a fat, just like an olive isn't considered a fat - but the extracted oils from the nut or olive would be a fat. Not sure why you're trying to get specifically 2 Tbsp of fat in a day but there are plenty of other healthy sources within the foods you eat. Eggs, nuts, seeds, avocado, certain fishes, even beef are all good healthy sources of dietary fat.

Here's a litle comparison of general nutrition info:

PB: 2 Tbsp (32g)
    Fat - 16g

Olive oil: 2 Tbsp (28g)
    Fat - 28g

Therefore in order to get about the same amount of fat you would from eating 2 Tbsp of olive oil, if my math is right, you'd have to eat about 3.5 Tbsp of Peanut butter (28g / 16g x 2)? Not sure if that's correct...just a shot in the dark.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP I think this answers your question... Peanut butter is not considered a fat, just like an olive isn't considered a fat - but the extracted oils from the nut or olive would be a fat. Not sure why you're trying to get specifically 2 Tbsp of fat in a day but there are plenty of other healthy sources within the foods you eat. Eggs, nuts, seeds, avocado, certain fishes, even beef are all good healthy sources of dietary fat.

Fat - 16g

Fat - 28g

Therefore in order to get about the same amount of fat you would from eating 2 Tbsp of olive oil, if my math is right, you'd have to eat about 3.5 Tbsp of Peanut butter (28g / 16g x 2)? Not sure if that's correct...just a shot in the dark.

With the way this thread has gone, I am TOTALLY lost at this point! Maybe I should just get some omega 3 tablets and call it a day. LOL
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

WORDS MEAN THINGS!!!
    i stand by no bueno

Although I agree with your sentiments that Joe Public is an absolute MORON when it comes to food choices, how does squabbling over a seamingly insignificant additive that makes an otherwise HEALTY choice a LOT easier for most in the public to enjoy getting us anywhere?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

Per Mayo Clinic

There ya go cherry-picking the facts again. You do know that harms your credibility, right?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Fat - 16g

Fat - 28g

With the way this thread has gone, I am TOTALLY lost at this point! Maybe I should just get some omega 3 tablets and call it a day. LOL

Just eat the peanut butter. Your ingredient list of your peanut butter didn't even include the single item that they are fighting over.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Nope. Hydrogenation doesn't imply full hydrogenation.

Ask a chemist.

this is where the troll label comes in. you split hairs to an absurd extent.

I don't think it is that absurd. When the food labels label something as partially hydrogenated it let's you know that you still aren't dealing with a saturated fat at the end of the process. I think his argument is making things clearer for the non-food label reading public.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do love peanut butter but choice limited in uk. I tried and liked jif in America and you can buy it here now.

Don't tell me it's gonna kill me... I've got 4 jars left!!

Lol

????????????????????

I'm also in the UK and I buy 'Meridian' brand - it's 100% peanuts! I buy it in my local independent greengrocer, but you can also order it from Amazon.