Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options
123457»

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's not a ad fat, but Peanut butter in itself is unhealthy overall as peanuts cause inflammation and all types of allergy responses in the body (yes even in us wo are not allergic)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It's not a ad fat, but Peanut butter in itself is unhealthy overall as peanuts cause inflammation and all types of allergy responses in the body (yes even in us wo are not allergic)

Let me guess, you're paleo?
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No, I'm anti paleo
    I'm iifym
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    No, I'm anti paleo
    I'm iifym

Peanut butter has a GI index of 0 and is mildly anti-inflammatory. I guessed Paleo because they think that legumes are all bad for you.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4453/2
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

As with anything, the amount eaten and total diet would matter, but in general peanuts are anti-infalmmatory.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Orly-factor.jpg
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    They are technically legumes although their nutrient composition is similar to tree nuts
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Load of rubbish.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

i'll agree that other nut butters are better options than even peanut butter made from just peanuts, but in the scheme of things, peanut butter won't kill you. are they mildly inflammatory? yeah, but so are most foods that aren't veggies and fruits
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    jonnythan = troll

/ignore

This is beyond disrespectful and one of several reasons I'm quickly losing respect for the clean eating crowd on MFP. Hijacking success stories of IIFYM eaters is another. Someone refuting your beliefs with science doesn't make them a troll. Food =/= religion.

Thus implying you in fact had respect for the clean eating crowd on MFP at one point.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

Oh no! We're both gonna DIE. (as she eats another spoonful of JIF)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 tablespoons of NATURAL jif...

now all you can argue about is the health of palm oil, sugar, molasses and salt. Basically you're talking an extra 0.25-0.5g of saturated fat and half a gram of sugar per serving vs. the kind that doesn't spread very easily unless it's stirred on demand or dries out in the fridge.

I actually covered a dark chocolate bar with it, so I wasn't all that concerned about saturated fats there...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Dear MFP programmers, do you remember that episode of TNG where Moriarty was trying to escape the holodeck so he could commit evil on the real world, but they tricked him into entering another holographic universe but had it set up so that he'd believe he was now in the real universe and he'd be happy to be a menace to an imaginary world while everyone in reality was actually safe from his shenanigans?
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a peanut butter war! It was just a simple question. :sad:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a peanut butter war! It was just a simple question. :sad:

Short answer is YES in any variety YOU like.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes, I understand and feel bad that it has gotten so confusing for you. Eat your peanut butter.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

There are no simple questions on MFP. Diets are defended with the same ferocity of a mother lion when a cub is in danger.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not a bad fat ... peanuts have lots to recommend them unless you have a peanut allergy.

Consume in moderation (lol)

I posted this pb recipe earlier today ... moderation is a challenge now :p

Chocolate chilli crunchy peanut butter: http://www.facebook.com/ChocolateChilliMango/posts/618201028204629
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I get my peanut butter from Winco. Back in the bulk. Box full of just peanuts. Push a button and out comes peanut butter. Cheap, delcious, no fake crap in it.

That actually sounds amazing! So I can alternate snacking on crunchy peanuts / getting peanut butter?
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ah my peanut butter contains vegetable oil . I always thought it was healthy gonna have to buy one in the health food shop.