when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options

Replies

• amyb12015
    amyb12015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it's because some guys prefer big buts in women and some girls tend to feel insecure if they don't have a nice butt. Like I always see posts about smaking the booty and how it looks good turning bed stuff so honestly it's sometimes frm the guys point of view that making girls want big butts to please their man and so on.

never seen girls worry bout it till now...
    Hope this helps!!
  • amyb12015
    amyb12015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Like u can see some guys thinking about how buts are nice and etcc
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I love how you put it in such polite terms, "inelegant" :lol: I bet there are other words you'd like to use :wink:

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    amyb12015 wrote: »
    I honestly think it's because some guys prefer big buts in women and some girls tend to feel insecure if they don't have a nice butt. Like I always see posts about smaking the booty and how it looks good turning bed stuff so honestly it's sometimes frm the guys point of view that making girls want big butts to please their man and so on.

Hope this helps!!

I've never seen these posts. Are they on MFP?
  • Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Butt jobs are becoming just as common as boob jobs. In LA at least.
  • Jane_England
    Jane_England Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've always had a bubble butt and in fact people made fun of it when I was growing up. Then butts became the cool thing to have and everyone was trying to get one. I don't think my butt will ever go away but at least doing squats and deadlifts made it firmer.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!!

Only on the ancient Greek language part of the site.... all those poems about the Venus Callipyge.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like big butts. I have no chest and enjoy the fact that there is at least a 10 inch difference in my waist to hip ratio. And when I bulk I will hip thrust until it's a thing of beauty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!!

There is a real dearth of booty smacking posts on MFP.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't have a "bubble butt" but I am wide there. All I want is a "thigh gap"!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For me, my "booty obsession" started when I wanted to build up my very flat behind. After lots of work, my current booty is bigger.. but not super large. It is very shapely, strong and proportionate to my body. But I'll admit, I would love if it could be a bit larger. I will keep trying, but I am realistic... genetics may not be on my side ! :/
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ignore the unsolicited advice you've decided to bequeath upon us ladies, we're just so grateful to hear your views on how elegant our physiques are or aren't.

My guess is that the current obsession is big butts is multifaceted and depends how deep you want to dig into gender, race, fashion and culture.

There has always been an 'ideal' physique in women - tiny waists (corsets!) in Victorian times, Twiggy was the It Girl in the 1960s, tall and Amazonian in the 80s, the waif look of the 90s, low rise jeans and defined abs in the early 2000s, and right now it's all about hourglass shapes with exaggerated hip to waist ratio. There's always something that we're all meant to aspire to. Currently we're meant to be slender enough to have a thigh gap but still have a booty....sure, that's realistic. Fitspo and instagram fit models are everywhere, reinforcing the slim with a booty ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0zJZu0a4
    Buzzfeed did a cool video on this.
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

If you look back further than 20 years you'd probably find that curves and butts have been popular for a long time. Check out paintings from the Renaissance. Curves were indicative of fertility, health and enough wealth to feed yourself properly. From the early 20th century, the ideal form started to become more slender. Women stopped wearing corsets routinely - metal was required for war production, it became more socially acceptable for women to be physically active. Fashions changed along with this, think about the difference between Victorian era clothing and the flapper dresses of the 1920s.

Then there are people who suggest that the obsession with big butts are an example of a feature which is generally associated with black women but has only became fashionable once appropriated by white culture. See also: baby hairs, twerking, 'ghetto'/rap style, bantu knots etc. Here are articles discussing that aspect. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/23/why-black-bum-only-good-white-skin-cultural-appropriation
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/13/why-are-people-suddenly-so-concerned-about-hijacking-black-culture.html
    http://www.beautyredefined.net/beauty-whitewashed-how-white-ideals-exclude-women-of-color/

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

In summary, if you're not a fan of big butts you will probably only need to wait 5-10 years and there'll be another idealized physique.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

My advice to you, stop giving unsolicited advice to women about their personal physique desires. But thanks for randomly telling the forums what your personal preference is for women's backsides.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sir Mix A Lot first had the song I like big butts.

It is sort of a cultural thing though. A lot of men of color have always preferred or liked big butts. However, for the women that get the surgery to enhance their butts, I think it often does not look real or cute. But a woman that naturally has a bigger butt...I don't think there is anything "inelegant" about it. It's how us big booty girls were made.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson

You mean caucasian women
    and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

I don't know what "disproportionately large" means to you
    Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look,

who cares
    it just seems a bit inelegant to me,

who cares
    Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique.

I don't know what "elegant" means to you, except maybe "more caucasian-looking"
    My advice to any woman

who cares
    is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine -

lost in my lack of caring about the rest of what you have to say
    after that learn to accept yourself and be proud.

Oh gee awesome THANK YOU SO MUCH that would not have occurred to me if you hadn't suggested it

RIGHT AFTER you told us what you thought was NOT OK
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It's cultural. As Latin Americans have more and more influence on the larger culture in the United States, beauty standards have shifted. This has always been a thing in populations with African diaspora. It is most obvious is in Brazil and the Caribbean--Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.

US media is global and influences popular culture worldwide. I'm sure that you Brits have been subjected to the Kardashians, for example.

Whites will be a minority here in a couple of decades, so expect the images that you see to keep changing. I'm sure that demographics are shifting in Europe as well.

OP, why would anybody care about your particular, personal tastes? Making recommendations about what all women "should" look like or do based and what you like is beyond ridiculous. I certainly remember 6-packs being a thing in the early 80...that is not a new standard of male attractiveness at all.

What's truly sad is when people have hearts and minds that are disproportionately small.

• tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    TO MAKE DAT BOOTY CLAP DOH
    lol

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

My advice to you, stop giving unsolicited advice to women about their personal physique desires. But thanks for randomly telling the forums what your personal preference is for women's backsides.

Co-signed.

I also love how Pamela Anderson was mentioned when she's actually known for her disproportionately large boobs. Also, a large butt does not mean a woman does not have a healthy BF%. Serena Williams is a friggin goddess with a beautiful backside and she's got an athletic BF%.

emhunter wrote: »
    Sir Mix A Lot first had the song I like big butts.

It is sort of a cultural thing though. A lot of men of color have always preferred or liked big butts. However the women that get the surgery, I think it does not look real or cute. But a woman that naturally has a bigger butt...I don't think there is anything "inelegant" about it. It's how us big booty girls were made.

Thank you. I'm multiracial, but white passing. I've always had a more "mature" body as I was growing up. Men sexualized me before I even knew what sex was. At the same time, society shamed me into hating my hips, my butt, my curly hair, and many other parts of me. Being that I'm white passing, I've had the privilege of growing up not having my looks scrutinized even half as badly as other women of color. Personally I'm glad that other body types are being embraced, even if it means I have to see really poorly done fake *kitten* out there.

Women come in all sizes and shapes. The women you've mentioned, aside from Pamela Anderson, aspire to very Hollywood cookie cutter proportions due to a ridiculous standard of beauty which is modeled on the average European white woman. Eva Longoria is a Latina who happens to fit that standard of beauty, so you deem her "elegant".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    DUDE! Seriously???
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @tomatoey wow! Lol. That's all I can say. I don't want to be warned by moderators!