when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I fully support any woman who wants to be inelegant in this way. Elegance is overrated anyway :tongue:

:D
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

who doesnt love a nice bit of mansplaining

i *kitten* hate that made up word. it does nothing but set feminism back.

Well if it makes you feel any better I have personally coined the term "femsplaining" and will totally start lecturing a dude about his prostate if he ever tries to tell me that my cramps aren't "all that bad".
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What a weird thing to get mad about.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    6aum1yn77992.gif
    DgD.gif 946.6K
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    c10.jpg
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Inelegant? Really? Well then, I love being inelegant.

It's one thing to have a personal preference, but to down a person based off their natural body type? That's just cruel. It tells a lot about your character.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    Sure they had photoshop in the 50's duh! What was I thinking? No six packs before the 90's.
    w68uk7rx1afb.jpg
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Sure they had photoshop in the 50's duh! What was I thinking? No six packs before the 90's.
    edited
    Did someone say "dynamic tension"?
    RockyHorror.jpg
    Must be hard work!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

who doesnt love a nice bit of mansplaining

i *kitten* hate that made up word. it does nothing but set feminism back.

which word do you prefer?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Okay, this has kind of gone off topic, and I'm horrified that this thread has started taking a racial tone.

I've already received 6 flags from people for my initial post apparently being abusive. I don't see how politely stating a personal preference in an example (a preference that is opposed to the popular norm of bigger is better) can be seen as abusive, but never mind.

Thanks to all those who gave a reasoned answer - I think the point about social trends constantly evolving and repeating is a great one.

You were actually kinda clueless that you never noticed the racial differences in this, so don't be horrified, lol. It's not a new thing. It's a very old thing. But if it's new in the mainstream US because of rappers and Jlo and Latina actresses, that's just because we are picking up from the cultures that have always been here. It took us long enough!
    senecarr wrote: »
    thanks guys, gotta say though, I was hoping for more of a socio-anthropological analysis in the anwers :)

Which one, sociological, or anthropological?
    If you're looking for a made up evo-psych reason, go ahead and make up your own, it will probably as valid as the average evo-psych argument.

More on the sociological side? Simple, women's fashion will always change in an never ending treadmill to force women to feel insecure in their bodies, and drive them towards doing things that represent their willingness to endure discomfort as a way of pleasing cis-het men's expectations. Squat-butts represent this trend very well in requiring yet even harder requirements than other things - a woman will have to butt in a fair length of time at the gym or need surgery if she isn't born with the attributes desired. It even gives society an added ability to spurn a woman as having failed to have that kind of butt for her own faults and lack of dedication because media perpetuates that any woman can get a butt with enough work and exercise - something hard to try to make women feel bad about with something like breasts that can't be altered much by exercise. So now not only can women be made to feel bad about their appearance, they can be made to feel bad about not doing something about it.

Is that what kind of explanation you wanted?

Funny :) But no. Women of other shapes have been told their butts were too big for so long that this can't represent something something added to spurn women. Unless you break down which women, of course. It's just a blending of cultures, imho.

White women can naturally have a big booty, too, before anyone gets upset that I'm leaving us out. In fact, I used to feel very bad back in the 80's, because my butt had obvious cheeks and the video and print girls' never did back then. OTOH, guys at school especially liked my booty, so real life didn't fit video ideals anyway!

They never had side ab lines in those girls back then, either. I can't believe I spent my youth thinking I was so abnormal with my extra lines and cheeks, lol! It's awful. Now our teeny-butt girls are going to go through the same thing, darnit.

(For an example of the butts back in the 80's, check out Billy Idol's 'Eyes Without a Face' video. You couldn't even tell front from back, really.)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Thank you. I'm multiracial, but white passing. I've always had a more "mature" body as I was growing up. Men sexualized me before I even knew what sex was. At the same time, society shamed me into hating my hips, my butt, my curly hair, and many other parts of me. Being that I'm white passing, I've had the privilege of growing up not having my looks scrutinized even half as badly as other women of color. Personally I'm glad that other body types are being embraced, even if it means I have to see really poorly done fake *kitten* out there.

I just want to say that I relate to this experience a lot. I realize now that, as a child, a lot of the criticism that I faced about my body was because I wasn't quite passing well enough. People in my family didn't want to give the impression that we were anything but white and people outside of my family weren't quite sure which box to put me in.

I'm glad that things are a bit more open now and that there are more multi-racial and multi-ethnic people who growing up in a more accepting environment. The OP is thinking about beauty in such an outmoded and outdated way. It's old-fashioned, and frankly, sad.

~light-skinned Latina with a fabulously inelegant *kitten*
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    My advice to you is stop staring at women's butts so much.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well as a woman I know my worth is tied to what men think of my body rather than my sparkling wit, intelligence or personal and professional accomplishments. Therefore I am quite happy big butts are fashionable because I can achieve that with strength training and diet, unlike big boobs which could only be mine with surgery. Beats starving myself into irrelevance like during the 1980s and 90s.
  • lauli22
    lauli22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I reckon is all about vogue. Now females ask for it because is the trend, in the 90s they wanted backcombed hair, in the 60s extra colored outfits, in the 50s Marilyn curves, in the 20s the right to vote (oh so annoying these women) . If you receive some visual messages of female celebrities with big boots then you slowly grow the desire to imitate them in order to be accepted socially. Then there is always part of the population that is advantaged by trends because it naturally has that x characteristic. Is the same for men; imitating haircuts or even wanting their eyebrows to be done (straight, bi, homo, doesn't count anymore, see ronaldo perfect look, I seriously want his beautiful mobile n) or for the fashion industry. Human brains are easily manipulated by outer inputs.
    In the specific case, I don't know any girl that wants a bigger bottom, maybe a firmer one... so the question should be related to some numbers and percentages... all this women asking for big inelegant (you are so soft) side "b" maybe are not that many! God save tiny girls! Ad maiora :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Okay, this has kind of gone off topic, and I'm horrified that this thread has started taking a racial tone.

I've already received 6 flags from people for my initial post apparently being abusive. I don't see how politely stating a personal preference in an example (a preference that is opposed to the popular norm of bigger is better) can be seen as abusive, but never mind.

Thanks to all those who gave a reasoned answer - I think the point about social trends constantly evolving and repeating is a great one.

You were actually kinda clueless that you never noticed the racial differences in this, so don't be horrified, lol. It's not a new thing. It's a very old thing. But if it's new in the mainstream US because of rappers and Jlo and Latina actresses, that's just because we are picking up from the cultures that have always been here. It took us long enough!
    senecarr wrote: »
    thanks guys, gotta say though, I was hoping for more of a socio-anthropological analysis in the anwers :)

Which one, sociological, or anthropological?
    If you're looking for a made up evo-psych reason, go ahead and make up your own, it will probably as valid as the average evo-psych argument.

More on the sociological side? Simple, women's fashion will always change in an never ending treadmill to force women to feel insecure in their bodies, and drive them towards doing things that represent their willingness to endure discomfort as a way of pleasing cis-het men's expectations. Squat-butts represent this trend very well in requiring yet even harder requirements than other things - a woman will have to butt in a fair length of time at the gym or need surgery if she isn't born with the attributes desired. It even gives society an added ability to spurn a woman as having failed to have that kind of butt for her own faults and lack of dedication because media perpetuates that any woman can get a butt with enough work and exercise - something hard to try to make women feel bad about with something like breasts that can't be altered much by exercise. So now not only can women be made to feel bad about their appearance, they can be made to feel bad about not doing something about it.

Is that what kind of explanation you wanted?

Funny :) But no. Women of other shapes have been told their butts were too big for so long that this can't represent something something added to spurn women. Unless you break down which women, of course. It's just a blending of cultures, imho.

White women can naturally have a big booty, too, before anyone gets upset that I'm leaving us out. In fact, I used to feel very bad back in the 80's, because my butt had obvious cheeks and the video and print girls' never did back then. OTOH, guys at school especially liked my booty, so real life didn't fit video ideals anyway!

They never had side ab lines in those girls back then, either. I can't believe I spent my youth thinking I was so abnormal with my extra lines and cheeks, lol! It's awful. Now our teeny-butt girls are going to go through the same thing, darnit.

(For an example of the butts back in the 80's, check out Billy Idol's 'Eyes Without a Face' video. You couldn't even tell front from back, really.)

To me, the ideas of fashion are usually going to be aimed at presenting what becomes hard to attain. In the eras when human starvation was common, having a certain amount of girth was desirable. As food has become plentiful and maintaining a low body weight becomes hard, that has become desirable. Being able to stay thin represents in part the classism of conspicuous consumption in having the time to plan meals, use time on exercise, and having acess to nutritional education.
    I don't see large bottoms being about multi-culturalism because the ideals included with still tend to be about having "an itty bitty waist, but round thing in your face" to quote Sir Mix-A-Lot. Having both aspects at once represents something hard to obtain.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Too much attention on your butt. There's a way to fix that.
    DwqyG5f.gif
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ignore the unsolicited advice you've decided to bequeath upon us ladies, we're just so grateful to hear your views on how elegant our physiques are or aren't.

My guess is that the current obsession is big butts is multifaceted and depends how deep you want to dig into gender, race, fashion and culture.

There has always been an 'ideal' physique in women - tiny waists (corsets!) in Victorian times, Twiggy was the It Girl in the 1960s, tall and Amazonian in the 80s, the waif look of the 90s, low rise jeans and defined abs in the early 2000s, and right now it's all about hourglass shapes with exaggerated hip to waist ratio. There's always something that we're all meant to aspire to. Currently we're meant to be slender enough to have a thigh gap but still have a booty....sure, that's realistic. Fitspo and instagram fit models are everywhere, reinforcing the slim with a booty ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp0zJZu0a4
    Buzzfeed did a cool video on this.
    I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

If you look back further than 20 years you'd probably find that curves and butts have been popular for a long time. Check out paintings from the Renaissance. Curves were indicative of fertility, health and enough wealth to feed yourself properly. From the early 20th century, the ideal form started to become more slender. Women stopped wearing corsets routinely - metal was required for war production, it became more socially acceptable for women to be physically active. Fashions changed along with this, think about the difference between Victorian era clothing and the flapper dresses of the 1920s.

Then there are people who suggest that the obsession with big butts are an example of a feature which is generally associated with black women but has only became fashionable once appropriated by white culture. See also: baby hairs, twerking, 'ghetto'/rap style, bantu knots etc. Here are articles discussing that aspect. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/23/why-black-bum-only-good-white-skin-cultural-appropriation
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/13/why-are-people-suddenly-so-concerned-about-hijacking-black-culture.html
    http://www.beautyredefined.net/beauty-whitewashed-how-white-ideals-exclude-women-of-color/

In summary, if you're not a fan of big butts you will probably only need to wait 5-10 years and there'll be another idealized physique.

Awesome post. thank you.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Idk jeans are hell for women with big butts lol speaking from my experience. I always hated my large butt and when I was 40 pounds over wieght I felt huge haha sooo I appreciate the big butt song lol
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    edited
    Did someone say "dynamic tension"?
    RockyHorror.jpg
    Must be hard work!

He's been neglecting his quads :#
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Astonishing amount of negativity for someone having suggested we accept ourselves as we are. And here I've been naively thinking that self-acceptance is a cornerstone of physical and mental well-being.
    My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud.
    Thank you for that. I think far, far too few people embrace that philosophy.