when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hey man, I got a big 'ol booty. Just in my genetics! I could probably strengthen it, for sure, but lazy
  • CaliDollFace
    CaliDollFace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This thread topic is inelegant.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    It's cultural. As Latin Americans have more and more influence on the larger culture in the United States, beauty standards have shifted. This has always been a thing in populations with African diaspora. It is most obvious is in Brazil and the Caribbean--Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.

US media is global and influences popular culture worldwide. I'm sure that you Brits have been subjected to the Kardashians, for example.

Whites will be a minority here in a couple of decades, so expect the images that you see to keep changing. I'm sure that demographics are shifting in Europe as well.

OP, why would anybody care about your particular, personal tastes? Making recommendations about what all women "should" look like or do based and what you like is beyond ridiculous. I certainly remember 6-packs being a thing in the early 80...that is not a new standard of male attractiveness at all.

What's truly sad is when people have hearts and minds that are disproportionately small.

I know you said populations of African diaspora, but I just wanted to point out to readers that a big butt is a trait very common for black women. Not just Latin America. African women are included.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    Much like most things in life, this is a matter of opinion, and as such you can expect nearly every aspect of it to be entirely subjective. Some people like broccoli, some don't. One man's repulsive is another man's appealing. All you can really do is just live life according to your own personal set of morals and beliefs. And, at the end of the day, just remember what The Dude has to say on the subject:

LastBrokenHorsefly.gif
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Oh look, a man telling a woman what to do with her body.

No doubt to be butthurt when the women tell him to butt out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson

You mean caucasian women
    and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

I don't know what "disproportionately large" means to you
    Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look,

who cares
    it just seems a bit inelegant to me,

who cares
    Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique.

I don't know what "elegant" means to you, except maybe "more caucasian-looking"
    My advice to any woman

who cares
    is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine -

lost in my lack of caring about the rest of what you have to say
    after that learn to accept yourself and be proud.

Oh gee awesome THANK YOU SO MUCH that would not have occurred to me if you hadn't suggested it

RIGHT AFTER you told us what you thought was NOT OK

This post had me laughing and smiling the whole way thru.

10/10 would read again
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've always had a bubble butt and in fact people made fun of it when I was growing up. Then butts became the cool thing to have and everyone was trying to get one. I don't think my butt will ever go away but at least doing squats and deadlifts made it firmer.

Dang! You sound like me. Black girls used to tell me I have a ghetto butt. Kids made fun of girls with big butts when I was in high school, but now it's all the rage. I was born in the wrong decade I guess.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    This post smells familiar.

OP, would you also feel compelled to tell a woman if she had camel toe?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

9ooK4NT.jpg
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson

You mean caucasian women
    and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

I don't know what "disproportionately large" means to you
    Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look,

who cares
    it just seems a bit inelegant to me,

who cares
    Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique.

I don't know what "elegant" means to you, except maybe "more caucasian-looking"
    My advice to any woman

who cares
    is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine -

lost in my lack of caring about the rest of what you have to say
    after that learn to accept yourself and be proud.

Oh gee awesome THANK YOU SO MUCH that would not have occurred to me if you hadn't suggested it

RIGHT AFTER you told us what you thought was NOT OK

*applause*
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This post smells familiar.

OP, would you also feel compelled to tell a woman if she had camel toe?

yqy9veeysgju.gif
    lol.gif 461.4K
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    sirmixalotilikebigbuttsseattleorchestra.gif

I prefer the Jonathan Coulton version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWaN_Tc5wo
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't think you realize that some of us have a naturally big butt. You hurt me bad, real bad!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Baby Got Back came out in 1992. I was still in high school.

Bootylicious came out in 2002. I just graduated Grad School.

It's 2015. The love of the big booty has been around for a long, long time.

Those songs make me wanna squat for dayyyyyyys.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This thing right here
    Is lettin all the ladies know
    What guys talk about
    You know
    The finer things in life

Is that more elegant?

I personally was going to blame Rumpshaker but forgot about Fat bottomed girls.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    It's cultural. As Latin Americans have more and more influence on the larger culture in the United States, beauty standards have shifted. This has always been a thing in populations with African diaspora. It is most obvious is in Brazil and the Caribbean--Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.

Yep - I was going to say this! It's a cultural thing. In Brazil (where I was born) people have always liked a big booty - more important than big hooters. I grew up in Australia though where people worried if their butts "looked big in this". I've never had a butt unfortunately (or boobs either!) but am really happy that my previously flat butt is starting to round out and up due to all my squats!

For some reason though, North Americans have caught on to this Latin American preference and now all the chicks want the booty.

Massive fake butts look just as "inelegant" as massive fake hooters IMHO - so it's all about getting the aesthetics right in relation to your body shape/size!
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »

US media is global and influences popular culture worldwide. I'm sure that you Brits have been subjected to the Kardashians, for example.

Whites will be a minority here in a couple of decades, so expect the images that you see to keep changing. I'm sure that demographics are shifting in Europe as well.

OP, why would anybody care about your particular, personal tastes? Making recommendations about what all women "should" look like or do based and what you like is beyond ridiculous. I certainly remember 6-packs being a thing in the early 80...that is not a new standard of male attractiveness at all.

What's truly sad is when people have hearts and minds that are disproportionately small.

I know you said populations of African diaspora, but I just wanted to point out to readers that a big butt is a trait very common for black women. Not just Latin America. African women are included.

Agreed.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    bp2fg4uzbzjp.jpg