when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The gifs in this post have been the best ever!

I'd like to note that squats don't really give you a big butt, they give you a nice lift. Like two little Gem Donuts (a guy from high school said this once and it stuck in my head).

Signed,
    Spongemom Squarepants
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't know. Why did people think women looking "boyish" in the 1920's was attractive? Why did people think corsets looked attractive in the 1910's? Why were hour glass figures all the rage in the 1950's? Twiggy in the 1960's? None of it had particular reason. Perhaps all those body types were made popular by the famous people in that era. Maybe that's Kim K now. Don't read too much into it. Women like what they like.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    wrputve5mg8c.jpeg

What? No!! Freddy Mercury was always cool. Probably more so then than now. Now everyone would be like "Oh he's fat shaming!" "My fanny isn't fat, it's fit!"
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    thanks guys, gotta say though, I was hoping for more of a socio-anthropological analysis in the anwers :)

Which one, sociological, or anthropological?
    If you're looking for a made up evo-psych reason, go ahead and make up your own, it will probably as valid as the average evo-psych argument.

More on the sociological side? Simple, women's fashion will always change in an never ending treadmill to force women to feel insecure in their bodies, and drive them towards doing things that represent their willingness to endure discomfort as a way of pleasing cis-het men's expectations. Squat-butts represent this trend very well in requiring yet even harder requirements than other things - a woman will have to butt in a fair length of time at the gym or need surgery if she isn't born with the attributes desired. It even gives society an added ability to spurn a woman as having failed to have that kind of butt for her own faults and lack of dedication because media perpetuates that any woman can get a butt with enough work and exercise - something hard to try to make women feel bad about with something like breasts that can't be altered much by exercise. So now not only can women be made to feel bad about their appearance, they can be made to feel bad about not doing something about it.

Is that what kind of explanation you wanted?
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Also, this:
    cb7671016f3db9b36f49f4eb5fb1d859795872eed00e49cc27b84cc7135a4b81_1.jpg

...you made me google "Bechdel Test" and I'm still giggling.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Behold, the Venus of Willendorf (back view, now in the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna) from around 25,000 BCE. They liked big butts 27,000 years ago, too.

0zvnq77jiny7.jpg
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am just sitting her patiently waiting for big noses to come into style... and then the joke is on all of you cause I will be the hottest in all the land!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Also, this:

Technically, no it doesn't pass. While that one sentence would, the Bechdel test is about a scene, and what the two women go on to say is about how rappers (which are taken to be male given context) are always interested in her butt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am just sitting her patiently waiting for big noses to come into style... and then the joke is on all of you cause I will be the hottest in all the land!

You. I like. :bigsmile:
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

:D
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think there are two elements to it:

1. Some people just want to look like that now. You can blame it on the Kardashians or whatever if you want, but that's just the way it is. You don't have to like that look if you don't want to, but just know that women aren't obliged to care what you think the ideal physique is--they can look however they want. We can ALL look however we want. But the last thing women really need is men telling them what they should ideally look like. The 50s are over.

2. There are other people who are just simply overweight and don't want to do anything about it. Because the big booty look seems to be in style right now, they use it as an excuse to continue to be overweight. And that's ok too--you can't be healthy if you don't want to be healthy. But there is a social norm in the US now that being large is perfectly ok. I get criticized more for being "skinny" than I ever did for being fat. I constantly have people trying to shove food in my face because they are CONVINCED I'm starving to death. The fact of the matter is that if you are a healthy weight, or even a little overweight, in the United States you are more or less in the minority.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    alohajls wrote: »
    Behold, the Venus of Willendorf (back view, now in the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna) from around 25,000 BCE. They liked big butts 27,000 years ago, too.

0zvnq77jiny7.jpg

Thank you!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

who doesnt love a nice bit of mansplaining

i *kitten* hate that made up word. it does nothing but set feminism back.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Also, this:

Technically, no it doesn't pass. While that one sentence would, the Bechdel test is about a scene, and what the two women go on to say is about how rappers (which are taken to be male given context) are always interested in her butt.

For anyone else lacking context, "Oh My God, Becky, Look At Her Butt" is the beginning of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrP-0EbreuE
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options

OMG girl. That is so funny. I have a huge nose, and it's never been in style. Like you though, Imma waiting!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

:lol:
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thank you all, we should start some sort of a "equality for all disproportionally large body parts group" Then we can all find love on the internet :)
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just want to say that I fully support any woman who wants to be inelegant in this way. Elegance is overrated anyway :tongue:
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    thank you all, we should start some sort of a "equality for all disproportionally large body parts group" Then we can all find love on the internet :)

I really feel like this needs a "giggidy"
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, one of these.

If you'd like some historical context, look up Saartjie Baartman. Hers was a highly publicized "career" of being exploited for her large butt. The play is also excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Venus-Acting-Edition-Suzan-Lori-Parks/dp/0822215675, and examines the situation from a socio-anthropological viewpoint. While her story is just one of many, it illustrates why many (Caucasian, in this case) cultures glamorize the "other."