What's the funniest comment you have had..

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Another one I get from older women (I'm 24 - So I do not mean that in an offensive way, I just work with women that range from about 40-50, I'm the youngest!) "It's EASY for you - you're so young! It's harder at my age".

Way to discredit my hard work!!

My mom, who has been trying and failing to lose weight for LITERALLY 15 years now, is constantly throwing this one at me. I tried, very sensitively, to get her to do what I'm doing and she totally blew me off "Oh it doesn't work like that for me, I don't have time to count calories, etc etc" and yet she is constantly doing "cleanses" and spending a bunch of money on new fitness classes that kick her butt so hard she can barely walk (she's 53). And whenever I tell her "But mom, I've lost 14 lbs ALREADY and I've really put in minimal effort compared to you." She acts like it's just no big deal at all and she makes me feel like my efforts, however small they are in comparison to hers (It's been effort for me, and probably for the average person, just cause I didn't sign up for boot camp....), don't matter at all. Like, I realize people are different, but CICO is the same no matter your age unless you have special conditions, and she doesn't.

I just want to scream at her through her excuses "Don't you get it??? YOU'RE the reason I thought there was no hope all these years! Your constant "trying" and failing made me believe that if you couldn't do it with all the work you APPEARED to be putting in, that of course I could never do it! And now you can't even be happy for me that I can do it after all?! Really?"

It's kind of interesting. With as much as I disagree with my mom about, we at least agree that counting calories and adding exercise is what works. We may choose different ways to do both, but it works.

I wish. She's convinced she has some kind of hormone issue one week, then she can't have carbs next week, then it's "Great-grandma is allergic to sugar, I think I am too" the week after that, then she binges, then she goes vegetarian, then she goes to the doctor and the doctor gives her shakes and a rule to eat nothing but green veggies for 4 weeks, then she gets on phentermine, then she gains it all back eating her "clean diet" of oats and kale and snap peas and whathaveyou, then saturated fat and anything partially hydrogenated is the devil. The list goes on and on and on and on and on. And calorie counting and letting herself eat what she pleases within a set amount would never work because reasons. I am now 15.5 lbs down. When I reach my goal, I'm gonna be really interested to see what she thinks of CICO then...

My dad has good foods and bad foods. I hate even eating anything around him. I have childhood memories of him being judgemental of my eating when I was underweight because I was growing fast.

Congrats on the 15.5 lbs.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Another one I get from older women (I'm 24 - So I do not mean that in an offensive way, I just work with women that range from about 40-50, I'm the youngest!) "It's EASY for you - you're so young! It's harder at my age".

My mom, who has been trying and failing to lose weight for LITERALLY 15 years now, is constantly throwing this one at me. I tried, very sensitively, to get her to do what I'm doing and she totally blew me off "Oh it doesn't work like that for me, I don't have time to count calories, etc etc" and yet she is constantly doing "cleanses" and spending a bunch of money on new fitness classes that kick her butt so hard she can barely walk (she's 53). And whenever I tell her "But mom, I've lost 14 lbs ALREADY and I've really put in minimal effort compared to you." She acts like it's just no big deal at all and she makes me feel like my efforts, however small they are in comparison to hers (It's been effort for me, and probably for the average person, just cause I didn't sign up for boot camp....), don't matter at all. Like, I realize people are different, but CICO is the same no matter your age unless you have special conditions, and she doesn't.

I just want to scream at her through her excuses "Don't you get it??? YOU'RE the reason I thought there was no hope all these years! Your constant "trying" and failing made me believe that if you couldn't do it with all the work you APPEARED to be putting in, that of course I could never do it! And now you can't even be happy for me that I can do it after all?! Really?"

It's kind of interesting. With as much as I disagree with my mom about, we at least agree that counting calories and adding exercise is what works. We may choose different ways to do both, but it works.

I wish. She's convinced she has some kind of hormone issue one week, then she can't have carbs next week, then it's "Great-grandma is allergic to sugar, I think I am too" the week after that, then she binges, then she goes vegetarian, then she goes to the doctor and the doctor gives her shakes and a rule to eat nothing but green veggies for 4 weeks, then she gets on phentermine, then she gains it all back eating her "clean diet" of oats and kale and snap peas and whathaveyou, then saturated fat and anything partially hydrogenated is the devil. The list goes on and on and on and on and on. And calorie counting and letting herself eat what she pleases within a set amount would never work because reasons. I am now 15.5 lbs down. When I reach my goal, I'm gonna be really interested to see what she thinks of CICO then...

No then she'll most likely tell you, that you take after your Father; that's why it was so "easy"/for you to lose the weight!

OMG have you been spying on us or something? She just said something like this a couple weeks ago except she was comparing me to my great-grandma! (The woman is a 94 year old stick who still lives on her own unassisted and she could probably kick my butt, so I took it as a compliment too, but she made it pretty clear what she meant)

LOL no but your Mother is obviously playing the "Blame Game" & that type of comparison, is always on the list. Might I suggest that you show her, your posts & our (the communities) responses; to them about her. Sometimes a humiliating reality check, is what's necessary long term; to counteract any/all short term placebo effects.

I WILL try that if I reach my goal and she still doesn't believe. I mean, she can be a royal pain, but she's my mom and I want her to LIVE. Her biggest complaint is how hard it is to calorie count and how she doesn't have time. Gonna be browsing the community for any and all posts about THAT for sure. :)

You'll reach your goals but I doubt that she'll believe you because she'll still consider you to be a "Special Snowflake" (as this community affectionately refers to the unique, as being; on here) but that is also why it'll be awesome, when you present this to her because all of us here that're losing weight, realistically can't all be "Special Snowflakes"; therefore it has to be something else. We can't all be losing weight & be "wrong" via how we're accomplishing this feat, while your Mother's method is "right" yet she isn't losing the weight.

Also if she has the time to do all that I read about her doing, if she ceases all of that senselessness; than she'll have that time/to dedicate to Calorie counting instead!
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me "Wow, you finally have a neck." I was like who the fck doesn't have a neck. lol
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I got started on weights with 1,5kg. My mom said "Be careful not to weight-lift too much, you don't want to get bulky!" LIKE a beginner in fitness like me could ever get my muscles CLOSE to looking bulky, and even if I did I'd actually be into it. :D

Also my bf keeps worrying about my boobs disappearing, which I find hilarious...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

My dad has good foods and bad foods. I hate even eating anything around him. I have childhood memories of him being judgemental of my eating when I was underweight because I was growing fast.

Thank you! I'm super happy about it! I know what you mean about the good foods and bad foods. She's always talking about them in reference to herself though, I don't think she has ever outright looked at me and said "don't eat that because..."
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

No then she'll most likely tell you, that you take after your Father; that's why it was so "easy"/for you to lose the weight!

OMG have you been spying on us or something? She just said something like this a couple weeks ago except she was comparing me to my great-grandma! (The woman is a 94 year old stick who still lives on her own unassisted and she could probably kick my butt, so I took it as a compliment too, but she made it pretty clear what she meant)

LOL no but your Mother is obviously playing the "Blame Game" & that type of comparison, is always on the list. Might I suggest that you show her, your posts & our (the communities) responses; to them about her. Sometimes a humiliating reality check, is what's necessary long term; to counteract any/all short term placebo effects.

I WILL try that if I reach my goal and she still doesn't believe. I mean, she can be a royal pain, but she's my mom and I want her to LIVE. Her biggest complaint is how hard it is to calorie count and how she doesn't have time. Gonna be browsing the community for any and all posts about THAT for sure. :)

You'll reach your goals but I doubt that she'll believe you because she'll still consider you to be a "Special Snowflake" (as this community affectionately refers to the unique, as being; on here) but that is also why it'll be awesome, when you present this to her because all of us here that're losing weight, realistically can't all be "Special Snowflakes"; therefore it has to be something else. We can't all be losing weight & be "wrong" via how we're accomplishing this feat, while your Mother's method is "right" yet she isn't losing the weight.

Also if she has the time to do all that I read about her doing, if she ceases all of that senselessness; than she'll have that time/to dedicate to Calorie counting instead!

RIGHT!!!!??? Oh, you're my mama issues soulmate.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    "You know, if you get any thinner, you're going to look gaunt - especially your face." Yeah, my mom is great. :-/
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Back on topic.... (sorry OP, I NEEDED that vent though)

I had a funny one last night. The TL;DR version is that I caught my hubby, the gentlest and most chill guy on earth, checkin me out last night, he said something about what I was wearing out of the house being pretty revealing (he was just commenting, he'd never presume to tell me what I couldn't wear), and I said something to the effect of "lol, jealous man, what are you gonna do when I'm thin and pretty?"... he looks me up and down, turns away to finish what he was doing and says all softly "probably go to prison". LOL
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Two: both involving my spouse.

The first time my spouse who had lost, at most 5 lbs, was wearing baggy clothes. At the time I had lost around 40. Someone looking directly at both of us commented to my spouse, "Wow, you have really lost a lot of weight" . . . The person didn't even notice I had lost a pound.

The second (in a really sad kind of way). I wore a dress I haven't been able to fit in recently to work the other day. I came home. My spouse took one look and said, "You really need to lose some weight. That dress is really not flattering." She walked out, and my daughter burst into laughter and confirmed what I had been hearing all day at work - the dress was the most flattering thing I had worn in months. (I'm also down 9 lbs in the past 2 weeks.)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Two: both involving my spouse.

The first time my spouse who had lost, at most 5 lbs, was wearing baggy clothes. At the time I had lost around 40. Someone looking directly at both of us commented to my spouse, "Wow, you have really lost a lot of weight" . . . The person didn't even notice I had lost a pound.

The second (in a really sad kind of way). I wore a dress I haven't been able to fit in recently to work the other day. I came home. My spouse took one look and said, "You really need to lose some weight. That dress is really not flattering." She walked out, and my daughter burst into laughter and confirmed what I had been hearing all day at work - the dress was the most flattering thing I had worn in months. (I'm also down 9 lbs in the past 2 weeks.)

WOW, that reeks of some jealousy... maybe she's feeling unattractive next to you. But it was mean to say anyway. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    "With your belly smaller, your boobs look so much bigger!" (husband) lol... I did actually lose a cup size but IDGAF.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    "Wow, you sure are looking better now."

Gee thanks, my favorite aunt.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My brother told me I was looking goofy in my favorite shirt. It hangs on me now, so I guess I'll have to let it go soon... :neutral:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You lost 2 lbs a week??? That's so sad. It's unsafe! (funny remark from a poster on this forum.) lol*

Don't see what's funny about this. It *is* unsafe for a lot of people.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You lost 2 lbs a week??? That's so sad. It's unsafe! (funny remark from a poster on this forum.) lol*

Don't see what's funny about this. It *is* unsafe for a lot of people.

But it's not unsafe for everyone, and if you feel totally fine and energetic losing 2lbs a week, what's the problem? Ya know, I made a big deal about MFP and losing 2 lbs a week to my doctor 3 weeks ago. This is a 15+ yrs medical professional mind you, and I told him how people b**** on here about 2 lbs per week. Know what he said? "It's about how you feel, and about how much you have to lose. I want you to stop if you start to feel lethargic or if you feel any serious weakness or faintness, call me right away and we'll make room to see you, but you look like you've got a solid plan here, and you've already dropped your BMI, so I'd say you're doing just fine." For the record, 2 months and 16 lbs down (yeah 2 lbs per week), I feel better than I have ever felt since I was an active 10 year old that didn't have bills to pay. I have more energy now than before I had my son and became a sleep deprived nightmare. I find it EASY to pop up out of my chair and go accomplish whatever thing I need to accomplish, as opposed to 3 months ago when I would put stuff off as long as possible because it was exhausting. And when or if those things stop feeling awesome, of course I'll change the numbers to accommodate that.

Whether 2 lbs per week is unsafe depends on A LOT of factors. Of course not everyone should do it (50lbs+ to lose club amiright), and probably as you get closer to your goal you should up your caloric intake to maintain lean mass more, but much like people are all different, how much you lose is ALL different. Some people lose nothing for a month and spontaneously lose 14 lbs. Would you call that unhealthy? Without knowing any details about that person or their lifestyle/exercise? People on here are SUPER fast to jump all over someone with "1200 calories isn't enough!" and "2 lbs per week is way too fast!" without knowing ANYTHING about the person they are referring to. Without knowing there TDEE or their activity level or their BMR or RMR. And for those of us who are well within the definition of "safe" (and feeling totally super) it gets really annoying.

I think this person being irritated by someone commenting on their 2lbs per week loss, after they've been feeling fine and fit is pretty par for the course. Obviously if someone comes here with a problem, like they feel awful or feel like they are starving all the time, or they've hit a major plateau in their exercise capabilities, of course people aught to tell them to reassess their calories and weekly goals, but you see it a lot with people who have SUCCESSFULLY lost weight and are now lean-mean-fit-machines who feel fantastic and are just looking for a little "good job". There's a place for that advice and a place for congratulations. Benefit of the doubt, and in the context of this post, I'm assuming the person who said that was a success story who gets tired of hearing how their success was not good enough.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

I'm closing in on 46 and I get that from a friend of mine who is only a year or so older! She blames early menopause. I don't say too much, but always think about the ladies in that age range on this board who've been successful. Rate of loss might be slower, but it still happens!

I have to admit that in my early days on MFP, I saw photos of someone and thought, yeah, she looks great, but how old is she? (It was sarauk.) And then I clicked on her profile and to my discomfort saw that she is one year younger than I am. I started weight training progressively immediately.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'm super happy about it! I know what you mean about the good foods and bad foods. She's always talking about them in reference to herself though, I don't think she has ever outright looked at me and said "don't eat that because..."
    My dad has. And my BMI has always been lower than his.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

My dad has. And my BMI has always been lower than his.

Well poo on your dad. You're clearly doing perfectly well without his unwanted jabs at your diet. Parents can be such a pain in the stomach ;)
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    From my DOCTOR! You really don't have all that much to lose. I needed to lose about 100 pounds at the time.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to be in amazing shape. Lifting weight etc. I was ripped (seriously I lifted to bulk, I had guns), ate healthy etc.....my mom pulled me aside and said she was really worried about me because I was so "skinny". She was worried I had an eating disorder, because I used to diet back in highschool....um I'm 30+ with 3 kids and you don't get muscle from eating cabbage soup 3x a day. lol

Then I had customers that kept asking me to arm wrestle them (I worked as a cocktail waitress on the weekends at a very high end restaurant)