Why request friends if you're not going to interact?

Options

Replies

• LWins999
    LWins999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request. I log everyday and have an open diary. I comment on all my friend's post. We are here to motivate each other.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Insofar as size of FL and whether I delete a contact or not, If I accept your messageless FR and then go out of my to way to introduce myself to you on your wall, you better dang well reciprocate. Clicking the stupid like button is meaningless.

So you like to give as well as receive.

Awww yeah. Imma have to send some FR's out now.

tumblr_myn9bmGvAY1s4ov53o1_400.gif

I can haz Moscato?

*pats the couch next to her*

I'll even make some brownies!

[...something about straining the butter]

Yes please

Brownies? Yes puhleez...

As long as they aren't crunchy. In.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Insofar as size of FL and whether I delete a contact or not, If I accept your messageless FR and then go out of my to way to introduce myself to you on your wall, you better dang well reciprocate. Clicking the stupid like button is meaningless.

I can haz Moscato?

Yes please

Brownies? Yes puhleez...

I think @tincanonastring has a good recipe.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    How do you keep track who comments on which statuses? Do you keep a spreadsheet?
    Does clicking *like* count?

Catching up to find out!

I notice who comments because I have a small number of friends. Whenever I find that I have a "friend" that never responds to me or others or never comments on posts, then I delete. There is no magic number that I use to determine if they are interactive enough, just those that are completely mute get the boot.

Same. In addition, if I'm contemplating deleting, I might look through my last couple status updates to see if they at least bothered to throw a like here and there. If a user actively comments on their newsfeed, and maybe I know them to be knowledgeable in an area that I've posted a status update or otherwise commented/struggled on, and no advice or support was ever sent my way, then i do conclude that maybe they just don't want to interact with me. Not just receiving support but giving some every so often
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people add people because they think they might be a good fit, decide they don't really like that person for whatever reason, but are worried about hurting their feelings if they defriend?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I can haz Moscato?

Yes please

Brownies? Yes puhleez...

Wut m8?

All edges here or GTFO.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I can haz Moscato?

Yes please

Brownies? Yes puhleez...

Wut m8?

All edges here or GTFO.

41TpFxp9GRL._SX300_.jpg
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I can haz Moscato?

Yes please

Brownies? Yes puhleez...

Wut m8?

All edges here or GTFO.

Ill take the middle. BOOM. Perfect team.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people add people because they think they might be a good fit, decide they don't really like that person for whatever reason, but are worried about hurting their feelings if they defriend?

Especially when said friend does like all the statuses. You KNOW they would figure it out...

1796a3a051f892f15f0094d8353941981b0533f4_hq.gif
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    if a friend is not active on mfbp for over 21 days to a month i delete them at around 2 weeks i send a miss you message. i spend hours a day answering my friends and that keeps me from the fridge after dinner but not everyone does this i have 250 friends roughly and maybe 50 comment on things.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    if a friend is not active on mfbp for over 21 days to a month i delete them at around 2 weeks i send a miss you message. i spend hours a day answering my friends and that keeps me from the fridge after dinner but not everyone does this i have 250 friends roughly and maybe 50 comment on things.

Hours? Really? Where do you find the time?

I can manage about 5-10 min in the morning and about 5-10 min in the evening, and that's about all the time I've got to check out what my friends are up to. But then I work full time and take grad courses while training for cycling events. Different priorities, I guess.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've never sent a request out, and only except ones with a message as to why, unless I recognize the name from a group I support, or friend of friend.

I only post exercise, and state from time to time I don't need comments or nods of support so don't feel obligated, the workout is being done no matter what, but several have said they get ideas and reminders from my verbose workout notes, or ask questions to learn something.

I'll share studies and ideas and general encouragement too.

After logging in a couple times daily, I'll look back over the past 3 hr window and comment on others workouts and posts if something there besides generic posting, or at least a like if I know they are same with their workouts as I am with mine.

I only clean up the FL when I remember to, with those with no login over a month being deleted, unless they posted why they'd be gone, or I'm one of only 6 friends.

So there are lots of folks out there that could be used to my and others methods where we expect or need nothing in return, and our posts are likely being used for encouragement. Or forgotten.
    So when these folks see your posts, they may like the tact you take and want to feel inspired and so friend you - but not realizing they are expected to be inspiring in return.
  • NurseCrystalB
    NurseCrystalB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Came here to this thread yesterday stating that I have zero friends to interact with and that I'd like some. Got zero friend requests from this thread...hmmmm thanks folks.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Came here to this thread yesterday stating that I have zero friends to interact with and that I'd like some. Got zero friend requests from this thread...hmmmm thanks folks.

The topic where people are explaining why they don't or can't interact with their MFPals may not be the best one to get new pals. Try here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176797/comment-here-if-you-want-more-friends/p1

Or just post your own topic in the Introduce Yourself forum

You may wish to add something to your profile, so that people have some idea if they have things in common with you. Conversation topics, encouragement points, that sort of thing. Though I suspect you'll get lots of friends if you post on that other topic

Finally, you can send friend requests yourself to people you find interesting. Click on their profile picture, should take you to an area where you'll find a link to add as friend
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

Of course. Happiness all around.

If I friend request you without a message, you better accept without talking about me on your wall first with the wrong freaking name.

Jus' sayin'
    Whatever Kerry.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LWins999 wrote: »
    I sent you a request. I log everyday and have an open diary. I comment on all my friend's post. We are here to motivate each other.

I'm not. I'm here to lose weight and get in shape.

edit: that wasn't mean to come off as snarky if it was taken that way.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    New post so LWins999 won't think it was directed at her only.

This is a fitness site. So what if someone is a "friend" collector and someone isn't? CICO and exercise should be a bigger focus than worrying about how superficial you may think the Like button is or deleting a friend because they didn't leave a meaningful comment about my Cheerios and coffee for breakfast.

PS NurseCrystalB: I sent a friend request. If you accept I'll have a whopping 19 friends on MFP.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    LWins999 wrote: »

I'm not. I'm here to lose weight and get in shape.

edit: that wasn't mean to come off as snarky if it was taken that way.

i get that and i think regardless of 1 friend or 1000 friends we are really in this alone. i do like the fact i can talk to others on here about what i am up to as dont have anyone in real life who will be interested.
  • popou2014
    popou2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At least a discussion like this has attracted talkative people so I ha e added some of you from here for more chitchats and motivation to eachother ☺️
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    If I wasn't so anal on commenting on all posts I'd do as you do too.

You comment on ALL the posts?

I do! I don't expect the same in return but I expect something.