Why request friends if you're not going to interact?

Options

Replies

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    LWins999 wrote: »
    I sent you a request. I log everyday and have an open diary. I comment on all my friend's post. We are here to motivate each other.

I'm not. I'm here to lose weight and get in shape.

edit: that wasn't mean to come off as snarky if it was taken that way.

i get that and i think regardless of 1 friend or 1000 friends we are really in this alone. i do like the fact i can talk to others on here about what i am up to as dont have anyone in real life who will be interested.

My sentiment exactly! I don't have anyone offline to work out with (I am building my own home gym) and/or share recipes with (meaning that I'd like to cook a healthy meal once a week, to share with someone and/or even a small group of friends; that's trying to lose weight & vice versa).
  • silverstormborn
    silverstormborn Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OP, I completely agree with you!

A couple weeks ago I had enough... after being spammed by someone with 'likes' on feeds which mentioned I failed to meet my daily goals & as an anorexic, was continuing to lose weight... there's nothing supportive about that, I deleted them. I got the impression they hadn't even bothered to read the feed, & all the while I've been checking up on them & supporting them with advice {?!} Not that I ever got any acknowledgement {?!!! :/ }... That person was clearly very self-centred. This isn't facebook & I'm not going to go down peoples feeds, spamming them with likes, just to get liked back.

WinoGelato question was on topic though, so fully disagreeing with you there.
    emhunter wrote: »
    I am satisfied with the friends I already have, but occasionally I receive friend requests and accept the request, only to find out that the friend is silent on my posts all the time. Or that they never bother to be social and comment on anyone's post besides their own. It seems counterproductive to me.

I comment on all of my friends' posts almost every day, but inevitably end up with friends that never comment on my posts, or exert any energy towards supporting anyone else. I feel bad deleting the person, but eventually I do. My question is for those that do this, is why? Why send a friend request if you don't bother to read that persons profile or interact with them or return the support they are giving you? It seems like it would be easier to save your energy and not request someone just to end up getting deleted.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    No I asked why did the people that do this, do it. No speculation there.

My family comes first, I have a full time job, life happens and sometimes posts just aren't interesting.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what post it is. If it's one of the automated posts about their food diary, or weight loss then I usually like it. I don't think that many people expect their friends to say "way to go", "nice burn", "nice logging" on every single post. I don't expect it from my friends. If they are asking for advice (and I'm able to help) or just posting on their day to day stuff I'm more likely to comment.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't post anything to my newsfeed, and don't read other people's posts. I did when I first started, but it got too much for me for various reasons (nothing to do with what my friends had posted as such). I've had a couple of friend requests since I've stopped reading/posting, and have told them that I'm not active on the feed and I'll understand if they delete me.

I'm using MFP my way, others are using it their way, and there's room for all of us.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Fair enough. I don't like or comment on status updates for every person on my list. I don't have time for that. If someone wants something more from me, I would hope they would let me know directly, not delete me and then go on about it with others.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

My family comes first, I have a full time job, life happens and sometimes posts just aren't interesting.

Ditto. I have some amazing people on my friends list that are interesting and inspiring, but I just don't have the time to interact with all of them all the time. I do like checking their pages and reading updates when I'm able to.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Insofar as size of FL and whether I delete a contact or not, If I accept your messageless FR and then go out of my to way to introduce myself to you on your wall, you better dang well reciprocate. Clicking the stupid like button is meaningless.

Have I been neglecting you again?

Yes. You change that by bringing me all the food.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Insofar as size of FL and whether I delete a contact or not, If I accept your messageless FR and then go out of my to way to introduce myself to you on your wall, you better dang well reciprocate. Clicking the stupid like button is meaningless.

So you like to give as well as receive.
    Of course. Happiness all around.

If I friend request you without a message, you better accept without talking about me on your wall first with the wrong freaking name.

Jus' sayin'
    Whatever Kerry.

Uh oh.....thought it was Katy. I even had a neat little reminder.....the 'y' at the end 'cause I thought they cared. >:)

Could be Kammie. Or Kitaro. Or Kipp.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

So you like to give as well as receive.
    Of course. Happiness all around.

If I friend request you without a message, you better accept without talking about me on your wall first with the wrong freaking name.

Jus' sayin'
    Whatever Kerry.

Uh oh.....thought it was Katy. I even had a neat little reminder.....the 'y' at the end 'cause I thought they cared. >:)

Could be Kammie. Or Kitaro. Or Kipp.

You're really not going to last long at this rate, dude.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Well, to be fair, you asked here in the forums, and not the people on your friends list. So people answering here in the forums who are not on your friends list cannot do more than speculate. When people are speculating in this thread and you ask them to stop doing that and get back on topic, that's not fair. They can hardly do anything else.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. Having a background in psychology and education, I’ve always been curious about the idea of encouragement and how that affects outcomes whether personal or school/work related. I just recently read an article that I think may have some relevance here (Psychology of Encouragement –it is quite long but worth at least skimming through if you have the time)

This article shared four dimensions of encouragement
    1. Positive view of self
    2. Positive view of others
    3. Openness to experiences different from their perceived “norm”
    4. Sense of belonging

Based on this list, I would assert that each of us are at different levels requiring (or not) different types of encouragement. Some may already feel confident in themselves and ready to tackle anything that life throws at them without the need to have someone reassure them. Others may not quite be there yet and could use an extra “push” however that is defined by the person.

I can attest to the feeling of being super overwhelmed when I first knew I wanted to lose weight. I was also uncertain of what to do or where to start and lacked confidence. At that time, I had a few friends who pushed me through with encouraging comments even when I did not say much back other than what everyone else was saying (i.e. Good job!). That is because I was at a different stage in this journey than I am today.

Now, I am trying to pay it forward so-to-speak to help others who may need that extra help. While I would appreciate the reciprocal feedback, at the same time I remember what it was like when I started. I believe putting things in perspective like this may help each one of us decide how to progress. After all, we all have a choice on how to handle our friend requests.

For me personally, I enjoy a small group of people because it gives me the ability to comment. However, others may need more friends because of where they are on their journey. That doesn’t mean they are necessarily taking advantage of others. Once we all realize we are not necessarily at the same point, I think it may be easier to digest the lack of some people’s participation. That said, if this is a concern for you, there’s nothing wrong with the delete button because as selfish as this may seem, you are doing this for you and no one else.

TL;DR – Each of us are on a different part of our weight loss journey meaning we may need more or less support from others (i.e. encouragement). It is up to each person to decide how to handle what type of support is needed/wanted. If you want lots of commenters, look for those people who are active (the forums like this are a great place to start). If you would rather help others, again the forum is also a good place that doesn’t involve the need to even have friends. The choice is yours! Just remember we all cannot be put into a box and assume what works for one works for all – find what works for you and do it.

Just my thoughts.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

mccindy72 wrote: »

Well, to be fair, you asked here in the forums, and not the people on your friends list. So people answering here in the forums who are not on your friends list cannot do more than speculate. When people are speculating in this thread and you ask them to stop doing that and get back on topic, that's not fair. They can hardly do anything else.

I didn't ask people on this thread to tell me why my former friends behaved that way. I want to hear from people that do this to others, what their reasoning is. That's not speculation.
  • emhunter
    Options
    FatSwatter wrote: »
    This is an interesting thread. Having a background in psychology and education, I’ve always been curious about the idea of encouragement and how that affects outcomes whether personal or school/work related. I just recently read an article that I think may have some relevance here (Psychology of Encouragement –it is quite long but worth at least skimming through if you have the time)

This article shared four dimensions of encouragement
    1. Positive view of self
    2. Positive view of others
    3. Openness to experiences different from their perceived “norm”
    4. Sense of belonging

Based on this list, I would assert that each of us are at different levels requiring (or not) different types of encouragement. Some may already feel confident in themselves and ready to tackle anything that life throws at them without the need to have someone reassure them. Others may not quite be there yet and could use an extra “push” however that is defined by the person.

I can attest to the feeling of being super overwhelmed when I first knew I wanted to lose weight. I was also uncertain of what to do or where to start and lacked confidence. At that time, I had a few friends who pushed me through with encouraging comments even when I did not say much back other than what everyone else was saying (i.e. Good job!). That is because I was at a different stage in this journey than I am today.

Now, I am trying to pay it forward so-to-speak to help others who may need that extra help. While I would appreciate the reciprocal feedback, at the same time I remember what it was like when I started. I believe putting things in perspective like this may help each one of us decide how to progress. After all, we all have a choice on how to handle our friend requests.

For me personally, I enjoy a small group of people because it gives me the ability to comment. However, others may need more friends because of where they are on their journey. That doesn’t mean they are necessarily taking advantage of others. Once we all realize we are not necessarily at the same point, I think it may be easier to digest the lack of some people’s participation. That said, if this is a concern for you, there’s nothing wrong with the delete button because as selfish as this may seem, you are doing this for you and no one else.

TL;DR – Each of us are on a different part of our weight loss journey meaning we may need more or less support from others (i.e. encouragement). It is up to each person to decide how to handle what type of support is needed/wanted. If you want lots of commenters, look for those people who are active (the forums like this are a great place to start). If you would rather help others, again the forum is also a good place that doesn’t involve the need to even have friends. The choice is yours! Just remember we all cannot be put into a box and assume what works for one works for all – find what works for you and do it.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I would say that many of us that ask for friends that reciprocate positive energy don't REQUIRE encouragement. My initial concern was the perception that they were only takers and thought it was just not polite to not acknowledge your "friends." And initially thought those people were rude. Now others have pointed out why they do it and it makes sense to me now.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I didn't ask people on this thread to tell me why my former friends behaved that way. I want to hear from people that do this to others, what their reasoning is. That's not speculation.

When you post in a public forum, you're going to hear from everyone who has access to those forums. That doesn't keep the responses exclusive to only those who fit into the category of 'those who do this to others'. People who read the original post are going to weigh in with opinions and speculation, and they have the right to do that. It's the nature of the forums.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I would say that many of us that ask for friends that reciprocate positive energy don't REQUIRE encouragement. My initial concern was the perception that they were only takers and thought it was just not polite to not acknowledge your "friends." And initially thought those people were rude. Now others have pointed out why they do it and it makes sense to me now.

Honestly, I used to think the same thing which is one of the reasons I was drawn to this thread. I guess after reflecting on myself a bit, I tried to put myself in their shoes. Of course, I definitely want to keep up the positive energy. I used to have a couple of friends who were constantly negative and no matter what anyone said in the way of encouragement (or whatever), they would have a rebuttal. It got to the point where I decided deleting was the way to go after realizing my mood changed as soon as I logged on. That said, if someone wants to vent, I don't mind. It only gets overbearing if it's constant especially if it's over the same thing. It's all about the way people frame their thought.

I think this was a good question to get out there in the open even with all the of opinions on the subject. I enjoy a healthy debate although admittedly it can get a little hairy in a public forum like this since presumably, we don't know each other. But remember you are doing this for you so decide what will help you in the long run. :smile:
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    See I dont use facebook for personal reasons, but I feel like I'm trying to make my feed kind of like a facebook page. I want my friends to know i see their successes and struggles and I try to comment on their posts often. I want to feel like there are people here who would notice if I stopped posting and would reach out to pull me back! Im paying attention to my friends for the same, if one disappears Im sending a message and trying to get them back on track. I would want them to do the same for me.
  • emhunter
    Options

When you post in a public forum, you're going to hear from everyone who has access to those forums. That doesn't keep the responses exclusive to only those who fit into the category of 'those who do this to others'. People who read the original post are going to weigh in with opinions and speculation, and they have the right to do that. It's the nature of the forums.

I know that I can't exclude others but my post was not speculative nor did I ask others to speculate. Others can answer my question without speculating. You said people can only speculate to reply to my post which is simply not true.