WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca - What a thoughtful idea. I will try to find a pic when we are back home and message you for addresses. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Janetr. OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Betty - a pieced together tree skirt. Like a quilt? I'll have to keep my eyes open. Thanks

Becca - cool tree skirt. It was me who was looking to see if there was another type of skirt that I could make. Hey, I just thought, I think I have my passport photo somewhere. that's going to be small. Anyway, getting back to the video, I didn't think MFP would let you post a video. Maybe that was before. I love the movie "Eat Pray Love". Have a great day at the community center. I know they'll be very appreciative of you being there. I'm supposed to volunteer at a fundraiser at this church next Wed. I did it last year. Basically, you can buy a piece of pottery and then have chili. I think we had something like 4 different varieties of chili last year. I'm thinking that I will get there earlier and try out a bit of the chili because I remember people asking if it was hot etc. This way I can answer with knowledge.

Phyl in Cincy - I'm taking a sweet potato casserole to Jessica's. I know that I'll probably be the only one eating it and it's something that when I bring home I'll finish. I'm also bringing a slimmed-down pumpkin pie. Again, since I'm the only one who will eat it I might as well have something that I don't mind bringing home.

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Becca - What a thoughtful idea. I will try to find a pic when we are back home and message you for addresses. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Janetr. OKC

You both have a great Thanksgiving! I am thankful for your friendship <3
    Becca
    Oregon
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to one and all... y'all are at the top of the list of what I'm thankful for, and I'm glad you're in my life.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Dee Dee - thank you so much I am feeling better. I certainly hope its behind me and I can get back into my routine.

For those who sent kind words and thots for my grandson, the meds are taking effect and he is doing better. Kids are so resilient.

DBiL is doing well and Mama S feeling needed and purposeful.

My oldest granddaughter turned 20 today. Where did those years go?

Happy Thanksgiving, love to you all.

Janetr OKC

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Still playing around with my photos. This was in my garden up until last week. It has been a long time since having flowers this late. I was able to resize this picture. nwcp617badnl.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all. May you have a safe lovely holiday.

Terri love the turkey outfit.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the good thoughts for my DH. Appointment went well; however, they did not find clean margins. He'll need another procedure to remove more melanoma before plastic surgery to close the wound bed. Hope to get that scheduled for next week. For now, we'll just relax and enjoy being warm and cozy inside as it's going to be frigid and snowy outside.

Wishing you all a fun holiday, healthy food choices and safe travels. You deserve only the best.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I loved the video. Thanks for posting. I had not seen it before. It was hilarious.

I've been baking all day. Thanksgiving is the one meal where I go all out and it is always at my house. Sometimes the extended family comes, sometimes they don't. Doesn't matter. I may have shared with you all before, but my DH and I met on Thanksgiving Day in 1974, so Thanksgiving is our holiday. I had concert tickets and my date canceled on me at the last minute. I was desperate for a date, and my sister took me over to his place and introduced us. This year, both kids are coming, the grandkids and my parents. My sister won't make it from New Orleans. Who knows if my brother and his family will show or not. I invited them, although they know the tradition and don't really need an invitation. They never RSVP and they never bring anything if they do come, and they are always late. But hey, they are welcome if they show. I can't get bent out of shape if they want to be weird.

I bought all the stuff for the pepperoni, cheese and cracker turkey. I got some Canadian bacon to add in, too, for a low cal option. Logan will only eat the pepperoni and crackers and probably a roll, maybe a sugar cookie. But it is what it is. At least he won't go hungry at my house. I also got him a cute new glass with minions on it.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is having a good time getting their day all planned and going. my oldest daughter, son in law and two grand kids are here now. SIL's birthday is middle of December and our Christmas isn't until Jan 2nd so we went ahead and gave him his birthday present. He wanted Star Wars, the 4th, 5th and 6th movies. So we watched the 4th tonight. I think to me it is the most classic of the movies.

As we were doing last minute shopping last night I completely forgot about Ellie's birthday cake. So I got a cake mix and frosting and made cupcakes today. I wish I had the right size plate, I would make it like the special wedding cupcakes. But i don't so I won't. She won't care and I know no one in my family will care. Tonight i made my watergate salad. My husband was so sure my bowl wasn't big enough. In fact one time he actually tried to put it all in another bowl. I swore to him that it is the exact recipe I made for church and I was using the same bowl. In fact I had put it in a bigger bowl Sunday afternoon and had to then put it in a smaller bowl. And yes, I did take a bowl out for my brother in law without pecans. My daughter tried to give me the guilt complex, I knew she was kidding, that I wasn't making a watergate cake just for her. I guess I need to do that for Christmas. It will be about 33 people and one more dessert will be appreciated. Although I'm not sure how much all the little ones will eat. My one nephew that was a heroin addict used to be married to this woman who couldn't eat anything we served. Now would she accept me offering to make her something else. She went all day, pregnant, and not eating anything. Either she didn't like it or said she was allergic to it. We found out that she tricked Matt into getting pregnant just because she wanted a baby. She divorced him as soon as it was born.

Pip, my heart almost stopped when I was reading your post and you said you tripped. Glad you and the plant survived.

Rori, so sorry your husband didn't have clean margins from his surgery. But you two sound like you have a very close marriage and will weather the storm together.

Everyone have a good day tomorrow, close fellowship. I would say eat well, but I know many will be just like me, practice moderation and enjoy little bits of everything. It's the leftovers that bother me. It's all left at my house.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Gloria - Praying for your grandson, family and you. Good luck on the interview. It's normal to be nervous but I'm sure you will hit it out of the park.

Carol - Crossing fingers for a normal guy for you. What is normal?

Janetr - Sorry to hear your grandson has pneumonia, hope he gets better quickly.

Sylvia - You are a wonderful Grandma

DrKatiebug - I love your turkey and I'm sure Logan will also. So thoughtful and fun.

Rori - I'm sorry the test results were not better.

Joyce - It must be a relief that the test was negative.

Terri - Nice crochet work.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. We celebrated ours back in October.
    Not looking forward to going to work for 5 a.m. on Black Friday. It's already getting crazy in the store and I doubt the longer hours will improve that. Busy, busy, busy. I seem to get called on to do a lot of things the new managers should be doing. The schedule just got thrown back in my lap. Oh well, I've done it lots of times before.
    Counseling today. It was interesting and productive. It seems that things get better for a while after. We don't go again until January. Hopefully we practice some of what we learn there.
    Weather has been crap. I used to enjoy winter but now I just want to bundle up and stay warm.
    Feeling a bit better. Need to do some real exercise.

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada
    -Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning all and Happy Thanksgiving~ I am so very very thankful for you all.
    I got a long message from my daughter last night.. and it hurts my heart so.. she will be 27 in feb. and holds alot of anger over her dad and my divorce ,she was 8 then, basically she puts all the blame on me for how her life turned out... I have tried to explain to her how unhappy I was and yes I made mistakes,but we have to let go of the past and work towards the future..
    she is complaining that she is in a nowhere job and friends her age are buying homes and all.
    well my mistake was giving Rich permanent residence with him,I should have fought harder..
    He has mental illness and would go out and visit his cousins for 5 weeks at a time and leave a vulnerable teen girl to her own devices, remember now, I told you her and Tom had an insident so she wouldnt come here..
    she was out drinking and drugging at 16 ,she quit school... I was the one who went to every school function and teacher conference.. Tracy just chooses to remember all the bad stuff and needs to blame someone, so why not me..
    I am not the one who at 18 was living with a bunch of drug dealers and got pregnant,I waited until I married her father.. but I digress..
    Just hurts me so that she is so unhappy and that she blames me for all of her hurt..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!
    I expect a lot of you are super busy this morning. Best wishes to you and to those who aren't busy and wish they were. <3

Barbie - really enjoyed the video. I waited until DH had gone out so I could enjoy it at peak volume. He's sometimes a bit funny about this site. He has a football chat group, so I'm not sure why as they cover a lot of different topics, but maybe he's a bit jealous. :laugh:

Alison - I'm sure we all blame our parents for our difficulties. I blamed mine, (of course I was right! :laugh: ) my elder son blames me for his depression, (wrong!) my best friend's daughter doesn't even communicate with her at all and has publicly blamed her in the press! All we can do is love them and keep communication open.

Got some lovely free time while DH is out walking and pub lunching with his cricket friend. :) Will have laksa for lunch :love: and watch a foreign film. :D

Got through my exercises this morning. Didn't get to sleep until 1 am as I was overexcited, but dragged myself to the machines. o:)

Rori - hope next week's op gets everything. :flowerforyou: Puts life into perspective. <3 Thinking of you today.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    4wab7oitp6zz.jpg
    5zqpnfseslq7.jpg

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK.
    However, today, in honour of my American friends, I am concentrating on :star:Gratitude :star:

Have read to page 52. Will get back to you later.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I made a quilted Christmas tree skirt from preprinted fabric decades ago. We use it on the years when the kids are coming & we get a full sized cut tree. On the years we're not expecting the kids, I use a living potted dwarf Alberta Spruce. It lives in a Christmassy red pot, and I don't use a skirt on it. It is a coffee table sized tree. :star:

Sylvia: Yay for wifi! :flowerforyou:

Rori: I'm so sorry that your DH did not have clean margins this time. I hope they get it all the next time. Stay warm inside and enjoy one another. :heart:

It is Thanksgiving morning and so far we haven't been upstairs to find out who is up and running. I'm in casual clothes at the moment and will dress up once the set-up is done and the local guests are almost ready to arrive. I can hear people over-head so I think it is time for the work to begin. Today I am thankful for family, old friends, loved ones, and each of you.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Katla temporarily in Beautiful Kentucky

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Ladies,

Pip, soooo glad you didn’t fall when you tripped. Good idea to take the plant to the office if you have peeps there that can help keep it alive.

Barbie, a veggie quiche with just a little bit of pork? Too cute. Some people just act way dumber than they really are. I hope.

Terri, who is that turkey with you? Cute!!!

GreekGoddess aka Linda, welcome. A huge congrats on all the weight you have lost. Thanks to you and others for info on BP. Mine is normally on the high side of normal but I’ll have my friend bring her checker tomorrow and see what mine is. I don’t think I have an inner ear problem as that normally would really be dizzy as in can’t stand up. You are doing great so come often and share your secrets.

Sylvia, again I vote you Grandma of the Year!!! Yes, it’s funny how money can erase pain. We love you for you being you!!!! I don’t think you should do Thanksgiving dinner again, either. (((((HUgss)))))

Katla, I hope you have a lovely time. It might be good that you had already made your plane reservations.

Pip, you know he was just concerned. Glad you are able to get back to the bike.

Michele NC, I too am a big chicken fan so would rather have it than almost anything, except an occasional Filet Mignon. Yum I have a beautiful Christmas Tree skirt that I bought and it’s satin or something similar that has Christmas items sewn on to it. I will try to take a picture of it for you when I get it out, probably this weekend.

Vicki, you sound like me in that I very often would just as soon stay home than go someplace. I love people and being around them but don’t just have to go for the sake of getting out. It sounds wonderful to stay home and get to play with DGD!!!

Betty, I agree totally with what you said about not believing I could/would ever lose this much weight. I know it is not just due to MFP and me but to all you ladies in this great group.

Heather, so glad the London trip went well. Even though I was on your shoulder, I did look the other way. smiley-devil10.gif I agree on not cheating as often because I think of all of you and often think, “What would Barbie do?”. Lol

DeeDee, so good to see you in the room this Thanksgiving morning!!! I often see you lurking in the halls, reading, and it’s just comforting to know you are near. I would love for you to come to MB!!!! Stay healthy and come see us more often. (((((Hugs)))))

Phyl, it sounds like you have planned well for both dinner and dessert. Oh yes, and the walk afterward. Way to go, girl.

MicheleNC, you are one of the few in here that can afford to bring home the sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. Maybe if I did all the exercise you do, I could too but haven’t gotten there yet. Have a good one, my friend.

Janetr, so glad you are better and it sounds like everyone else is the family is too. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Margaret, you are just showing off with having flowers this late. rockon.gif I’m appropriately jealous. Oh yes, but I didn’t have any even earlier in the year, did I?? duh.

Rori, so sorry for your DH’s results but hopefully the next time will get it all. ((Hugs)) for you both.

DrKatie, it sounds like a loving and inviting place to be on Thanksgiving. If your DB doesn’t make it, it’s his loss. Have a great day!

Joyce, I agree with you that it’s not the meal today that will do the damage but the leftovers. On the things I really like, I think I will freeze most of it in smaller portions. That way, we won’t pig out on it for a week. Lol

Allison, our kids can say such hurtful things to us and it cuts us to the core. Just remember what you already know, 1)that she is the one responsible for all her actions, 2)that you did the best you could, 3)that she needs to move forward and not “blame” everything on the past. She is young enough to change the direction her life is moving if she just choose to. Please try to put her hurtful words out of your mind (I know it’s not easy) and have a good Thanksgiving.

Irish, great cartoon. smiley-laughing008.gif That is sweet to concentrate on Gratitude, while we (In US) celebrate Thanksgiving!! We love having all you worldly ladies with us.

Katla, enjoy your Thanksgiving with loved ones!!

Time for me to get moving. Yesterday I got lots of prep work done so today is just a matter of timing on getting everything ready. I’m making dressing from scratch for the first time in years and years. I too like stovetop for the ease and taste. I just hope this turns out good. I make killer giblet gravy so need some good dressing to put it on. I love all you ladies and hope each of you has a wonderful and most pleasant day.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :) Phyl, you have some great ideas about Thanksgiving dinner--not making something that only you will eat, buying only individual slices of pie, and making plans for a walk and talk after dinner......strategy is stronger than willpower.

:) Becca, the community center dinner sounds like a very smart and pleasant idea.

:) Rori, wishing your husband well on his next surgery...modern medicine can do many amazing things

:) drkatie, Thanksgiving at your house sounds great and your attitude is great

:) Joyce, wow, 33 people for Thanksgiving dinner

:) Sharon, Black Friday in Canada doesn't make much sense to me since it's tied to the Thanksgiving weekend in the US.....all the hype about Christmas shopping starts earlier every year....glad to hear that counseling is going well.

:| Alison, my husband has two children who still blame him for everything that is wrong in their lives because he divorced their mom when they were young teenagers. I hope you can find a way to realize that it's not your fault and that you don't have to continue to feel hurt.

:| Heather, I got past my blaming my parents for all that was wrong in my life but ceasing to tell people about what they did wrong and starting to talk only about what they taught me that had enhanced my life (I am frugal, organized, and love dancing because of my parents).

:smile: IrishTerri, that is a great cartoon.

:smile: Peach, Garfield in a turkey suit is great

:smile: Katla, I am happy that your trip to Kentucky is going well

Jake got up and built a fire in the wood stove so the dogs may not want to walk as long as they usually do. We have plans for a simple meal and lots of movies and knitting.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    I am in tears, she wrote me another message that was worse than the first..saying she never thought of me as a caring mother, that dad did everything for her, that all I did was care about Tom and taking care of him, and never took them on vacation and she just went on and on.. I am soooo hurt right now, and it will be very hard for me to get through the day.. I will pull it off, but not happily, she just had Tal skype with me,but Tal had to wear headphones so Tracy didnt have to hear me.. hurtful and mean.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Sharon - thanks so much. My grandson is feeling better. Meds are helping, thankfully. Hope you survive black Friday unscathed. :)

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options