Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    CariTJR wrote: »
    So it's been almost a week with my new Vivosmart and although I was sick for a lot of that week I have discovered something huge.
    My yoga workouts are spot on - 400ish calories BUT my ellipticals are HALF of what I have been putting in. I've been using my machine's number (bc it's lower than MFP) and it's still half of that. So, there's the reason my weight has not budged. Even though I am eating and weighing everything properly, I was not burning enough calories even at 1200 cals. Crazy right? :s
    So, this whole CICO is correct (to a point) but in my case I need to also burn about 800 calories from exercise a week to lose (on top of eating at 1200, hope I explained that properly). I am so glad that I have a complete picture of my food and exercise now.
    Now if I don't lose any weight it's because I'm not moving enough, simple as that! Have a great week ladies! :)

It's so good you've worked this out, not good that you've been stalling all this time, but at least now you can move forward and get those scales going down again. It's so disheartening when you KNOW you're counting everything right (as in food) but nothing is happening, at least now you know what the issue is and hopefully things will start to shift. :smile:

As I said to you the other day, I think a lot of these apps etc overestimate the calories burned, I see many people logging amazing burns for only a small amounts of exercise and I think 'surely that can't be right'.

It's a very personal thing too, as you've said you personally need to burn 800 a week in exercise, and stick to the 1200 a day in order to see results, and I think half the battle is working this out for yourself, as in, what your personal CICO 'magic numbers' are in order to keep that scale moving, and as long as you're eating properly and not starving yourself, then it's all good.

You are SO right! Personally, I didn't log anything but meaningful exercise (I would never log shopping or cleaning house etc) so I was starting to think I needed to go to the doctor bc I've been at 8lbs lost for what seems like forever. Granted, I don't have a ton to lose but I should still be losing weight, now I know why! I suppose if I stuck at the 1200 cals and was 100 lbs overweight then yes, I would lose just through diet. I have 20-30lbs to lose in total so for me, diet alone won't do it. I see a lot of people on the boards berating other users by asserting you will definitely lose if you stick to 1200 and I now know that is not true in all cases. I need to eat at 1200 AND exercise.

I am totally with you on this.
    My calorie allowance is 1200, which is what i try to stick to. I have never believed the burn numbers MFP has given me so i just dont eat back the calories given. The only time I allow myself to eat them is if we are having a special occasion.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    So it's been almost a week with my new Vivosmart and although I was sick for a lot of that week I have discovered something huge.
    My yoga workouts are spot on - 400ish calories BUT my ellipticals are HALF of what I have been putting in. I've been using my machine's number (bc it's lower than MFP) and it's still half of that. So, there's the reason my weight has not budged. Even though I am eating and weighing everything properly, I was not burning enough calories even at 1200 cals. Crazy right? :s
    So, this whole CICO is correct (to a point) but in my case I need to also burn about 800 calories from exercise a week to lose (on top of eating at 1200, hope I explained that properly). I am so glad that I have a complete picture of my food and exercise now.
    Now if I don't lose any weight it's because I'm not moving enough, simple as that! Have a great week ladies! :)

It's so good you've worked this out, not good that you've been stalling all this time, but at least now you can move forward and get those scales going down again. It's so disheartening when you KNOW you're counting everything right (as in food) but nothing is happening, at least now you know what the issue is and hopefully things will start to shift. :smile:

As I said to you the other day, I think a lot of these apps etc overestimate the calories burned, I see many people logging amazing burns for only a small amounts of exercise and I think 'surely that can't be right'.

It's a very personal thing too, as you've said you personally need to burn 800 a week in exercise, and stick to the 1200 a day in order to see results, and I think half the battle is working this out for yourself, as in, what your personal CICO 'magic numbers' are in order to keep that scale moving, and as long as you're eating properly and not starving yourself, then it's all good.

You are SO right! Personally, I didn't log anything but meaningful exercise (I would never log shopping or cleaning house etc) so I was starting to think I needed to go to the doctor bc I've been at 8lbs lost for what seems like forever. Granted, I don't have a ton to lose but I should still be losing weight, now I know why! I suppose if I stuck at the 1200 cals and was 100 lbs overweight then yes, I would lose just through diet. I have 20-30lbs to lose in total so for me, diet alone won't do it. I see a lot of people on the boards berating other users by asserting you will definitely lose if you stick to 1200 and I now know that is not true in all cases. I need to eat at 1200 AND exercise.

I am totally with you on this.
    My calorie allowance is 1200, which is what i try to stick to. I have never believed the burn numbers MFP has given me so i just dont eat back the calories given. The only time I allow myself to eat them is if we are having a special occasion.

This is what I mean, there are a lot of people on here who will tell you that you HAVE to eat back all your exercise calories, but I find that if I do the weight doesn't shift, so I stick to the 1200 a day (or thereabouts, i'm not bothered about a few cals either way) and I personally find this works for me.

As Jen said, I never count things like shopping or housework as exercise, exercise to me is something you actually make a concerted effort to do, yoga, running, the gym, cycling, what ever it might be.

I always leave a buffer of (exercise) calories uneaten each day for two main reasons -
    1) How accurate is the calorie burn? As we've said, the numbers for exercise vary so greatly that how can we be sure they're right, and if we eat them all back, as i've experienced myself and also seen on the boards, people end up getting nowhere and it's because they're not actually burning as much as they think they are.
    2) If i'm cooking I weigh/measure all liquids and food stuffs etc, but when it comes to my partner cooking he's quite creative and just likes to add stuff as he goes, and I can't follow him around the kitchen watching every single thing he does, and asking him to stop so I can measure a pinch of this and a splash of that, so I estimate it, and I allow for this.

It's finding what works for YOU, and ensuring that you're eating healthily in the process, and if that means I have to do more exercise than someone else to get the same results, and not eat back every single exercise calorie, then that's what I personally have to do. It's not a 'one size fits all' process.
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to leave a note here, I've joined in your fitbit challenge which is cool, because none of my other fitbit friends are very active, so it's great to have a bit of competition :wink:
    No exercise today and still hit 17k steps, feeling pretty tired tonight! Now time for some sleep.
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to leave a note here, I've joined in your fitbit challenge which is cool, because none of my other fitbit friends are very active, so it's great to have a bit of competition :wink:
    No exercise today and still hit 17k steps, feeling pretty tired tonight! Now time for some sleep.

well your keeping me on my toes :wink: I am loving the challenge.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Two days working from home, two days of getting a workout in - and hopefully two days of closing my diary under my calorie goal. Sorry I've not been particularly active on here - I want and need to do this but I need to give myself the kick to actually get on and do so. No more excuses!
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options

Glad to have you Tanya! You girls all rock! Giving me a run for my money! Love it!!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    @CariTJR;35192065 & @GillianSmith2... I never eat my calories back as well. I totally agree it is whatever works for you. I sit at 1200 calories and lose pretty good if I burn 350-400 calories a 5x a week... That's usually what I aim for at least.
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Woohoo down 0.5, tiny I know but it's a loss!!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    tazzy2911 wrote: »

Awesome!! Way to go girl!!! Keep on Zumba'ing! =)
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    tazzy2911 wrote: »

way to go. That is awesome :smiley:
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    I have had a great day, I have managed to get loads of steps in, and i have just finished 1 hour 40 minutes of kickboxercise class it was a killer but i loved it :)

Have a great day everyone and keep up the great work :)
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    I have had a great day, I have managed to get loads of steps in, and i have just finished 1 hour 40 minutes of kickboxercise class it was a killer but i loved it :)

Have a great day everyone and keep up the great work :)

Awesome lady!!! Way to go! Such an inspiration!!!
  • ShyCush6
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So I have been doing great on my goal, over 10K steps per day! Monday was a little short but that was it. I think I made up for it! Let's round out the week going strong girls!!
    Channing-tatum.jpg
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Way to go shy, that's great! Have a fantastic weekend!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    Hope you all have a great weekend!!!
    \
    5afa84761182098f0e046ea237e49be6.jpg
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I can't do the challenge with you guys because my Fitbit is a garmin vivofit. But I can say that I got over 14,000 steps today!
  • clippergear
    clippergear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Is there a group to specifically join or do you all just keep posting on this thread? And can anybody join who fits your criteria?
  • got2rockit
    got2rockit Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    good morning! I don't think I have ever posted on this board yet, but I follow it. You are all very positive! Here's my contribution for today... :)
    My workout partner cancelled last night and instead of doing something on my own...I was a couch potato. BUT...I didn't watch tv all night, instead, I read a book. AND, instead of eating a bag of chips, I had popcorn and just put some in a bowl. I did not eat the entire bag! I'm learning to focus on positive changes...however big or small...towards a healthier mind, body and soul :)
  • DoozerKat3
    DoozerKat3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good morning to everyone! I'd love to join this bunch if I may. I can always use a swift kick in the butt to get me off the couch.
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    I can't do the challenge with you guys because my Fitbit is a garmin vivofit. But I can say that I got over 14,000 steps today!

Great work on the steps, Keep up the awesome work :smiley:
    Is there a group to specifically join or do you all just keep posting on this thread? And can anybody join who fits your criteria?

welcome and Just keep posting on here.
    got2rockit wrote: »
    good morning! I don't think I have ever posted on this board yet, but I follow it. You are all very positive! Here's my contribution for today... :)
    My workout partner cancelled last night and instead of doing something on my own...I was a couch potato. BUT...I didn't watch tv all night, instead, I read a book. AND, instead of eating a bag of chips, I had popcorn and just put some in a bowl. I did not eat the entire bag! I'm learning to focus on positive changes...however big or small...towards a healthier mind, body and soul :)

Welcome to the group. Being honest with your self is absolutely brilliant, Keep up the great work :)
    DoozerKat3 wrote: »
    Good morning to everyone! I'd love to join this bunch if I may. I can always use a swift kick in the butt to get me off the couch.

Welcome to the group.