Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @Marnizzle2014 - Welcome! Come join in the fun, don't mind me, i'm just whinging about the weather and moaning about the price of gym memberships lol :smiley:
    @bluepoppies - Unfortunately not, in fact the only outdoor track near me is the other side of town, we don't have any indoor tracks around here (that I know of) but you'd think with the crappy UK weather we'd have loads haha.
    @zenjen13 - I am definitely going to look into the elliptical thing, sounds great, watching Netflix while exercising? I'm sold! As for shopping malls being open for walkers/runners, i've never heard of this before, but what a great idea, get fit whilst getting your shopping fix....sounds like my kind of running.
    @Shy -$10 a month? Woweee, that's like £7, my weekly yoga class costs that! The cheapest gym in this area is £20 ($29) a month, and the gym nearest to where I live is £45 a month ($65), it is a nice gym as I used to be a member, but that's a lot of money...
    I've never had a Girl Scout cookie.....i'll take your words for the fact they are something rather special and be glad I don't have to deal with yet another temptation lol.
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Marnizzle2014 - Welcome! Post often!! This is a great group!!
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @marnizzle2014
    I quit weight watchers a few years ago and I find MFP to be waaaay better! This app really helps you understand calories, just keep logging all of your food, and click on the nutrition button at the bottom of your diary to see how much sodium, fat, vitamins etc are in each food. Yesterday I entered brussel sprouts and it popped up "this food is high in calcium". I didn't even know that about the sprouts!! You will love the app!
  • teeking2
    teeking2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds good ! Add me please :-D
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

well its been a bit of a mixed week for me, We said good bye to a friend that passed away at the beginning of the year. He was only 48 years old and suffered a heart attack. It just makes you realize that life is so short and you really do need to look after your health.

So.... this week i have managed to up my steps each day.... The Fitbit challenge is really helping to keep me motivated, Thank you girls :smiley:
    I have been working on a new fitness class and tonight I have got my kickboxercise class.

My measurements are getting smaller :smile: although im at the weight i usually get stuck at for a few weeks which can be frustrating, but i will keep going and i WILL smash through it :wink: with weigh in day tomorrow i will soon see if ive managed it :neutral:

The weekend is very near so i will need to keep focused and keep moving as this is always the hardest time especially Sundays.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Gillian - sorry to hear of your difficult week. You are so right about the realisation that life is short and we really should look after ourselves and treasure life.

Enjoy kickboxercise tonight and congratulations with the dropping measurements - I'm going to try and focus on my measurements rather than just the number on the scale and see how I go.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @janetay01 thank you :smile:

I try not to measure if my weight does drop, and only measure when im stuck so that it gives me the boost I need to keep going.
  • indygirl217
    indygirl217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to lunch with some coworkers today to celebrate a coworkers promotion. None of my coworkers are health conscious or try to watch what they are eating. So of course, they pick the place with the best food but not the best with a healthy friendly menu. I don't want to get stuck just eating a salad because seriously, who does that actually satisfy but I don't want to eat something that is so completely unhealthy. Any ideas or suggestions? We are going to a Thai Food Restaurant.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @indygirl217 - try and steer clear of the coconut curry's, chicken satay is pretty good as long as it's not saturated in the sauce, avoid the deep fried spring rolls etc, if they have it try and go for the broth based soups for starters and maybe rice with grilled fish or something along those lines...hope you have a great lunch what ever you chose. :)
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Mall walking - maybe it's a Canadian thing bc winter sucks here? Check this story out for inspiration:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/woman-loses-240-pounds-1.3403676
  • bluepoppies777
    Options
    I didn't know that mall walking was only a Canadian thing! My parents are in their early 70's and go mall walking once a week. The mall opens early (not the stores, the bldg) and lots of cottonheads do laps. Warm and dry and no chance to slip on ice!
    Gillian, sorry to hear about your friend. It must have been a big shock, being so young. But as you say, this is part of the reason we are getting fit and eating healthier. Because, as my friend's Scottish dad used to say (imagine the accent) "Your health is your wealth!" It's so true!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I can see my tummy slowly getting smaller! still measures the same though :/
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I never heard of mall walking until I saw it on modern family!! :D
    Up a half pound this week but feeling bloated and horrible so hopefully it'll come off with some more nxt week!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    @janetay01 thank you :smile:

I try not to measure if my weight does drop, and only measure when im stuck so that it gives me the boost I need to keep going.

That's a great idea! I took measurements Tuesday and will be sticking with them. But I like the idea of only doingit when the scale won't budge!! ;)
  • ShyCush6
    edited January 2016
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    Mall walking - maybe it's a Canadian thing bc winter sucks here? Check this story out for inspiration:

We have mall walking here as well... It's a great alternative... Although I could see myself shopping more than I need! LOL!
    Amazing story too!! Love it!!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

well its been a bit of a mixed week for me, We said good bye to a friend that passed away at the beginning of the year. He was only 48 years old and suffered a heart attack. It just makes you realize that life is so short and you really do need to look after your health.

So.... this week i have managed to up my steps each day.... The Fitbit challenge is really helping to keep me motivated, Thank you girls :smiley:
    I have been working on a new fitness class and tonight I have got my kickboxercise class.

My measurements are getting smaller :smile: although im at the weight i usually get stuck at for a few weeks which can be frustrating, but i will keep going and i WILL smash through it :wink: with weigh in day tomorrow i will soon see if ive managed it :neutral:

The weekend is very near so i will need to keep focused and keep moving as this is always the hardest time especially Sundays.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, that's awful!
    I'm going out to lunch with some coworkers today to celebrate a coworkers promotion. None of my coworkers are health conscious or try to watch what they are eating. So of course, they pick the place with the best food but not the best with a healthy friendly menu. I don't want to get stuck just eating a salad because seriously, who does that actually satisfy but I don't want to eat something that is so completely unhealthy. Any ideas or suggestions? We are going to a Thai Food Restaurant.

I love thai food. Fresh Spring rolls are always a good bet. I get mine made with chicken and shrimp.
    zenjen13 wrote: »

I used to go mall walking with my Grandma a lot. It's a great option for people who don't have access to a gym. And it makes for a great social outlet, especially for older individuals.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling slightly binge-y in the evenings this week and I'm not quite sure why. So far I haven't caved in (I've been drinking a lot of diet soda to distract myself-not the best option but it works for a food delay tactic). I can't wait until it's not dark and freezing out so it's easier to physically get away from the house/kitchen!

This weekend we are going to celebrate a very late Christmas with my Dad's side of the family. Luckily they are all healthy eaters so no big concerns. I'm already planning ahead for Grandma's chocolate chip cookies :)
  • bluepoppies777
    Options
  • bluepoppies777
    Options
  • bluepoppies777
    Options
    I printed these two pictures off and they are going on my fridge when I get home!!! :)