Deer Antler

Options

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Deer antler is known as Lu Rong in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Primarily, it is considered to be a yang nourishing herbal component in Chinese herbal formulas.

Within the TCM herbal pharmacopeia, it is NOT used as a muscle bulking agent, and licensed practitioners, such as myself, groan at the ridiculous overdosing people do with single herb components for a purpose that was never intended. Happened with ephedra/ma huang, which is traditionally used in extremely low dosage to treat cold and flu symptoms. Similar stories with ginseng/ren shen, and countless other herbs.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    l5vb1Iw.jpg

The deer in the pic is a better actor....

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    As entertaining as this thread has been (thank you witty people!) I was hoping there would be some actual feedback from anyone who has used it because my son is using it. Some nasty tasting spray that goes under the tongue. So far he hasn't had any side effects (good or bad) but I was hoping for some experiences from others.
    What does he say he's taking it for?

He heard it would help him build muscle so he takes it before a workout. He's not convinced so I don't think he'll be buying any more since there haven't been any measurable results.

How old is your son? If he is still living at home why would you allow him to use a supposed 'supplement' without thoroughly researching it first? While this one might be relatively harmless, some of them can be quite dangerous.

I mentioned in my first post that he's 23. Owns his own home, is self-sufficient, and is not a child. He's smart. I trust him. This is just a silly thing he tried.

Has he tried bat blood? The only guy I knew who did the 'deer antler' thing also used bat droppings, ate no starches and did some amazing distance stuff like R2R2R and then his kidneys started to fail. IDK...maybe extreme ideas and extreme people end up in a bad place. Everybody does something silly at least once.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Deer antler is known as Lu Rong in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Primarily, it is considered to be a yang nourishing herbal component in Chinese herbal formulas.

Within the TCM herbal pharmacopeia, it is NOT used as a muscle bulking agent, and licensed practitioners, such as myself, groan at the ridiculous overdosing people do with single herb components for a purpose that was never intended. Happened with ephedra/ma huang, which is traditionally used in extremely low dosage to treat cold and flu symptoms. Similar stories with ginseng/ren shen, and countless other herbs.

Science minded people, such as myself, groan at woo like this.

• Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    That's okay by me. There is a growing body of research into Traditional Chinese Medicine that provides supporting evidence for what I do.

I do wish there was more research money available to do more with the herbal side. Most of the focus is on acupuncture.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That's okay by me. There is a growing body of research into Traditional Chinese Medicine that provides supporting evidence for what I do.

I do wish there was more research money available to do more with the herbal side. Most of the focus is on acupuncture.

I find it strange that tcm is suddenly being picked up by western audiences, while eastern audiences are only recently beginning to welcome western medicine. I guess TCM has value if it's a practice that has lasted for this long
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've hit two with my truck. Never tried gnawing on the antlers though
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've shot several. The horned ones, I mounted on the wall.
  • tcarp8
    Options
    :)
  • tcarp8
    Options
    I'd let you shoot me too
  • Derf_Smeggle
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Almost got one with bow a few years ago. Found out, the really hard way, I had a busted nock. Arrow fell out at full draw, and hit everything on the way out of the tree... :'(
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Almost got one with bow a few years ago. Found out, the really hard way, I had a busted nock. Arrow fell out at full draw, and hit everything on the way out of the tree... :'(

That is unfortunate! I got my biggest with a bow. Best feeling ever!
  • tcarp8
    Options
    Muzzle load hunter here
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    FYI, I generally look up supplements on Examine.com to see what science says:
    http://examine.com/supplements/Velvet Antler/
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Citation needed
    And the results are... it doesn't work.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/an-industry-of-worthless-acupuncture-studies/
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As entertaining as this thread has been (thank you witty people!) I was hoping there would be some actual feedback from anyone who has used it because my son is using it. Some nasty tasting spray that goes under the tongue. So far he hasn't had any side effects (good or bad) but I was hoping for some experiences from others.
    Doubt that you'll find any quality feedback on the subject here.
    I have read a lot on the subject in the past but have never given it a try. I would not discount it's ability to help with muscle gain unless I had actually tried it and made a judgement for myself. This sort of reminds me of the early discussions on creatine. Lots of skepticism but you won't find a serious weight training program that doesn't include it.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    What does he say he's taking it for?

He heard it would help him build muscle so he takes it before a workout. He's not convinced so I don't think he'll be buying any more since there haven't been any measurable results.

How old is your son? If he is still living at home why would you allow him to use a supposed 'supplement' without thoroughly researching it first? While this one might be relatively harmless, some of them can be quite dangerous.

I mentioned in my first post that he's 23. Owns his own home, is self-sufficient, and is not a child. He's smart. I trust him. This is just a silly thing he tried.

Has he tried bat blood? The only guy I knew who did the 'deer antler' thing also used bat droppings, ate no starches and did some amazing distance stuff like R2R2R and then his kidneys started to fail. IDK...maybe extreme ideas and extreme people end up in a bad place. Everybody does something silly at least once.

Deer antler...bat blood. Throw in a couple lacewing flies and I think you have the potion recipe for turning a kitty into a velociraptor.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

I find it strange that tcm is suddenly being picked up by western audiences, while eastern audiences are only recently beginning to welcome western medicine. I guess TCM has value if it's a practice that has lasted for this long

I believe that's a case of "the grass is always greener" plus the novelty of the 'exotic'.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Citation needed
    And the results are... it doesn't work.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/an-industry-of-worthless-acupuncture-studies/
    My understanding is that acupuncture or almost any painful sensation can work for chronic pain. Not for ancient Chinese wisdom reasons or any such woo, but simply because if you send a sharp pain signal, the body temporary stops paying attention to dull, continuous pain signals. The "step on your foot because you have a tooth ache" gag kind of treatment of pain.
    I haven't looked at anything recent, but I know there have been medical trials of devices that create pain at intervals as a form of treatment for people with long term and chronic pain conditions.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Doubt that you'll find any quality feedback on the subject here.
    I have read a lot on the subject in the past but have never given it a try. I would not discount it's ability to help with muscle gain unless I had actually tried it and made a judgement for myself. This sort of reminds me of the early discussions on creatine. Lots of skepticism but you won't find a serious weight training program that doesn't include it.

Except early consensus of creatine users was that it appeared incredibly effective. I haven't heard any deer antler users reporting similar success.

And I disagree that we have to personally try every single thing to have an opinion on its efficacy. That's...ridiculous.

And this reminds me...I need to reorder creatine.