Could you spend a day without any sugar?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    But why?

Yes ... this.

Why would a person want to cut out all sugar?

Maybe it makes them feel bad? Maybe they like to experiment? Sugar is fun to eat, but no one will suffer ill health without it.

I guess I just like fruit and veg too much to even consider it.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    But why?

Yes ... this.

Maybe it makes them feel bad? Maybe they like to experiment? Sugar is fun to eat, but no one will suffer ill health without it.

Dat diabetics insulin shock tho'.
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Could I? Absolutely not. At least if we are talking all forms of sugar. Could I give up added sugar? Sure- for a few days even. If I don't eliminate things like maple syrup or honey, I could go even longer. I try to be aware of how much added sugar I consume, and it's definitely too much, but I've also made quite a bit of progress.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I got sugar FOR DAYS!
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not, there's no need.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Not frequently, but I have. It's usually largely a meat day with cheese.

Most days I am at or below 5g of sugar. (Gasps of horror :# LOL) It isn't hard to hit 0g of sugar, but I prefer a few veggies in my day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    i know that eating meat would allow this - i learned something new - thanx
    but you can't have the honey sliced ham i love so much ! - sugar !
    shoot - not even a slice of cheese to go with it - sugar !
    life would be very, very complicated

Am I misremembering? I thought you were anti processed food?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But why?

Yes ... this.

Eating no veggies isn't good for you. Yeah, there are ways to make up the micronutrients (although I suspect they aren't as good), but the vast majority of people who mostly cut out veggies don't actually eat lots of organ meats and the like. (And the traditional Inuit diet, while not keto, doesn't compete with the blue zone diets anyway.)

So claiming eating no veggies is perfectly healthy seems inaccurate.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But why?

Yes ... this.

Eating no veggies isn't good for you. Yeah, there are ways to make up the micronutrients (although I suspect they aren't as good), but the vast majority of people who mostly cut out veggies don't actually eat lots of organ meats and the like. (And the traditional Inuit diet, while not keto, doesn't compete with the blue zone diets anyway.)

I think this is more of an opinion than a proven fact.

I do eat veggies. I like them and think they are good for me, but I'm not sure that eating no veggies has been proven harmful for people.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think the better question would be, why would you want to spend a day without sugar? Nope so wouldn't want too! Now a day without chocolate... Nope not that either
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Technically meat has tiny amounts of naturally occurring sugar in it. Not enough to label, but since this thead is kind of an academic exercise, now you know.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    isn't keto about not eating any sugar? - i really don't know

not specifically, but with a <50g carb limit there isn't usually a lot of sugar involved.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    7g of carbs in a day - 15-1116-TommyTappar-20151116-00010IMG_5717.jpg
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am normally under on sugar 95% of the time without even trying, just due to my preferences, but totally elimination would require far too much admin. I am not a Lion.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    7g of carbs in a day - 15-1116-TommyTappar-20151116-00010IMG_5717.jpg

mmmm keto pr0n
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But why?

Yes ... this.

EVERY nutrient in vegetables is available elsewhere, vegetables are not the only easy source of life sustaining nutrients. Eating no veggies is not bad for you, you just need to increase familiarity of nutrient content of other food sources to make it easy and healthy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Could I go a day without ingesting sugar? Sure...I could drink only water for 24 hours I think...So I could go without a lot of things for 24 hours...I would say I could eat only meat for 7 days if it was some sort of challenge... Not sure what that proves though...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I could go a day, week or month without eating sugar. I wouldn't, but I could.

My body, however, could not function if had NO sugar in it. Bodies require sugar to continue living. If you ate no carbs, they'd make their own sugar.

We cannot stop sugar from existing in our bodies, even if we eat 0 carbs.

Since there is going to sugar, anyway, I don't see the point of refusing to eat it and forcing my body to make it's own. I like veggies. I love fruit! I love bread. I'm not giving up carbs or sugars.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I've read about these zero carb diets. It's so not for me, but this woman has a blog on it after being zero carb for many years www.myzerocarblife
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've read about these zero carb diets. It's so not for me, but this woman has a blog on it after being zero carb for many years www.myzerocarblife

The thing is, even though it's minute, she isn't "zero carb" either. She eats eggs which have .6 carbs per egg. That's just one example.