Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ Love the trams. They are so colorful. Question: Why are there so many wires over the streets? Are the trams run on electricity?

Margaret, Rori, and N.C. Carol ~ Healing thought for your loved ones.

DH left early to work in his antique booth at Scotts Antique Show. This is only one weekend a month but I think he is getting tired of it. It takes a lot of work packing, unpacking, and packing again. The traffic is terrible. And, unless he has gold or silver to scrap it is an iffy way to make a living. He does not deal in furniture but mostly specializes in what the dealers call "smalls" which includes crystal, porcelain, and collectibles. This show is in two huge buildings in S Atlanta.

Going to my son's this PM to keep the grand kids so the parents can go Santa shopping.

Good wishes to all.

Carol
  • Getupngo66
    Getupngo66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good Friday to everyone and thanks for the welcome. Feeling great about switching to MyFitnessPal I love being able to make food choices based on actual nutritional information instead of ambiguous points and finding this nice group of women has been a nice perk :)

I'm married 25+ years with a son away at college a daughter almost in high school and a wonderful fur-baby mutt. I help out in the church office a few mornings a week and knock around the house the rest of the time... it's a new season in my life... my parents have been gone for years now (I was their caregiver) and with the kids growing up so quick i feel like i've been in a holding pattern while waiting to see how life with older kids unfolds... the jobs around here don't pay much for my light clerical skills so volunteering makes the most sense right now... anyhow i look forward to getting to know you and sharing this adventure!

-Rosa
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    z7us2pcfzxbl.jpeg

Thank you. I love to draw and paint. I copy from free copyright books that I buy. I hated art at school, I couldn't do it. I only started drawing 3 years ago and now I can't stop.

I would love to see some artwork from other people on here.

Best wishes everyone.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Penny - Beautiful picture of the moonlight! Thanks for sharing.

Heather - sorry to hear about your husband not feeling well. The pictures of the trams are great. I love the colors. It would be great fun to live in an area where you could hop onto one. Thanks for the adventures!

Margaret - i'm glad that your DH' S biopsy went well. We are still praying that everything turns out well.

Carol NC - thank you for the update on Alex's situation. He is in our prayers. The plastic surgeons do amazing things.

Lillian - enjoy your day!

Carol Peach - enjoy the time with your DGK's! I love it when I am able to spend time with mine.

Rosa - Welcome! This is a great place to get support and motivation! Having adult children does take a little getting used to. I retired early at 55 and am still trying to figure out what to do with myself. That was three years ago!

Elaine - I love your artwork!

We did not get our snowstorm last night. Mostly rain that turned to a dusting of snow. We still could get up to 1 to 3 inches over the weekend. I hate driving though because the rain turned to ice on the roads and up here they do not salt or sand like they do down in the cities. Today I will catch up on household chores and do my kettle bell swings.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I love the doggie photos by the tree. :heart:

Heather: I'm so sorry your DH ha a tummy problem while on vacation. :sad: I love the photo of the trams. What a great transportation system! Portland has a similar looking mass transit system, but it isn't very flexible. It hauls people in and out of the center of town from Hillsboro to the west to Parkrose on the east but doesn't do a decent job serving communities on the north/south axis. :grumble:

Elaine: Thanks for the lovely get well boquet! I am feeling a little bit better today. :flowerforyou:

Penny at the Pole: The photo is beautiful. I can see why you love living there. :bigsmile:

Margaret: Praying for good news from your DH's biopsy. :heart:

Rosa: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

I feel better than I did yesterday but not great. DS and DDIL really want us to come up for the weekend. The roads seem to be open after the storm. We'll see how DH is feeling when he gets up. He has come down with this, too. I don't think they are in a position to postpone for a week but that would certainly work best for us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Katla - I hope you and your DH feel better!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Hi gals!
    We got on the tram in the second pic, which is multi coloured and blingy :) We went to the end of the line which translates as Golden Pond! ! There really was a huge pond, but we didn't find any gold. :laugh: ,then turned back and got off at a little village that looked like something straight out of the French countryside. We wandered about in the middle of the afternoon while everything was still closed for lunch (!) and came across a funny little Christmas market in the town square. A vendor gave me a sniff of his black truffles! He had a stall full of mushrooms.
    The town seemed to be full of hairdressers.
    So, having discovered where the middle classes live in the suburbs we got back on the tram and came back and bought a chicken from the market to roast as DH thought that would be easy to digest. Bought a cauliflower to roast with it. :D We both are feeling our colds quite a bit, but DH's tummy is holding up so far.

Tomorrow we are booked in for two walking tours - one in French :ohwell: of the very ancient school of medicine and a later one in English of the Jewish medieval baths and a Hotel Particulier. That doesn't mean a hotel, it is a big aristocratic town house, like a small chateau. Neither of these places is open without a guided tour. I will read up on the school beforehand so I can pick up a few words. Hope they don't speak too fast.

Carol/Peach - yes the trams do run on electricity. That square is just outside the main train station so it is a major interchange with all the trams crisscrossing each other. On a normal street there is just a wire.

Got to put the oven on!

Love Heather
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Heather – I found myself laughing when you spoke of the rigid queuing system in France. I remember how amazed I was at the polite queues in England and how no one jumped a queue when I lived there. Of course, this was… umm, er,… more than 40 years ago. I guess times have changed.

Sylvia and Lisa – I have been thinking about your discomfort in standing to be recognized as veterans. I do understand your reluctance because you are so aware of the sacrifices made by people who were in combat and you were serving in relative safety. However, you made it possible for those people who were in danger to do their job and come home. Please stand up proudly and do so in remembrance of those who are not here to stand up for themselves.

Penny – I am so not fond of cold and dark that I find it hard to even imagine living where you do. However, I must admit that the picture of the noon day moon is lovely. It makes me want to visit.

Pip - love the dog pictures

Mia in MI

December goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

• Peach1948
    Options
    This beautiful song was on my Facebook page. It's Mary Did You Know!

http://www.faithtap.com/5044/peter-hollens-stunning-a-cappella-rendition-of-mary-did-you-know/
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    i always advise an oil on any hardwood, tung oil used to be the best, but it's hard to find around here. Most of the wood oils will do pretty well. With pine or soft woods, I'd use a stain and then an oil. I almost never use varnishes, just because they're so hard to redo--so it's a furniture refinisher's answer. With an oil, especially if you use a super-fine steel wool in between three or four coats, you will get a nearly impervious finish that, if it gets water marked or something like it, you can sand down and reapply as necessary.

Also - please note that refinishing can seriously diminish the value of a true antique. I pick up non-valuable pieces and try to turn them into things of beauty, seldom actually work over an antique unless it's on its last legs...

I'm just wondering about the very top of the table. When we put plates on with warm food underneath it became white like the wax or varnish discolored. I would like to remove that and seal it. However, the stain is uneven, darker in some areas in really light in others.

<3 thanks for any input!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! The morning is getting away from me, I'm afraid. A new audiobook has me sitting and listening more than doing. I'm listening to Elizabeth George's Suitable Vengeance. I love her books but they are so deeply detailed that you have to listen carefully to really get it all. I'm up to the 7th Stephanie Plum book but found that our online library doesn't have that one, so I will have to actually GO to the library and check out a book. If I can even find my library card. Haven't used it in so long.

Today I HAVE to get the place cleaned up for a child's birthday party here tomorrow. 10 eight year olds. Should be fun. They are making plates. Better get busy.

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • Peach1948
    Options
    I see my link did not work. If you are interested, it is Peter Hollins on Youtube singing Mary Did You Know a cappella. Lovely!
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Peter Hollens
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! I have to admit that last evening I went on an eating b*** big time. No excuse I did it without thinking. Just wanted something. So picking myself up and starting a new day. One day at a time.

Allison--I get tried just reading all you are doing. I hope your trip goes well and you get to relax.

Becca--I love that movie (the 1947) one. Also have to watch each it It's a wounderful life. I feel for you and your toe. been there and done that. Not fun.

Beth--Sorry to hear about DS and school. Pray things get worked out and he can attend college at some point.

pip--Your furbabies look so cute and all ready for Christmas.

Penny--Beautiful picture of the moon.

Lisa--The trip doesn't sound like a good idea by yourself. Is there anyone that would go with you? Glad you decided not to go. Good Luck with the local sales.

Heather--Love the trams, they look like they would be fun. I am beginning to think you need to at least try a pair on and post a picture.

Carol--Praying the surgery goes well and keeping Makaela in prayer also.

Margaret--Keeping you and DH in prayer and that the results are good.

Going to be another beautiful day in the 60's. I get off at 3 today, so hoping to go home and get some decorations put up outside. But taking a nap is a good idea also. Just not getting enough sleep at night. Seems I am up several times to go to the bathroom or because something hurts and have to move. Have a good rest of Friday and check in again later.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

December Goals
    1. weigh less end of the month then at the first.
    2. log my food, every bite
    3. Take each day as it comes.

• cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Becca - just wanted to say OUCH for the toe. That sort of thing can wreck your day! :flowerforyou:

Mia - it is incredibly well organised! When you walk in to the ticket office a scary lady gives you a ticket with a number. She gave us one for an English speaker. Then you go and sit down very comfortably and wait for your number to come up on the screen with a booth number. You find your booth and are talked through all the ramifications of your ticket - seniors, time of day etc. Saves standing in line for ages like you do in the UK. :D

Nearly ready for dinner now. :D Will have to go carefully as I used a lot of calories on my afternoon snack and didn't walk off so many today. I'm not trying to lose, just maintain, but it's still a struggle as we like a glass of wine.

Love Heather
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

annr - sorry, just pip my name on a piece of paper, or better yet a pic of a bike for your tree :0)

exermom - i normally don't "pray" when planking - While there's nothing wrong with doing a modified version of traditional plank, when you are in "prayer mode," while balancing on their forearms, it isn't good for achieving great posture. Locking your hands into a fist causes the upper back to round and the shoulders to hunch in, when ideally, you want to stay open and flat with the shoulders stacked directly over the elbows

barbiecat - like your furniture pics.

bwcetc - you can come over here and make breakfast for me, i'm only one person!!

thanks fanncy! my kids are in competition for the ladies!

miriamwithcats - we had to get one, kirby is originally from indiana.

lagopus - thanks! those frames are in fashion and i am the picker of his hairstyle, eyeglasses, hair color, clothes etc.. he's my ken doll. i had him put those on and i was like, wow, i like that look... i got him another pair that are kinda like the others that are really as minimal as possible becuase i love his face, so i was in heaven for the month that he couldn't wear any glasses at all lololol. i will still sit down and just stare at him sometimes and when he catches me, he says, "didn't anyone tell you it's not polite to stare?" i tell him yes but he's too cute not to. i love your pic!!! very purdy..

grit - now that bicyclist was just a dumb as# !

I normally don't do the elliptical machine (don't like it) but decided to do it for the long arm swinging motion for the shoulders benefit. with that and riding and carrying the backpack, my shoulder was hurting. that tells me (unfortunately) that I heed to do that one more often. already took a pain pill.

excited for tomorrow. convinced Kirby that we will be taking the wheelchair with us. with the drinking and potential for unstable walking if you know what I mean, I would feel like I would have a better time and less stress for me. he thought we would look silly w/us just walking around the city with an empty wheelchair. I told him if it makes him feel better, he could put on his neck brace so it was more obvious that the chair was for him and he is periodically walking for exercise. sooooooo. now that he is going to put on the neck brace, I can put some Christmas lights on his neck brace!!!! how fun!

type to ya later
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

I have started numerous times to respond this week, and I end up having to close my computer prior to copy/paste to this site, so everything has been lost over and over again.

Becca – It is my uneducated opinion that your nail will not tighten up, but will eventually fall off. From experience, I find it easier to remove as much of the nail as is already pulled loose, then keep a nice snug wrap on it until the new nail starts to fill in and pain is reduced. Yes, the chlorine is likely to sting, too. Hugs ! ! !

Mindy – because of my arthritis, that travels around my body, I don’t always do a perfect plank, but I do my best. A few months ago, while doing side planks, I only lifted my hip bone off the floor, but the skin was still touching the floor. Now I can get my body off the floor. It’s all about baby steps. I also can still only do push-ups on a surface that is a little above waist-high, but I still do at least 10 per day (more if I’m feeling energetic, and if my RA isn’t in my shoulders or elbows). Yesterday I used the handbike for 11 minutes instead of 10. When I finished I had “muscle fatigue” but not pain.

Right now my body is trying to convince me to eat some of the mixed and candied nuts that one of the vendors brought as a Holiday gift. I’m struggling to say no. But, I want to put a sticker on today, for not cheating, so I’m going to keep distracting myself. At times like this it is easier said than done. It has been a crazy week, and I apologize to all of you that I have been absent. I also am not yet caught up on reading, so hugs and prayers to everyone this week and today ! ! !

DS did well at H.S. bowling recently. 79% fill on Saturday and 93% fill yesterday. His teammates call him Doctor Clutch (most of them have been his friends for years, so they tease well together). Now, this past Sunday was a different story. The Sunday league has 18 boys and 2 girls and is VERY competitive; but NONE of them could bowl worth a darn, so they all started going teenage boy crazy. They would burp in each others ear, leave a bad lingering stench on the lanes, applaud loud and obnoxious when someone would finally get a strike, etc. Eventually, after someone burped in Payne’s ear, he walked onto the approach for his turn and licked everyone’s bowling balls that were on the rack. The next boy bowled his entire approach with his middle finger in the air pointing at my son. My Dad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to fall off his chair. I think the high score for the day was 182, but they all had fun ! ! !

Now my lunch break is over, so I have to get back to my paperwork. As soon as DH replaces the battery in my laptop I can read and respond from home.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where it was record high-tying 57 yesterday and 46 today)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Good luck Pip and Kirby! <3B)

Heather