Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Kim, good reminder on the power strips and turning off the things we aren’t using. I’m sure I could save some noticeable cash if I started doing that.

Joyce, I couldn’t be married to a man that dominating, either. Glad it works for your sis. I was wondering about Carol NC also. I hope the holiday blues didn’t get to her.

Katla, my friend that just had the hip surgery has what look like knitted or crocheted dish rags. I know she buys them and doesn’t make them and they really work great.

Allison, as always, my heart just goes out for you! I can’t believe Tom won’t even talk to you. He could at least let you know what he is thinking. I wonder why he is so different when you aren’t around? Is the house in Florida one that ya’ll own? If so, why would he get it and not you? Just curious. Do try to enjoy your last week there if it means doing your own thing. (((Hugs)))

Elaine, I hope your Mom has a good Christmas as well as you.

Lisa, so glad you are all better and starting back on the road to what you know works for you. (((Hugs)))

Terri, congrats on all your stickers. Glad that system works for you. Keep it up!

Katla, it’s raining here too for the third day in a row. Our yard is once again a soggy mess. It is hard for the kids to find a spot to do their business and not be in water up to their ankles….well for the Toy, it is up to his knees in spots. Lol

CarolGA, I had not seen that when trying to go to a profile page. That is the pits. I knew when they went to a paid option that we would get less and less for free. smiley-sad012.gif (later)Becca was right. I clicked on the name when I got to that screen and it took me to your profile. Woo hoo.

Rori, so glad you felt well this morning. I can’t wait to hear how you like Star Wars. We don’t go to the movies any more. I might go once every year or two with girlfriends but DH won’t sit that long.

Kay, a huge CONGRATS on losing over Thanksgiving. Keep it up!!!

Mary, what a cutie!!! What is his/her name?

Vicki, how wonderful that your DH doesn’t have a tumor. I know you are both so relieved!!!

Barbie, I know you are glad that you only have a couple of more days of inactivity. I’m sure it hasn’t been easy for you but it sounds like you have done great.

Terri, great picture. I collect snowmen but not sure your Frosty would fit on one of my shelves.

Beth, I’m with you on having some thoughts about the “trinket” Joyce was supposed to get for herself. Ppffttt

MicheleNC, I hate that you (I should just say “we”) let our DD’s get us so stressed trying to make everything perfect when they are here, when they obviously don’t care. And that we get so upset when they leave all in a huff or whatever. I can’t imagine they try to be so mean and uncaring but surely they know. ?? Just try to enjoy the visit and realize it won’t be perfect no matter what we do. ((((Hugs))))

Karen, what a wonderful Christmas present to you and your DH. Charleston is very, very warm this week so hope you enjoy!!!

I’m still not caught up but maybe tomorrow. Today I took a dear friend to lunch for her birthday which is tomorrow. We exchanged gifts and she got me a beautiful red sweater with red sequins all over it. I tried it on when I got home and it looks great. Now I’m hoping for some cold weather. I’d love to wear it to Christmas dinner but I’d cook. I think it’s supposed to be in the mid to upper 70’s. I’m sending the best, strongest, longest, greetings for a wonderful Christmas day weather you celebrate it or not. I love you ladies and don’t think I’d have made it through this year without you.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    7w90cr341da7.jpg

Gee, I don't know if Cracker's picture will show up or not. I find that when I click o the inserted picture I usually have to reduce it. I still don't understand how to attach these stupid pictures from windows 10.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Hey, yeah, it actually worked. This is a totally spoiled, rotten, Grinch-footed, shadow, "Cracker". She's destroyed 2 of her 5 or 6 toys beyond repair; plays with them very roughly.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Karen - have a real great time in SC

Rori - we now found out that it was DENISE who called the airline (who made the change from 1 to 3 at the Greensboro airport) and for no added fee they were willing to let her change to Charlotte airport. Seems she wanted to get home earlier. God forbid she spend an extra 2 hours with us, that would be horrible. We'll remind her of this when she asks how much we're going to pay for her wedding. Wouldn't it be something if her flight was delayed and she in the end wound up not leaving until 3????? But I doubt that will happen.

Even Vince said "boy, Bryan is really screwed up". I honestly think that the therapist deserves to talk to me, too. I only met this girl once, only met her parents once, and we let him go off to Europe with her. It was my car that he borrowed to get his visa to go to Europe this last time. I never said that I didn't want him to go to RIT and then when he decided to go to Elon, I never said that he couldn't. In 4 years, I only went to see him once; so I don't think I was overbearing while he was away. So where is this coming from????

janetr - how I love your holiday. Enjoying it so much with you all.

drkatiebug - my car is 8 years old with about 128,000 miles on it. Personally, I like the features that it has. But I know inside that when it starts nickel and diming us, we'll replace it. But I'm not in any hurry.

barbie - I, too, have cried at the loss of every car I've ever owned. Congrats on the new Ford

Joyce - I'm Catholic. I'm a eucharistic Minister and a lector at my church, along with helping to count the collections 4 times a year. As much as you deserve that armoire, if I were in your position, I probably wouldn't get it. Sounds to me like you've really thought this whole thing out.

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited December 2015
    Two more Christmas decoration pictures; but, between my excitement of getting Cracker's picture up here; I forgot what the H3ll I did to get it here. Maybe you can click on the pictures and they will show up for you. One of my macramé tree; and looking at my fireplace. Let me know if they do show up. Otherwise, I will have to go back to square one and try it again.

Forget this ... did not show up like Cracker's pix ... one day I will learn how to do it and write down the stupid directions.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Lenora - cracker's is so cute! Shep is my puppies name. Not very original since he's a German Shepherd, but my DH named him after his childhood dog.

Kim - that is an awful Christmas memory for you! (((Hugs))) I wish you lived closer and you could celebrate with me.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,588 Member
    Grits - loving the macramé tree! Great idea. The stockings are lovely too. Cracker looks a cracker barrel of fun!

In the middle of another sleepless night. :'( Never mind. I always say, it's not as if I've got to operate a jumbo jet in the morning! :D But my sleeping hasn't been at all good recently.

Michele - I always think our children are a law unto themselves. My DS#1 may or may not turn up on Sunday, after I've disrupted DH'S family plans and visits for his sake. He may go home early and he will probably spend quite a lot of time in his room, or, as he puts it, "having a bath". I suppose he'd rather be doing something else. That's ok. I didn't want to see my parents much either. Not until I grew up and thought about someone else instead of myself. That took me until around 50, so there's hope yet! I would not like to have his psychological problems or his life and feel very sorry for him. But you can't do it for them. I just try to let him have his own space and do his own thing and think what he wants to think. We all have our own story to tell ourselves.
    "Selfhood begins with a walking away and Love is proved by letting go."

Will try to sleep now.

Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Heather - glad you you thot of me while you enjoyed your spinach pie :)

Lots of noise, laughing, talking and LOUD going on here. Joyce you just may get your wish. I'm lovin' it.

Later edition: After reading all of your posts and being sad for some of you for the hurt and tears you are experiencing, I felt I wanted to share. My daughters and all six grandkids are absolutely the light of my life (right behind the love of my life, Jack). BUT the are NOT perfect. They sometimes do things that make me shudder to think about. They make choices that make we wonder what they heck they could have been thinking. BUT I love them anyway and they love and respect me and for that I am grateful. We are good friends, I give advice when asked (sometimes when not asked). I don't nag on it, I don't insist on it, I offer it and then they make their own decisions, right or wrong. AND I love them anyway. They are not perfect and for sure I am NOT perfect, but they love me anyway. I certainly have made mistakes along the way raising them by myself, but it was always done with love for them even tho I may have later realized it was a mistake. Love is unconditional. Thank, God.

And I love you all and so appreciate your caring and nurturing for each other and to be included in all of that brings me much joy. Good night. Merry Christmas eve. <3

Janetr OKC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,745 Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm crazy busy at the moment.
    Family arriving after lunch. :)

Only up to page 42 :astonished:

:star: Merry Christmas Eve :star:

w81hz7cecq7u.jpeg

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited December 2015
    Carol in NC - Hope all's well...

Kim from N Cali – Abusers seem to have an even harder time keeping it together at the holidays. Had an awful lot of holidays ruined as a child that way. I’m glad you’re no longer going there. Proud of you for owning and logging the food. Yesterday was my first day logging in a long time, and it feels good!

Heather – the Christmas quiz sounds like a blast. One of my good friends from the writer’s group does a Christmas lights scavenger hunt each year, with 50 items. Makes driving around town looking at the light shows that much more fun, when you have to find items like one luminaria, two snowmen with pipes, that kind of thing. I hope the ex’s news is better after the holidays.

Mary from Minn – Shep looks like a real cutie, and your DH looks blissful.

Vicki - glad for your good news!

Karen from NY - hope your romantic weekend is awesome…

JanetR OKC – is there anything better, ever, than the sounds of joy? Love that! Soak up every moment of joy and laughter that you can.

Barbie – glad you found a vehicle… you’ll have to split it down the middle and put each of your causes bumper stickers on each side to balance things out.

DJ – thanks for the hugs, gratefully accepted!

Lenora – Cracker looks like tons of fun!

Becca – your current picture (not the one with the black eye, before that!) looks joyful, much more happy.

Started writing, but everything I was going to write to y’all I put in my newspaper article this week, so I’ll just paste it here--and the Christmas Carol jam was a blast, and no, we didn't take it on the road, just closed up the coffee shop and yowled to our heart's content:

Considering Christmas, compact cars and kinfolk

I don’t usually write date-oriented stories revolving around specific celebrations or holidays or anniversaries. Oh, not because I have anything against them, but because it would mean I would have to know what day it is today in order to know what day it will be on Thursday, which is when this will be published in the paper. I know that doesn’t sound hard. It is.

However, for once, a looming holiday didn’t catch me unaware. Possibly because I have a date between when I’m writing this and Thursday, when it goes public, to go caterwauling, I mean caroling, on Christmas Eve Eve.

Yes, that’s the eve of Christmas Eve. So, if you recently heard a cacophony of what sounded like a bunch of long-tailed cats in a roomful of rocking chairs squalling about Santa Claus, Mary and Jesus, it was just me and the incredible bunch of folks I call friends. They have no shame, which would be one of the many reasons I love them.

If we suddenly develop a social conscience and decide not to traumatize the larger population, we will probably just rock the rafters over at The Garage with holiday cheer and leave it at that. Might be less traumatic than roaming the streets of Fort Stockton and competing with all the feral cats. Who would probably do a better job of “Santa, Baby,” than I did.

Our Christmas plans are, well, kind of nonexistent. One of the hubby’s 11 brothers and sisters will be by, with wife and youngest of their three daughters, but not until the day after Christmas, when they’re on their way back from elsewhere.

We do hope to see the grandbabies this Christmas season, weather permitting, and if there is anything better than that, I haven’t figured it out yet. It won’t be on the day, but numbers on a calendar matter very little to me anymore. And the littlest one doesn’t know or care.

We gave ourselves an early present, though we didn’t make the car salesman happy. Took my little tiny compact car in and swapped it over for a used pickup truck, of pretty much the same value, if not vintage. Did negotiate the taxes we’d pay, but honestly, there’s no sport in paying face value at a car dealership.

I loved my Cruze, and the whole 33-plus miles per gallon thing was amazing… but considering that we live on a ranch, and it would pretty much high-center if I ran over a slow-moving quail, it was time to get a truck. My six-foot-tall (ish) husband had to do self-origami in order to drive it, and getting in the seat after I’d driven was very nearly life-threatening for him.

But, the little car served its purpose, and got us through a year and a half. And then got us into this pickup with no payments, which was pretty much all we wanted. Which tells you, as you get older, not going into debt becomes more and more of a priority. Looking back at what we’ve done for Christmastime, it’s easy to see we’ve embraced a more frugal lifestyle. Or you could just say we cheaped out this holiday.

Gifts for the kids were limited to pounds and pounds of pecans and a nutcracker, since there was no way I was cracking all those dang things. Sent my best friend the pecans without the nutcracker. When I asked her if she wanted some more, she said “No.” Wonder why? I thought the dirt that was included was just an added bonus.

Gifts for the grandbabies are going to be afghans; one’s already finished and one will be by the time we see him. A few dollars’ worth of yarn, many hours of time, and all the love in the world go into them both. At one time, I would have felt really inadequate because we didn’t buy more stuff for them, and there have definitely been times in the past when we’ve overspent. Not this year.

All that said, our son John’s in Montana in the Air Force, oldest daughter Kelsey’s in Missouri with the Army, and there will be a part of me that mourns on Christmas day when they’re not here. But the rational part of me knows they’re with their own families, doing what they ought to be doing, and that alone is a blessing. Some folks aren’t as lucky.

I’m thinking out loud it’s not a new sentiment, but nonetheless true: Every single moment we spend with our loved ones is the most precious gift.

Treasure each second.

I know we will.

Merry Christmas from the ranch!
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi everyone! I'm a newbe! I just turned 50 in October & never felt better. Every day trying to meet my health & fitness goals. I'm a stay at home mom of 5 girls. Three at home. My husband & I have our own irrigation & landscape business that I do all the paperwork for. We also plow snow. I live in Muskegon Michigan. My workouts include turbo fire, turbo jam, 21 Day Fix, & running. I recently became a beachbody coach because I love shakeology & the programs they offer plus helping others reach their goals as well. Merry Christmas oh & id love to add some friends to my list :-)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi all!
    I've been clearing my bedroom/study for DSIL on Monday. Washing bedlinen. DH is quite unconscious of this activity. I hope to get him to sort out his study and make the bed for his younger daughter. ;) The guest room is already prepared. I definitely have been having the feminist grump this Christmas, but some of it has born fruit. :D
    I hope we will at last get the pictures up in our newly decorated kitchen. Also got to load up presents we are taking to London into a couple of big boxes so the living room can be cleaned. Luckily my cleaner is coming this afternoon. I must say I was surprised!

I'm going to text my ex today to send him my sympathies for his illnesses. He is properly fed up. All the family are going over there today so he will see both our boys and the grandchildren. He has two children of 13 and 11 from his second marriage so hasn't been a very active grandparent. #1son is there over Christmas and hopefully coming to us on Sunday. Trains willing. :*
    I would email my ex, but he never reads emails. :ohwell: He is one of the world's worst communicators and it's not just me.
    In quick succession he has had heart, liver and kidney serious problems. The heart is sorted, but not the others. He believes he is going to die young. :'(

Love to all. Don't know what we're having for dinner. I think I might have lost my pesky pound. :drinker:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    Good Morning Ladies~
    well my friend Mary called me around 20 after 6 last night and asked what I was doing, well I was watching White Christmas ,but asked what was up she came and picked me up and we went out on the golf cart with a bunch of other residents singing Christmas carols! it was fun... grumpy boy stayed home, and of course he was all pissy when I got home because the Florida room wasn't locked but he was the last one through it..go figure....
    will try and figure out how to post from facebook they took my grandaughter to see Santa at the mall, and got some adorable pictures... today is another pool day.. and tomorrow too, I will make deviled eggs for the pot luck tomorrow afternoon, will call cousin Paul and we will go out with him and Toms uncle Bill sometime this weekend...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    :heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Hello all.....has been a while since posting. See many thing I want to respond to....until starting to do it...... :s slap myself up along the head !!
    Mom was in extended care,then to a nursing home of her choice. Was considered one of the best & she had visited friends there.At different times,she had 2 Sisters & Dad's great aunt in same place.She was loved for her friendly,caring,helpful ways
    & had many friends all her life. Didn't stop the home employees from stealing everything she had.Seems to be a common thing in nursing/extended homes & the boss admitted it can't be stopped.

When DD was a student nurse,she saw an aide bend over to check under a bed.Her uniform pants went ripppp & her
    under pants had a patients name in 2" letters across her rear.

DH had a light case of virus,then it got mad & came to visit me. Has been well over 6 wks.Dr says a virus,no meds,just get thru it. :'(

No real appetite,but that is not a problem.Noodle soup works for me. Have lost 3 1/2 pds.Didn't ask nurse how long it had been since weighing there.

Our only GRdau was here last wk from Fl.She had a wk of use it or lose it days off from work.We had a great visit.......she is like our "other daughter" <3 We will have family here for Christmas Eve........then tomorrow will be a quiet.....do what we want day.That means ph calls from family,our calls to them,reflecting on the yr past......reading,maybe finding a good movie on TV. Being glad we turned down an invite to Son I Laws Sis.They are nice ppl,but her house will be packed all day,noisy,etc.......as ours was when DDs were at home.Been there,done that. We are just old fogies who appreciates peace & quiet. :) Almost forgot,DD is bringing the food thus eve. No idea what,but no problem....no cooking <3

Bkrimpet,your tree is so pretty.

We have a small tree here in living room & a table top with a few decos & cards. Didn't do the big tree & think we will give it away.
    Temps have been near 70 & continuing thru Sat.Like being in Fl B)
    My wish for all is a Merry Christmas & a Happy Healthy New Year. Pat
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Good morning beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Add me to those who love this holiday! I love all the busyness, the parties, the buying and wrapping gifts, the decorating, the sparkly lights, the friends and family gatherings, lots of joy and even more laughter!!!

I understand those that are feeling blue too, I have been there. I'm sending you love and hugs! I know it's hard :'( .

I wish I could have you all here for the holidays, know that I keep you all in my heart!

Merry Christmas dear friends to those that celebrate, and to those that don't, I wish you a wonderful day filled with love and joy!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in soggy warm NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,124 Member
    :) Jake and I both got up early this morning..maybe excited about the new car. When I turned on my phone, I found a text from the line dance teacher saying that she had to cancel class because she was playing too close to her miniature poodle and she got bitten on the lip. I was sorry that she was injured and also sorry that this happened on the one Thursday when I couldn't step in and substitute for her.....and yes, I was momentarily tempted to abandon my "week of no exercise" and then sanity returned. Having class cancelled means that I can go with Jake this morning to the bank to get the titles to the two vehicles we traded in and go with him to the Ford dealer to take the titles and the other set of keys to the two vehicles and look in the one place in the Edge that I forgot to clean out. Then we can go to State Farm and make the change on the insurance. He would have done all that by himself while I went and sat at dance and spent time with my friends, but he is happier that we can go together.

:) When my grandmother was in a very nice nursing home in the 1980's, my dad visited her every day and my mom and I each went once or twice a week. I had just bought a house with a laundry room and had my very first washer and dryer so I did Grandma's laundry for her. I'm sure that cut out the possibility of clothing being taken and our every day presence to visit allowed us to take inventory of possessions regularly.

:)GRITS, Cracker is darling...I'm glad you figured out how to post the picture.....also loved your holiday decorations.