Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2015
    Pip34 - We put one of our trees, upside down and out on the small porch which the door stayed open most of the time; because of our youngest one who would do just about anything to get up in one. One year, when they were in HS, we got a real tree and because my DH was working out-of-town; I got the boys to help me get it in the house, touched the ceiling so we had to cut a little off the top; then they would not help me get it straight in the stand. It made me so mad that I literally drug it out of the room, through the kitchen, and threw it across the carport into the boat. When DH came home the boys laughed and told him what had happened. That year, they decorated it and I did nothing. Now I don't put up a tree except the macramé tree (after this year). Not enough room to put one since we have the treadmill in front of the front door we don't use. That's where I put it last year. This is just much easier. Have decided I will go through my decorations and put them in 2 different boxes and gift them to each son next Thanksgiving. I might hold out the 'angels' and put them on the macramé tree or set up a small one and put them on it, with no lights; but, next year might put the small tree in the glassed-in porch (if DH gets it finished by then).

DH just put a DVD in the player and it won't run it ... is so pissed; means he has to watch the 2 'chick flicks' I got (unless this is one of the other ones he rented). Sometimes loading a good one will allow us to load the one that wouldn't play and then it will play.

Sylvia - I thought the 'wife' was an 'ex' - am I mistaken?

NO_Excuses - I will check next week when I go into town with Pet Smart and see if they have them. DOGD bought a couple of toys where you put a plastic bottle in it and said their Boston Bull Terrier destroyed it within about 15 minutes and then took the one away from lab; so she put it in her kennel so she could drive JAX crazy playing with it. Also bought Luna another toy that had a tennis ball on the end and JAX chewed up the tennis ball and she took it away thinking she might choke on it.

My DOS's first wife lost all 3 of her girls; one came to live with her Daddy at the age of 14 (age of consent in GA); the other 2 DFACS took them and placed one with her paternal grandmother (who really did not want her to live with her full time; but, she had been staying with her because of her Mother's situation. She lost the little one to her boyfriend (father of the child). She's done absolutely nothing she was ordered to do in order to be able to get them back. Before she went to jail the 2nd time she had been receiving $1700+ in food stamps a month (or that might have been the total of her welfare check). Living in a converted motel turned into apartments (full of drugs and prostitues - and she filled both of those requirements). DOGD has absolutely NOTHING to do with her. Even when she did, she would not go into the apartment at all. Living with another drug addict. When DFACS took the youngest one away, they contacted her about taking her. She gave them her Daddy's information and told them she could not do it because she was a college student.

I think a whole lot of us have problems with our children, or 'in-laws' which makes this time of year difficult for us.

Right on the dot with my daily 'caloric intake' and now DH has made a pan of brownies. I don't think I can resist eating just one little piece. LOL!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Heather ~ Love your kitchen. It looks so clean and cozy.

Katla ~ Is that a view from your window. It must be wonderful to live so near the water.

I am experimenting with cooking my 5 lb sirloin tip roast. I found this recipe where you heat the oven to 500 degrees, season the meat as you wish, place it in the over for 10 minutes per pound, and then turn off the heat. Do not open the oven and leave it in there for another 10 minutes per pound. Crossing fingers that it works.

Carol
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited December 2015
    :# In my family we put up the tree shortly after Thanksgiving (in the first week of Christmas) and took it down before the New Year (throwing out the old before the new came in). In DH's family they put it up on Christmas Eve and left it up until the "Epiphany". I won out on that one. :*

Heather - love your kitchen. DH is supposed to paint our walls in the kitchen when I decide between 4 colors. I like the darkest one the best; but, I am sure that I will wish that the cabinets are white when he gets it done. I'd really like some extra cabinets to go around the window there. Right now we have a wire rack that only causes the room to look a bit messy. I wish we could change out the counter tops to something other than a dark hunter green. Popular color when we built the house over 15 years ago. Would like to change the porcelain sink out, too. It is so stained I have to clean it with cleanser just about every two days or so. Dishwasher needs to be replaced, too, before it stops working. The arm that carried the water to the top rack is broken and sometimes I have to get down on my hands and knees to empty it. DH will usually empty it, except if he had trouble with the top rack. GGggggrrrrr!!!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2015
    Carol: Yes, this is the view from my bedroom window. We really love living here. The bedroom is directly above the living room and the views from both places are lovely. We count ourselves very lucky. The photo on my ticker was taken several years ago early on a fall morning from the deck. :heart:

30881843.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,039 Member
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    Sylvia ... Horrible situation ... But that hubby of yours is a true gem! Hugs to you and a big bear hug to him!

Heather ... Beautiful kitchen!

Michele ... Joyce had good advice! Pause and let the message of the Christ child soothe your soul. You are loved!

Carol nc ... Hello there!

Joyce ... You have a lot of expenses ahead. I understand your reluctance to purchase the jewelry armoire ... But just so you know ... You are SO worth it!

Pip ... Love the photos.

Ok ... I've forgotten the rest ... Need to go put some things together, but will check back later ...

Beth near Buffalo ... Where the sun is shining and I have the windows open ?!?
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Lisa - Amen, sister, amen.

Sylvia - So, so sorry to hear about all that's going on with you, your son, and your grandchildren.

Allison - I have to agree with the advice others have given about looking after yourself and your own interests. You're so kind it may be really tough for you to put yourself foremost (for a change!) but we're all rooting for you and think you deserve a better life.

Heather - I love the kitchen... I'm so envious... Oh golly gee to have an essentially monochromatic color scheme with blue accents... (thus speaketh she whose husband is colorblind). The spare, utilitarian look also appeals to me. I have no patience with fussiness and stuff. About the brandy butter, just do it. It won't take but five-ten minutes and then it will be out of your hair.

We've had a nice quiet day. Went to the Christmas Eve service at the church, which they always try to arrange to broadcast live by video link to the Norwegian research station in Antarctica (where they have midnight sun this time of year - what a contrast!). There's something magic in knowing that we're celebrating Christmas together, from pole to pole.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif and the South Pole too, if only in spirit.

• Katla49
    xkpxizptjmjv.jpg

Trying to put in a photo of my dog.
  • Katla49
    Success!!!!!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Katla - That picture made me laugh. Very cute.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Good afternoon!
    I am listening to "Nine Lessons and Carols" from Kings College. The best bit of Christmas. Always starts at 3 pm Christmas Eve when the solo boy chorister sings "Once in Royal David's City" from the chapel porch. :D

At last I can send you photos of my newly decorated kitchen as we managed to put up our pictures this morning. I am happy with it. :D

5p8xffywxzoi.jpg

oohix7l3y7p5.jpg

It's basically the same as it was except we have had the island unit painted blue and the back wall. Also I changed the pictures round and much prefer them that way round. The windowsills used to be dark brown varnish and are now white. :D

All done now except for the brandy butter.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Love Heather in Hampshire UK

I think I drooled a bit when looking at these pictures! Love the clean lines, and pops of black and muted colors here and there!
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,588 Member
    <3<3<3<3<3

Going to bed soon. Alarm set for 7 am. My hair is washed, my brandy butter is made. :D

On the kitchen table you can see the blue glass salt and pepper that I bought in Montpellier. On the stove there is a little gleam of gold, which is the tiny sugar sifter and ladle I also bought there. Happy memories! :D

Love Heather UK
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    I remember what I forgot...

Lisa ... It has been a pleasure these past few months reading your posts! I love that we have you and others (Heather and Penny and Barbie to name a few) who eloquently put thoughts to print.

And to those of you who have less than Christmas card perfect memories of this time of the year ... I'm thinking of you and hoping that this year you find yourself creating beautiful, love-filled memories that replace the old.

Beth
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @Katla49 Well I looked on Google map street view, and the one I think it is, is located on 17th and Grand Ave. But there are amazing homes all thru Astoria.
    Becca
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Beth... Thank you! And Merry Christmas...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,039 Member
    Score!! Our new smaller (6 feet) fake pre lit tree for next year! Regularly $99.99, got it for the low low price of $19.99!!!
    6mvljq9ovejb.jpeg

Old tree is7feet
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    Heather~ lovely kitchen.. so beautiful...
    well I am going to attempt to get in my jammies and watch White Christmas..
    went out for an early dinner after going to the pool for a couple of hours.. then to the beach to watch the sunset, cloudy so not much of a sunset..
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful beautiful healthy Christmas,,,
    will check in in the a.m.<3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    We are being lambasted with rain. 3 1/2 inches in about 2 hours. Yard looked like it was a river running through it; and standing water puddled in places at least 4" or more deep. Guess we won't do any showering, washing clothes, or maybe even flushing the toilets until it goes down some. Still hasn't stopped storming all around us.

Watching a DVD and the darn thing started sticking right at the end. Don't know if it is the disk or if the player is going bad. Such a PITA when this happens ... doesn't do it all the time; but, especially on the movies that DH wants to watch.

Kids are not home from in-laws house; and the road is washed out in places; but, neighbors apparently were able to make it home.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS