Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Wow Pip way to go!!!!

Cheri in NE Ohio
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Have a Merry holiday everyone!!! ((((Group Hugs the LOT of you's!!!!)))))))))

Becca
    Loving life and lovin you all
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Heather: Your kitchen should be in a magazine. Gorgeous! I love the deep window sills over the sink for growing herbs.

Katla: Your snow is heading towards me. It’s already dumping in the mountains about 40 minutes uphill from me. Should be in my porch tomorrow.

Sylvia: You are strong, but I think your DH is right about hiring people in the future for deep cleaning jobs. Agree with the others about getting those kids out of the deplorable conditions.

Barbie: Congrats on the new car. Our 2001 Subaru runs great and is so reliable, but because I drive rentals, I get smitten by the new car bug just about every month. So far, I haven’t had to act on it.

CarolNC: Good to hear from you.

Our one television went kaput this AM. My DH is addicted to TV, and has never learned to use the computer for music, so the TV is also his ‘stereo’. Either news, sports or music is on constantly when he is here. I suspect the 6 year old set is on the fritz, and it’s not an issue with the cable box. We’ll have to wait until Saturday am for a tech to come out. All efforts to reset the cable box remotely were in vain. I’m personally delighting in the absolute peace and quiet. Tonight I’ll just reflect on the year and the real meaning of Christmas. We don’t have a tree or presents or festivities, but I do have you my friends, and you give me so much to be grateful for.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Goals for December and progress to date:
    • Try 5 different you-tube workouts. Done.
    • Eat mindfully. Done, even tho some of the mindful choices were crappy.
    • Smile more – act like I enjoy the holidays. Still trying.
    • Embrace the changes at work. Aggghhhh. Long way to go.
    Word for 2015: Mindfulness
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Hello everyone! It's been a wonderful Christmas eve here. We took the doggies out walking at the nature trail and it was 60 degrees! In December! The END of December. Unbelieveable!

At noon we went to give the kids their gifts. That was nice, and to be honest I was glad not to have had to eat there. The kids seemed really happy with their gifts. Funny, though, the little guy's favorite was a big book of dinosaurs. He was sitting there reading out loud. He pretends he can't even read, and he was reading big words about dinosaurs. Silly boy. The oldest was stunned when she opened her big box and found out it was a sewing machine. She actually squealed! The middle DGD loved her camera tripod that goes along with the camera her dad got her.

So, later, we took them all out to eat supper. Even my son and his wife went. That was very nice.

Now I'm sitting in my recliner typing on my new computer that santa brought me. It's one with a touchscreen that flips around so you can use it as a tablet. I love it so far.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sylvia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Me, my two daughters, my six grandkids, oldest daughter's two step children, (they were three and five when she married their dad and they raised them), step granddaughter's husband and thier three children ( my step great-grands) and step grandson's fiance. So much fun. They came to visit today as they will be with other family tomorrow. ldmthlccpq3p.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,468 Member
    Was going to do Jillian Michael's DVD only it didn't download correctly (I thought there was a problem with the download) so instead I did this 45 minute Cardio and Weight DVD.

Heather - thanks for telling me that it took until you were 50 to start thinking of someone else. So maybe there is still hope for Bryan. To me, it's just so sad that he's so screwed up. I'm honestly thinking that his therapist wrote this note and not him. You would think that after 30 years he could at least spell my name correctly. and in the note it talks about how he couldn't wait to go to "university". Here in the US you'd say that someone went to "college". These things lead me to wonder if Bryan wrote this or his therapist.

mommylern - welcome!

DeeDee and NCCarol - can you BELIEVE the rain that we're getting.. Actually, Vince is geting concerned about the septic. I do have to wash dishes at the minimum once before we have dinner. Perhaps I will be able to wait for the Christmas dishes to wash them tomorrow. This just reminds me -- so many times I've told Vince that I want to seed most of the backyard, primarily the area above the septic drainage field. He keeps telling me that we had it done once (didn't take, it was mostly his fault but I won't say that and there's no way he'll ever admit to it. The fact is that I lived in an apartment growing up and he lived in a home so he has more experience with growing grass. We always had someone else do it. Well, I followed his advice and we overwatered it and then he had us rake up the hay which made us rake up some of the new grass, too. But he'd never admit that he had us do the wrong thing. Not in a million years.) Now he says that it was just too much to water the entire backyard so he wants to do it in small sections. Personally, I'd like to get the whole backyard done. We'll see who wins at this.

Jess and Colby went shopping. They asked Denise to go with them. When I asked her why she didn't want to go she said "I don't care to go with Jess' boyfriend. He'll be gone next year anyway so I don't care to get to know him". I just said to her "well....you never know". Not that I think this is a serious relationship, but who knows where it'll go? I do have to say that he has some of the things that I think Jess would look for in a guy. I think she wants someone like her father. I am afraid that her father has set the bar a bit high. But anyway, Colby is really into computers (like Vince), he likes Star Wars/Trek. Who knows what next year will bring? Why not make the best of what you have this year? I don't know how handy he is around the house. But then again, I need to tell Jess that Vince really wasn't real handy at first, either.

Chris - it's been really warm here, too.

NCCarol - wonderful news from that orthopaedist. Vince had cataract surgery and loves it! Admitted, he was very nervous at first, but now he is thrilled he had it done. Will you be getting the second eye done also? After they took off the bandage for the first eye, Vince's comment was "when can we do the second one?"

Heather - lovely kitchen. Looks like you have lots of storage space, which is so vital in a kitchen.

Sylvia - so happy that your hubby gave you such a special Christmas present.

pip - loved your trees, especially the animated one.

katla - I can see where Bryan is playing "the blame game" but wouldn't a compitent therapist see thru all this? I'm wondering if family relationships are different in europe than in the US. I really don't undersand a lot of this letter, like the phrase "since a certain moment in my life"...well what was that moment and how do I know when it is? Since my name was misspelled (after 30 years, I would think Bryan would at least know how to spell my name) and there was reference to "I was counting down the days until I went to university", in the US we refer to college, not university. Which is one reason why I wonder if in fact Bryan wrote this. It probably does contain his feelings, or what the therapist feels are his feelings.

Margaret - sending good thoughts for your hubby

Penny - In a way I'm envious of you. To be living at the North Pole especially around this time of year!

Lenora - we were starting to get concerned about the amount of rain, too. Fortunately, the septic didn't back up. I think it's only happened twice since we've lived in this house. I really want to get grass seed down especially on the drainage field.

Got 2 emails from Bryan saying that he's thinking of us and hoping we have a good Christmas. Just sounds so different from that letter that he "wrote". I'm really suspecting that the therapist wrote it. It just doesn't sound like him.

Rori - being addicted to the television, I'm really surprised that your hubby doesn't have multiple TV sets just for this time (when one goes out). I'm so grateful for everyone here, too.

janetr - lovely family.

As usual, Denise was very uncommunicative. Jessica fried the pierogi, Colby made the mashed potatoes, he even asked at the end if there was anything he could do. My own daughter never offered to help! I thought that was very nice of him. Admitted, I was just washing some of the larger dishes, but it was still nice of him to offer.

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Linda, how dare you stay away from us for so long. Welcome back. It sounds like you have this Christmas thing down to a real celebration. Good for you. Don’t stay away any more.

Barbie, congrats on the new car. I’m just not ready to be a one car family even though there is usually at least one in the driveway. I hope you like your back up camera better than I like mine, but I have to say that the Bluetooth is my favorite thing in my car.

Mary, I have to say, I never heard of anyone getting a new puppy because their car died, but whatever works for you. Lol

Heather, you said, “I didn't want to see my parents much either. Not until I grew up and thought about someone else instead of myself. That took me until around 50, so there's hope yet!” smiley-laughing014.gif I picture you as being mature and level headed from an early age. Our kids sure can get us going, can’t they?

Janetr, so glad your house is full of noise and laughter. That is the way I picture a perfect family holiday. Enjoy enough for most of us and feel free to share any pictures and stories.

IrishTerri, Enjoy your family and the holiday!!!

Lisa, love the article!!! Hope your Christmas is as much fun as your Christmas Eve, Eve. (((Hugs)))

Mommylern, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often. We ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Allison, if I were you, I’d try to leave “grumpy boy” at home alone every chance I got. Glad you enjoyed the caroling, it sounds like fun. Keep having all the fun you can. (((Hugs)))

Pat, so good to see you. Sorry you’ve had the hanging on virus. Don’t be a stranger.

DeeDee, so good to see you here, too. Can you believe this heat? Have a great Christmas. ((Hugs))

Barbie, I’m so proud of you for not taking over the line dance class. I know you were tempted.

CarolNC, soooo good to see you. I was beginning to get worried. Congrats on your progress with the shoulder. I love your mud puddle snow man. It took me a minute to see it. I grew up in the very southern tip of Texas but can’t remember the last time I spent an 80 degree Christmas. I hope you have a good one!!! ((((Hugs))))

Heather, the kitchen looks wonderful. I love all the light and all the space around the table.

Sylvia, I can’t believe the time you had at your son’s. And yes, about that wife. Good grief! I think I’d have to take that dog and find it a new place to live. Obviously no one takes it out to go to the bathroom. I’m sure it pees all over the apartment, too? I hope you feel better and try to have a good Christmas. (((Hugs)))

Pip, you are so right, that even though you had a terrible loss, you have a wonderful guy now and lucky he is still here. I hope the two of you have a wonderful Christmas!! (((Hugs)))

Katla, I hope you enjoy your Christmas on your own and wish the snow will stay if that is what you want. (((Hugs))) Love your view!!

Margaret, sending healing thoughts and prayers for DH and ((((Hugs)))) for you. Have a Merry Christmas.

Penny, that is cool to have a service from Pole to Pole.

Sylvia, glad the day turned out nice for you. Enjoy that new computer!!!!

Janetr, great picture of a beautiful family.

Michele, I have to agree that it sounds a little suspect that Bryan actually wrote the note. I hope you have a good Christmas and for a day, think of the good times. ((((Hugs))))

My dear friends, I do send the warmest most loving wishes for each of you and your loved ones to have a very special day. ((((Hugs))))to any that want them. For those that celebrate it I wish a Merry Christmas. I love you all.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • littlebutton2
    littlebutton2 Posts: 1 Member
    Annr wrote: »
    Good afternoon!
    I am listening to "Nine Lessons and Carols" from Kings College. The best bit of Christmas. Always starts at 3 pm Christmas Eve when the solo boy chorister sings "Once in Royal David's City" from the chapel porch. :D

At last I can send you photos of my newly decorated kitchen as we managed to put up our pictures this morning. I am happy with it. :D

5p8xffywxzoi.jpg

oohix7l3y7p5.jpg

It's basically the same as it was except we have had the island unit painted blue and the back wall. Also I changed the pictures round and much prefer them that way round. The windowsills used to be dark brown varnish and are now white. :D

All done now except for the brandy butter.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Love Heather in Hampshire UK

I think I drooled a bit when looking at these pictures! Love the clean lines, and pops of black and muted colors here and there!
    Becca
    Annr wrote: »
    Good afternoon!
    I am listening to "Nine Lessons and Carols" from Kings College. The best bit of Christmas. Always starts at 3 pm Christmas Eve when the solo boy chorister sings "Once in Royal David's City" from the chapel porch. :D

At last I can send you photos of my newly decorated kitchen as we managed to put up our pictures this morning. I am happy with it. :D

5p8xffywxzoi.jpg

oohix7l3y7p5.jpg

It's basically the same as it was except we have had the island unit painted blue and the back wall. Also I changed the pictures round and much prefer them that way round. The windowsills used to be dark brown varnish and are now white. :D

All done now except for the brandy butter.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Love Heather in Hampshire UK

I think I drooled a bit when looking at these pictures! Love the clean lines, and pops of black and muted colors here and there!
    Becca

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Peach - it is hard to have a parent so vulnerable. My mom is just starting to experience memory loss. My sister just moved her into her house.

Chris - enjoy Christmas with your DS and family! I wish we had your warm weather! We just drove an hour on glare ice.

Sorry this didn't post earlier!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,588 Member
    :sad: Sleepless again!

Just checking in with you folks instead of letting my head whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :sad:

Sending lots of seasonal love to everyone, especially those with troubles or who are lonely at this time. Wish I could give you a hug in the real world. <3

Will try to check in at some point today. :DB)

Heather UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well it is almost Christmas day, only 40 more minutes! Christina and her DG are at his Mom's house for his side of the holiday. I almost want to be an invisible mouse and have a peek in and see how they do everything. I do know his Mom is not a cook at all, his sister was a vegetarian but after marrying, changed that and they have a precious 2 year old. But from what I can tell from what Christina tells me it is much quieter at the other grandma's house. I don't think I could take that. I want and love the chaos! I have had several people suggest that we have each child open all of their gifts at a time so we can see them and give the children an opportunity of the gift of saying saying thank you to each person. The way it is now when you have 33 people open presents in my family room, there is enough wrapping paper and boxes that you wonder if you lost a small child in there.

My sister and I went to Christmas eve service tonight. We are southern Baptist preacher's kids and have always gone to Southern Baptist churches, except when I go to Christina's church which is non-denominational. So this church tonight is a Methodist church. They do things a little different than we do, definetely more formal but what was said was what we wanted to hear and the choir and music was wonderful. They had 3 services and we chose the one who had part of the orchestra. They have a very well known organist and a huge organ in the church and it was so beautiful. One single violinist played Silent Night as we sang it. My sis and I always hold hands and sing Silent Night and tears are jsut running down our faces because of the beauty and the meaning of the season. It just signifies to us that after all the hustle and bustle and gift buying and wrapping and the tree and the cooking and planning that Christmas is finally here and we can concentrate on the birth of the Christ child now. Leave everything else alone. I think it helps us that we don't have out family celebration until in January so that that Christmas eve service can jsut soak in and carry us through as long as it can. We will have a simple meal tomorrow with her husband, Charlie, Michelle and myself. They have a very long beulevard not far from them that is always lined with luminaries and wonderful light displays. So after church we always go up and down that street then just sit in her driveway and talk, then hug and cry and kiss goodby. I don't know how I could have gotten through Dad then Mom dying without having her here with me. Yes, my DH and Michelle are here but a sister is something special.

Penny, I love the idea of broadcasting your service to the other pole. Wish we could have that kind of unity from nation to nation.

Sylvia, my heart cries for you. I wonder if you called the SPCA about the conditions the dog is living in if it would take the dog and at least your DGC wouldn't be living in animal feces. It's just as much neglect for the dog as it is for the children. No wonder your son is depressed. He must feel like a failure and that the load is just to much to handle. It must have taken a lot for him to cry out to you for help. Now to the matter of the 'wife', I will not let myself even think of words to describe her. Is she thinking if she is living there and he dies that she will get some money? Just keep on holding yourself and know the shining light you are to those grand children. If there ever was a person making a difference to a child's life it is you. I worry about all the angina you are having. Take care my friend.

Katla, you get to look out at that view every single day???? And then also have you family of hummers coming to see you also. I bet your blood pressure must be good.

I know I have missed so many, but that's what happens when a person with ICRS reads 3 pages and doesn't make notes because it takes about 2 hours to read, write notes and then type it all. So I miss some of you.

Oh, Heather, you sneaky woman. You tried to take a page out of a magazine and tell us it is your kitchen. o:) That is beautiful. I love the old put bellied stove. What is that on the wall in the first picture below a window. Is that an old radiator? Love the farmhouse sink.

Joyce, Indiana. Merry Christmas to all my friends here. May you have the kind of day that you wish to have and if not, wrap your arms around yourself to receive my hug to you.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Janet, great photo of family.

Love to all.
  • janetr7476
    Janet, great photo of family.

Love to all.

Thank you Miriam. Have a wonderful day with your beautiful family.

Janetr
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,742 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    I remember what I forgot...

Lisa ... It has been a pleasure these past few months reading your posts! I love that we have you and others (Heather and Penny and Barbie to name a few) who eloquently put thoughts to print.

And to those of you who have less than Christmas card perfect memories of this time of the year ... I'm thinking of you and hoping that this year you find yourself creating beautiful, love-filled memories that replace the old.

Beth

That has been my policy over the years. To create special memories that our family can share. This is my tree this year.

t315khtagcbb.jpg
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Thinking of you all on Christmas Day. Your presence in my life has truly been a gift! Hope it is wonderful for everyone.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    ncmi9lp3phyr.png

HAVE A BLESSED CHRISTMAS DAY FROM GEORGIA!
  • janetr7476
    MERRY CHRISTMAS <3

Janetr
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,977 Member
    Good Morning and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate..
    Tom and I have been out for our walk already.. he got me a beautiful card and a GC for walmart.. and now he is ticked at me ,because I read the card, beautiful and then he signs it from the dogs... so how do I take it? that the dogs love me? and he just felt obligated?
    Geesh well I will not harp on that, waiting to call my youngest DGD and find out what she got for Christmas...
    73 and humid out ,but we will be at the pool later and have to be at the rec hall around 4:30 this afternoon ..
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Expecting DOS and his family (less his oldest daughter) should come down shortly to open presents. Cracker surprised me yesterday when she went out into the yard with standing water. She won't go out in it; but, yesterday afternoon she did go out while it was still misting; maybe, soon she will not mind going out into it. I don't expect for her to go out when it is storming. We had a bolt of lightening hit while she was in her bed resting; she looked up at me as if to say, 'what was that? ... it scared me'! Yesterday she slept right under DH's chair the entire day.

With all the rain our glassed-in porch had a leak (or so DH said, I could not see it) and have no doubt he did. Got to figure out where it came from. Hopefully, roof is not leaking; but, could have been the rain gutter backing up; it was pouring down the gutter ends at both ends of the house. So that was actually just 1/2 of what was falling; the other have goes down the other drain at the other end of our house. But, glad that we had them put on the house to keep the rain from getting under the house. He's got to crawl under the house to make sure there is no standing water underneath it. Don't know what will need to be done if there is. Possibly digging a trench and putting in a sump pump. I think we already have a water vapor under there. Need to put bags of lime (???) under there about 5' apart to soak up the dampness.

DH cooked breakfast for me this morning as well as yesterday.

Sure miss going to 'midnight mass'; but, last night I would not have gotten out in the traffic no matter what. Our neighbors called and said that the road was washed out (running water over it). When we called MGD to wish her a 'happy birthday' told them to be careful coming home, especially down the dirt road in front of our house. I'm sure that the 'red sand' that the country put on it several months ago finally got washed off this rain.

Sure hope the sun will come out today. I don't think I can stand another day of rain. I think we got nearly 5" (more or less) of rain in the past 2 days. Beginning to feel quite waterlogged.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Lenora