290 to 178 in 10 Months! (w/photos)

Replies

• DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Very motivating and inspiring! Thank you for posting the pictures because they really illustrate your journey. I started out at 304 and am currently at 274, so I have a long way to go and to hear about another person's success story gives me hope that I can accomplish the same. You look so youthful, healthy and happy in the later pictures. Bless you, and good luck as you continue your amazing transformation!

Thank you for your kind words LisaMarie! It's easier than hope! You just have to make up your mind and do it. What an excellent start you have! I'm sure you're dropping sizes already AND have better mobility. As they weight drops, everything becomes easier, good habits form... stay the course and you'll achiever your goal sooner than later! Thank you again and best wishes!
  • lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    "This",… sharing details about my 10-month weight loss journey is NOT something I typically do, especially in a public forum! But a wonderful friend recently reminded me that sometimes I have to put myself "out there", so here I am! I'm not here to brag or boast; instead my purpose is to encourage/motivate just ONE person to do this… to jump in with both feet!

century_loss.jpg

On January 3, 2015 I weighed 290 pounds. My health was failing; blood pressure was through the roof and daily headaches were commonplace. My fitness level and quality of life sucked (for lack of a better word). At 290 pounds I struggled to do much of anything, let alone exercise! Even sleeping was uncomfortable; snoring (because of my weight) caused me to awake in the morning with awful headaches! It was time to lose weight.

Initially I thought that 250 would be a great starting goal. Hey… for the past 30 years I weighed at least 250 so it sounded like a reasonable number to me. During the first 3 months I only lost 15 pounds. Although I was trying to eat healthy, I wasn't tracking my food and was getting a little frustrated with my results.

On March 25, at 275 pounds, I joined MFP and as they say, the rest is history. When you're diligent and (a) faithfully/accurately log your food intake and (b) remain below your calorie goal, you WILL lose weight!

Over the course 7 months I ate EXTREMELY healthy grossing 1200-1400 calories / day. I exercised very little in the beginning (mostly due to lack of motivation and inability) BUT, as the pounds dropped and I saw success on the scale, I found myself exercising more frequency until it became a daily occurrence a few weeks in.

I followed NO DIET PLAN except what made sense to me! I ate mostly whole fruits and vegetables along with lean protein (typically, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and fish). I made substitutions where possible such as Almond Milk in place of traditional milk, and eliminated virtually all processed food from my diet! I even tried to make my own Almond Milk but found it to be a huge pain in the *kitten*, and OMG… what a mess!

One of the largest factors for me was cooking large quantities of food on the weekend. By having wholesome, hearty food available in the fridge during my busy work week, I had NO EXCUSE but to eat healthy. I also kept fresh (and frozen) fruit on hand for a quick snack. It's surprising how great fruit tastes after a couple months of avoiding junk food!

I never believed in "cheat days" however I did take two vacations over the 10-month period that set me back a little bit. That said, I was able to get back on track immediately which helped immensely.

Goals? As the pounds disappeared I kept lowering my goal… 250, 225, 210, 200, 190, 185, and finally 180… After 10 months I dropped below my ultimate goal and nobody was more surprised than me! 112 pounds in 10 months with a waist reduction of 46" to 30"… I didn't even think that was possible! I've been fluctuating between 178-182 for the past 6 weeks and I'm satisfied with my current weight. I began weight training when I hit my ultimate goal in hopes that I could tone up, if just a little. I'll never be that "ripped 20-year old" BUT, I'm happy with my progress so far! Blood pressure is normal, I'm sleeping great and have no health issues whatsoever. I even passed a comprehensive Life Insurance medical with flying colors last month!

MFP Friends? Look for friends with a positive attitude that have similar goals to you and are serious & dedicated about losing weight (or maintaining as the case may be). Share (healthy) recipes, stories of diet, fitness and exercise, what works for you and, what doesn't work for you. Work with your friends… inspire and motivate each other. You really don't need hundreds of random acquaintances. A small number of close friends has served me well during my weight loss process and we continue to inspire and motivate each other to remain fit.

It's important however to remember WHY you're losing (or maintaining) weight… for YOURSELF! MFP friends will come and go. Maybe, if you're lucky, one may even play an integral role in your success but… NO MFP friend can prevent you from making poor eating choices. The occasional treat is fine but, if you're getting close to your daily calorie goal, please stop for a second and reconsider that "caramel/cheese popcorn" before eating it! The decision to eat healthy is ultimately yours and ONLY yours. If you think about yourself first, you don't have to look… happiness and success will find you!

I wish nothing but the very best to everyone and your weight loss journey. Any goal IS achievable, you just gotta believe and jump in with both feet! Weight loss is NOT hard work BUT does require dedication and devotion. If just one person finds this inspirational, my only hope is that it's "YOU"!

D.

You were a good looking guy now you are sexy. Awesome post very inspiring

• lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    You were a good looking guy now you are sexy. Awesome post very inspiring
  • DogRiverDude
    Don't take this the wrong way (as in I'm hitting on you), but I can hardly believe you are the same person. I wouldn't be able to tell from your before photo, but you are very attractive at the weight you are at now.

Hi Ashley. Thank you for your very kind words. I see myself much differently than everyone else. #1... I hardly recognize 290lb me and can't remember ever being that big... even though it was just a year ago. #2... I definitely notice a difference in photos BUT, I still see a larger version of myself in the mirror. I'm not sure if my mind will ever catch up to the scale number but I sincerely appreciate your comments! Thank you again and my very best wishes with your own goals.
  • DogRiverDude
    Wow - great job - appreciate you sharing your story. I'm very similiar - started at 275 and after the first 2 weeks I've reached my first goal to get under 268. Have a long way to go on my journey but your story shows it can be done and I feel better already - Keep pushing every day - thanks again for sharing!!

My pleasure LAS! You know, looking back, it was simple, but I do remember having difficult days. If you can push past the tough days, string together a few easier days, before you know it you'll hit 250... 240... 230... and so on. With each drop comes self motivation. Be glad with your progress but never get complacent. Drive hard to your goal, then come back here in a year and write your own success story to help others. Best wishes to your successes... I know you'll get there!
  • DogRiverDude
    Dahummble1 wrote: »
    Truly inspiring.

Thanks D! I see you've started with your weight loss goals. You really don't have far to go! By summer you be there with a little dedication!
  • Inspirational! Thank you for sharing your accomplishment.
  • Lallen377
    Lallen377 Posts: 32 Member
    Youre amazing
  • DogRiverDude
    mary101234 wrote: »
    That's very inspiring, love the dedication!! Well done :)

Thank you Mary! I noticed that you have a small (relatively speaking) amount to lose! Start now, put your heart into it, and before Summer arrives you'll be at your goal!!
  • DogRiverDude
    Oh wow, amazing transformation! Thank you for sharing! This really got me fired up knowing that change is possible!

Thank YOU and you're very welcome Arivanuaranu! Change is more than possible... it's there for you to take! Jump in with both feet, attack your weight loss regiment, and achieve your goal!
  • DogRiverDude
    Smokey705 wrote: »
    Well done, I'm impressed.

I think anyone is capable of achieving weight loss goals but thank you Smokey!
  • DogRiverDude
    cog62 wrote: »
    Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it on MFP! You have the gift of motivation and being real at the same time.

Thank you Cog, it was my pleasure to share! And I assure you... I'M REAL hehe. Just a regular guy, with motivational MFP friends, that followed a plan... that's it :smile:
  • DogRiverDude
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I can't tell you how much I love to read success stories like yours. Thank you so much for sharing. You clearly worked hard and made smart choices and are an excellent example to all of us who are still working on reaching our goals.

Thank you Stacy. I can't tell you what a great feeling it is to provide any type of motivation to beginners OR people currently working on achieving their goals. Hard work is one way to put it but I simply say "sticking with it". When you stick with the plan, results will follow! Best wishes achieving your goals and congratulations on furthering your education!!!
  • mjwebb55
    mjwebb55 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,I've just read about your incredible achievement, very well done you are an inspiration ,I'am just starting my journey at height 6ft 1inch and a starting weight of 270 pounds wish me luck
  • DogRiverDude
    Imcharmed wrote: »
    Fabulous, thanks for sharing your success story. It's good for those of us just starting out to know there's light at the end of the tunnel!

You're very welcome LMCharmed! One day at a time at first becomes weeks at a time down the road, and before you know it that light is within reach! Best wishes with your goal!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    This really is such a great thread. You lost a lot of weight and you set the stage for long term success. WELL DONE!!!! This thread is an inspiration.
  • DogRiverDude
    SaskDad wrote: »
    That is amazing! A real inspiration to those of us starting again to take care of ourselves! Congratulations from 1 Riderville fan to another! Add me as a friend if you want!

Hey there SaskDad... thanks for your post! Great to have another Rider fan jump in the thread; the score is now Riders 3 - Eskimos 2 hehe! You know... SOMEHOW I was able to stay on track during the entire process and in hindsight this was important for a couple reasons. 1. Staying on track means the whole process will be self-motivational because you'll see that scale move on a regular basis. 2. Staying on track forms good long term eating habits AND curbs cravings for the more unhealthy foods. It doesn't eliminate cravings but it makes them manageable!

At this point (maintaining for 3 months), I'm still eating similar to how I did when I lost the weight... just a few more calories. And I feel fantastic! Best wishes with your own goal and Go Riders!!!
  • DogRiverDude
    Your positive and "can do" attitude is energizing. Reading this tonight was motivating - just the "umph" I need to keep going on this journey. Thanks for sharing and Congrats on all of your major success!

Hey, thank you so much IFM! Your username is great by the way. In the end, weight loss, or any goal should be about yourself first. Support, motivation, and inspiration may come and go in respect to others but you always have yourself to rely on! In the end, your success will be because of your own choices; you always have full control over yourself and you never have to let yourself down! So drive hard to your ultimate goal for "you" and,... all the other reasons will just come along with it! :smile:
  • DogRiverDude
    SteveM567 wrote: »
    Brilliant, I'm 74 lbs down on a similar journey and seeing this is just what I need ! Thank you

That's awesome to hear about your success! 74 lbs is an incredible amount to shed; great feeling isn't it! And it only gets better the closer to goal you are! Best wishes achieving it!
  • DogRiverDude
    gerogirl wrote: »
    Congratulations, what a change! Thanks for sharing your success, every story is sooo motivational!

Thank you GeroGirl! It was my pleasure to share... just one of many great ones right? Looks like you've experienced your own success! How terrific!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!