"Interesting" baby names

Options

Replies

• hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I let my husband name our son... I ended up with Faelan Michael.

I actually really like Faelan. It's Gaelic for little wolf (well, actually it would be Faolan, pronounced "fway-lahn", but our Kentucky family was really struggling with it-- "Fowl-en?"... So we Americanized it juuuust a little bit). And Michael was his father's name. So, at least he has a normal name if he decides he didn't like it.

But, I ended up REALLY liking his name. A. Because I like wolves, and B. Because Kaelin is my favorite girls name and it rhymes.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My son's name is Jett, which I didn't think was weird, but my grandma needed a year or so to get used to it. I sometimes get the "did you say Jett??" response, but not too frequently.

My sister had a couple friends in high school named Diamond and Princess...can you imagine being a grown woman named Princess?? Like putting that on a resume?

There's a Cleveland Browns player (used to play for LSU) named Barkevious Mingo. I really wanna name my next dog Barkevious. It sounds like a royal dog name.

I thought of that name for a dog also! He was just drafted too. Love it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Girl names :Tyann,Angelique,Mahala,Shae,Leona
    Most of those are pretty normal names ...
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options

No jokes. A chinese couple named their son @. Not even 'at', just @.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/funnynews/08/16/strange.name.reut/
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I went to high school with Hope Ender. She was goth. Totally not kidding. There was also a girl named Crystal Pietch (pronounced peach). We used to call her Glass Banana behind her back because we were mean girls. I knew a guy in college named Carleton and all he made me think of was Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

That is totally what I just thought of too when I read the name :laugh:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

No jokes. A chinese couple named their son @. Not even 'at', just @.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/funnynews/08/16/strange.name.reut/

Didn't some couple name their kid "hashtag"?
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This may be urban legend, but I have heard of Crystal Shanda Lear.

This is true - my friend named her son Blue. I had met them years ago, Blue was grown and married and I didn't know his mom very well until this year. I finally asked her WHY?! She laughed (I wouldn't have asked her if I thought she'd be offended, she's a very sweet lady) and said one day when she was pregnant with him, she looked up at the blue blue sky, and thought Oh, that would be a nice name, Sky Blue! But thought it would be better for a girl, and so when she got a boy she just named him Blue instead. They had been hippies earlier in life. Her other boys have normal names, Dustin and Dale. However Blue decided to go with it, as he and his wife, while they aren't hippies per se they are outdoor types, and so their children are Ocean (boy), Meadow (girl), Forrest (boy) and Willow (girl).
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Blue
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    This may be urban legend, but I have heard of Crystal Shanda Lear.

This is true - my friend named her son Blue. I had met them years ago, Blue was grown and married and I didn't know his mom very well until this year. I finally asked her WHY?! She laughed (I wouldn't have asked her if I thought she'd be offended, she's a very sweet lady) and said one day when she was pregnant with him, she looked up at the blue blue sky, and thought Oh, that would be a nice name, Sky Blue! But thought it would be better for a girl, and so when she got a boy she just named him Blue instead. They had been hippies earlier in life. Her other boys have normal names, Dustin and Dale. However Blue decided to go with it, as he and his wife, while they aren't hippies per se they are outdoor types, and so their children are Ocean (boy), Meadow (girl), Forrest (boy) and Willow (girl).

Willow is pretty, but not sure how that works for an adult :smile:
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well my friend named her first baby boy Gannon I had never heard of it previously and my husbands cousins baby boy will be Brody when I think of Brody I picture a surfer for some reason ,which fits her because she is a tree hugger btw not meant as an insult I like the fact she is trying to better the environment.

My daughters have normal names but my oldest has issues with people pronouncing her name incorrectly, its worse when I tell them how to say it and they still call her the wrong thing I tell her if they call you by the wrong name don't answer that will fix them,
    Its( Ana)- Rose not to be confused with Anna, its a long A not a short A easy you would think ? oh well and my youngest has no issues its Olivia nothing creative there but we love those names:)

My great grandma was Alta Jane kind of different I suppose and my friend is Kiatina never seen that before .
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Aiden, Caided, Raydon, Jaydon, etc.

Colton, Dolton, Holton, Kolton, etc

Also, any reference to pop culture or a brand name is pretty tacky.

If I meet you on the street and you tell me your child' was named after a sports car, I will call you out as an attention *kitten* who values bringing attention to yourself more than the sanity and emotional well-being of your child.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    To me, Blanket was the weirdest.

I'm just glad he didn't call him Mattress.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a colleague named Honey. It sounds so weird when I hear my boss addressing her on the phone saying "Hi Honey, how are you today." Very strange name for a grown-up to have.

I've also worked with a Honey, and it definitely could get awkward. Vistors must've thought we had some major sexual harrassment going on.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My son's name is Bodhi. People always assume we named him after Patrick Swayze's character in 'Point Break'

No. We named him Bodhi....short for Bodhisattva, but not because of the movie.

A funny thing about it is that the kids in his Jiu Jitsu class get nicknames from one of the instructors. They call Bodhi by his regular name normally, but they gave the nickname of Utah to one of the kids he drills with regularly :)
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Heard of a kid name Slyte Chance

Twins Cocaine and Marijuana

General Washington

Aryck---Eric
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Apparently they call her "Northie" which is kind of cute. But they chose North because it means strong and powerful.

I thought it meant barren snow-covered wasteland. :bigsmile:

I thought they were calling her Nori for short? Isn't Nori seaweed?
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My sister and I have some of those "interesting" names. I'm Satin and my sister is Meadow.

Personally, I love it. I've never run into another person with my name (although I know that one exists in Las Vegas and have sent her a message via FB.)

However, I will say you have to have a good sense of humor. I think it's helped me learn how to laugh at myself and not take myself too seriously in life. I've been called every fabric under the sun. (ie: silk, velvet, denim, polyester, you name it.) I've been called "Sheets." I've been called "Doll."

What's really funny is when people who don't know how to spell very well think my name is "S-A-T-A-N" instead of "S-A-T-I-N." Depending on who mispronounces/ misspells my name I'll usually reply "They only call me that on my bad days" with a wink or just politely tell them it's spelled with an "i." :laugh:
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine just names his son - John Michael.

That has to be the weirdest
  • PriceyLadie21
    Options
    As a teacher I meet a lot of people and hear a lot of interesting names. I am always amazed when people give their children names that are actual words with negative connotations. Philander, Devour and Teflon are a few I can think of off of the top of my head.
  • PriceyLadie21
    Options
    Oh yeah and liquor names. Chardonnay, Alize, Hennesy....