Who Gained Weight During The Holidays? I Have A Solution!!!

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nicely put!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I ate at maintenance plus ate back calories from doing a lot of yardwork. It was great.
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Awesome perspective! Thanks :) And Happy New Year!
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oh i needed to read this today!! (altho today i got on the scale this morning and have lost 3 of the 6 pounds that i had put on... hoping for more by my offical "weigh in" on monday)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It was cathartic to me to fill in [most of] the gaps from the days I didn't log and found out it really wasn't as bad as I thought. It really is all about the perspective!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yes! I want his to be a sticky because it's 100% truth. Thank your for a great post!
  • staceythomas29
    staceythomas29 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! Just what I needed to hear... Bring on the new year! X
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    <3 ^^^ this post....and pretty much everything else you write!!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is so spot on. Personally, I've been completely off my game since September and it is a tribute to what I've learned that, as of today, I'm less than a lb heavier than my lowest September weigh in. Even with absolute disregard for my calorie counts, i seem to have maintained (let's not talk about muscle lost and fat gain, ok? Lol). Point being, i thought I'd been so off track but even so, it tales a fair bit to actually gain!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    *applause* and Amen! :smile:
  • RWayne48
    RWayne48 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great post - it helps keep things in perspective
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Loving this post! I'm actually quite disappointed in myself; I haven't weighed or logged my food (or myself!) since 10th December. I expected, nay, I DESERVED, to have put weight on. Weighed myself today and I'm exactly the same weight as I was on 10th December! So much effort, for no gain at all ;-)

Not going to push my luck though, so I'm back on plan tomorrow (well, sorta, as I'm still trying to figure out this low GL diet that I have to go on).
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The only thing that lost weight during the holidays was my pocket lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    This needs to be stickied.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Even though I'm not new to this, I still have mini-freak outs when I see those spikes. I wish I was like some of you, so calm and collected about it. This is a nice reminder though.
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I needed this today. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I sure have noticed a lot of threads the last week or so with people concerned about all the weight they gained over Christmas, and wanting to get back on track for the New Year. Never fear, I have a solution - it's called the PP Program.

What is the PP Program you ask? Well it's simple.
    Perspective + Patience = PP

Let's start with Perspective. This has two critical components.

First, Perspective about the holidays themselves. In mid-December, there were so many threads about how people were dreading Christmas and what it was going to do to their diet and worrying they were going to undo all their progress. Christmas is supposed to be a joyful time! It comes once a year - and it is filled with so many wonderful things - and one of those wonderful things are food traditions. It is sad how many people are dreading something that should be so enjoyable! After Christmas, I've counted dozens of threads of people regretting their eating/drinking choices during the holidays, talking about throwing out food and never doing this again. Seriously - perspective people!

Now let's talk about the numbers Perspective. Does everyone remember that it takes 3,500 extra calories ABOVE Maintenance in order to gain 1 pound of fat? Did all of you who are lamenting your choices during the holidays log what you ate? Even guesstimating? I did. I ate and drank everything I wanted, and then some, for an entire week (we had a lot of celebrations and a lot of leftovers!). I was over my calorie target every single day - nothing but red for the entire week. OMG, can you imagine seeing all that red? EEEK! Guess what the weekly overage was? 3,657 calories. That's right. With indulging to my heart's content, by logging what I thought I was consuming, I realized that I really didn't go over that much. That's about 1 pound of true fat gain, even if my estimates were way off, I know they weren't off by a factor of 5. Perspective!

What's that you say? You've been weighing yourself and you gained 10 pounds? Who here ate a lot of sodium rich, carbohydrate heavy foods during the holidays. Oh yeah - everyone, right? That's what holiday meals are made of. Guess what - those things cause a big spike in water retention. You know what happens with weight gain from water retention? It goes away in time...

Which brings me to the second P. Patience. Everyone just needs to take a breath and be patient. You didn't put on all your initial weight over night, you didn't lose your weight over night, and you didn't put on 10 lbs in 3 days at Christmas. Things will normalize, you just need to be Patient.

But wait, I'm not done yet! You know how you get rid of water weight? You drink a lot of water (I know, sounds counter intuitive) and guess what you do? You go Pee Pee!!!! And the more you go Pee Pee, the faster you'll lose that water weight and the faster things will return to normal.

So just to recap:

Patience + Perspective = the PP Program. (And in the meantime, if you can go PP, it will help!)

Now, who's ready for New Years!?

I love this post. I want to whisper sweet nothings in its ear.

I do have one suggestion. Can you please add an O to the program so that I can happily proclaim that I am down with OPP....yeah...you know me!!!

IFLY.
  • amydriesbaugh
    amydriesbaugh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    great post!!!
  • BreakthroughThisLifeTime
    Options
    thank you....i needed to hear this!!!!!