Over 40 and ready to change? Let's do this together!

Options

Replies

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

Amanda
    Height: 4'11"
    SW: 123.8 (as of 1/4/2016)
    CW: 120.8 (as of 2/17/2016)
    GW: 100 (hopefully before my August birthday)

For the longest time, I thought I only had to lose about 10# (because I never got down below 116#).
    But last year, I had lost about 7 of those pounds and got down to 113 and still didn't like the way I looked.
    Well, I put those 8 pounds back on, and now my goal is to lose 20#, and then switch to recomposition to mainly lose body fat.

I'm wicked short, so 100# is a good weight for me.

Would love all help and support.
    Thank you,
    Amanda
  • deonnabanks57
    deonnabanks57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to hit my first mini goal this week and ended up .2lbs short of it! Now I'm looking forward to next week and hitting that goal, maybe I can put a good dent in the next mini goal while I'm at it! at

How are you all doing this week? What challenges have you overcome? Did you set any new goals?

• JodiMcKen2013
    JodiMcKen2013 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Sixlees
    Sixlees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am in. I decided it was time for a change. My 50th birthday is in June and for the last 15 years I have weighed over 200 pounds. At 5'2" that is pretty much double an "ideal" weight. I don't see myself getting that small at my age. But you never know.
    Starting weight 201.6 February 15, 2016
    Current weight 195.4 February 24, 2016
    I have some intermediate goals. I have 4 children and my weight has returned to my highest pregnancy weight following each of their births.
    First goal 191. What I weighed 16 years ago when I got pregnant with number 4
    Second goal 183 what I weighed when I got pregnant with number 3
    Third goal 167 what I weighed when I got pregnant with number 2
    Fourth goal 151 what I weighed when I got pregnant the first time
    5th goal 139 what I weighed when I graduated from high school. Still heavy for my height so I will see where I go from there.
    I have only really tried to lose the weight twice about 8 years ago cut out sugar and felt so deprived. Did well for 3 months then losing my dad I just gave up. Worked again about 3 years ago gave up a lot of foods. Worked really hard for about 3 months and again felt so deprived just gave up. Both times I never got to my second goal and felt very discouraged
    I am trying to be really realistic this time. I am a comfort eater. If I have to give anything up entirely I know I will not stick to it. So far (only 9 days in) I have just been tracking calories 1200 daily and have not felt deprived at all. I even had 1 day where a small scoop of Chocolat Fudge Brownie ice cream fit into my calories and that made me smile. 6.2 pounds is making me smile also. I am close to my first goal and I remember working so hard to get there years ago and to be honest this is the easiest time I have ever had losing weight.
    Looking for some friends to help me keep it up this time. I really want to change my life
  • JDubbs2
    JDubbs2 Posts: 3,789 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
    41 yrs
    201 cw
    170 gw
    Started my journey 2 1/2 weeks ago @ 210
  • huango
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sixlees wrote: »
    I am in. I decided it was time for a change. My 50th birthday is in June and for the last 15 years I have weighed over 200 pounds. At 5'2" that is pretty much double an "ideal" weight. I don't see myself getting that small at my age. But you never know.
    Starting weight 201.6 February 15, 2016
    Current weight 195.4 February 24, 2016
    I have some intermediate goals. I have 4 children and my weight has returned to my highest pregnancy weight following each of their births.
    First goal 191. What I weighed 16 years ago when I got pregnant with number 4
    Second goal 183 what I weighed when I got pregnant with number 3
    Third goal 167 what I weighed when I got pregnant with number 2
    Fourth goal 151 what I weighed when I got pregnant the first time
    5th goal 139 what I weighed when I graduated from high school. Still heavy for my height so I will see where I go from there.
    I have only really tried to lose the weight twice about 8 years ago cut out sugar and felt so deprived. Did well for 3 months then losing my dad I just gave up. Worked again about 3 years ago gave up a lot of foods. Worked really hard for about 3 months and again felt so deprived just gave up. Both times I never got to my second goal and felt very discouraged
    I am trying to be really realistic this time. I am a comfort eater. If I have to give anything up entirely I know I will not stick to it. So far (only 9 days in) I have just been tracking calories 1200 daily and have not felt deprived at all. I even had 1 day where a small scoop of Chocolat Fudge Brownie ice cream fit into my calories and that made me smile. 6.2 pounds is making me smile also. I am close to my first goal and I remember working so hard to get there years ago and to be honest this is the easiest time I have ever had losing weight.
    Looking for some friends to help me keep it up this time. I really want to change my life

I really like the supporting reasoning behind your intermediate goals.

I'm a shortie here, so I know just how little our bodies need to function, BUT I just want to eat more than I need!
    I know about feeling deprived.

I've been doing this 5:2 FAST diet, where it basically reduces calories on 2 days, so that you can eat more on the other 5 days, so you don't have to feel like you have to stick with 1200 EVERY SINGLE DAY for the next few months (or longer: yikes).
    For instance, I ate 700 calories yesterday, so that means, I get to eat about 1700 calories this Saturday at the dinner party, and STILL average about 1200 per day for the week.
    M = 1200
    T = 700
    W = 1200
    R = 700
    F = 1500
    S = 1700, so I can actually go out to dinner with family
    Su = 1400

I had to do something; 1000-1200 calories is just not enough calories for the rest of my life.

Also, I've been lifting heavy weights, aiming to pack on more muscles so I can burn more calories.

I also eat high protein/fat and lower carbs/starches.
    Starchy carbs like cereal and noodles function like a drug for my body. Once I have a little, my body craves more and more until I've eaten 500+calories of ~3servings of Honey Bunches of Oats.

You are 4.4pounds away from your 1st goal.
    How will you celebrate it?

• skschuler
    skschuler Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Excited to join this group!
  • shonabardecki
    shonabardecki Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 44.
    I'd like to lose 60lbs.
    I was doing great on weight loss until my mom fell ill with cancer.. I had a full time job..3 kids..and took my mom in to help her through her final journey until she passed away.
    I'm looking to refocus and get happy and healthy for my family :)
  • moon14baby
    moon14baby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo in!!! I'm 43 and have 60 pounds to lose! Look forward to meeting new people to encourage and to encourage me!
  • firepro
    firepro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Heres my monday report

Sw 272.5
    Cw 245.4
    Gw 190

1/11/16----272
    1/18/16----261
    1/25/16----259
    2/01/16----256.5
    2/08/16----253.5
    2/15/16----253
    2/22/16----249
    2/29/16----245.5

My lowest weight in 10 years is 243. I am going to blast right through that. Real Excited, It looks like i will miss my deadline for July 14 but still planning a big party with friends and yes there will be fried seafood and drinks involved. I am trying to narrow what will be on drink list for that night and so far I am thinking, a Pina Colada, White Russian and trying to make up my mind on the third one, any suggestions?
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I'm in. It does get harder with every attempt. Trying to make the CHANGES that are necessary.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm in I'm trying to get back to about 45 lb weight loss, gained about 10 lb back over the holidays, seem only to be able to maintain about 30 lb weight loss. Feel free to add me as A friend. We can help motivate each other. I do best when I Log regularly, keeps me honest. AND I'm always looking for new /fresh ideas for a more varied diet, and exercise regime.
  • huango
    Options
    I'm starting Paleo tomorrow/ 3/1/2016, in support for a friend who is doing dairy-free/gluten-free (due to their acne/stomach trouble).

Goal for Paleo is to provide my muscles plenty of good nutrients as I weight train, to lose weight (20#) and reveal some hard-earned muscles ---> to look hot in my bikini for this summer!

I'm sick of working out hard, but eating crappy and not having anything to show for all my hard work at the gym.

They say what you eat is ~80% of the game, so I'm giving it my all this time.

Taking the BEFORE pictures and measurements tomorrow morning.
    I only weigh myself once a month, just as a data point.

Spring is just around the corner!
    We can do this!
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • a2wom
    a2wom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and been struggling with weight awhile. I am trying to make changes that can last by exercising and counting calories. Is there a group thread or an invite to a group or do we just post here?
  • Tusksmom
    Tusksmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am in! I need to lose about 30 lbs.
  • tech_hunter
    tech_hunter Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well, last Friday I got to 199 lbs! YAY!

Measurements:
    Neck: 13.75"
    Bust: 42"
    Chest: 36"
    Waist: 39"
    Hips: 42"
    Thigh (R): 26.5"
    Calf: 17"

I am so very happy that I got back to doing MFP, it helps so much to keep me in check.
  • huango
    Options
    Well, last Friday I got to 199 lbs! YAY!

I am so very happy that I got back to doing MFP, it helps so much to keep me in check.

Wooohooo!
    Way to go!!!

Keep up the great job!
  • darrindlb
    darrindlb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old. I want to loose 50 lbs. I am in.