Over 40 and ready to change? Let's do this together!

Options

Replies

• JPearl44
    JPearl44 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another question for the group... When do sneak in the time to exercise? I'm a full time employee, working on a masters, and a mom of two teens. Lately I have set up an exercise bike and ride that while I read my homework assignments. When do you sneak in your minutes?
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    JPearl44 wrote: »
    Another question for the group... When do sneak in the time to exercise? I'm a full time employee, working on a masters, and a mom of two teens. Lately I have set up an exercise bike and ride that while I read my homework assignments. When do you sneak in your minutes?

I'm fortunate in that I work from home. So, after I walk with the kiddo to the bus stop I come home, have a coffee, do my workout and then shower and get on with my day. I also take a yoga class one evening a week. Walking to and from the bus stop every day and dog walking helps keep my steps up too. I like to watch Netflix while on my elliptical to keep entertained.
  • miacaz02
    miacaz02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel it's hard to find the time for yourself without feeling guilty that your taking time away from your family. I've learned that if you make that time, your more focused and feel better.
  • drevaquera
    drevaquera Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    miacaz02 wrote: »
    I feel it's hard to find the time for yourself without feeling guilty that your taking time away from your family. I've learned that if you make that time, your more focused and feel better.

I find that I am in a much better mood and have more energy, so I don't feel guilty taking the time to excercise.
  • drevaquera
    drevaquera Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Early in the morning when everyone is sleeping. It is hard to get out of bed at first, but once I get going, I feel great. I am back in time to get ready for work. I also walk at lunch and in the evenings after dinner. If I am sitting watching tv, I have been trying to use hand weights to firm up my arms.
  • dcaswell10
    dcaswell10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Count me in as well. I'm 41 and have a huge 220 lbs to loose. Stepping on the scale and seeing 440 just isn't fun anymore. I have my bike set up indoors and I have been working out with resistance bands. I hope to loose 125 this year.
  • marsharenee27
    marsharenee27 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Browsing groups for motivation as I want to get in shape for a family reunion in November 2016. I want to do cardio 5 days/week and strength train 3 days/week while keeping my calories around 1600/day. I'm vegetarian but I need to focus on eating clean, unprocessed foods. No more late night processed carb binges!! I'm 44 and ready to go from flab to FAB!!
  • sunshine_40
    sunshine_40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dcaswell10 wrote: »
    Count me in as well. I'm 41 and have a huge 220 lbs to loose. Stepping on the scale and seeing 440 just isn't fun anymore. I have my bike set up indoors and I have been working out with resistance bands. I hope to loose 125 this year.

You can do it!
  • marsharenee27
    Options
    dcaswell10 wrote: »

I'm rooting for you dcaswell10!!
  • marsharenee27
    Options
    peezer3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am 65 and have been battling to get 25 lbs off for the last 3 years. It is time to get serious about it once and for all. I hope we can motivate each other with little challenges each week and build on those. Suggestions: no late night eating, at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, track food, water etc. Thoughts?

I agree - it was that darn late night eating (along with a new medication) that caused me to gain an extra 20lbs last year. Now I need to lose that ON TOP of the 20-40lbs I was struggling with before that! Tracking food and exercise is key for me to lose weight but to look good I have to strength train! We got this!
  • marsharenee27
    Options
    I'm in! 42 years old, and I have 60 pounds to lose. I know I can do it, I just need to get an occasional push!

I'm 44 with 60lbs to lose, too! Similar stats - lets do this!!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am in!! I am going to turn 50 in Sept and want to get back to 140, means I have about 28-29 pounds to lose. I have been doing great with exercise and am fitting it around my home daycare schedule. Goal on the treadmill is 5k in 30 minutes, it currently takes me about 54 minutes but I improve weekly. I also want to do a 30 minute dvd 4-5 times a week as I find they push me to finish something.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    51yo. Lost a total of 40kg (about 88lb) in 2011 but gained back quite a bit. This time slow and steady to win the race. More friends welcome. Feel free to add me.
  • ameerah3333
    ameerah3333 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi all! Ameerah here, I'm in as well.

I just logged back in to MFP after a 5 years hiatus, eekkk! I need to get back on track and focus on my health. I want to be strong and lean.....I want to actually look at myself, I mean really look at myself and not shudder, lol.

41 years with 20lbs to lose, I can do it, I know I can!!

I aim to do weight training 4 days and cardio 3 days. My focus right now is planning meals, this is where I always fail. :/

We can all do it guys! Let's go!
  • ameerah3333
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So here's a question... What do you say in your head to keep you from grabbing that donut someone brought to work to share?

This may sound harsh...but back when I was working towards getting fit (and I did it) I kept a picture of myself at my heaviest. Every time I thought about eating those bad foods (outside of my cheat day) I looked at it and remembered how I felt when I took that picture. At that time it worked!

I think I will have to do that this time again.....
  • ameerah3333
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »

I lost 3.5, A half pound under what I wanted, but I'm happy about what I have done, and to hold on to that loss as the month went on. I've consistently been active again, focusing on my fitbit goals set me back with my running, but I ended up being able to run my fastest pace! So no complaints there. I'm also back to being focused on my calorie goals daily and logging every meal again. So a lot of goals have been met, and I just can't be hard on myself at all about that half a pound.

Thats awesome Becky! Keep it up! Ya, don't be too hard on yourself, you are succeeding a bit more everyday!

~A
  • shrekathy
    shrekathy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 with two toddlers, and instead of them making me feel younger, I just feel Tired! I need to lose 22 to get under 200, then I wanna keep going! I still can't believe I let myself get this big, and it wasn't just the babies, tho I blamed pregnancy for a long time. The youngest is 2, I need to take responsibility for my bad habits and get going again. I've used MfP before and it really works, as long you're honest and track everything, including beer n wine :) Would love to stay motivated and share in each other's victories (plus recipes, ideas, etc). Good luck to all!
  • Gonnagetfit4life2015
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I quit dieting because I'm sick of counting calories! This is the heaviest I've ever been. I need something to get me motivated.
  • yoginijenc
    yoginijenc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kristyn927 wrote: »
    I'm interested :) starting 30 day shred tomorrow and going to start tracking again. :)
    miacaz02 wrote: »
    If your over 40 and sick and tired of being sick and tired of how you feel and the way you look, then lets do this together! I'm 50 pounds over weight and plan on loosing 2 pounds a week. Let's motivate each other, swap diet secrets, and encourage staying on exercise routines. We got this!

• yoginijenc
    yoginijenc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in