• simplyGigi
    simplyGigi Posts: 12 Member
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

I don't think people who ask this are actually asking for someone to be their motivation, I think they are looking for someone to help them figure out what to do or with whom to share a common goal. At least on here, I might suggest a group that is something they might be interested in, or suggest checking out the Challenges section. [/quote]

Totally agree with this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    As part of this discussion, @lemurcat12 I did a quick search on the word "lazy". People are much more likely to call themselves lazy.

I have used it to describe myself as I will always seek the simpler way to do a job. I attribute my laziness as an asset when looking to make a job more efficient.

My question got lost in the thread somewhere, but what is laziness, really? I maintain it's an outward symptom of something else.

I think it's difficult to quantify laziness for another person, at least when it comes to diet and exercise. For some people, scheduling a workout and hitting the gym regularly is no big deal. For others, trying to find time to exercise can be a tremendous challenge. Yet some would tell a person saying they can't find time to exercise that they just don't want to lose weight badly enough.

I don't know that your question necessarily has an easy answer, but I could just be too lazy to figure it out.:wink:

And for some people it is down to phases in their life

Scheduling a workout and hitting the gym regularly was absolutely beyond me when I was a couch potato

I was an absolute prime lazy- ar$e and had the reasons...mother, worker, wife, householder, family obligations, medical conditions...you name 'em, I got 'em

Until I committed, even when I didn't want to, then I got in the groove and now hitting the gym regularly is no big deal

It was a challenge I took on

Everyone can find the time ...ev-er-y-one! When they stop excusing themselves

I disagree. Not ev-er-y-one can find the time, and if they can't, it's not just because they are making excuses. For example, if you're a parent who needs childcare during your workouts, those childcare areas are only open at certain times. If something comes up that you need to deal with and you miss that time? There goes your workout for the day. Not ev-er-y-one is going to be able to just hit the gym at a later time that day due to other obligations, or have someone else who can watch the kids while they go to they gym at an off-childcare hour.

A lot of success with diet and exercise is due to having access to resources and a support system. Not having access to them doesn't mean someone is just lazy and making excuses, and it can be incredibly frustrating for the person who is wanting to make a change and trying to figure out a way to deal with the obstacles they are facing to be told that they are "being lazy," "don't want it enough," or are "making excuses" by someone in a vastly different situation.

So if one doesn't want to miss a 'workout' the options are put the child in a stroller and go for a walk / run / to the park have a kick around, log into a fitness channel and workout at home when kids are asleep or in front of the TV or do a bodyweight workout...gym is not the only path....not doing it is a choice...it might not be easy but it's still a choice

And that's fine ....I spent years making that choice ..telling myself I didn't have the time, money, childcare

It is only at the other side, when I've conquered those demons that I realise it was an excuse...of course it was...and if I lose this focus it will be an excuse again

And we all know weight loss is about dietary control and not the exercise part
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    As part of this discussion, @lemurcat12 I did a quick search on the word "lazy". People are much more likely to call themselves lazy.

I have used it to describe myself as I will always seek the simpler way to do a job. I attribute my laziness as an asset when looking to make a job more efficient.

My question got lost in the thread somewhere, but what is laziness, really? I maintain it's an outward symptom of something else.

I think it's difficult to quantify laziness for another person, at least when it comes to diet and exercise. For some people, scheduling a workout and hitting the gym regularly is no big deal. For others, trying to find time to exercise can be a tremendous challenge. Yet some would tell a person saying they can't find time to exercise that they just don't want to lose weight badly enough.

I don't know that your question necessarily has an easy answer, but I could just be too lazy to figure it out.:wink:

Scheduling a workout and hitting the gym regularly was absolutely beyond me when I was a couch potato

I was an absolute prime lazy- ar$e and had the reasons...mother, worker, wife, householder, family obligations, medical conditions...you name 'em, I got 'em

Until I committed, even when I didn't want to, then I got in the groove and now hitting the gym regularly is no big deal

This right here is exactly the kind of post I thought of when I read the OP. The complete lack of understanding. The "I did it so you can too" mentality.

Sure everyone that is physically capable of movement (and not everyone is!) can give up something else in their life in order to make their own fitness a priority. But there are situations where what would have to be given up is just too important to that person. Situations you or I may never face or understand.
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options

This right here is exactly the kind of post I thought of when I read the OP. The complete lack of understanding. The "I did it so you can too" mentality.

Sure everyone that is physically capable of movement (and not everyone is!) can give up something else in their life in order to make their own fitness a priority. But there are situations where what would have to be given up is just too important to that person. Situations you or I may never face or understand.

Exactly what I said ...it's a choice

Also that post is what I see as one of the prime issues with some forumites

I was talking about me

Not you

Not them

My experience

And yes that can be extrapolated to everyone in my mind. No judgement, just choice

Take from it what you will
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Actually you said excuse. There is a difference between reason and excuse.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Can't, don't, and won't are separate things. I can't get away from the house to do my exercising before 8:30pm due to familial obligations, but I won't miss my exercise, so that means I don't get to go to bed until midnight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Too important to that person=choice.

And if you understand how weight loss works, it's quite unlikely that anything terribly important would have to be given up (for example, that you couldn't watch children while losing weight).

Of course we all understand being in a situation where losing weight felt impossible or overwhelming or like something we just couldn't manage. The point is that that itself was due to choices -- I would have to do certain things that I am not willing to do right now. Heck, I've been 125 for ages when I'd ideally like to be 118 or so, and I know how to lose weight, and I'm still not, because I don't want to do what I'd have to do right now.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Actually you said excuse. There is a difference between reason and excuse.

Not that much. A reason is giving yourself permission, an excuse is acknowledging you have a choice,

I have many reasons I could have stayed in that other phase of my life. In this new phase of my life I see each and everyone as an excuse I made to myself

I simply don't think that excuse affects you in any way, if you don't like my words don't address them
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My excuse for not hitting the gym right now is I would much rather sleep during my few free hours, and I am more than willing to cut out 200 calories to hit my goals and still sleep. It is a choice, but it isn't a choice about how to use my time, cause I don't have the time (when I do I go back to one of my jobs to get more hours) but the choice is in sitting down the extra 200 calories so I can still lose the weight I want to lose.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I disagree. Not ev-er-y-one can find the time, and if they can't, it's not just because they are making excuses. For example, if you're a parent who needs childcare during your workouts, those childcare areas are only open at certain times. If something comes up that you need to deal with and you miss that time? There goes your workout for the day. Not ev-er-y-one is going to be able to just hit the gym at a later time that day due to other obligations, or have someone else who can watch the kids while they go to they gym at an off-childcare hour.

A lot of success with diet and exercise is due to having access to resources and a support system. Not having access to them doesn't mean someone is just lazy and making excuses, and it can be incredibly frustrating for the person who is wanting to make a change and trying to figure out a way to deal with the obstacles they are facing to be told that they are "being lazy," "don't want it enough," or are "making excuses" by someone in a vastly different situation.

So if one doesn't want to miss a 'workout' the options are put the child in a stroller and go for a walk / run / to the park have a kick around, log into a fitness channel and workout at home when kids are asleep or in front of the TV or do a bodyweight workout...gym is not the only path....not doing it is a choice...it might not be easy but it's still a choice

And that's fine ....I spent years making that choice ..telling myself I didn't have the time, money, childcare

It is only at the other side, when I've conquered those demons that I realise it was an excuse...of course it was...and if I lose this focus it will be an excuse again

Again, all of that assumes the person has access to safe places to walk, access to fitness channels, space in their home to work out, free time to exercise when the kids are asleep, etc.

I feel like your response just illustrates what jgnatca meant by her OP. You feel like a person who says those things is being lazy based on your own experiences and feelings about yourself; that doesn't mean it can or should be applied universally to everyone who expresses similar feelings or concerns. And that rather than just popping in to tell them they are lazy, making excuses, or that if you can do it anyone can, the person is better served by users who are willing to take the time to help the person process their situation and come up with a plan.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    So, at how long until reasons are actually excuses?
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options

Again, all of that assumes the person has access to safe places to walk, access to fitness channels, space in their home to work out, free time to exercise when the kids are asleep, etc.

I feel like your response just illustrates what jgnatca meant by her OP. You feel like a person who says those things is being lazy based on your own experiences and feelings about yourself; that doesn't mean it can or should be applied universally to everyone who expresses similar feelings or concerns. And that rather than just popping in to tell them they are lazy, making excuses, or that if you can do it anyone can, the person is better served by users who are willing to take the time to help the person process their situation and come up with a plan.

You can assume this nominal person lives in a prison cell..they can walk on the spot if they choose to..you don't see these as excuses?

Do I call this person lazy? I am not aware of having ever called someone else lazy apart from a friend in jest, Or are your perceptions colouring my words with the perception of my calling you / those kind of people lazy. It is your theory of mind, your inference that is imbuing my words with your negative connotations. You assume my intent, that that is what I am implying by using the words excuse, choice.

For me, if I was that person, my needs would be better served by truth boldly spoken, by assumptions being addressed, by others self-perceptions of their own experiences and whether I relate to them or whether I get butt-hurt walk away and it forces me to re-evaluate (and yes I've had that reaction to MFP posts before) and learn

As to the par in bold. Who are you to a determine how a person is best served as though it's some general truth and dictate? It's not true for me, why should you get to assume it is?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

because they can't find a second hand treadmill or bike? or watch youtube videos or fitness dvds at the thrift store - come march they'll be a dime a dozen. or put the kids in a stroller and go for a walk? or do situps while watching tv? not to mention, exercise isn't even NECESSARY for weight loss.

excuses are like *kitten*.... everyones got 'em ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You can assume this nominal person lives in a prison cell..they can walk on the spot if they choose to..you don't see these as excuses?

Do I call this person lazy? I am not aware of having ever called someone else lazy apart from a friend in jest, Or are your perceptions colouring my words with the perception of my calling you / those kind of people lazy. It is your theory of mind, your inference that is imbuing my words with your negative connotations. You assume my intent, that that is what I am implying by using the words excuse, choice.

For me, if I was that person, my needs would be better served by truth boldly spoken, by assumptions being addressed, by others self-perceptions of their own experiences and whether I relate to them or whether I get butt-hurt walk away and it forces me to re-evaluate (and yes I've had that reaction to MFP posts before) and learn

As to the par in bold. Who are you to a determine how a person is best served as though it's some general truth and dictate? It's not true for me, why should you get to assume it is?

No, I do not automatically view someone as lazy for expressing frustration about their situation. The mere fact that they come on the site to talk about it indicates to me that they are not lazy and are trying to make a change. They just might need some help figuring out to do it.

I'm not perceiving anything about your words: "I was an absolute prime lazy- ar$e and had the reasons...mother, worker, wife, householder, family obligations, medical conditions...you name 'em, I got 'em" I don't see how responding to your sentence where you say you were lazy and that you consider all those to be lazy "reasons" is inferring anything or imbuing your words with a negative connotation.

The part in bold refers to what jgnatca said in her OP, which I clearly reference in the first sentence of that paragraph. My responses to you aren't a personal attack in any way, and I'm sorry if you think it is. I'm leaving the topic now as I have some place I need to be, so I won't be responding further as the discussion will probably be some place completely different when I return. You're welcome to PM me if you'd like to discuss the topic further.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to post that people are lazy but I'm not going to say that weight loss is super hard either.
    I think the most frustrating is people who want it all handed to them for free. They want people on the forum to produce motivation as well as full meal and exercise plans. They don't read the forums. They don't provide enough information when they ask for help and get mad at responses. They are looking for a trick or to do unhealthy things and get mad when people say no, CICO. They want to give up if they have a bad day or don't lose weight fast. They have a million excuses why they are special and can't lose weight like the rest of us. Lazy is probably not the right word. The right word to use may be denial, irresponsible or unready.

I think I'm a fairly lazy person. I'm not going to totally change my diet so I just eat less. I'm not going to get dressed, go to a gym and exercise for over an hour so I do 30 minutes at home. I plan meals a month in advance so I don't have to think about it every day. I have a grocery list saved on my computer that I just alter each week because we buy the same things pretty often and it saves time. I put the list in order of the store layout so I don't have to walk around hunting for stuff. I have leftovers for lunches and the same things for breakfasts and snacks most days. I use this handy dandy tool from MFP to calculate my calorie goal for me so I don't have to do math. I pre-log my food for the day so I don't have to think about it all day. Laziness doesn't prevent you from doing things.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

No, I do not automatically view someone as lazy for expressing frustration about their situation. The mere fact that they come on the site to talk about it indicates to me that they are not lazy and are trying to make a change. They just might need some help figuring out to do it.

I'm not perceiving anything about your words: "I was an absolute prime lazy- ar$e and had the reasons...mother, worker, wife, householder, family obligations, medical conditions...you name 'em, I got 'em" I don't see how responding to your sentence where you say you were lazy and that you consider all those to be lazy "reasons" is inferring anything or imbuing your words with a negative connotation.

The part in bold refers to what jgnatca said in her OP, which I clearly reference in the first sentence of that paragraph. My responses to you aren't a personal attack in any way, and I'm sorry if you think it is. I'm leaving the topic now as I have some place I need to be, so I won't be responding further as the discussion will probably be some place completely different when I return. You're welcome to PM me if you'd like to discuss the topic further.

I assumed we were having a discussion. Isn't this how a discussion works

Why would you think I'm taking it personally?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I really respond well to truth speakers, and people who share their real experiences. You have helped me in the past with your posts. I wouldn't want you to change the way you think because *I* might be offended. How I choose to react to your words are my own emotions.

I think that is the problem with some of this thread. Some of us want to be told when we need to suck it up, other people don't.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »

I really respond well to truth speakers, and people who share their real experiences. You have helped me in the past with your posts. I wouldn't want you to change the way you think because *I* might be offended. How I choose to react to your words are my own emotions.

I think that is the problem with some of this thread. Some of us want to be told when we need to suck it up, other people don't.

Thank you @lyttlewon I appreciate your speaking up.

I feel much the same as you and certainly believe it as valid and prevalent a response as those that believe otherwise. Although I do often get the sense that some would like us to feel less of ourselves because we do not have the same reactions as they do
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I think a good lesson for today is this:

If you ask for advice on the internet, try not to take it personally when you don't like what you hear.

If you give advice on the internet, try not to take it personally when people don't like what you say.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'm not going to post that people are lazy but I'm not going to say that weight loss is super hard either.
    I think the most frustrating is people who want it all handed to them for free. They want people on the forum to produce motivation as well as full meal and exercise plans. They don't read the forums. They don't provide enough information when they ask for help and get mad at responses. They are looking for a trick or to do unhealthy things and get mad when people say no, CICO. They want to give up if they have a bad day or don't lose weight fast. They have a million excuses why they are special and can't lose weight like the rest of us. Lazy is probably not the right word. The right word to use may be denial, irresponsible or unready.

I think I'm a fairly lazy person. I'm not going to totally change my diet so I just eat less. I'm not going to get dressed, go to a gym and exercise for over an hour so I do 30 minutes at home. I plan meals a month in advance so I don't have to think about it every day. I have a grocery list saved on my computer that I just alter each week because we buy the same things pretty often and it saves time. I put the list in order of the store layout so I don't have to walk around hunting for stuff. I have leftovers for lunches and the same things for breakfasts and snacks most days. I use this handy dandy tool from MFP to calculate my calorie goal for me so I don't have to do math. I pre-log my food for the day so I don't have to think about it all day. Laziness doesn't prevent you from doing things.

Nice post. Come to think of it, myself and all of my friends who have been successful on MFP are "lazy"- we look for the easiest ways to get the job done!