If calories in-calories out is immutable...

Options

Replies

• mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To several posters who asked--yes, I'm logging, I'm not using a food scale.

Freely isn't the best choice of words there...I'm logging on the non-fast days too. Just not with a calorie goal. I've been ending up around 1500-1600 on "free" days.

I know I need to stick with it longer. If you re-read my op, you'll see that I have stuck with programs longer, but I feel like I hit a hurdle around the 3 week mark every time. I'm afraid I'm just in that place I've been in before.

I also feel like I need a plan that I can adhere to on autopilot so that I can do it longer.

I don't think I'm really a yo-yo dieter--i haven't dieted enough for that! Last year I worked with a personal trainer for about three months. During that time (not the entire time, I worked up to this), I was restricting calories to 1100, lifting weights 2x per week, and doing 30min of cardio 3x per week. I consistently lost 1lb per week, sometimes more. But I can't keep that up! Ir at least I can't keep it up without a lot of disruption to accommodate my family's needs. (I work full time and I have 5 kids, ranging from 4-17).

Anyway--there is more backstory.

Thank you all for your input!!
  • mandy318
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    What helped for me was to once and for all very clearly, very cleanly, very dispassionately partition PROCESS (my work) from PRODUCT (my body's work). If my program is based on sound principles & I am consistently doing my work, I have to accept that my body will do its work on its own arcane terms. So far this has carried me through several bumps & skids.

This is precisely the mindset I need to get into. Thanks for sharing it so succinctly. I may print this off and hang it in my office to re-read!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mandy318 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the info. Lots of people here think like I do!

My current weight is 192. Goal: 172 (to begin with, I'd love to lose this by March, for a trip I'm going on)

I'm eating 500 cal on "fast" days and freely on off days. So far, fasting is working well for me. I recently started a new job and found myself eating alot less by default due to a change in my daily schedule. It has actually been easy to incorporate the fasting. I feel like fasting functions as a behavior modification for me...just in 3 weeks I've noticed that I'm not as reactive to the feeling of hunger--which enables me to make a dispassionate food choice.

For me, eating 6x a day means 6x I have to make the right decision about what to eat. Meal planning is not my strong point. If I can not have to rely on it, I'm better off.

I'll stick with this for 3 more weeks and if I don't see a change over time, I'll make a drs appt and push to see if there is some other challenge.

Thank you all!!

You do not need a dr's appointment, you need to be patient, and consistent. In every new diet you will lose a few lbs the first couple of weeks. And then gain it back and a bit more if you quit.
    In your current diet, what does eating freely mean? If it is eating at maintenance, great. If it means eating 5000 calories, you will end up gaining in the end.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The last month for me:
    m8pvt3aea26s.jpeg

What does the green shading signify @lorrpb
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sweetie if you're not using a food scale you might be drastically underestimating your calorie intake and wiping out your defecit

something to think about if you continue to maintain
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be following a diet, you should start a lifestyle change. When your health, and healthier life is your goal, weight comes off as a really great consequence.
    Also, as a lot of posters mentioned weight loss is not linear, you can lose a lot in the beginning, then nothing, then couple months later a bit more...you should be focused on big picture and don't get discouraged if you don't see a change on the scale.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You
    mandy318 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the info. Lots of people here think like I do!

My current weight is 192. Goal: 172 (to begin with, I'd love to lose this by March, for a trip I'm going on)

I'm eating 500 cal on "fast" days and freely on off days. So far, fasting is working well for me. I recently started a new job and found myself eating alot less by default due to a change in my daily schedule. It has actually been easy to incorporate the fasting. I feel like fasting functions as a behavior modification for me...just in 3 weeks I've noticed that I'm not as reactive to the feeling of hunger--which enables me to make a dispassionate food choice.

For me, eating 6x a day means 6x I have to make the right decision about what to eat. Meal planning is not my strong point. If I can not have to rely on it, I'm better off.

I'll stick with this for 3 more weeks and if I don't see a change over time, I'll make a drs appt and push to see if there is some other challenge.

Thank you all!!

You say your eating freely on non fast days ? Are you still weighing and logging those days?
    If not, you could be wiping out your own deficit causing you not to lose weight.
    I've met lots of people who do diets like 5:2 that think just because they ate 500 cals the day before that they can eat whatever the next. That's not true at all.
    If you are not losing weight its because your not consistently at a calorie deficit. You could be wiping out your deficit by eating " freely "
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in that short of a time for your stats is pretty aggressive and likely not possible. Don't get discouraged and quit if you don't make it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    And hello, with five relatively young children?!? I think you probably are being overly aggressive in 3-week spurts and calling it 'quitting.' Go easier! Aim lower! Take half a pound of loss over a longer time... Find something that works within the current conditions of your actual life, not some ideal that collapses in a matter of weeks. xoL
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need a food scale, and to follow the MFP plan and let it work. Consistency is the #1 factor people fail at losing weight in my opinion (other than the obvious, overeating).

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you're not using a food scale, your logging is inaccurate. We are known to wildly underestimate portions.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    What helped for me was to once and for all very clearly, very cleanly, very dispassionately partition PROCESS (my work) from PRODUCT (my body's work). If my program is based on sound principles & I am consistently doing my work, I have to accept that my body will do its work on its own arcane terms. So far this has carried me through several bumps & skids.
    That's a really great perspective, thank you for sharing that insight.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I needed accurate measurements to really believe that CICO was working. When I weigh all my solid food on a digital kitchen scale in grams and choose accurate entries from the data base, I insure the measurement of CI is as accurate as possible. When I used a Fitbit for measuring activity, I insure the measurement of my CO is as accurate as possible. When I know I am working with accurate data I can trust that the weight will come off. This allows me to have complete faith in the process even when the bathroom scale may not reflect that exactly on any given day. My strongest advise is weigh your food! Measure your activity accurately and trust the process
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Because weight loss isn't linear

Calories in vs calories out is immutable but you forgot the over time part
    +1. People expect results from doing the same exact things every week. Unfortunately the body doesn't do the exact same things every week. Fluctuations in stress, hormones, water, nutrients, etc. are why weight loss isn't linear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The last month for me:
    m8pvt3aea26s.jpeg

The green band shows where you were 30 days ago.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    The last month for me:
    m8pvt3aea26s.jpeg

Hey, that's pretty cool. What app is that?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The last month for me:
    m8pvt3aea26s.jpeg

Hey, that's pretty cool. What app is that?

Happy scale- iPhone.
  • mandy318
    Options
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!

This is exactly what I'm following.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Agreed. You actually don't need to log ever. Most people have the ability to know when they are eating too much, they just ignore it. A human scale can work for weight loss just fine if used properly.

Looking at labels or logging food helps people understand the calorie dense stuff, the nutritional content, etc, but in the end being able to apply it is more important. A person could log everything and struggle if they don't figure out what keeps them full, gives them more energy, and gets them through the day.