If calories in-calories out is immutable...

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    It seems most of us think highly of 'our way' but in fact there are many ways that work well for at least a few. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ^ +1
    mandy318 wrote: »
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!

This is exactly what I'm following.

Me, too. I don't log non-fast days. I think this diet is good for those of us who tend to be 'all or nothing' thinkers. We can diet hard for a day then not at all for a day. Whereas if we try to log all our food on all the days, and restrict on all the days, we can drive ourselves crazy. And then we flip back to the 'nothing' pattern (no logging, no dieting, no moderating).

May as well know your weaknesses and use them to your benefit. :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED a food scale or NEED to log daily. There is not only one way to diet. It sounds like you're roughly on Krista Varady's ADF plan. On that you can eat freely on your non-fast days (though logging them is fine, too). A pound a week is probably a reasonable expectation. Good luck!

Just sayin' this could be why you only seem to lose 6-8 lbs and then nothing.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Just sayin' this could be why you only seem to lose 6-8 lbs and then nothing.

65706968.jpg
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

I don't understand how this diet would work. (?)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It works on the assumption that "as much as you want" is less than 2x TDEE - 500.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

But in the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll find only one rule: eat no more than 500 calories on Diet Day, eat anything you want and as much as you want on Feast Day, and alternate those two days. That’s it! No counting calories, carbs, fat or protein. No avoiding any particular food; all foods are allowed. There are no complex meal preparations and plans.

In the Every-Other-Day Diet, you’ll unlock the secret to rapid and sustained weight loss and never endure every dieter’s nightmare: daily deprivation. Alternating between “Feast” days in which you eat whatever you want, and “Diet” day in which you eat 500 calories, you’ll lose: pounds, belly fat—and improve your health. Without giving up the foods you love.

It doesn't.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    The Krista Varady plan:

It doesn't.

Bingo.

• TycoonBoo
    TycoonBoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    TycoonBoo wrote: »

But...but...it says right in the intro that calories are directly tied to weight.
    "I don’t deny the importance of calories. Calories absolutely count. And if someone has lost weight, they have necessarily expended more calories than they consumed."

The rest is just a list of complexities that make CICO difficult to nail down. None of it falls outside the CICO balance, though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
  • mandy318
    mandy318 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ^ +1

Me, too. I don't log non-fast days. I think this diet is good for those of us who tend to be 'all or nothing' thinkers. We can diet hard for a day then not at all for a day. Whereas if we try to log all our food on all the days, and restrict on all the days, we can drive ourselves crazy. And then we flip back to the 'nothing' pattern (no logging, no dieting, no moderating).

Exactly why it appeals to me!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ^ +1

And how's that working out?
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, with a none fast, eat what I want day I could blow past maintenance in the first few hours of the day! French toast and a breve anyone?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If I ate 500 calories 4 days a week, that would net me about a 2800 cal deficit per day (assuming I could keep my activity level up which I highly doubt). That would give me over 10,000 calories of deficit that I would need to eat through on "feast days". Could I do it? Probably, but I do think that would make me lose weight. But someone with a TDEE of like 1700 or something would only rack up 4800 calories in deficit. That seems pretty easy to do in 3 feast days...

Weird diet plan... weird.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    All or nothing thinking is a cognitive distortion that can fuel depression, anxiety and anger. I can not recommend it as a viable strategy.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If I ate 500 calories 4 days a week, that would net me about a 2800 cal deficit per day (assuming I could keep my activity level up which I highly doubt). That would give me over 10,000 calories of deficit that I would need to eat through on "feast days". Could I do it? Probably, but I do think that would make me lose weight. But someone with a TDEE of like 1700 or something would only rack up 4800 calories in deficit. That seems pretty easy to do in 3 feast days...

Weird diet plan... weird.

Yeah, I think I could manage it, but my TDEE is about 2900 because of all my cardio. Trying to do that with a lower TDEE would be futile, I think.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ^ +1

Your current method of implementation does not seem to be working well. There have been several suggestions for how to control your diet a little better while following this plan. While you may not like the suggestions of weighing your food or logging more accurately, they could help you stay in line with your deficit better (regardless of how you choose to create that deficit).

You know what they say about repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It wouldn't work for me, the main reason being adherence. No way I'm eating 500 calories every other day. Not happening. The "feast days" wouldn't make the every-other-day misery and starvation worthwhile. It may work for somebody who feels full on 1200 calories per day, but I'm not that person. Even 1200 per day would have me eating the drywall off the kitchen walls.
  • mercuriopro
    mercuriopro Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Counting calories is not always accurate. You could be eating bad food with low calories and not loose weight. It may have to do more with what you are eating. Also, at the beginning of any diet or workout the first 6 weeks you are just burning sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

This is what I am doing and it seems to work.

1. No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any supermarket food is a good rule of thumb.
    3. Consume NO SUGAR!
    4. Fruits only before 12 pm. After is harder to burn.
    5. Eating fat while not consuming sugar does not make insulin.

you can have some fatty foods on your cheat day:
    Avocado, Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and herring, etc.

AVOID like the plague!

Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.
    Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on.
    Wholegrain products are just less bad.
    Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. So only consume them when you are going to work out.
    Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).
    Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.
    Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs, unfortunately.
    Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in awhile. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy.

Check out ddpyoga.com :)